[STABmons] Serperior

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
QC: unfixable / Ellipse / Eevee General
GP: Rhythms / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

Serperior is very useful in the STABmons metagame because of its access to an excellent ability in Contrary. With a very high base 113 Speed and a strong 130 Base Power STAB move to abuse Contrary with to gain boosts in Special Attack, Serperior is a top threat. Because of its access to Spore to cripple its checks and counters and gain free turns, it can sweep unprepared teams at a moment's notice. Serperior's Speed allows it to outrun notable Pokemon such as Mega Diancie, Mega Latias, Gengar, and Thundurus. Unfortunately, its stats, other than its Speed, are subpar, and it often needs to get to +2 or +4 in Special Attack in order to successfully sweep. Serperior also has limited coverage, as it is heavily reliant on Hidden Power, and it is held back because it is very predictable, but it is nonetheless a very good Pokemon in STABmons.

[SET]
name: Contrary Sweeper
move 1: Spore
move 2: Leaf Storm
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers / Miracle Seed
ability: Contrary
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spore gives Serperior free turns because it puts the foe to sleep. Leaf Storm is a strong STAB move that gives Serperior +2 Special Attack when it's used in conjunction with Contrary. Hidden Power Fire hits the majority of Steel-types, such as Aegislash, Bisharp, Magnezone, and, in particular, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor, hard, with the latter three Pokemon being 4x resistant to Leaf Storm. Hidden Power Ground nails the usual Serperior switch-in, Heatran, very hard while still hitting Bisharp and Aegislash for the same amount of damage as Hidden Power Fire, as well as hitting Magnezone for 4x damage instead of 2x. Hidden Power Ground also hits Mega Charizard X. Substitute allows Serperior to dodge status that would otherwise halt its sweep such as paralysis, and it provides Serperior with protection against revenge killers. Taunt can be used over Substitute to shut down status move users and can prevent Chansey from using Transform when Serperior is low on health, which could lead to a counter sweep, or Whirlwind, which can phaze Serperior.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Serperior to outspeed the multitude of Pokemon in the base 110 Speed tier, such as Mega Diancie and Gengar, as well as Thundurus, and 252 Special Attack EVs let Serperior hit as hard as possible. Contrary is the ability of choice so that Leaf Storm's negative side effect is actually positive, giving Serperior a +2 Special Attack boost instead of a -2 Special Attack drop. Miracle Seed boosts the power of Leaf Storm, whereas Leftovers offers passive recovery and allows Serperior to set more Substitutes.

Usage Tips
========

Serperior is rather frail, so it relies on getting a safe switch in. A slow U-turn or Volt Switch is excellent and is very helpful to Serperior. Serperior can also be brought in on a predicted Defog, as this will grant it an evasion boost that can be useful in dodging priority and other moves from potential revenge killers later on in the match. Once Serperior is on the field, you should generally use Spore first. If the target is asleep, Serperior should then set up a Substitute. Finally, it should attempt a sweep by nabbing boosts with Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm only has 8 PP, and Serperior is very reliant on using it to gain boosts and sweep, so be careful when choosing to attempt a sweep. In general, Serperior should attempt to sweep late-game, after its checks and counters have been weakened or KOed. Serperior can be also brought in early-game, but, in this stage of the game, it should generally just be for the utility of using a fast Spore to become an anti-lead and to spread sleep for teammates to rip holes in the opposing team. Substitute should be set up on predicted switches or when the foe is asleep to prevent status ailments and provide a buff against revenge killers such as Choice Scarf users and faster Pokemon such as Mega Pidgeot and Weavile. If you're using Taunt on Serperior, use it against stall Pokemon when you predict status moves such as entry hazards, Toxic, recovery moves, and Transform.

Team Options
========

Magnezone is a great partner to trap and remove the Steel-types that trouble Serperior, such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Bulky support Landorus-T is also a good teammate for Serperior, as it provides Defog support, entry hazard support, and a safe switch in via U-turn. Clefable can provide Wish and Heal Bell support to Serperior, boosting its longevity. Heatran is an amazing teammate, as it has excellent defensive synergy with Serperior because it resists or is immune to all of Serperior's weaknesses and can also dispatch Steel-types with ease or set up entry hazards. Espeon and Deoxys provide screens and entry hazard control, Espeon with Magic Bounce and Deoxys with a fast Taunt before setting up entry hazards in return, and then heal up Serperior with Lunar Dance, allowing it to have another shot at sweeping. Lunar Dance is especially helpful, as it restores the Leaf Storm's PP as well. Rock-types, such as Terrakion and Tyranitar, are good teammates as well, as they can easily switch in against the opposing Flying-types that force Serperior out and set up entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Dragon Pulse can be used to eliminate bulky Dragons that avoid the 2HKO from Leaf Storm or Hidden Power Ground. Aromatherapy is useful to remove status from Serperior if you aren't using Substitute. Knock Off is useful for removing Chansey's Eviolite, as Chansey is 2HKOed by Leaf Storm without its Eviolite, and it hits Gengar for solid damage as well. Giga Drain can be used for recovery, although having two Grass-type moves offers very bad coverage, and Leaf Storm is necessary on Serperior. Glare is useful for spreading paralysis, especially for Ground-types such as Landorus-T on the switch, as well as paralyzing Grass-types, including opposing Serperior and Mega Sceptile. Dragon Tail racks up more chip damage on Serperior's checks and counters by forcing them out and making them take more residual damage from switching in on entry hazards and boosted Leaf Storms. Synthesis is useful, as it allows Serperior to recover health from passive damage and entry hazards when it's facing sleeping Pokemon and thus can be used over Substitute.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Venusaur are immune to Spore and resist Leaf Storm, which is Serperior's main way of doing damage. Mega Venusaur and Mega Sceptile both take neutral damage from Hidden Power Fire as well. Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur threaten Serperior with their Poison-type STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Aegislash, Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Heatran can come in relatively easily on Serperior, as they resist its STAB move, Leaf Storm. However, they must watch out for Hidden Power, and all but Ferrothorn hate Spore.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast Pokemon such as Icicle Spear Weavile and Mega Pidgeot, Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T, and priority users such as Fake Out + Extreme Speed users, including Braviary, Kangaskhan, Stoutland, and Ursaring, can defeat Serperior. Other effective priority users include Sableye, as Prankster Topsy Turvy halts attempted sweeps, and Thundurus, as Prankster Thunder Wave severely cripples Serperior. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users and most Choice Scarf users can't revenge kill Serperior if it is behind a Substitute, however, which also blocks Thundurus's Thunder Wave.

