Spending the Day at the Beach

Its almost impossible to run a successful OU team nowadays without some sort of weather. While i usually tend to go with rain teams, i have tried sand teams on occasion. Even though this is a pretty unoriginal team, it has faired pretty well for me so far but seem to get stuck against some teams.

Tyranitar is the obvious choice for a sand team due to Sand Stream, sky-high stats, and insane unpredictability. For this team i chose to go with a specially defensive version to give him staying power and to provide a special wall for my team.

Hippowdon is another mainstay for sand teams with Sand Stream. He adds great defensive synergy with Tyranitar by being defensive on the physical side. Having 2 weather inducers is one of the main benefits of Sand by greatly increasing my odds of winning weather wars.

Reuniclus is a great pokemon on sand teams IMO because it is immune to its effects, has a different typing from most pokemon found on sand teams, and is also one of the few special attackers that perform well in sand.

Terrakion is one of the most fearsome sweepers in the game, and performs outstanding with his double dancing set in the sand thanks the Sp Def boost he gets, allowing him to setup boosts easily.

Yeah, its scizor. He fits on basically any team, so yeah.

Techniloom is one of the most important releases of BW2. His spore alone can prove his worth, effectively taking at least one of the opponents pokemon out of the game and letting him setup.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant; 252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Speed
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Techniloom is an absolute beast. I generally lead with him, as most pokemon he faces he either outspeeds or threatens. He usually leads with spore, but against slower teams i may use swords dance as they switch out. His dual stabs rip teams apart, especially with full attack investment and technician and life orb boosts. He helps the team by denting the opposition right off the bat, crippling an enemy with sleep, and hopefully returning mid or late-game as a revenge killer/cleaner. Max speed adamant gives him full damage output and max speed allows him to tie or outspeed most politoeds and outspeed univested base 100s, such as tentacruel.

The main hinderances to breloom are his lack of speed (partially made up for with mach punch), his frailty, weakness to status, and short life span due to life orb and sandstorm recoil.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Brave; 252 Hp, 4 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

This is similar to tyranitar's standard specially defensive set, but with some key differences. His main job is to provide sandstorm throughout the battle, check strong special attackers, and eliminate specific threats. Crunch is a consistent stab move to deal damage, while pursuit lets him damage ghosts, psychics, and politoed/ninetales switching out. Ice beam allows him to take out threats such as gliscor, dragons, and great coverage overall while fire blast hits steels and adds to coverage.

Tyranitar is extremely prone to status and can struggle breaking through certain pokemon such as jirachi due to his lack of attack investment and lacking physical coverage.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish; 252 Hp, 244 Defense, 12 Special Defense
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Hippowdon is my teams physical wall, who combines with tyranitar to cover both physical and special hits and provides sandstorm to support the team. Stealth rock helps my sweepers do their jobs better and is very helpful for this team that tends to cause many switches. Slack off increases hippowdons longevity while earthquake is a very reliable stab move. Ice fang rounds off the set by hitting flying types and allowing him to check many dragonite, salamence, and landorus variants.

Hippowdon, like tyranitar, is very status prone. He also hates special attacks and struggles with defensive pokemon with his underwhelming attacks.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly; 252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Terrakion is my teams best cleaner and boosting/late-game sweeper. I usually bring him in on something mid-game, fire off a powerful attack to eliminate or dent an opposing pokemon, and then save him for a late-game sweep. When his checks are sufficiently weakened or gone, he will come out and attempt to sweep. With his phenomenal stabs, he can use 2 boosting moves. Rock polish is used when the enemy has a pokemon that can outspeed and destroy him while swords dance will be used for that extra push against more defensive pokemon. Setting up is made even easier with the sp def bonus he receives under sand.

Terrakion has few flaws, but if he does have any it would be his susceptibility to priority moves, status, average bulk, and pokemon that resist his only 2 moves.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant, 248 Hp, 252 Attack, 8 Special Defense
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

The infamous scizor. Scizor has many roles on my team. He is the sole steel type, bringing many key resistances to the team. He is a great revenge killer and can scout well with u-turn. He joins tyranitar in the job of pursuit-trapping many key pokemon with superpower completing his coverage.

