Resource [SPOILERS] Early VGC 2017 Interesting Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, celesteela outclasses metagross. I ran some calcs against a mew with focus blast and close combat, and I found that celesteela has the same physical bulk as metagross, as well has higher special bulk. Also, heavy slam hits harder than meteor mash. Here's the calcs:
252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 87-103 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mew Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 37-44 (19.7 - 23.5%) -- possible 5HKO
0 SpA Mew Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 50-59 (26.7 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 94-112 (53.7 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Mew Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 45-54 (26.1 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 Atk Mew Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 45-53 (26.1 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Did you account for Zen Headbutt getting a 50% boost?

Oh shit that's cool. Can't wait to pick my copy up, I'm gonna see how cool Oranguru is as a TR setter, and possible Porygon2 and A-Exeggutor
Let me rephrase, Zen Headbutt will get a 50% boost from Psychic Terrain. Not that Zen Headbutt got an increase in base power.

Sorry for a question not related to VGC17 specifically, but I wasn't sure where else to put this. Since it's likely Lunala will eventually be legal for a VGC format, does anyone have a suggestion for a nature before I catch mine? I assume Modest is a safe choice.

Sorry for a question not related to VGC17 specifically, but I wasn't sure where else to put this. Since it's likely Lunala will eventually be legal for a VGC format, does anyone have a suggestion for a nature before I catch mine? I assume Modest is a safe choice.
I don't think Lunala will be legal this format, but maybe slightly next year but I seriously doubt it considering '16 was a disaster.

I don't think Lunala will be legal this format, but maybe slightly next year but I seriously doubt it considering '16 was a disaster.
Hence why I said eventually. I imagine it'll be '19 if they do it again.

Regardless, I'd like to catch one assuming that it is legal in case I want to use for whatever that season is.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I would probably go for a Timid nature to at least speed tie other Lunala. However, I believe Legofigure11 is giving that away so Modest is probably the next best nature.

So I had an idea. Be warned, it's probably a bad idea. Stomping Tantrum. Looks useless, right? 75 BP, 150 if used after a move failed. Only available on Primape, Marowak/Marowak A, Golurk, Guzzlord and Bewear.

Narrowing this down to Marowak-A who looks to be particularly good as an anti-meta pokemon, he will generally want to carry Bonemerang over EQ because of grassy terrain. Some rudimentary calcs show that while Bonemerang does more damage to Xurkitree/Koko, for example, Tantrum remains a 2HKO on both even without the failed move boost, only becoming a 3HKO on nearly max defense sets. But if you get the boost of course, it's an OHKO. Normally the boost would be a waste of time to obtain, but due to how Marowak works (just by being alive, he prevents Koko/Xurk from doing anything) sometimes a double protect will be a worthwhile play, and if it fails, Tantrum will give you a consolation prize provided you survive the turn.

Tantrum's also 100acc compared to 90 for Bonemerang, it's a minor thing but minor things often win games.

So I had an idea. Be warned, it's probably a bad idea. Stomping Tantrum. Looks useless, right? 75 BP, 150 if used after a move failed. Only available on Primape, Marowak/Marowak A, Golurk, Guzzlord and Bewear.

Narrowing this down to Marowak-A who looks to be particularly good as an anti-meta pokemon, he will generally want to carry Bonemerang over EQ because of grassy terrain. Some rudimentary calcs show that while Bonemerang does more damage to Xurkitree/Koko, for example, Tantrum remains a 2HKO on both even without the failed move boost, only becoming a 3HKO on nearly max defense sets. But if you get the boost of course, it's an OHKO. Normally the boost would be a waste of time to obtain, but due to how Marowak works (just by being alive, he prevents Koko/Xurk from doing anything) sometimes a double protect will be a worthwhile play, and if it fails, Tantrum will give you a consolation prize provided you survive the turn.

Tantrum's also 100acc compared to 90 for Bonemerang, it's a minor thing but minor things often win games.
Potentially useful yes, albeit against a very specific matchup with mons that benefit from Tapu Koko. Most users and abusers of electric types are mostly going to be running a rain team with Pelliper/Politoed as well for the Thunder and Hurricane spam. And ofc, Water types receive a fat buff in the rain, easily raining on Marowak's parade. Completely useless against rain, which has the potential to become much more viable in this meta, and is only really helpful for Koko + Raichu-A. It's a nice gimmick but isn't entirely viable

After a little testing I want to share some of the sets I've found to be effective:

Celesteela @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe (Defensive and Speed investment are team specific)
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Celesteela has been my favourite Pokemon to use so far. It can close out games really comfortably thanks to it's great natural bulk and Leech Seed recovery. Celesteela has a pretty strong offensive presence too, especially if it can get a boost to its Special Attack. Steel- and Fire-type coverage allow to it the most Pokemon for at least neutral, but Grass Knot or Energy Ball could be used to patch team coverage. Investing in Celesteela's defences is pretty crucial, but it's too early to say what are the important benchmarks to hit. Lum Berry could be used over Leftovers just to keep it awake or un-burnt, Leftovers just gives you better longevity. Sitrus Berry is a waste on Celesteela as it should be alive for more than four turns, so Leftovers will give you more HP and keeps Sitrus Berry open for another Pokemon to carry.

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Taunt
- Moonblast / Heal Pulse
- Protect

Tapu Fini is just a decent bulky Water-type. It's two main niches over other bulky Water-types are Misty Surge giving you a pseudo-Safeguard, and having Taunt alongside decent Speed. The third slot is team specific, Fairy coverage can be helpful offensively, whereas Heal Pulse can just provide some longevity to its teammates. Nature's Madness could also be run on this slot to help break bulky opposing Pokemon. Building for mixed bulk is probably the best bet until attacks that it needs to survive become more apparent as the meta stabilises.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Thunderbolt / Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Nihilego is very strong and relatively fast, and is really one of the only Ultra Beasts that can consistently make use of Beast Boost. Special Attack is Timid Nihilego's best stat, so Special Attack gets boosted after each KO making Nihilego good in the late game. Sludge Bomb OHKOes most Fairy-type Pokemon at neutral, and all of them after a boost. Offensively Rock-type STAB is great and doesn't require much explanation. Power Gem OHKOes Salamence, so Hidden Power Ice is really only for Garchomp. This is however relatively high risk given Choice Scarf is Garchomp's best set at the moment. Further limiting Hidden Power Ice's effectiveness Yache Berry and Focus Sash are also commonly run on Garchomp. Accordingly, the third slot can be used for other moves to patch your teams coverage options. Nihilego preforms well alongside a Tailwind user like Whimsicott, allowing it to outspeed more or less everything.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)