**Focus Sash Alakazam**: Focus Sash Alakazam can break Serperior's Substitute and KO it or steal its boosts and try to sweep on its own.

**Fast U-turn Users**: Fast U-turn users such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Talonflame can break Serperior's Substitute, allowing it to be revenge killed easier or forced out.

**Specially Defensive Unaware Clefable**: Specially defensive Unaware Clefable isn't 2HKOed by Leaf Storm and can proceed to stall it out; however, it doesn't like Spore.

**Sound-based Moves**: Sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst hit through Serperior's Substitute and can KO it, especially from faster Pokemon such as a boosted Volcarona and Choice Scarf Meloetta.

**Special Tanks**: Bulky specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey, Assault Vest Meloetta, and Porygon2 can all come in safely after Serperior has used Spore and deal with it via Whirlwind, Boomburst, and Ice Beam, respectively. Porygon2 can also run Whirlwind.

Last edited:
InfernapeTropius11, the Overview should be in bullets. Since this is WIP, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you weren't going to write the entire thing x_x. Letting you know now so you don't waste your time writing the entire thing to just have to re-edit it with bullets.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
InfernapeTropius11, the Overview should be in bullets. Since this is WIP, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you weren't going to write the entire thing x_x. Letting you know now so you don't waste your time writing the entire thing to just have to re-edit it with bullets.
Yeah I was going to do the rest of it in bullets, I just thought the Overview was supposed to be written (I saw other like that). I can change that though, thanks for letting me know n_n

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Yay! This is ready for QC n_n

I have a question though:
Would you like me to include Glare and Synthesis in OO? I would not recommend running them (and I have tested them, Glare conflicts with Spore and it doesn't find the time/doesn't have enough bulk to use Synthesis) but they may seem good to newer players so I was wondering if I should include a note of discouragement on those two moves.

Actually, before I QC this, I have a few concerns to address before I can go in-depth. I don't see any appeal in Dragon Pulse. The bulkiest, and one of the most common, Dragon-types in the tier, Mega Latias, is 2HKOed by a +2 Miracle Seed Leaf Storm. It's also put out of commission by Spore, so it's getting overwhelmed by Serperior regardless. I think the only coverage it should run is Hidden Power Ground, which lets it beat the most common counter: Heatran. The set order should be Substitute, then Spore, as well. The set title is SubSpore, but it's listed as SporeSub, which is just funky. Substitute | Spore | Leaf Storm | Hidden Power Ground. I don't see why the second set is there either, really, so I'd like them both combined because they effectively do the exact same thing. If you ask me, combining the set into one set entitled Standard with the moves Spore | Leaf Storm | Hidden Power Ground | Synthesis / Taunt / Substitute is the way to go. Then you mention Glare in Moves. It runs Miracle Seed and a standard 252/252+ set, so no need for funky sets. I feel this is the most effective set, and having two sets is a subpar option.

Tag me once you've combined the sets and you've changed Usage Tips, Set Details, and Moves to reflect the set. HP Fire and Dragon Pulse are OO options.

Alright, InfernapeTropius11, here's a QC check.

Overview

Overview really needs to be buffed up. It does say what Serperior does, which is good, but it's not specific whatsoever. Speedy doesn't say what it outspeeds, what STAB is affected by what ability, and why is being frail bad? What hits can it not take? Neutral, even resisted, any? It needs to be a lot more concise. Don't say it 'gains' from STABmons, because it doesn't flow well. Say something like "Spore is useful because it cripples..." It's like how you're not supposed to say "with the introduction of ORAS, x gained a Mega Evolution. This affects y because..." if that makes sense. Buff up your Overview a lot, and then 2 and 3 will make sure it's up to par as well.​

Set

Slash Leftovers over Miracle Seed. It's a useful move alongside Substitute in particular and Serperior doesn't like being worn down in general, so it's a good option to run.​

Set Comments

Moves: "hitting other bothersome Steel-types" needs to be more specific. Ferrothorn isn't hit SE, neither is Scizor, so it has to be clearer. Aegislash, Magnezone, etc. Your reasoning for Glare is incorrect. It's not bad to use alongside Spore by any means, as they serve different purposes. It's used to hit Ground-types, specifically Landorus-T, on the switch in so that they get crippled. It also cripples Grass-types, and spreading paralysis is a great utility overall.

