SPL UU Mega-Thread

Won't comment too much on this game cause i'm obviously biased. But this is easily the best match of UU so far. Some nice doubles, innovative sets + underrated mons in the metagame and overall just a well played match. Key turns were when Jirachi didn't T-wave Darm as it came into SR, that play would have won radian the game right there and apparently people think the Crobat sack was a 'choke' but i'll go through and show you why it isn't.

His Escav (the only thing that could deal with Reuni) was at 30% meaning after coming in on rocks, if Reuni was at +1 escav dies. Then he can get off the defog with Crobat meaning Darm doesnt die to SR switch ins. But given that Flare Blitz only did 63% to Reuni U-turn wasn't even scratching half so RH could easily stall that if he tried to U-turn spam vs Reuni into Diancie and try to crit with Diancie. So either way, at that point in the game Limitless couldn't win it so him losing to Reuniclus or Krook was irrelevant.

GGs to both though and good luck in the future rounds Ken :]

yeah that was a nice game, i thought we both made a couple bad plays but it was still pretty good. i saw ipl's successful dpp team which was revolved about spamming thunder wave and trolling people with machamp. i thought about doing the same because why not! UU even has mega pidgeot to help the hax fest. it ended up i didn't even need hax to win, so it feels even better! as for ken's team, i found it really unexpected, but still looked like a balanced team, with some interesting sets like chesto diancie. he legit wasn't weak to any relevant threat, unlike probably every team used so far ?_?, so props to him too.

i don't think he "threw the game" by saccing bat as some people are mentioning; actually, my plan was sweeping with reuniclus after i had sufficiently weakened his escavalier. if he sacs darm, he's swept by scarf knock off, and if he sacs esca, he's swept by reuniclus. overall, i think both sides played well!

T-wave reuniclus was mad cool, really enjoyd that last game between you two. Chesto Diancie is definitely gonna get tested by me on this uu ladder.
I thought both teams brought by rh and Limitless were solid choices, escavalier showin his prowess

So hyped for games to come, nobody slackin all yall bring the a game

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I found king uu's team extremely stall weak. I can't really imagine it breaking through any defensive core at all. I would have loved to see the kyurem set more so that instant death was sort of sad for me. Don't really think meruu had too large of a team advantage if king uu realized ampharos was the best jirachi counter and didn't let gligar die so easily. It depends on the kyurem set I guess though. I don't think there were really bad plays except for letting ampharos counter a little too late. I totally feel using sd again on jirachi since it would have been pretty much as easy sweep at +3 if jirachi wasn't scarfed and had a psychic move.

Did the limitless radianthero game take place yet?

yes pif it did

overall, i really enjoyed watching radianthero vs limitless and i agree that it's been the best match of uu so far. ken brought a pretty cool team that used underrated threats like reg diancie (i dont know if it was ever confirmed that retests are allowed, but that's besides the point), and escavalier. on the other side, radianthero brought a pretty cool squad, with a really good core in Pidgeot + Krookodile + Jirachi, although his team deviates from the standard sets. I especially like radianthero's use of work up pidgeot oO overall, not much to say about their playing and imo they played the best they could and there's not much I can say that others haven't. :]

On a side note, I'm really hyped up for Lowgock vs IronBullet. GL in the rest of the games in the coming weeks everyone!

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-32511

Lowgock vs IronBullet93 went down. Lowgock sporting a balance type team with hail, using some cool pokemon like Granbull while IronBullet using cool stuff like Entei. I think the crit turn 14 was huge for Lowgock, really giving him the momentum he needed. Overall was a good game. Abomasnow showing how strong it really is. Would have liked to see how it would have gone down without the crit, but that's pokemon for yah.

I think the crit turn 14 was huge for Lowgock, really giving him the momentum he needed. Overall was a good game.
Yep i do think the same . I really liked both teams , when i saw Grandbull i was like :"Hey , i'm sure this thing is underrated , let's see how he does" . And Blastoise using Roar on Vaporeon was a cool turn , not expected at all ! IB93 was a bit unlucky but yeah , was a cool fight , gg both .

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Cool match, I especially liked Roar on Blastoise as it obviously helps you get past Vaporeon, who pretty much stops the rest of your team 1 on 1. The crit definitely sucked as Entei would've helped deter Abomasnow cleaning up. However, such is life and it was still a fun game to watch. GG to both!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah the crit was unfortunate but looking back I probably shouldn't have risked Entei getting damaged anyway as it was a vital mon seeing as he packed Abomasnow. Also I was really surprised that it turned out to be a CB Infernape, all through the match I thought it was Scarfed as none of his other Pokemon had one. That was when I reckon I lost as Jirachi now had no health left to take on Snow. Nevertheless overall it was a cool game, gg Lowgock!

That crit was real unfortunate but i do think he shouldnt have risked the entei getting hurt just cuz of how aboma with ape in the back weak his team was besides entei. Either way shadow ball rachi was a sick meta call and i really liked the use of lefties krook. gg to both, a little sad to see hax swing a game so hard but alas such is pokemon

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I like these games and I think they are getting progressively better or at least more fun to watch. Not that the first few games were bad or anything but I still like these later games more and more. Good job players keep it up ^_^

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like these games and I think they are getting progressively better or at least more fun to watch. Not that the first few games were bad or anything but I still like these later games more and more. Good job players keep it up ^_^
To quote the famous Nugget Bridge:

"I did my best, I have no regrets..."

