XY OU Spooning birds, a MegaZam balance team

Sup bitches it's Doff and today im gonna go over my most recent OU team, built around a MegaZam + FatChomp + TalonPainintheass core <3
As you read please enjoy this tune, which will hopefully be consistent with this RMT.

Teambuilding Process

I wanted to try out Mega Alakazam and Garchomp as they seemed to work well together
065-mega.gif 445.gif
I added talonflame as it helps cleaning up in case Mega Alakazam falls
065-mega.gif 445.gif 663.gif
I needed a defogger to make sure talon has longevity so i tried Latias
065-mega.gif 445.gif 663.gif 380.gif
I decided to try Sharpedo as another physical attacker that takes care of talon checks
065-mega.gif 445.gif 663.gif 380.gif 319.gif
I chose Jirachi to tank dracos and add overall bulk
065-mega.gif 445.gif 663.gif 380.gif 319.gif 385.gif
I replaced Latias with Starmie for access to rapid spin as rocks on the other side help a lot
065-mega.gif 445.gif 663.gif 121.gif 319.gif 385.gif
I replaced Sharpedo with Tornadus-T to help with EQ spam and for knock-off support
065-mega.gif445.gif 663.gif 121.gif 641-therian.gif 385.gif
I replaced Jirachi with Heatran as team was looking weak to stall
065-mega.gif 445.gif 663.gif 121.gif 641-therian.gif 485.gif

THE FINAL TEAM

065-mega.gif445.gif
663.gif
121.gif
641-therian.gif
485.gif

THE INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS

065-mega.gif

The Spoonisher - Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

The monster himself. After a single calm mind it threatens to OHKO almost the entire metagame, and it's easier than expected to set up due to the incredible offensive pressure it provides. At +1 Shadow Ball has a great chance of OHKOing Latias, while Focus Blast 2HKOs most chansey variants after stealth rock. Psychic is just nice OHKOing Rotom-w and such. The speed is enough to outspeed random Mega Beedrills and other scarfers e.g. Tyranitar, with max SpA and the rest in HP to live some weaker hits.

445.gif

Free Hugs :] - Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Alakazam's high speed and frail defenses attract so much priority its dumb. And garchomp is so fat it eats up priority hits all day long, taking about 20million% health from the opponent with Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin, weakening Zam's checks. Rocks help Zam and Talon sweep, racking up damage with Dragon Tail. EQ is to threaten Excadrill and Heatran, while Fire Blast can catch Ferrothorns and Scizors off guard and weaken them severely.
641-therian.gif

Nando's - Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 140 HP / 116 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

Again, more of a support set for Torn-T. Hurricane and Heat Wave lure in Chanseys that proceed to get knocked off. Hurricane helps with Keldeo and other torns, while heat wave again damages ferro and scizor. U-turn is great to keep momentum and abuse Regenerator. Max speed for other Torns, Lati@s and base 110/120s, with some HP investment to complement the Assault Vest. SpA evs to actually somewhat threaten things with hurricane.
663.gif
Cancer - Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

I hate this, you hate this, everyone hates this. Its just too good. Taunt allows it to set up on all Heatrans bar random ancientpower variants, as well as clefable and other stally mons that can't damage it. Monoattacking set as flare blitz is not necessary due to fire coverage elsewhere in the team. Max attack adamant to annihilate the meta after a single SD.

121.gif

Diamundo - Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Recover

The rapid spinner of the team. A bulkier set was preferred to increase its and Talon's / Torn's longevity. Reflect type allows it to check mons like Ferrothorn, Bisharp and Mega Venu. Scald is easily abused to fish for burns and deal decent damage. EVs allow to outspeed up to base 111s and have a fast reflect type or rapid spin if needed.

485.gif

Hi Clef - Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

This Heatran is here to help out with Clefs and to trap and slowly kill things. Earth power takes care of other Heatrans that are otherwise a problem, and Magma Storm traps switch ins and is actually surprisingly powerful even uninvested. The combination of Storm, Taunt and Toxic has slayed countless chanseys switching in feeling safe, as well as other mons like Mandibuzz. Storm also gives great momentum when it doesnt miss allowing for potential set up opportunities with Talonflame or MegaZam, depending on who is trapped. Max HP to maximise bulk and max Speed to outspeed and trap base 70s and such, or to KO weakened heatrans.