Set Details: The way you word Contrary is weird. It doesn't grant Serperior boosts, it reverse the effect of a move, which then applies boosts. I'd reword it to "Contrary makes it so Leaf Storm's negative side effect is actually positive, giving it a +2 boost in the process." or something to that effect, nature, whatever.

Usage Tips: You need to expand this section. While Serperior is one-dimensional, it doesn't really describe how to use it, just basic strategy. Mention when Serperior should try and begin a sweep, when it should avoid to sweep, and when to use each specific status move. For example, you need to know when to use Taunt and when to use Synthesis because they're bad if used incorrectly.

Team Options: Rhyperior is really uncommon, and doesn't offer that much for Serperior. Rock-types are good, however. Terrakion, Tyranitar, etc all have good synergy with Serperior, but Rhyperior should not be mentioned because then the reader might think that Rhyperior is actually a pretty good Pokemon when in reality it is not.​

Strategy Comments

Other Options: Mention Knock Off. After a Knock Off, Chansey is 2HKOed by Leaf Storm, so it's an alternative to running Taunt which has the utility of also hitting Gengar for solid damage. It's subpar, but it's a good move as utility. Mention Giga Drain because it recovers a lot of health, but double Grass is incredibly poor coverage. As crazy it sounds, I've found Dragon Tail to be an interesting option on Serperior. Forces its checks out, racks up more damage, and eases sweeping, all while gaining more and more chip damage. You can implement Dragon Tail if you'd like, I'm kinda that guy who runs phasing on offensive Pokemon so it may not be the best. :p

Checks & Counters: Its main coverage is not Dragon Pulse, and all Steel-types get crippled by Spore and repeated Leaf Storms or HP Ground. Should move down. Move Ferrothorn out of Grass-types and put it just in Steel-types. The other Grass-types actually get overwhelmed at +6, but then again: what doesn't?! Bisharp's not common, and even when it's used it's not running Sucker Punch typically, so don't mention it in priority. Change Fast Pokemon to **Revenge Killers**. Condense this with Priority, they're the same thing. Bulky Attackers doesn't make sense, remove that. Clefable is 2HKOed by Leaf Storm after the tiniest bit of prior damage, and it hates Spore, so it's not really a check nor a counter because it does not force Serperior out. Remove that as well. Your C&C section should look like this:

**Grass-types**:
**Steel-types**:
**Revenge Killing**:​

After you've implemented everything, tag me so I can give it one final glance before I stamp it. :)

Overview:
  • You discuss how it has subpar bulk, but that really applies to all of its stats. Make sure that the users know that it can be underwhelming until it's gotten to +2 or +4
  • I don't think this is the correct place for specific examples of Serperior's fragility, they should be moved to usage tips to help prove a point. On this note, just end the sentence at "it relies on getting a safe switch-in"
Standard attacker
Set details:
  • Change the set name to Contrary Sweeper, it gives a better overview of what the set is than just standard
Moves:
  • Put Hidden Power Fire as the first slash over Hidden Power Ground. I know that unfixable said to put Hidden Power Ground in specifically, but fire is the better option, able to beat Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Grass types immune to spore, and Scizor, which threatens you more in a vacuum than Heatran, and works better overall against teams not carrying Heatran or running multiple steels, not all of which can be spore'd.
  • Substitute MUST be the only move in slot 4. It is far and ahead the optimal 4th move for Serperior, giving it an inherent resilience to FakeSpeed that it needs to be successful and not just imme
  • Unslash Taunt and Synthesis and only give them a mention in other options. Taunt and Spore work better together if the pokemon was more of a pivot, but since Serperior will only come in 1-3 times a match at most, Spore on its own is generally sufficient. Synthesis is only good in the stalliest of matches, when you're worried about dying to residual damage. As noted above, Serperior has very poor bulk, so it won't be talking hits well enough in the first place to recover them off
Usage tips:
  • Remove the mention of Taunt and Synthesis
  • Change the wording of the last bullet so that it conveys this thought process: "Is anything asleep yet? If no, use spore. Is the opponent in front of me asleep? If yes, use sub. Am I behind a substitute? Fire away with Leaf Storms, unless it's a steel type (or even if it is a steel type sometimes too)"
  • Let the users know that Leaf Storms are a valuable commodity, and 8 pp is very low when your using the move to setup AND sweep
  • Delete the bullet about Ferrothorn and Scizor. This seems out of place / common sense: "don't try to set up on the things that check you"
  • When talking about bringing Serperior in, Defog provides a boost to evasion which can become very useful in dodging a priority move down the line
Team options:
  • For the mega-Gyarados line, explain better what it brings to the table more than just type synergy (and don't call FWG cores "the famous FWG cores" since they function similarly but not the same as each other). Also, neither Weavile nor Bisharp forces Serperior out, assuming that you have your sub up (unless Weavile is icicle spear and Bisharp is scarf gear grind), so give better examples of Serperior checks (like, say, Clefable and boomburst users)
  • Espeon, and the Deoxys formes should be added. They can provide dual screens, hazard control/ support, and Lunar Dance Serperior's troubles away
  • Add Gothitelle to the bullet about Magnezone and expand the description to invoke trapping Clefable and Chansey
Strategy Comments:
  • I don't understand when Serperior would have the time to aromatherapy, nor why it would spend its time trying to act as a cleric when there are better things to attempt that role
  • Move HP fire into the set itself, and put Taunt and Synthesis here
  • Change the description of Dragon Tail, since nothing is trying to set up on Serperior. "It forces it's checks and counters out, racking up more chip and residual damage from switching in and out on boosted Leaf Storms"
Checks and Counters:
Overall, this portion needs heavy edits, and contains some faulty information
  • Sash Alakazam, breaks the sub steals the boosts, or steals the boosts out right and tries to sweep
  • I don't know what unfixable calced, but Leaf Storm does 35% at most to fully specially defensive Clefable
  • When discussing sableye stopping sweeps, it would much rather Topsy-Turvu and make Serperior go to -2 or worse than waste its sleep
  • Kyurem Black was recently banned, and regular Kyurem just isn't good
  • Weavile typically don't run priority (strong ice STAB, Koff, dark void, swords danc/ low kick), and can't beat Serperior behind a sub, unless it's icicle spear
  • FakeSpeeders can't beat it behind a sub, so clarify that
  • Darkrai and most other scarfers can't beat it behind a sub, give special mention to fast things with boomburst, (essentially just scarf Meloetta)
  • Also, you were kind of led astray, but bulky special tanks, like Whirlwind Chansey, Av Meloetta, and Porygon2 can all come in safely on Serperior immediately after Spore or the first kill (given it hadnt accumulated too many boosts), and deal with it
  • Talonflame, and other fast U-turners should be mentioned specifically, since they can break a sub and switch out, then come in later for the revenge kill
  • Anything that runs sound based moves (notably Bug Buzz and Boomburst) can hit past subs, and isn't the worst way of checking it
  • M-Sceptile should be mentioned by name in Grass types
Add these and QC 2/3.