No but actually, I played shit and will hopefully provide far more entertaining battles. Loving all the battles for this week, UU pride.

Ironbullet93 vs Lowgock

I thought this was a really cool game, cool sets, different cores and mons used with no glaringly huge weaknesses on either side. Unfortunately, like most other people have stated turn 14 really did decide the game, no burn + a crit on EQ meant that instead of Entei basically getting a kill every time it came in on something slower, it bit the dust. Nothing really big happened though, Roar Blastoise is an amazing idea to beat out the extremely popular Vaporeon. Lowgock's use of Toxic Spikes were also good, a tactic Radian also enforced in order to pressure the defogger/spinner to have to come in and get rid of them due to how affected IB's team was by them (at the point he got them up Blastoise had died so it was pretty much GG). Overall, another solid game, good to see a bit of innovation being thrown around but good luck to both in their future rounds :toast:

JeyTheGrey vs bugzinator

Omfuga? Is that you fren? haha but nah Specs Kyurem is a lil too good right now so no surprise Jey is taking advantage of it. From team preview, it's pretty easy to see Reuniclus had a field day with Jey's team had it been Shadow Ball Reuniclus, but unfortunate he had Focus Blast. From there it became an uphill battle for bugz, the crit on Vaporeon was unfortunate but I spose that is what happens when you sit there trying to wish stall a Kyurem, a crit is bound to happen. Hone Claws Aero made a cameo and boy did it prove to be a threat. With Jirachi weakened, bugz had absolutely nothing to take on Aero, resorting to switch stalling around in order to get more and more intimidates off. The end of the game was kind of lame with bugz getting flinched but that's why we all use Iron Head on Jirachi (the only win I could see was if he managed to PP stall all of his Iron Heads then I think bugz might have had a good chance had but 60% on top of the 25% paralysis is so bullshit to break out of). The PO guys really brought it to their game and I can say i'm thoroughly impressed with how they have both picked it up and if these two with those teams were played against any of our Smogon UU players, we would have gotten a fair run for our money. GGs to both and good luck against the real competition ;]

its interesting to see "non uu players" play uu. gives a different perspective for me who primarily plays uu. for some of the teams used i would definitely make changes to make the function more efficiently etc, but i think that since the caliber of players is so high it really doesn't matter how good the teams are to a certain extent. good matches and plays all around. (except king uu wtf were u doing)

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
IronBullet93 vs radianthero156 is probably the highlight match of the week. Both very versed players who i'm expecting to bring something new to the table.

Lowgock vs Flareblitz is definitely something that I am itching to see. Whether or not Flareblitz has adapted to Oras UU well will be a deciding factor. Lowgock hasn't been playing badly at all. He will definitely put up a strong fight.

namehtmas vs bugzinator Sam said he would bring more creative teams eh? Personally, a win is a win so i don't think that matters, but i am very curious to see what he brings this week vs PO Lord bugzy. Bugzy is craving his first win, should be a good fight.

Omfuga vs badabing Thank God you changed your name back. This should be a great match. Badabing is awesome at adapting and picking up new tiers and Omfuga is itching for some revenge for last week. Really excited to see how he has adapted and changed up his playstyle.

JeyTheGrey
vs Meru Always love seeing someone who mains PO UU play as i think it is awesome that they are able to change it up to Smogon UU and perform well. I might sound like a fan boy in all of my descriptions but UU is pretty stacked imo.

Last edited:
as always, interesting matchups.

Lowgock vs FlareBlitz - FB is a really solid player, both playing- and teambuilding-wise, as shown by his overall spl record, deeds and price. however, I think lowgock is the UUer with the most chances of getting the best record on this tournament. not only he showed he's a tough opponent after a grand slam winning performance, he also has support from a whopping 5 very good UUers in koko, hikari, flcl, bad ass and key. still, will be a great match and it's hard to properly predict who will come out on top.

JeyTheGrey vs Meru - I think meru is a solid builder and is getting better at playing, but jey has been simply flawless, as shown in his 9-0 POCL run. i think he'll clutch it, lets see what happens though.

namehtmas vs Bugzinator - this is another interesting matchup because both are solid players. i've played both a few times and can confirm this. imo sam has the edge here because he's more experient at teambuilding for his tier, in comparison with bugzy who came from PO, but this should be a tight match.

IronBullet93 vs radianthero156 - gl

Omfuga vs badabing - many thought omfuga was a joke after going for a relatively high price (the highest between everyone of the listed above) and having a poor performance last week. however, i think he suffers from the lack of teammates that are good in UU, which is explains why he is struggling. i definitely expect omfuga to regain form and do well on this tournament and this is a good chance to prove himself, as even though badabing is a solid player, his skill in UU is literally unknown. again, unpredictable match.

aim

pokeaimMD
Replay of Bugzy vs Sam: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-33334

Bugzy played really aggresive with Entei early on and it paid off for him, burning and weakening Gligar as well as Kingdra, which could have been a problem for Jirachi. In the end Entei was too much for Sam, knocking out Empoleon after living Aqua Jet and Florges. Sam almost brought it back with his fast CM Rachi after some hax. Damn. Entei is really showing how good it is this spl haha

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)