Squirtle (Analysis) [QC 1/2]

(@Blackglasses!)

[Overview]

• Able to fill a niche role with double priority.
  • Has a large physical movepool to work with.
  • Can play a defensive set well with good defenses and Rapid Spin
  • However, has middling speed, average attacking stats
[SET]
name: Double Priority
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Torrent
nature: Adamant
evs: 212 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

Set Description:
  • Double Priority allows it to act as an effective revenge killer.
  • Aqua Jet boosted at low HP
  • Zen Headbutt allows Squirtle to hit the various fighters of the tier, where Ice Punch allows him to hit Grass-types harder considering Poison- isn't their secondary typing.
Additional Comments:
  • Return has good neutral coverage
  • Bite allows Squirtle to hit Pururiru, a common switch-in, while Brick Break can be used to hit Tesshiido for super-effective damage.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Tesshiido is a nuisance, so Magnemite is a good partner for Squirtle.
  • Ghost-type Pokemon are a huge pain, so pairing Squirtle with Stunky to trap them is also a good idea.
[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Boil Over / Surf
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Toxic
move 4: Foresight
item: Evolution Stone / Oran Berry
nature: Calm
evs: 4 HP / 236 Def / 244 SpD / 12 Spe

Set Description:
  • Squirtle has good bulk and some good opportunities to switch-in
  • Can utilize Foresight to allow for unblockable Rapid Spins
  • Hidden Power Fire allows you to hit Tesshiido and prevent it from getting up hazards while Toxic hits Pururiru.
Additional Comments:
  • Squirtle has Counter and Mirror Coat to surprise and possibly snag a OHKO on an unsuspecting Pokemon
  • Hydro Pump if you want to have more power at the cost of accuracy.
Counters:
  • Tesshiido can switch-in rather easily if Squirtle is not using Hidden Power Fire but cannot block Squirtle's main objective
  • Powerful Electric- and Grass-type attacks will demolish Squirtle, so pairing him with something like Munchlax or a bulky Grass-type will help.
[Team Options]
  • Stunky deals with Ghost-type Pokemon, namely Duskull and Pururiru.
  • Magnemite is able to deal with enemy Bronzor who can give Squirtle trouble.
  • Bulky Grass-type Pokemon like Tesshiido are able to cover Squirtle's weaknesses.
[Optional Changes]

• Counter or Mirror Coat could go anywhere on the Rapid Spin set, but its tough to find a slot for them.
  • Yawn deserves a mentoin for its ability to possibly put a counter to sleep and rack up hazard damage.
  • Squirtle has Water Spout working off his slightly higher Special Attack stat, but you'll rarely find a time to use it at full HP considering his low speed.
[Counters}
  • Pururiru is an excellent Squirtle counter, but it must be weary of Bites from the Double Priority set or Foresight Rapid Spin from the Rapid Spin set, as well as Toxic.
  • Most bulky-Water type Pokemon can beat Squirtle, minus Toxic variants.
  • Tesshiido also gets a mentoin for his ability to take little damage from Squirtle's assaults.

Squirtle can't use Rain Dish in LC, it only comes male and level 10.

Is it worth mentioning special attacks on the spin set? Hydro Pump has a lot more BP, and Ice Beam over Ice Punch too.

Also, AJ in the last slot of the spinner set, or even slashed with Waterfall if you like Foresight, is cool for revenging stuff.

When you mention Bronzor in counters, do you mean Tesshildo?

I don't think the Rapid Spin set should be physical, I think it would benefit from having a more defensive moveset as well. For example:

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin

move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Boil Over / Surf
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Toxic
move 4: Foresight

item: Evolution Stone / Oran Berry
nature: Calm
evs: 4 HP / 236 Def / 244 SpD / 12 Spe

Surf / Boil Over hits stuff. Toxic is good with Surf if you'd rather hit Pururiru than Tesshido, however; Tesshido is more immediately threatening than Pururiru due to Spikes. Rapid Spin + Foresight should be required imo.

Oh, thanks for pointing out that it can't learn Rain Dish. You could mentoin them on the Rapid Spin set. Squirtle doesn't have many special options outside of Hydro Pump and Ice Beam either, and having Zen Headbutt is really helpful in a Dokkora infested metagame. I dunno, I just feel physical is better. I considered AJ on the Rapid Spin set but I think Waterfall works a lot better, I might give it a slash or put it in OO though.

Also, thanks for the Tesshiido nitpick.

EDIT: after a bit of consideration I think I'm going to go with Heysup's set.

QC Approved: 1/2 (assuming below changes are made)

(17:09) ShinyAzelf: Hey
(17:09) ShinyAzelf: I think it looks good
(17:09) Lord Liam: great :)
(17:09) ShinyAzelf: Just mention Brick Break in AC of Double Priority
(17:09) ShinyAzelf: So you can take care of Ferroseed
(17:09) Lord Liam: Oh right Break Break exists
(17:10) Lord Liam: I was looking through his movepool in the PO teambuilder and never came across that
(17:10) Lord Liam: Squirtle's got quite a few neat things
(17:10) ShinyAzelf: Haha
(17:10) ShinyAzelf: I saw it on Serebii
(17:10) ShinyAzelf: Anyways, say that if Brick Break isn't used, then Magnemite can be useful, since it can trap Ferroseed with Magnet Pull and OHKO it with HP Fire

I believe Wailmer also gets Water Spout and has higher bulk, speed and offensive stats to better utilize a scarf set. I dunno, I don't really think we should add a Scarf set onto this Pokemon if another Pokemon does it better, I could add it into OO though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)