1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Spelling and Grammar Standards

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Ray Jay, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Calm Pokemaster

Calm Pokemaster
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

The term "PerishTrap" or some variant of it is used often in GSC analyses. Personally, I prefer "Perish-trap" since it otherwise looks like VoltTurn or RestTalk (that is, "Trap" is not a move). Can I get a consensus on this and have it included in the list of coined terms?
  2. Magiphart

Magiphart

Why avoid the "é"? I always make sure to include it, "Pokémon" has never been used in any official work without it!
  3. Calm Pokemaster

Calm Pokemaster
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

The problem with this is that many people cannot type the "é" without copy-pasting it from somewhere else. To avoid unnecessary hassle, we have decided to type it as just "Pokemon".

I have another supposition - conventions such as "SubPunch" "SubCM" "SubSD" are commonly used, and several on-site analyses make use of the terms. My question is, can't we generalize this and make it such that any popular strategy that involves the use of Substitute + some other move should be abbreviated as Sub(move's abbreviation)?
  4. Ray Jay

Ray Jay "The sky's the limit, okey-dokey!"
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

The accented e is, like CP said, pretty much a hassle. Furthermore, it is also a matter of "born and raised"; that is, so many analyses lack the accent already that it is far easier to standardize an accentless e than the opposing view.

Yeah, "Trap" isn't a move so I'm a bit at a loss at this. Personally, I'd say Perish-trap or a Perish-trapper is fine, as trapper is an understood role in the community (see The Pokemon Dictionary) and "Perish" is part of a proper adjective making it a compound noun, at least to my understanding. After some more deliberation we'll add this to the standards.
  5. Oglemi

Oglemi I ask consent before I thrash anuses.
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

It should probably be "Perish trap" without the hyphen, since we don't use a hyphen for Pursuit trapping iirc, and hyphenating it makes it seem like it's also a move or something along that lines.
  6. Oglemi

is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Added this to the OP

7. Ray Jay

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

ok adding to the on-site version! Thanks Ogles!
  8. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I've asked Hipmonlee over IRC, and he is okay with standardizing this for RBY analyses. So can we use sleeper just for RBY analyses? :) Thanks!
  9. Ray Jay

Mentor

• In RBY analyses, it is permissible to use the term sleeper, which is accepted as meaning "a Pokemon that induces sleep onto the opponent".
  10. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Setup / Set-up can be used as an adjective in two ways, so the OP is a bit confusing.

Setup bait, setup fodder, a setup Gyarados (as in a Gyarados that has Dragon Dance but may or may not have already used the move) are all correct.

However, set-up applies to Pokemon that have already set up. So, a Gyarados at +1 because it used Dragon Dance is a set-up Gyarados, but one that has Dragon Dance in its moveset is a setup Gyarados, because it can set up (if that makes sense at all x.x)

Also, ignoring Baton Pass, a set-up DD Gyara is always a setup DD Gyara, but a setup DD Gyara is not always a set-up DD Gyara, kinda like rectangles and squares (I hope that helped to clarify more, instead of being more confusing ;-;)
  11. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Gosh I took quite a lot of time to understand what Jelli was saying even though I wasn't drunk ;_; hope his post made it clearer. Anyway, some questions too.

• Fire-Water-Grass or Fire / Water / Grass cores? (don't think I saw it anywhere >.>)
    • physical-special split or physical / special split?
    Thanks! :)
  12. Jellicent

is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

I would say Fire / Water / Grass cores and physical / special split, personally.

Though, unlike sandz, I'm not sober >.>
  13. Ray Jay

Mentor

Everyone keeps asking me so whatever

• The term Fire / Water / Grass core is accepted as meaning "a core used containing a Fire-type, Water-type, and Grass-type, which is notable for its synergy."
  14. Oglemi

C&C Leader

So, something that isn't really standardized and probably should be: What do we want to call the Toxic poison status?