Last edited:
Moves:
  • Put Hidden Power Fire as the first slash over Hidden Power Ground. I know that unfixable said to put Hidden Power Ground in specifically, but fire is the better option, able to beat Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Grass types immune to spore, and Scizor, which threatens you more in a vacuum than Heatran, and works better overall against teams not carrying Heatran or running multiple steels, not all of which can be spore'd.
  • Substitute MUST be the only move in slot 4. It is far and ahead the optimal 4th move for Serperior, giving it an inherent resilience to FakeSpeed that it needs to be successful and not just imme
  • Unslash Taunt and Synthesis and only give them a mention in other options. Taunt and Spore work better together if the pokemon was more of a pivot, but since Serperior will only come in 1-3 times a match at most, Spore on its own is generally sufficient. Synthesis is only good in the stalliest of matches, when you're worried about dying to residual damage. As noted above, Serperior has very poor bulk, so it won't be talking hits well enough in the first place to recover them off
I don't agree with Hidden Power Ground being deslashed. Skarmory is overwhelmed by Leaf Storm, especially when asleep; Hidden Power Ground 2HKOes Serperior after boosts, and it's put to sleep via Spore. The only thing you mention that Fire is good for is Ferrothorn, which does get 2HKOed anyways after a bit of prior damage. Realistically, will Serperior get fully boosted? It's not unlikely. However, by running Hidden Power Fire, you give up the option to hit Mega Charizard X in the similar vein as above. Aegislash, Heatran, Klefki, Magnezone, etc are all hit for the same damage but you also hit Heatran which is one of the only Steel-types who beats it 100%. Hidden Power Fire should only be mentioned in Moves, as an "alternative" because Hidden Power Ground as while is, in my opinion, just better.

Also, about the slashing of Taunt / Synthesis. I'm good with them being deslashed, I wanted to hear comments about that. Taunt is a useful move in general to cripple stall Pokemon, prevent Chansey from Transforming when you're at low health (which could lead to a counter sweep!) and prevents set up sweepers in a dire situation. Synthesis is useful in general because Serperior gets worn down incredibly fast and it can take advantage of sleeping opponents to gain some health back. They're not OO options, but Moves.

Finally, Aromatherapy isn't used to cleric, it's to make sure that Serperior can heal itself of status. It doesn't care about the rest of the team, that's just a nice perk. Think of it like Mega Salamence using Refresh.

Other than that, it looks good!

EV

Banned deucer.
No way does Serperior have room for Aromatherapy or Synthesis ever. Substitute blocks status anyway, also making Taunt redundant, and Leftovers give it HP recovery if carried. The only time I see Taunt being valuable is to stop a WW but Spore can accomplish this already.

