SPL 9: Doubles Discussion Thread (Week 7)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion

Here we go again! Another SPL, another year to get hyped and watch exciting matches!
SPL 9 Commencement
SPL 9 Scheduling Sheet
SPL 9 Official Spreadsheet

This thread is for discussing anything related to Doubles in Smogon's most prestigious tournament! The draft is now finished so here's a place for us to discuss DOU in SPL, the players selected and any other SPL related things about DOU

Here is the full list of players taken with the likely doubles players being:

Tigers: MajorBowman
Scooters: miltankmilk
Raiders: Braverius, Kaori
BIGS: Jhon
Sharks: Demantoid
Wolfpack: marilli
Cryonicles: Biosci, Tman
Tyrants: stax
Ruiners: Croven
Classiest: EmbCPT

Feel free to express your heartfelt support for your friends and toast to the confusion of your enemies!

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Don't have anything against anyone but I'm kinda confused and a bit disappointed by this draft lol. Glad that at least a lot of the Snake players who did well are being picked up again :3

- Classiest drafting EmbCPT makes sense in that they're a heavily Eurocentric team so it makes sense for them to pick someone who's awake at roughly the same hours as the rest of the team, but between school and VGC commitments (notably OCN International in mid-Feb, and the start of a season is always pretty hectic) I can't see his activity being super high. I don't see anything wrong with him being a starter but to put him as a starter and solo is probably a bit much? Hopefully they figure out who they'll want to field for when he inevitably gets tied up in VGC (aka real $ circuit)
- Croven starting alone? I forgot he even played this game lol
- WHO let the Raiders get Zach AND Sam for like 8500 total lmao it's over
- Not a lot of DOU support here, and I can't believe people missed out on drafting S-tier (or Tier 1 whatever) DOU support user talkingtree. smh

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't have anything against anyone but I'm kinda confused and a bit disappointed by this draft lol. Glad that at least a lot of the Snake players who did well are being picked up again :3

- Classiest drafting EmbCPT makes sense in that they're a heavily Eurocentric team so it makes sense for them to pick someone who's awake at roughly the same hours as the rest of the team, but between school and VGC commitments (notably OCN International in mid-Feb, and the start of a season is always pretty hectic) I can't see his activity being super high. I don't see anything wrong with him being a starter but to put him as a starter and solo is probably a bit much? Hopefully they figure out who they'll want to field for when he inevitably gets tied up in VGC (aka real $ circuit)
- Croven starting alone? I forgot he even played this game lol
- WHO let the Raiders get Zach AND Sam for like 8500 total lmao it's over
- Not a lot of DOU support here, and I can't believe people missed out on drafting S-tier (or Tier 1 whatever) DOU support user talkingtree. smh
I wanted tree so badly but we had no money :cry:

Pretty much agree with everything 51 said, kinda sad to see so little DOU representation but I think everyone that got drafted will put on a good show. Looking forward to another fun season :D

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The long awaited N10sit Power rankings

1. Stax - this dude is like the best dou tournament player in the history of forever and will absolutely take your girl out to dinner, make her pay, and still get laid after

2. Majorbowman - if this guy could predict the weather as well as he can read his opponents he’d be in the meteorologist hall of fame. Huge calves and an even bigger heart means this guy is the teammate you want to have.

3. Demantoid - the only one of the 5 DUU guys that’s actually worth a shit when it comes to playing a real match, demantoids gonna mish mish his way into the playoffs with either really insane plays or really insane luck (or both)

4. Miltankmilk - it’s time for milk to bring back the original miltankmilk legend from his 5-0 farm league performance, and i believe in his ability to play his games without punching a hole in his screen halfway through

5. Marilli - nyaa

6. Jhon - this guy i don’t know very well so i can’t come comment on his girl stealing abilities but from seeing him play as of late i know he’s gonna do well or at least okay, also can you believe his names not John

7. EmbCPT - forgetting that i missed edu the first time i wrote this, edu falls into that “i rarely play This but I’ll still fuck you up in it” category where biosci is so I’m hopeful that edu will have a good season but think there are better players in the mix

8. Biosci - I’m fairly certain the TD’s awaken biosci from a cryogenic sleep every season to play DOU, with that said I’m ready for him to go 5-4

9. Braverius - zach has played Pokémon in the last 6 months so I’m confident in his ability to win anywhere from 1 to 6 games or go 0-1-I’m going to focus on npa

10. Croven - Croven by himself seems like a weird team choice but i know that Croven will bring both the sauce and dressing to all of his matches, or at the very least he can let his twin brother nido rus play for him (sorry i ranked u last bud ily)

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-premier-league-9-week-1.3624536/

Week 1
[RUIN] Croven vs marilli [WOLF]
[CRYO] Biosci vs miltankmilk [SCTR]
[CONG] EmbCPT vs stax [TYRN]
[SHRK] Demantoid vs MajorBowman [TGRS]
[BIGS] Jhon vs Braverius [RAID]

SPL Finally kicks off! Week 1 is up and we've already got 1 match completed.