I'm of the belief that it should be called "badly poisoned", as that is how the game describes it, but then it's hard to describe the condition in the present tense, ie. "Your Pokemon is afflicted with bad poison", which sounds dumb. However, if we decide to word it as Toxic poison to differ it from regular poison, should Toxic be capitalized, or wrote as toxic poison?

What do you guys think?
  15. Perfexionist

Perfexionist

I agree in that I prefer "badly poisoned".

However, if "Toxic poisoned" is being considered, it may help to present an example sentence for reference. It seems like, instead of using "Toxic poisoned" like a verb, it would be better to just say "poisoned by Toxic / Toxic Spikes". Saying so and so is "Toxic poisoned" (using the phrase like an adjective) just sounds weird.

Strictly speaking, I believe "Toxic" in "Toxic poison" should be capitalized, as it is a proper adjective.
  16. sandshrewz

sandshrewz

Thanks for bringing this up Oglemi!

As an adjective etc, I'd favor 'badly poisoned' For example:

• A badly poisoned Pokemon is an easy prey for Torment Heatran
    As a noun / present tense, Toxic poison sounds better I think :d

• Blissey hates Toxic poison more than a burn.
    Bad poison and toxic poison seem as if 'bad' and 'toxic' are adjectives to the poison itself >.> Also might want to note that if regular poison and Toxic poison are used collectively, simply poison should do instead of stating both types.
  17. Ray Jay

Mentor

I've always wrote badly poisoned and I guess I'm misunderstanding where the problem is in the present tense:

Past: Misdreavus was badly poisoned / Misdreavus took damage due to being badly poisoned

Present: Misdreavus is badly poisoned / Misdreavus is taking damage due to being badly poisoned

Unless I'm just missing something which is totally possible
  18. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Can't you use an alt code? Alt + 0233
  19. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

You misunderstand the point. There are two benefits of the non accented e. One, because it is used in analyses so often that even using an alt code would be an unnecessary inconvenience.
    Two, replacing ANYTHING so prevalent in so many analyses would be a logistical nightmare, so we would be changing it for a lot of hassle and hardly any gain
  20. sirndpt

sirndpt
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

just to clarify, can "switch-in" be used both to refer to "the Pokemon that switches in" and "the turn/ act of switching in"?

some examples of the former (from random onsite analyses):
    • set up Calm Mind as they switch out, and hit the switch-in hard
    • Toxic is great for getting residual damage on common switch-ins such as Blastoise
    the latter:
    • Toxic can also be used to cripple several threats on the switch-in

or should the latter be phrased as "on the switch" or "on the switch in":
    • Focus Punch can be used in the last slot to smash Clefable on the switch
    • it still faces the risk of being 2HKOed by powerful hits on the switch in
  21. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Switch-in only refers to the Pokemon switching in itself.

For the other point, I would say use "on the switch in". "On the switch" doesn't necessarily indicate if the Clefable is switching in or out (and Pursuit could technically hit it "on the switch" as well, if it's fleeing).

On that note, would the term "switch-out" be acceptable for a Pokemon switching out, such as "Scizor can nail the switch-out hard with Pursuit"? I don't really see it coming up often, but it's always good to set the standards (you never know if the inevitable gen 6 will bring various Pursuit clones, exit hazards, or some other weird moves).

Also, how cool would exit hazards be? ^.^
  22. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Switch-out sounds really awkward.
  23. Oglemi

C&C Leader

OK some things:

- The term to describe Toxic-induced poison is "badly poisoned."

- Switch-out is a no as far as I'm concerned

this is correct for the latter

And finally:

I'm making an executive decision to say that CurseLax is to be spelled like so, in order to fall in line with the likes of CroCune and stuff. This goes for nearly any smushed together name.
  24. sirndpt

sirndpt
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

tyraniboah too? or is that an exception because - actually where did the boah part even come from, lol
  25. Oglemi

C&C Leader

Tyraniboah will be the exception I think. IDK where the name came from actually...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)