HP Ground and Fire hit enough targets on their own to be slashed on the set imo and those targets should be discussed in Moves. Fire > Ground because it hits more relevant checks.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Overview:
  • You discuss how it has subpar bulk, but that really applies to all of its stats. Make sure that the users know that it can be underwhelming until it's gotten to +2 or +4
  • I don't think this is the correct place for specific examples of Serperior's fragility, they should be moved to usage tips to help prove a point. On this note, just end the sentence at "it relies on getting a safe switch-in"
Standard attacker
Set details:
  • Change the set name to Contrary Sweeper, it gives a better overview of what the set is than just standard
Moves:
Usage tips:
  • Remove the mention of Taunt and Synthesis
  • Change the wording of the last bullet so that it conveys this thought process: "Is anything asleep yet? If no, use spore. Is the opponent in front of me asleep? If yes, use sub. Am I behind a substitute? Fire away with Leaf Storms, unless it's a steel type (or even if it is a steel type sometimes too)"
  • Let the users know that Leaf Storms are a valuable commodity, and 8 pp is very low when your using the move to setup AND sweep
  • Delete the bullet about Ferrothorn and Scizor. This seems out of place / common sense: "don't try to set up on the things that check you"
  • When talking about bringing Serperior in, Defog provides a boost to evasion which can become very useful in dodging a priority move down the line
Team options:
  • For the mega-Gyarados line, explain better what it brings to the table more than just type synergy (and don't call FWG cores "the famous FWG cores" since they function similarly but not the same as each other). Also, neither Weavile nor Bisharp forces Serperior out, assuming that you have your sub up (unless Weavile is icicle spear and Bisharp is scarf gear grind), so give better examples of Serperior checks (like, say, Clefable and boomburst users)
  • Espeon, and the Deoxys formes should be added. They can provide dual screens, hazard control/ support, and Lunar Dance Serperior's troubles away
  • Add Gothitelle to the bullet about Magnezone and expand the description to invoke trapping Clefable and Chansey
Strategy Comments:
  • I don't understand when Serperior would have the time to aromatherapy, nor why it would spend its time trying to act as a cleric when there are better things to attempt that role
  • Move HP fire into the set itself, and put Taunt and Synthesis here
  • Change the description of Dragon Tail, since nothing is trying to set up on Serperior. "It forces it's checks and counters out, racking up more chip and residual damage from switching in and out on boosted Leaf Storms"
Checks and Counters:
Overall, this portion needs heavy edits, and contains some faulty information
  • Sash Alakazam, breaks the sub steals the boosts, or steals the boosts out right and tries to sweep
  • I don't know what unfixable calced, but Leaf Storm does 35% at most to fully specially defensive Clefable
  • When discussing sableye stopping sweeps, it would much rather Topsy-Turvu and make Serperior go to -2 or worse than waste its sleep
  • Kyurem Black was recently banned, and regular Kyurem just isn't good
  • Weavile typically don't run priority (strong ice STAB, Koff, dark void, swords danc/ low kick), and can't beat Serperior behind a sub, unless it's icicle spear
  • FakeSpeeders can't beat it behind a sub, so clarify that
  • Darkrai and most other scarfers can't beat it behind a sub, give special mention to fast things with boomburst, (essentially just scarf Meloetta)
  • Also, you were kind of led astray, but bulky special tanks, like Whirlwind Chansey, Av Meloetta, and Porygon2 can all come in safely on Serperior immediately after Spore or the first kill (given it hadnt accumulated too many boosts), and deal with it
  • Talonflame, and other fast U-turners should be mentioned specifically, since they can break a sub and switch out, then come in later for the revenge kill
  • Anything that runs sound based moves (notably Bug Buzz and Boomburst) can hit past subs, and isn't the worst way of checking it
  • M-Sceptile should be mentioned by name in Grass types
Add these and QC 2/3.
Hey Ellipse, when you mention the Psychic types that can provide screens, did you mean to add Cresselia as well? It can learn Lunar Dance, but Espeon and Deoxys can't

EV

Banned deucer.
InfernapeTropius11 how are the second QC checks going? Did you incorporate yet? If so please rewrite this in full analysis format with complete sentences and change the title to QC 2/3.

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • This is probably more GP than anything, but the first sentence is clunky. It's trying to accomplish too much at once. Open with its most notable trait and then make the case for why it's so good. First sentence: Contrary. Second sentence: High speed and high BP Grass STAB.
Set
  • I'm happy with this.
Moves
  • Contrary doesn't "give Serperior a Nasty Plot boost." It gives it +2 Special Attack. Don't assume the reader knows what Nasty Plot is in this context.
  • When talking about HP Fire's targets (Aegislash, Bisharp, Magnezone, and in particular Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor) be specific that the last three resist Grass 4x, not all six.
  • "Hidden Power Ground nails the usual Serperior switchin (Heatran) very hard while hitting other bothersome Steel-types such as Magnezone, Aegislash, and Bisharp." Because you already mention Magnezone, Aegislash, and Bisharp earlier, change that sentence to "while still hitting Aegislash and Bisharp for the same amount as Hidden Power Fire and doing 4x to Magnezone instead of just 2x."
  • "and can be used over Hidden Power Fire" cut, redundant
  • Name the status it wants to dodge with Substitute. Which status hurts it the most?
  • Remove Synthesis. It's not a viable option.
Set Details
  • This is good!
Usage Tips
  • "provide a bugger against revenge killers." A buffer? Maybe name the revenge killers - this might not be obvious to some players.
  • Remove Synthesis.
Team Options
  • Add that Lunar Dance also replenishes lost PP on Leaf Storm.
OO
  • Here is where you can add Synthesis.
  • Glare doesn't just paralyze Ground-types. It paralyzes anything (barring certain abilities.)
Cs & Cs
  • For Grass-types, mention that Mega Venusaur is also not weak to Fire, a coverage move Serperior carries for Grass-types in particular. Add that Amoonguss and Mega Venu threaten with SE Poison attacks.
  • Clefable won't like Spore, however. Add its ability Unaware.

Looking good! QC 3 of 3.

