Speed Run Challenge

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My Sapphire No-Starter Speedrun Results:

Here is a screenshot of the Continue screen after defeating the E4.

... and my team.

Pelipper (Modest): Surf / Ice Beam / Shock Wave / Fly
Kyogre (Sassy) @ MysticWater: Calm Mind / Surf / Thunder / Ice Beam
Castform (Hardy): Powder Snow/Hail/Rain Dance/Sunny Day
Geodude @ Soft Sand (Quiet): Strength / Rock Smash / Magnitude / Rock Throw
Wailmer (Naive): Waterfall / Dive / Rollout / Astonish

Wingull/Pelipper did a pretty good job of steamrolling the gyms aside from Roxanne's Nosepass and Wattson. Eventually I got lucky against Roxanne and I caught Geodude for Wattson. Eventually, Pelipper was replaced by Kyogre. This was fun! Obviously this isn't a great time, but it was my second speedrun and my first in Hoenn. :)

My plan was to use Geodude for pretty much the whole game, which in retrospect was better than Wingull the whole game but neither was optimal...as evidenced by the many losses suffered on the way. Also fuck Archie he killed me so many times. I used Shroomish to beat Roxanne, and when I couldn't beat Archie I evolved it to Breloom (it was already like L22) and won that way, and it clutched a couple of other things along the way. I needed Castform to beat Winona and Tate&Liza, actually have it Thunder...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Yeah, I was watching that video, it's pretty crazy the level to which these guys go just to slice off a minute overall or something...

I still can't believe so much time can be made up on things like Karen's Umbreon or Red's Snorlax. Seems really wierd! I'd love to try speed running again, but these guys just are so far ahead of anything i could hope of doing!

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm willing to add people on Skype, and stream in a friendly race against the #orangeisland crew. I missed the last gathering and would love to see who knows what about speedrunning the game. My PB in Blue is 2:02 but that was with a perfect IV'd Squirtle (some of you may know the story lol).

Optomization is key and keeping ahead of your movement; by that, I mean playing the game knowing what your next move is before you've played it.

We could schedule a time this week, assuming there's enough interest. We don't have to set ourselves a goal or decide on the game just yet.

Let's break some world records, Smogon :)

im trying to improve my time on fire red, but im super slow compared to the rest of you. the elite 4 is a bitch and i find myself bumping into trees and stuff constantly. practice makes perfect i guess. rome wasnt built in a day

yellow race vs nexus

caught a L4 nidoran, died to misty, sabrina and final battle, and generally did a few stupid things. overall lots of fun.

nope 1 hour 3 minutes 9.5 seconds anyway speed bar might not exactly count but still i was wondering if anyone did better than that haha im shooting for under an hour next time maybe 45 minutes if i overclock it more lol (:

So I'm finally posting on this thread again.
Pokémon Blue: 2:03 (sloppy, 6 minutes behind SS world record)
Pokémon Yellow transfer run (the run I mentioned earlier where I used Stadium to sequence break the game and get a L100 Nidoking): 1:17

joe345, TASes don't even use the speedup function, they do it by no. of frames/fps rate and that's how they discover time.

Anyway on another note, anyone wanna do a first to Misty race? Definitely would be fun and it won't take long for newer people to learn the route

Technically, any run would count, but all tool-assisted speedruns are timed by the number of frames that the game has run since power-on. That means that any real time gained by using the turbo spacebar will not improve the run at all.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Hold onto your balls! We're blasting off at the speed of light to see who'll be the first in this fight. Rushing for badges, stomping out gangs, this race will soon show who has the best game.

This is the Pokemon Races. Where those who can take out the trash the fastest are rewarded some serious bragging rights.

Object: To race against the clock, defeating the gym leaders and criminal team's bosses that are necessary to reach the elite four, and to defeat the elite four and rival in the fastest total time possible.

How to play: First, decide which pokemon game you wish to race with. Time checkpoints are as stated below, after defeating a gym leader or criminal boss of an area and healing at the nearest pokemon center. Time is stopped and recorded upon receiving your pokemon back from the region's nurse.

()Warning, the following is subject to change to adjust for the game played upon.()

Starting line: Receiving your pokemon.
Checkpoints 1-9: Taking out the Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader/take out the Villians and healing your pokemon in the city or town near that event.
Checkpoints 10 / Finish Line 1: Entering the Pokemon Center of the Pokemon League or entering the Pokemon League before fighting the Elite four.
Finish Line 2 (Optional): Defeating the Last Pokemon of the Champion's Pokemon.

()Warning, the preceding is subject to change to adjust for the game played upon.()

Of course, with this being Pokemon, there has to be some benefit for battling well right? Of course.