Storylines:

- Is this the return of the on-form SPL Biosci / Braverius? Is being ranked low on the power rankings the ultimate motivator for the skilled yet overall low-activity veterans?

- We have many players with their first-ever SPL experience: Demantoid, Jhon, and EmbCPT also all make their SPL debut. Demantoid and Jhon has had a fantastic Snake Draft record to put their name out there. While the smogon OU tournament scene is relatively unfamiliar with Edu, many Doubles players - including his week 1 opponent stax who idolizes him - have high expectations.

- Demantoid vs MajorBowman is probably the marquee matchup for week 1. MajorBowman is a fearsome opponent but has had an overall very poor track record against Demantoid in tournaments. Will he finally break his jinx?

Last edited:

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Big trends I've noticed:

Metagross at almost 50% usage (9/20)
Next highest mega wrt usage is Gengar at 25% (5/20)
Landorus at 65% usage (13/20)
A lot of Manectric for some reason, I honestly can't say I get it though
Zygarde might be making a bit of a comeback

Most if not all of the games so far have been pretty entertaining and I'm liking a lot of the teams I'm seeing too. Looking forward to some more great matches!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
This thread is criminally underused, not unlike n10sit (he's the criminal of UnderUsed). Anyway, we got some good matchups this week:

SM DOU: Kaori (50) vs (50) MajorBowman
Absolute highlight match, the last two undefeated SM DOU players face off against each other. Sam seems to be back on track after a disastrous Snake, and it's notable that he picked up a W in the Seasonal against Pinoy Pwnage, who's currently probably about as good at this game as Croven (both were A-tier players in the past but dipped for an extended period). On the other hand, Jake is absolutely on a tear through both SPL and NPA thus far, and with S-tier support from a seemingly matchup-clairvoyant talkingtree it's going to be hard for samta to deliver another W for the season.

SM DOU: Biosci (60) vs (40) marilli
Biosci's tournaments only ever go one of two ways: he either does really well and ends near the top of the DOU pool, or he ends up with a mediocre score because all his opponents bring Mega Scizor against him. This tournament's gone pretty well so far for him, while marilli has been underperforming so far (only beating Croven) in contrast to his hot start in Snake. The logical choice looks like Biosci, but it wouldn't be a huge shock upset if marilli takes this set.

SM DOU: miltankmilk (45) vs (55) stax
Like marilli, miltank's been struggling to match his Snake performance, and hasn't quite hit his stride yet. His two losses so far have been brutal, and in particular he's just come off one of the roughest combinations of matchup and that little bit of luck in recent memory. Meanwhile, stax has been doing pretty well in SPL, even if it's nothing flashier than the occassional :l and :hmmm:. Once again the logical choice is probably stax, but miltankmilk is still a force to be reckoned with.

SM DOU: EmbCPT (80) vs (20) Croven
The (20) is Edu missing a crucial Stone Edge

SM DOU: Demantoid (45) vs (55) Jhon
Both players have had fairly rough starts to their season so far so it's a little hard to pick either to come out on top. The similarities continue when you consider that both players seem to have been overextending a bit lately in terms of creativity (Demantoid with his Mimikyu and perhaps Gastrodon, Jhon with his Darkrai and perhaps Entei), so it'll be an interesting game for sure and I'm personally looking forward to seeing who brings the weirder team and who retreats back to the safety of Koko/Metagross goodstuffs. One notable advantage Jhon has here is that his username can't actually be mished, unless you count something like Mishonethan, which is kinda lame, and which I also just regged to stop Demantoid from doing just that.

[12:11] %Arcticblast: that nick is disgusting

Arcticblast also said it's disgusting so w/e

Hey it's Midseason! Thats pretty cool! Lets talk about mids and weeks 1-4. So far no DOU players have been picked up at mids but seeing someone like Level 51, qsns, aray or Lunar, (after Kaori's endorsement), picked up wouldn't surprise me too much. Idk if more than one person will really get bought this year because every team's doubles slot has proven to at least be capable so far, everyone having at least one win. Speaking of which lets talk about the first half of SPL!

My takeaways from the first few weeks are that Bowman and Biosci have returned to form from last year keeping the top 2 records into mids. After that theres a big jumble of people in the middle of the pack. A bit of a rough start from marilli and Jhon but i could see them winning 3 of their next 4 and pulling even knowing what they're capable of. Demantoid, Stax Edu, Sam and I are all chillin with 2 wins which maybe is less than we've hoped for (sam's played super well tho and his loss was a bit of an outlier from what I expect to see from him the rest of the tour) but hey hard to be too mad at 2-2 at this point in the tour. Croven got his first win which was neat but we don't get to see as much memeing about cr0-4ven.

As for what I expect going forward is kind of more of the same, we've got a strong crop of players and I kinda think we'll see a big cluster of even-ish records for the whole tournament, probably with bowman leading the way but anything can happen. Lets keep this thread alive this week since there are no matchas :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)