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Alright Eevee General, I've implemented your check, thanks! Do I change the title to Copyediting [STABmons] Serperior [QC: 3/3] [GP: 0/2] now? Also is there somewhere I put this to alert people that it needs to get GP checked? Thanks~

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
add
remove
comment
[OVERVIEW]

Serperior is a very useful Pokemon in the STABmons metagame withbecause of its access to an excellent ability in Contrary. With a very high 113 base sbase 113 Speed and a strong 130 Base Power STAB move to abuse Contrary with to gain boosts in Special Attack, Serperior is a top threat. With access to a fastBecause of its access to Spore to cripple its checks and counters and gain free turns, it can sweep unprepared teams at a moment's notice. Its sSerperior's Speed allows it to outrun notable Pokemon such as Mega Diancie, Mega Latias, Gengar, and Thundurus-Incarnate. Unfortunately, its stats, (AC) other than its Speed, (AC) are subpar, and it often needs to get to +2 or +4 special ain Special Attack in order to successfully sweep. Limited coverage (Serperior also has limited coverage, as it is heavily reliant on Hidden Power), (AC) and, (AC) being very predictable holds Serperior back, but nonetheless, (AC) it is a very good Pokemon in STABmons.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spore gives Serperior free turns by putting the opponentecause it puts the foe to sleep. Leaf Storm is a strong STAB that uses Contrary to gives Serperior +2 special attackSpecial Attack when it's used in conjunction with Contrary. Hidden Power Fire hits the majority of Steel-types hard, such as Aegislash, Bisharp, Magnezone, and, (AC) in particular, (AC) Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor, with the last 3 Pokemon 4x resistinghard, with the latter three Pokemon being 4x resistant to Leaf Storm. Hidden Power Ground nails the usual Serperior switchin (Heatran)-in, Heatran, very hard while still hitting Bisharp and Aegislash for the same amount of damage as Hidden Power Fire, ands well as hitting Magnezone for 4x damage instead of 2x. ItHidden Power Ground also hits Mega Charizard X. Substitute is an important move for Serperior, as it allows itallows Serperior to dodge status such as paralysis that would otherwise halt its sweep, (AC) and it provides Serperior with protection against revenge killers. Taunt can be used over Substitute to shut down stall Pokemon andtus move users and can prevent Chansey from using Transform when Serperior is at low on health, (which could lead to a counter sweep) or Whirlwind (causing you to lose your boosts), or Whirlwind, which can phaze Serperior.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Timid Nature allows Serperior to outspeed Pokemon the multitude of Pokemon in the 110 speed tier (base 110 Speed tier such as Mega Diancie and Gengar) as well as Thundurus-Incarnate while, (AC) and 252 Special Attack EVs lets Serperior hit as hard as possible. Contrary is the ability of choice so that Leaf Storm's negative side effect is actually positive, giving it a +2 special aSerperior a +2 Special Attack boost instead of a -2 Special Attack drop (just to mention the downside) in the process. Miracle Seed boosts the power of Leaf Storm, (AC) whereas Leftovers offers passive recovery and allows youSerperior to set more Substitutes.

Usage Tips
========

Serperior is rather frail, (AC) so it relies on getting a safe switch in. This is vital to remember in order to use Serperior effectively. A slow U-TA slow U-turn or Volt Switch is excellent and is very helpful to Serperior. Serperior can also be brought in on a predicted Defog, as this will grant it an evasion boost that can be useful in dodging priority and other moves from potential revenge killers later on in the match. Once Serperior is on the field, it should generally clickyou should generally use Spore first. If the target is asleep, it should then set up a Substitute. Finally, it should attempt a sweep by nabbing boosts with Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm only has 8 PP, (AC) and Serperior is very reliant on using to bothit to gain boosts and sweep, so be careful when choosing when to attempt a sweep. In general, itSerperior should attempt to sweep late game-game, (AC) after its checks and counters have been weakened or removKOed. Serperior can also be brought in early game as well, but-game, but, (AC) in this stage, (AC) (What is the stage?) it should generally just be for the utility of using a fast Spore to become an anti-lead and to spread sleep for teammates to rip holes in the opposing team. Substitute should be set up on predicted switches or when your opponentthe foe is asleep to prevent nasty status ailments and provide a buffer against revenge killers such as Choice Scarf users and faster Pokemon such as Mega Pidgeot and Weavile. If you're using Taunt on Serperior, use it against stall Pokemon when you predict status moves (such as hazards, Toxic, recovery moves, and Transform).

Team Options
========

Magnezone is a great partner to trap and remove the Steel-types that trouble Serperior, such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Bulky support Landorus-Therian is also an choice to pair with Serperior, providing is also a good teammate for Serperior, as it provides Defog support, entry hazard support, and a safe switch in via U-Tturn. Clefable can provide Wish and Heal Bell support to Serperior, boosting its longevity. Heatran is an amazing teammate, (AC) as it has excellent defensive synergy with Serperior (it resists or has an immunitybecause it resists or is immune to all of Serperior's weaknesses) and can also dispatch Steel-types with ease or set up Stealth Rock. Espeon and Deoxys provide screens and entry hazard control (Espeon via Magic Bounce and Deoxys via; Espeon with Magic Bounce and Deoxys with a fast Taunt before setting up entry hazards in return) and then heal up Serperior with Lunar Dance, (AC) allowing it to have another shot at sweeping. Lunar Dance is especially helpful, (AC) as it restores the PP from Leaf Storm's PP as well. Rock types-types, (AC) such as Terrakion and Tyranitar, (AC) are good as well, as they can easily switch in against the Flying opposing Flying-types that force Serperior out and set up entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Dragon Pulse can be used to eliminate bulky Dragon types that avoid the 2HKO from Leaf Storm or Hidden Power Ground. Aromatherapy is useful to remove status from Serperior if you lackaren't using Substitute. Knock Off is useful for removing Chansey's Eviolite (, as Chansey is 2HKOed by Leaf Storm without its Eviolite) while hitting Gengar for solid damage as well. Giga Drain can be used for recovery, although having two Grass-type moves offers very bad coverage, (AC) and Leaf Storm is necessary on Serperior. Glare is useful for spreading paralysis, and in particulaespecially for Ground-types such as Landorus-Therian on the switch, as well as paralyzing Grass-types, (AC) including opposing Serperior and Mega Sceptile. Dragon Tail racks up more chip damage on Serperior's checks and counters by forcing them out and making them (add space)take more residual damage from switching in on entry hazards and boosted Leaf Storms. Synthesis is useful. (AC) as it allows Serperior to recover health from passive damage and entry hazards when againstit's facing sleeping Pokemon and can be used over Substitute.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-Types**: Grass types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Venusaur are immune to Spore and resist Leaf Storm, which is Serperior's main way of doing damage. (add period) Mega Venusaur and Mega Sceptile are both neutral toboth take neutral damage from Hidden Power Fire as well. Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur threaten Serperior with their Poison-type STAB attacks.