All in all, a solid Semi-Stall type team. I peaked #140 with this team before the ladder was replaced by the suspect test. Proof just here in case anyone actually cares <3

140.PNG

Will reserve the first comment for the threat list and replays, as I don't actually have any right now.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed :D xoxo

-TheDoff

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey nice team! I'll make this one a short one since you're still working on your Threat List and Replays. Most of these are fixing natures, and I can name some threats as well. Dark types like Bisharp, Weavile, and Crawdaunt can use a powerful Knock Off, and nothing on your team resists it. Garchomp can take it, but it'll get worn down quickly, and switching into an ice type like Weavile isn't the best idea. Electric types like Thundurus (especially the mixed set) and Raikou also pose a huge threat as most of your team is weak to Thunderbolt + HP Ice.
Impish > Lax because there's no need to sacrifice Special defense, and Fire Blast usually 2HKO Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory (the main targets for Fire Blast). You can also change your EVs to 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe to retain bulk, and most importantly, always outspeed Bisharp. Outspeeding Bisharp forces your opponent to use Sucker Punch and take 29% recoil damage (39 if they have Life Orb), or the more likely option of switching out.
Timid > Hasty because Knock Off and U-turn aren't your main attacks meant to knock out opponents, and you'll want to have some bulk to take physical moves like Bullet Punch better. You could also run Focus Blast > Heat Wave to 1HKO Bisharp and deal more damage to Tyranitar.
Jolly > Adamant with the same EVs to always outspeed Weavile. You won't lose much power, and you'll be able to outspeed threats that outsped you before such as Thundurus, Raikou, Scarfed Magnezone, and Starmie.
Timid > Jolly since you're a special attacker and don't have any special attacks. Jolly makes Magma Storm and Earth Power weaker, and Timid allows you to maintain the same speed without sacrificing special attack. You could also run Flash Cannon > Earth Power to deal more damage to fairies like Clefable and Mega Altaria. The downside of Flash Cannon is being unable to touch other Heatran or water types like Keldeo, but you'd probably switch out immediately, so its not too bad.

I'm still working on new team members to help out with the mentioned threats, and hopefully other people can help out with that. Hope I helped ^_^

Hey nice team! I'll make this one a short one since you're still working on your Threat List and Replays. Most of these are fixing natures, and I can name some threats as well. Dark types like Bisharp, Weavile, and Crawdaunt can use a powerful Knock Off, and nothing on your team resists it. Garchomp can take it, but it'll get worn down quickly, and switching into an ice type like Weavile isn't the best idea. Electric types like Thundurus (especially the mixed set) and Raikou also pose a huge threat as most of your team is weak to Thunderbolt + HP Ice.
Impish > Lax because there's no need to sacrifice Special defense, and Fire Blast usually 2HKO Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory (the main targets for Fire Blast). You can also change your EVs to 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe to retain bulk, and most importantly, always outspeed Bisharp. Outspeeding Bisharp forces your opponent to use Sucker Punch and take 29% recoil damage (39 if they have Life Orb), or the more likely option of switching out.
Timid > Hasty because Knock Off and U-turn aren't your main attacks meant to knock out opponents, and you'll want to have some bulk to take physical moves like Bullet Punch better. You could also run Focus Blast > Heat Wave to 1HKO Bisharp and deal more damage to Tyranitar.
Jolly > Adamant with the same EVs to always outspeed Weavile. You won't lose much power, and you'll be able to outspeed threats that outsped you before such as Thundurus, Raikou, Scarfed Magnezone, and Starmie.
Timid > Jolly since you're a special attacker and don't have any special attacks. Jolly makes Magma Storm and Earth Power weaker, and Timid allows you to maintain the same speed without sacrificing special attack. You could also run Flash Cannon > Earth Power to deal more damage to fairies like Clefable and Mega Altaria. The downside of Flash Cannon is being unable to touch other Heatran or water types like Keldeo, but you'd probably switch out immediately, so its not too bad.