Introducing the Battle System

Battle Mode: Switch

Wild Pokemon: If you KO the Wild Pokemon in 1 turn, then you gain 30 seconds off of your time. If in double battles... it will be 2 turns, but you'll gain 1 minute off your time instead.

Trainer Battles: For each Pokemon that you KO of theirs in 1 turn, you can either add one minute to an opponent's time OR subtract that one minute from your time. In Double Battles between two Trainers...it'll be 2 turns that'll gain you 2 minutes to add upon someone or subtract from your own time.

(Only in X and Y) Horde Battles are counted as a 5 on 1 and KOing pokemon in turn one as many as possible will earn you 1 minute subtracted from your time only.

With these kinds of Power ups, and the thrill of the race, for those that make it to the end can gain some points if multible racers are taking the challenge.

[]Optional Difficulty[]
If you add this this is on your own race or race with other opponents that has to be agreed upon.

For those who are risky enough to play so dangerously, this is the equivalent of taking a serious penalty to your time.

If you are blacked out/whited out during the race: For every Pokemon that is on the team whom needs to be revived, add thirty seconds to the time the race is completed. Meaning losing up to three minutes for a team of six.
[]Optional Difficulty[]

(For a 6 Player Race)
1st = 10
2nd = 8
3rd = 6
4th = 4
5th = 2
6th = 1

And of course the racer that gets the most points will win the race.

[]Example of A race in Red, Blue, Yellow, Fire Red, Or Leaf Green[]
Starting line: Receiving your first pokemon.
Checkpoint 1: Taking out the Pewter Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 2: Taking out the Cerulean Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 3: Taking out the Vermelian Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 4: Taking out the Celadon Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 5: Taking out the Fushia Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 6: Taking out Team Rocket's Giovanni and healing your pokemon in Saffron City.
Checkpoint 7: Taking out the Saffron Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 8: Taking out the Cinnabar Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 9: Taking out the Viridian Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 10/Finish Line: Enter Indigo Plateau before fighting the Elite four.
Finish Line (optional): Defeat Gary's Last Pokemon.
[]Example of A race in Red, Blue, Yellow, Fire Red, Or Leaf Green[]

[]Example of A race in Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold, Or Soul Silver[]
Checkpoints 1: Taking out the Violet Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 2: Taking out the Azalea Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 3: Taking out the Goldenrod Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 4: Taking out the Ecruteak Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 5: Taking out the Cianwood Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 6: Taking out the Olivine Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 7: Taking out the Mahogany Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 8: Taking out Team Rocket and healing your pokemon in Goldenrod City.
Checkpoints 9: Taking out the Blackthorn Gym Leader, GET the badge, and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Finish Line 1/Checkpoint 10: Enter Indigo Plateau before fighting the Elite four.
Finish Line 1 (Optional)/Checkpoint 11: Defeat Lance's Final Pokemon
Checkpoint 11/12: Taking out the Vermilion Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 12/13: Taking out the Celadon Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 13/14: Taking out the Saffron Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 14/15: Taking out the Cerulean Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of
the gym leader.
Checkpoint 15/16: Taking out the Fushia Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 16/17: Taking out the Pewter Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 17/18: Taking out the Cinnabar Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 18/19: Taking out the Viridian Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 20/Finish Line 2: Reach the Top of Mt. Silver, before Fighting Red.
Finish Line 2 (Optional): Defeat Red's Last Pokemon.
[]Example of A race in Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold, Or Soul Silver[]

[]Example of A race in Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald[]
Checkpoints 1: Taking out the Rustboro Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 2: Taking out the Dewford Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 3: Taking out the Mauville Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 4: Taking out the Lavaridge Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 5: Taking out the Petalburg Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 6: Taking out the Fortree Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 7: Taking out the Mossdeep Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 8: Taking out Team Aqua/Team Magma and healing your pokemon in Sootoplis City.
Checkpoints 9: Taking out the Sootoplis Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 10/Finish Line: Enter Evergrande before fighting the Elite four.
Finish Line (optional): Defeat Steven's/Wallance's Last Pokemon.
[]Example of A race in Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald[]

[]Example of A race in Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum[]
Checkpoint 1: Taking out the Oreburgh Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 2: Taking out the Eterna Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 3a: Taking out the Veilstone Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader. (Diamond or Pearl)
Checkpoint 3a: Taking out the Hearthome Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader. (Platinum)
Checkpoint 4a: Taking out the Veilstone Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader. (Platinum)
Checkpoint 4b: Taking out the Pastoria Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader. (Diamond or Pearl)
Checkpoint 5a: Taking out the Hearthome Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader. (Diamond Pearl)
Checkpoint 5b: Taking out the Pastoria Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader. (Platinum)
Checkpoint 6: Taking out the Canalave Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 7: Taking out the Snowpoint Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 8: Taking out Team Galatic and healing your pokemon in Celestic Town.
Checkpoint 9: Taking out the Sunnyshore Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 10/Finish Line: Enter the Pokemon League before fighting the Elite four.
Finish Line (optional): Defeat Cynthia's Last Pokemon.
[]Example of A race in Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum[]