**Steel-Types**: Pokemontypes**: Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Aegislash, Scizor (and it's Mega), (AC) Mega Scizor, and Heatran can come in relatively easily on Serperior as they resist its STAB (Leaf Storm). Tmove, Leaf Storm. However, they must watch out for Hidden Power however, and all but Ferrothorn hate Spore.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast Pokemon such as Weavile (if it has Icicle Spear)Icicle Spear Weavile and Mega Pidgeot, Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-Therian, and priority users such as Fake Out + Extreme Speed users(, (AC) including Braviary, Kangaskhan, Stoutland, Ursaring), Sableye (and Ursaring, Sableye, as Prankster Topsy Turvy halts attempted sweeps), and Thundurus-Incarnate (, (AC) as Prankster Thunder Wave severaly cripples it). FakeSpeeders and most Scarfers can't revenge kill itely cripples Serperior. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users and most Choice Scarf users can't revenge kill Serperior if it is behind a Substitute, however, which also blocks Thundurus-I's Thunder Wave.

**Focus Sash Alakazam**: Focus Sash Alakazam can break Serperior's Substitute and kill it,KO it or steal its boosts and try to sweep on its own.

**Fast U-Turn**: A fast U-Turn from Pokemon such asturn users**: Fast U-turn users such as Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian or Talonflame can break Serperior's Substitute, (AC) allowing it to be revenge killed easier or forced out.

**Specially Defensive Unaware Clefable**: Specially defensive Unaware Clefable isn't 2HKOed by Leaf Storm and can proceed to stall it out. I; (add semicolon) however, it doesn't like Spore however.

**Sound Moves**: Sound-(AH)based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst hit through Serperior's Substitute and can kill it, especially from faster Pokemon such as a boosted Volcarona or and Choice Scarf Meloetta.

**Special Tanks**: Bulky specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey, Assault Vest Meloetta, or Porygon and Porygon2 can all come in safely after Serperior has used Spore to put something to sleep and deal with it via Whirlwind, Boomburst, and Ice Beam (or Whirlwind again) respectivelyrespectively. Porygon2 can also run Whirlwind.
GP 1/2

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2
add remove comment

[OVERVIEW]

Serperior is very useful in the STABmons metagame because of its access to an excellent ability in Contrary. With a very high base 113 Speed and a strong 130 Base Power STAB move to abuse Contrary with to gain boosts in Special Attack, Serperior is a top threat. Because of its access to Spore to cripple its checks and counters and gain free turns, it can sweep unprepared teams at a moment's notice. Serperior's Speed allows it to outrun notable Pokemon such as Mega Diancie, Mega Latias, Gengar, and Thundurus. Unfortunately, its stats, other than its Speed, are subpar, and it often needs to get to +2 or +4 in Special Attack in order to successfully sweep. Serperior also has limited coverage, as it is heavily reliant on Hidden Power, and, being it is held back because it is very predictable holds Serperior back, but nonetheless, it is nonetheless a very good Pokemon in STABmons.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spore gives Serperior free turns because it puts the foe to sleep. Leaf Storm is a strong STAB move that gives Serperior +2 Special Attack when it's used in conjunction with Contrary. Hidden Power Fire hits the majority of Steel-types, such as Aegislash, Bisharp, Magnezone, and, in particular, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor, hard, with the latter three Pokemon being 4x resistant to Leaf Storm. Hidden Power Ground nails the usual Serperior switch-in, Heatran, very hard while still hitting Bisharp and Aegislash for the same amount of damage as Hidden Power Fire, as well as hitting Magnezone for 4x damage instead of 2x. Hidden Power Ground also hits Mega Charizard X. Substitute allows Serperior to dodge status such as paralysis that would otherwise halt its sweep such as paralysis, and it provides Serperior with protection against revenge killers. Taunt can be used over Substitute to shut down status move users and can prevent Chansey from using Transform when Serperior is low on health, which could lead to a counter sweep, or Whirlwind, which can phaze Serperior.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Serperior to outspeed the multitude of Pokemon in the base 110 Speed tier, (comma) such as Mega Diancie and Gengar, (comma) as well as Thundurus, and 252 Special Attack EVs let Serperior hit as hard as possible. Contrary is the ability of choice so that Leaf Storm's negative side effect is actually positive, giving Serperior a +2 Special Attack boost instead of a -2 Special Attack drop in the process. Miracle Seed boosts the power of Leaf Storm, whereas Leftovers offers passive recovery and allows Serperior to set more Substitutes.