I'm still working on new team members to help out with the mentioned threats, and hopefully other people can help out with that. Hope I helped ^_^
Thank you very much for the rate Team Pokepals! Very helpful indeed.
The dark types can be very much an issue, as weavile can 6-0 the team if heatran is weakened. The nature changes are all changes i considered before other than the heatran one which was a dumb oversight -.-''
The only thing I'll keep i earth power on heatran as other heatrans are a huge threat to this team too and they like to stay in and stealth rock on my own, so taking ~80% off them early game is always nice.
Ill try the team with the changes you suggested and update on how it goes :D

Reactions: TPP
Just a quick thing: Dont do that 40ho thing on zam, Zam has piss pour defense anyway so just go for max max that way you speedtie with other mega zams and mega aeros, I know they are not common, but I think you really shouldnt put yourself at a disadvantage for like 1% more chance to survive a certain move. :]
I might write a more indepth rate a little later.

Just a quick thing: Dont do that 40ho thing on zam, Zam has piss pour defense anyway so just go for max max that way you speedtie with other mega zams and mega aeros, I know they are not common, but I think you really shouldnt put yourself at a disadvantage for like 1% more chance to survive a certain move. :]
I might write a more indepth rate a little later.
40 HP EVs make a difference.

It helps live priority and coupled with a calm mind, allows you to live special hits sometimes.

oh really it does? I am sorry if so, I dont really use mega Zam, but if it helps you survive something go ahead and keep it, didnt know that.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
40 HP EVs make a difference.

It helps live priority and coupled with a calm mind, allows you to live special hits sometimes.
I've been playing around with the calc and it looks like 40 HP EVs lowers the damage by about 2-3%

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 186-220 (74.1 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 186-220 (71.2 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 126-148 (50.1 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 126-148 (48.2 - 56.7%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

well the question is how does that really help you? you cant come in on rocks anyway, and u survive after rocks, guaranteed. doesnt matter if u are at 1% or 4% since die to everything anyway rite?

I've been playing around with the calc and it looks like 40 HP EVs lowers the damage by about 2-3%

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 186-220 (74.1 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 186-220 (71.2 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 126-148 (50.1 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 126-148 (48.2 - 56.7%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO
tbh its perhaps more so feasible to place the EVs in Defense OR Special Defense, so you can make more of a difference. I will EDIT in calcs later, when I get home.

TPP

Head TD
well the question is how does that really help you? you cant come in on rocks anyway, and u survive after rocks, guaranteed. doesnt matter if u are at 1% or 4% since die to everything anyway rite?
I agree that the 40 HP doesn't look to useful, and with the help of the damage calc, max speed Mega Alakazam can outspeed scarf pokemon with base 83 and lower speed. Running 216 Speed EV means you can outspeed up to base 80 scarf users, so the extra speed isn't really needed either. HP is probably the better stat to dump the rest in, so even though it might not look helpful, there's nowhere else to put them ;)

Like I said I think having the speedtie with other M zams and M Aero is better than dumping the 40 into hp since they wont be helping much on there and winning a speedtie which is a 50% chance is better than a 1% better chance to survive a certain hit, imo. Note that both are very situational.

TPP

Head TD
tbh its perhaps more so feasible to place the EVs in Defense OR Special Defense, so you can make more of a difference. I will EDIT in calcs later, when I get home.
I think putting the extra 40 in SpD might have a bigger impact as its base stat is a lot higher for special defense. I played around with the EVs so the 16 and 24 should be the most effective I think.

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 16 HP / 24 SpD Mega Alakazam: 183-216 (71.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 16 HP / 24 SpD Mega Alakazam: 121-144 (47.4 - 56.4%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO

tbh I dont really know why we are calcing keldeo. like why would he switch in zam on a specs keld when he has starmie and torn?
and no one would stay in with their keld on a zam either...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)