In case you havent noticed a trend, scizor is the 5th pokemon susceptible to status. Other than that, the only things taking scizor down are the repeated taking of damage from switching into attacks/entry hazards and fast threats that dont care about bullet punch.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
IVs: 30 Attack, 30 Special Attack, 2 Speed
Modest; 252 Hp, 4 Defense, 252 Special Attack
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Finally, a special attacker. Reuniclus is an absolute monster and will usually take out at least 2 of the opponents pokemon when setup up properly. Trick room is the crux of this set, and perhaps the second most important thing on the team behind sandstorm. With every pokemon on my team being reasonably slow, save terrakion, trick room is a great support move for both reuniclus and the whole team. Psychic is an absolutely devastating move while focus blast grants great coverage. Hidden power fire is chosen over shadow ball to take out unsuspecting scizor, help against jirachi, and damage steel types more reliably. Reuniclus is the only pokemon on the team not afraid of status so he can also act as a status absorber.

Reuniclus main problem is powering through pokemon that he cant hit hard enough with the given moves, such as jellicent, and pokemon that hit him hard as he lacks significant defense investment and recover.​

While i find this team to be greatly successful, they are very status weak and can struggle with entry hazards due to their frequent switches. This team also lacks a dedicated wall, instead relying on tanks to take hits and deal with specific threats. Overall, when played correctly, this team can be very hard to deal with.

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey,

Pretty solid team, jimboslice149! I find that Life Orb Celebi can be a threat to your team, as it can KO Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Terrakion and Reuniclus with a STAB Leaf Storm, while being able to KO Scizor with a super-effective Hidden Power Fire. Additionally, it completely walls Breloom, resisting both Mach Punch and Bullet Seed, and not being crippled by Spore, as its status is cured upon switching-out. It can then proceed to eliminate Breloom with a Hidden Power Fire. I also find that Choice Specs Latios can be troublesome for your team, as it can keep spamming really powerful Draco Meteors. At the exception of Scizor, none of your team members can adequately switch-into a Draco Meteor, and your entire team is outsped by that powerful dragon. To help solve your Celebi and Latios problems, I would strongly recommend a Choice Scarf Tyranitar over your current variant. It can outspeed both Latios and Celebi, and trap them with Pursuit, or take them out with a powerful Crunch coming off a massive 134 Base Attack Stat. It also helps you deal with Reuniclus. Stone Edge is its strongest move, being able to revenge-kill several opponents, like Volcarona, Gyarados and Dragonite. In the last move spot, we have Superpower, who can wreck Terrakion and Ferrothorn. The set can be found below. My last recommendation is to utilize Roar over Ice Fang on Hippowdon. It lets you get rid of Gliscors behind a Sub and Dragon Dancing Dragonites who would easily set up on you and take you out otherwise. It also racks up the hazard damage inflicted to the opposing switch-in, weakening the opponent constantly. I don't have much else to add - cool team, and good luck!

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf | Sand Stream
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch
~ Pursuit
~ Superpower

I appreciate the input. For Celebi, a timid life orb leaf storm will do ~86-98% damage, so i might/should be able to retaliate with crunch/pursuit. Actually, specs latios only does ~45-53% to tyranitar so i can just pursuit him to death. Since i find him more useful in a defensive/trapper role, im not inclined to changing him. Also, for celebi, since i have yet to face him in my many matches and he is not extremely common, i can just sacrifice a pokemon to his leaf storm and pursuit him to death with scizor/tyranitar instead of changing my team around too much.

As for Hippowdon, i can try roar but he does a fair job against dragonite with ice fang and can successfully beat gliscors without toxic 1 on 1 with ice fang thanks to his massive defense.

One weakness I can see in your team is Offensive Calm Mind Jirachi. If it comes in on something like your Scizor locked into Bullet punch, It can OHKO 4 members of your team after +1, and 2HKO your tyranitar after +1 too. The only pokemon in your team that can stop Jirachi's onslaught is your Reuniclus. But if the opponent pairs the Jirachi with something like a Tyranitar or a Scizor that can trap and kill your Reuniclus, you're pretty much screwed. One thing that you can do is use a Landorus, which can survive any one hit from Jirachi (barring crits) and OHKO with STAB Earthquake. Terrakion is easily replacable by a Rock Polish Landorus, which can serve as a Jirachi check, wallbreaker, and late game sweeper. Sand helps him even more, as it can break sashes/multiscale for him, and as an extra plus he gets a Sand Force boost from it.

Hi there!