Usage Tips
========

Serperior is rather frail, so it relies on getting a safe switch in. A slow U-turn or Volt Switch is excellent and is very helpful to Serperior. Serperior can also be brought in on a predicted Defog, as this will grant it an evasion boost that can be useful in dodging priority and other moves from potential revenge killers later on in the match. Once Serperior is on the field, you should generally use Spore first. If the target is asleep, it Serperior should then set up a Substitute. Finally, it should attempt a sweep by nabbing boosts with Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm only has 8 PP, and Serperior is very reliant on using it to gain boosts and sweep, so be careful when choosing to attempt a sweep. In general, Serperior should attempt to sweep late-game, after its checks and counters have been weakened or KOed. Serperior can be also brought in early-game, but, in this stage of the game, it should generally just be for the utility of using a fast Spore to become an anti-lead and to spread sleep for teammates to rip holes in the opposing team. Substitute should be set up on predicted switches or when the foe is asleep to prevent status ailments and provide a buff against revenge killers such as Choice Scarf users and faster Pokemon such as Mega Pidgeot and Weavile. If you're using Taunt on Serperior, use it against stall Pokemon when you predict status moves such as entry hazards, Toxic, recovery moves, and Transform.

Team Options
========

Magnezone is a great partner to trap and remove the Steel-types that trouble Serperior, such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Bulky support Landorus-T is also a good teammate for Serperior, as it provides Defog support, entry hazard support, and a safe switch in via U-turn. Clefable can provide Wish and Heal Bell support to Serperior, boosting its longevity. Heatran is an amazing teammate, as it has excellent defensive synergy with Serperior because it resists or is immune to all of Serperior's weaknesses and can also dispatch Steel-types with ease or set up entry hazards. Espeon and Deoxys provide screens and entry hazard control;, (remove semicolon, add comma) Espeon with Magic Bounce and Deoxys with a fast Taunt before setting up entry hazards in return, (comma) and then heal up Serperior with Lunar Dance, allowing it to have another shot at sweeping. Lunar Dance is especially helpful, as it restores the Leaf Storm's PP as well. Rock-types, such as Terrakion and Tyranitar, are good teammates as well, as they can easily switch in against the opposing Flying-types that force Serperior out and set up entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Dragon Pulse can be used to eliminate bulky Dragons that avoid the 2HKO from Leaf Storm or Hidden Power Ground. Aromatherapy is useful to remove status from Serperior if you aren't using Substitute. Knock Off is useful for removing Chansey's Eviolite, as Chansey is 2HKOed by Leaf Storm without its Eviolite, while hitting and it hits Gengar for solid damage as well. Giga Drain can be used for recovery, although having two Grass-type moves offers very bad coverage, and Leaf Storm is necessary on Serperior. Glare is useful for spreading paralysis, especially for Ground-types such as Landorus-T on the switch, as well as paralyzing Grass-types, including opposing Serperior and Mega Sceptile. Dragon Tail racks up more chip damage on Serperior's checks and counters by forcing them out and making them take more residual damage from switching in on entry hazards and boosted Leaf Storms. Synthesis is useful, as it allows Serperior to recover health from passive damage and entry hazards when it's facing sleeping Pokemon and thus can be used over Substitute.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Venusaur are immune to Spore and resist Leaf Storm, which is Serperior's main way of doing damage. Mega Venusaur and Mega Sceptile both take neutral damage from Hidden Power Fire as well. Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur threaten Serperior with their Poison-type STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Aegislash, Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Heatran can come in relatively easily on Serperior, (comma) as they resist its STAB move, Leaf Storm. However, they must watch out for Hidden Power, and all but Ferrothorn hate Spore.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast Pokemon such as Icicle Spear Weavile and Mega Pidgeot, Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T, and priority users such as Fake Out + Extreme Speed users, including Braviary, Kangaskhan, Stoutland, and Ursaring, can deal with Serperior. (or something; currently this is not a complete sentence. anyways, I split this up because the commas were a bit of a mess; hopefully this will be easier to read) Other effective priority users include Sableye, as Prankster Topsy Turvy halts attempted sweeps, and Thundurus, as Prankster Thunder Wave severely cripples Serperior. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users and most Choice Scarf users can't revenge kill Serperior if it is behind a Substitute, however, which also blocks Thundurus's Thunder Wave.

**Focus Sash Alakazam**: Focus Sash Alakazam can break Serperior's Substitute and KO it or steal its boosts and try to sweep on its own.

**Fast U-turn Users**: Fast U-turn users such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T or and Talonflame can break Serperior's Substitute, allowing it to be revenge killed easier or forced out.

**Specially Defensive Unaware Clefable**: Specially defensive Unaware Clefable isn't 2HKOed by Leaf Storm and can proceed to stall it out; however, it doesn't like Spore.

**Sound-based Moves**: Sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst hit through Serperior's Substitute and can kill KO it, especially from faster Pokemon such as a boosted Volcarona and Choice Scarf Meloetta.

**Special Tanks**: Bulky specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey, Assault Vest Meloetta, and Porygon2 can all come in safely after Serperior has used Spore to put something to sleep and deal with it via Whirlwind, Boomburst, and Ice Beam, (comma) respectively. Porygon2 can also run Whirlwind.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)