[]Example of A race in Black or White[]
Checkpoints 1: Taking out the Striaton Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 2: Taking out the Nacrene Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 3: Taking out the Castelia Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 4: Taking out the Nimbassa Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 5: Taking out the Driftveil Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 6: Taking out the Mistralton Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 7: Taking out the Icirrus Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 8: Taking out Team Plasma and healing your pokemon in Nimbassa City.
Checkpoints 9: Taking out the Opelucid Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 10/Finish Line: Enter the Pokemon League before fighting the Elite four.
Finish Line 1 (optional): Defeat Ghethsis' Last Pokemon
Finish Line 2 (optional, after taking on Ghethsis): Defeat Alder's Last Pokemon.
[]Example of A race in Black or White[]

[]Example of A race in Black2 or White2[]
Checkpoints 1: Taking out the Aspertia Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 2: Taking out the Virbank Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 3: Taking out the Castelia Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 4: Taking out the Nimbassa Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 5: Taking out the Driftveil Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 6: Taking out the Mistralton Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 7: Taking out the Opelucid Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 8: Taking out the Humilau Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 9: Taking out Team Plasma and healing your pokemon in Nimbassa City.
Finish Line (optional): Defeat Iris' Last Pokemon.
[]Example of A race in Black2 or White2[]

=Spoilers=
[]Example of A race in X or Y[]
Checkpoints 1: Taking out the Santalune Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 2: Taking out the Cyllage Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 3: Taking out the Shalour Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 4: Taking out the Coumarine Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 5: Taking out the Lumiose Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 6: Taking out the Laverre Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoints 7: Taking out the Anistar Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Checkpoint 8: Taking out Team Flare and healing your pokemon in Geosenge Town.
Checkpoints 9: Taking out the Snowbelle Gym Leader and healing your pokemon in the city of the gym leader.
Finish Line (Optional): Defeat Dianthe's Last Pokemon.
[]Example of A race in X or Y[]
=Spoilers=

So who's up For a Race?

If you like the idea, let me know.

Just a casual question - what are people's views on the use of glitches in these speedruns? In particular, in red and blue, there's a glitch that enables you to level up a Pokemon to level 100 in a single battle, and another that allows you to walk right through walls, enabling all kinds of ridiculous sequence breaks. In practice these may be too difficult or time-consuming to set up (the set-up is complicated - the level 100 glitch requires the mew glitch, which requires abra, which can take forever to find; walking through walls requires deliberately getting poisoned and carefully managing your HP) but at least in principle you could shave loads of time using them, and they were used in world-record tool-assisted runs until people discovered how to work even more ridiculous glitches. Plus it would be fun to watch.

Just a casual question - what are people's views on the use of glitches in these speedruns? In particular, in red and blue, there's a glitch that enables you to level up a Pokemon to level 100 in a single battle, and another that allows you to walk right through walls, enabling all kinds of ridiculous sequence breaks. In practice these may be too difficult or time-consuming to set up (the set-up is complicated - the level 100 glitch requires the mew glitch, which requires abra, which can take forever to find; walking through walls requires deliberately getting poisoned and carefully managing your HP) but at least in principle you could shave loads of time using them, and they were used in world-record tool-assisted runs until people discovered how to work even more ridiculous glitches. Plus it would be fun to watch.
For this I can see what your getting at. For Hardware, That's not allowed as far as glitching through walls and the like. For level 100 glitches. I think that'll be up in the air for judgement but with me I would and will not allow over level 100 pokemon go into play since that would be unfair for some. Though what I posted is a template so if you think you can improve it I'd be glad to see it happen. (I mean It'd be hard to use glitch tricks since this is checkpoint based.)

I've watched a fair few speeds runs, mainly Werster ones. I love the detail he goes into. I find speedruns to be a thrill to watch, especially with commentary done afterwards explaining everything.

Since hacks were brought up. A speedrun of Snakewood would be baller seeing as opponents get to level 100 through natural progresion in that game, not to mention that you would have to have someone next to you spotting your run because of dungeon reset and unwinnable battles if you step on the wrong warps. (they're intentional flavour wise.) Btw, if anyone is interested in that run I think I might still have the fastest routes through the difficult caves saved somewhere along with the various scripts you can skip such as taking out about a minute of dialogue at a couple of places.

pokemon speedrunning is pretty unique in that the standard categories people run are glitchless ones. i guess it's because the gen one games are so horribly broken that it was more interesting to just play glitchless and the later gens just kind of ended up that way too, but honestly, you shouldn't be asking me. gen five at least isn't technically glitchless, though. but here's a glitched run just because.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)