This is a pretty solid team you have here, your defensive core of Tyranitar and Hippowdon supporting your 4 sweepers well. I do see quite a weakness to VoltTurn, as Rotom can Volt Switch out of 5/6 of your team with ease, while your only electric immunity is Hippowdon, who will not be switching directly into Rotom in fear of the Hydro Pump. The second part of the VoltTurn core - Scizor, also looks problematic for you to face. Once Rotom Volt Switches out from one of your Pokemon, Scizor can come in and revenge or gain momentum pretty easily. It revenges Breloom and Terrakion pretty easily, while outspeeding your Reuniclus and Tyranitar and U-Turning out. If you don't switch, you lose said team member, if you do switch, the chain continues and you risk losing even more team members. This is especially threatening to your team as you have no spinner and no way of preventing hazards. To help with this problem, I suggest you try out an Offensive Calm Mind Latias over your current Trick Room Reuniclus. Calm Mind Latias looks like it patches up a lot of the problems your team faces, it gives you a solid answer to common VoltTurn cores utilizing Rotom and Scizor, as well as checking Life Orb Celebi well - something that others have listed as a threat to your team. Given that your team was built to deal with opposing weathers, Latias gives you a fantastic check to the common opposing weathers, Rain and Sun. With it's great bulk, it easily sponges boosted Water and Fire attacks, aimed at your other team members. While you lose Trick Room, you gain the ability to combat opposing weathers which is arguably more important. Not to mention Latias can beat bulky annoying Steels such as Ferrothorn just like Reuniclus, as well as having instant recovery.

Another big threat I do see to your team is offensive Quiver Dance Volcarona. To beat it, you pretty much need Stealth Rock up, as Volcarona can set up on Scizor, Reuniclus, Tyranitar and even Breloom when you have already put something else to sleep. From here, it can get to +1, and hits everything on your team super effective apart from Hippowdon, who can't do a whole lot in return. To help with this, I recommend that you try out a Choice Scarf Terrakion over your current Double Dancing set. Choice Scarf Terrakion gives you the ability to revenge +1 Volcarona, as well as other mons at +1, such as Salamence, Dragonite and Haxorus. Choice Scarf Terrakion is especially helpful against opposing weather teams, especially Sun teams, which do seem to be a big problem for this team. This change actually gives you a solid revenge killer, something which your team currently lacks. It does also seem a little redundant to run SD Breloom and SD Terrakion, both of which accomplish the same thing, except Breloom does it arguably better. Choice Scarf Terrakion also goes hand in hand with the powerful priority on your team. A solid revenge killer in conjunction with Breloom's Mach Punch and Scizor's Bullet Punch, making it a lot harder for your opponent to set up safely.

Finally, I think that you should try Whirlwind > Ice Fang on Hippowdon. Everything that is hit hard by Ice Fang can be Whirlwinded out. This is especially helpful against things that are hit hard by Ice Fang such as Gliscor, Dragonite and Salamence. All of which need a few boosts to beat Hippowdon in a one on one scenario, which means free turns for Hippowdon to set up Stealth Rock as well as being able to Whirlwind them out. Whirlwind over Roar also means you can phase out Soundproof mons among Baton Pass teams, who can look annoying as you lack something with Taunt, or anything else with a phasing move.

Cool team, hope I helped!

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Even though offensive calm mind Jirachi is rare enough for me to not worry about him, i think i can change Terrakion's set to Choice Band. With Jolly, Choice band, and Earthquake he has a 72% to OHKO 4/0 Jirachi and will do 80-94% to 252/4 Jirachi, while even offensive Jirachi cannot OHKO with the sandstorm boost doing 83-98% with +1 Psychic. This set will also feature X-Scissor as the 4th move to deal with Celebi and other threats. In sandstorm this Terrakion also effectively takes out +1 Volcarona with the Sp Def boost as Volcarona's Offensive Quiver Dance set can only 4HKO with +1 Bug Buzz/Fiery Dance. I would prefer to keep Terrakion over Landorus also, since i am usually much less successful at using Landorus.

Volt-Turn does present a problem to me, especially Rotom-W. Scizor is usually taken care of with Reuniclus luring him and OHKOing him with a combination of Trick Room + Hidden Power Fire. However, Latias seems to be capable of doing the same thing and probably more with your given set. She can even take a Will-O-Wisp like Reuniclus, but can also somewhat deal with Trick which destroys the rest of my team. Latias also provides another solid check to most weather teams, like you said, helping me win weather wars easier.

Also, now that I am thinking about it, Phazing would probably be a good replacement for Ice Fang on Hippowdon most of the time so i will try Whirlwind instead.

The following changes will be made:

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid; 4 Hp, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

(Over Reuniclus)

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly; 252 Attack, 4 Special Defense, 252 Speed
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish; 252 Hp, 244 Defense, 12 Special Defense
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)