Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
Let's not get too excited about the threatlist moving. Originally I had it in the main thread, so bringing it back shouldn't be a big issue. If it looks better at the beginning of the thread, I can move it up front again. I just ask that people title their post when submitting a threat for Unfixable or maybe tag him. I will keep it updated as needed.

(post will move soon, busy atm)

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
How do you tag someone ?
Also can i make something for sableye ?
use an @ and then type that persons name.
yes of course, say Reserving Sableye in the previous post you made and then be sure you read unfixables main post of how to do it and the expectations on page 24.

OK, thanks, I tagged unfixable and red his post on page 24 (why is it on page 24 tho ?). From what i understood, only members from the stabmon council can wright about sableye because he's such a huge threat (wich makes sens). So I guess I'll wait.
Also he said that you can only reserve 2 pokemons, but i didn't have much work to do with ditto so i guess it's okay.

Last thing, is unaware clefable any good in stabmons ? And is there a good psychic type to abuse heart swap ?

xJownage

OK, thanks, I tagged unfixable and red his post on page 24 (why is it on page 24 tho ?). From what i understood, only members from the stabmon council can wright about sableye because he's such a huge threat (wich makes sens). So I guess I'll wait.
Also he said that you can only reserve 2 pokemons, but i didn't have much work to do with ditto so i guess it's okay.

Last thing, is unaware clefable any good in stabmons ? And is there a good psychic type to abuse heart swap ?
unaware clefable is good, just please dont use geomancy because i will scream.
no psychic types. melo shouldnt run heart swap. and other than that...topsy turvy is generally better anyways. and if only council members can do Sableye somebody needs to step up and do it

O.o

Just occured to me, I have not seen nearly enough unaware clefables on the ladder. Quagsire is popular for stopping the physical sweepers, surely Clefable can be just as effective against special sweepers? Was its popularity hurt by not being bulky enough to take on sylveon/porygon-z and just hasnt recovered?

EV

Banned deucer.

Male Meowstic is probably the only Psychic Heart Swapper I'd recommend, but like xJownage said, Topsy Turvy is better if you're trying to cripple the opponent. If you're trying to steal the boosts for your benefit, you run the risk of getting Topsy Turvied yourself. Other than that there's Focus Sash Magic Guard Alakazam, but it's so priority weak I would never recommend it in serious play. Zam is better at revenging anyway, since it's guaranteed to come in on hazards and preserve its sash.

However, if we're talking gimmicks here, a Psycho Boost+Heart Swap combo sounds hilarious. Heck even Victini could fire off V-create, Heart Swap the drops onto the next Pokemon, and repeat. You risk getting hit before the swap, however. Again, not recommended in serious play.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Swap Pass Mew is a cute set. I used it in BW, but I'm not sure how well it would work in XY. Also used Swap SpDef Jirachi last gen, but I'm certain that's not nearly as effective as it used to be.

EV

Banned deucer.
Swap Pass Mew is a cute set. I used it in BW, but I'm not sure how well it would work in XY. Also used Swap SpDef Jirachi last gen, but I'm certain that's not nearly as effective as it used to be.
Ah I forgot about BPassing. It's still under risk of Topsy Turvy, so unless the recipient can outspeed Prankster Sableye or gets passed a Sub, it's a shaky way to steal/remove boosts.

If Heart Swap has any niche this gen, I still think it's for crippling the opponent with your own drops (like my Victini example) but the prevalence of priority is enough to ward off that strategy.

One thing I would be interested in is Psycho Boost + Heart Swap Deoxys-S, it allows it to freely spam Psycho Boosts w/o fear and pass the negative side effect to the opponent. Mega Alakazam could also pull this off, although it is much stronger, it's not as fast. Maybe a shitty gimmick, but certainly sounds fun!

Cresselia I think could be a good Heart Swapper as well, having the sheer bulk to survive even boosted hits and swap, while also having Moonblast to dissuade Sableye from switching in

+2 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 204-240 (67.1 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 272-320 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Though Sable can still "revenge" for the Topsy-Turvy. And of course, in ubers Lugia does the same thing but even better with Multiscale + Oblivion Wing.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 112 HP / 96 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Nuzzle
- Volt Switch
- Oblivion Wing
- Knock Off
Here is a set I've been playing around with, as my team lacked a Meloetta stop, and Thundurus-T fit the bill. This set looks... unconventional, to say the least, but it's actually just intricately thought out. Firstly, 112 HP EVs in conjunction with 252 SpD EVs (and a SpD+ nature, plus Assault Vest) allow Thundurus-T to survive a +2 Boomburst should the situation arise (Boomburst and Stored Power do the same amount of damage anyways). 108 HP EVs achieves the same thing, but 112 hits an odd HP number. 96 Attack EVs ensure that Nuzzle + Knock Off OHKOes a -1 Meloetta without any hazards, Nuzzle suprisingly isn't as pathetically weak when Meloetta is at -1 Defense! The rest are dumped into Special Attack to amp up its power a bit. Nuzzle is to spread Paralysis on Shell Smashers like Espeon (which can't be paralyzed through normal means), Kangaskhan, and the aforementioned Meloetta. Volt Switch keeps up momentum and serves a strong STAB move, although U-turn can be used if Ground-type concern arises. Oblivion Wing's 75% recovery is great, and when combined with Assault Vest makes Thundurus-T even harder to take down. Knock Off is for general utility, Judgment Pokemon, and Psychic-type Pokemon in general (SS Espeon / SS Meloetta). This set also has Volt Absorb for recovery, so Assault Vest is actually quite good on it! This set appreciates hazard removal (which isn't hard to come by mind you), so keep this in mind. Some other options include Superpower for Chansey or running Defense EVs instead of SpA EVs. Overall, a really fun Pokemon and set! Here are all of the Meloetta calcs I used:
  • +2 252+ SpA Meloetta Boomburst vs. 112 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Thundurus-T: 276-325 (84.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 96 Atk Thundurus-T Nuzzle vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 48-57 (14 - 16.6%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 96 Atk Thundurus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 298-352 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (this combination does 101.1% minimum and leaves Meloetta paralyzed!)

Reactions: EV

canno

formerly The Reptile
Just realized that Diamond Storm is out since Diance is legal. I don't think anything totally relevant gets it outside of TTar and maybe some prevo thing I'm missing, but hey. If you're using something like Terrakion I guess you have a better STAB now! :D

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 112 HP / 96 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Nuzzle
- Volt Switch
- Oblivion Wing
- Knock Off
Here is a set I've been playing around with, as my team lacked a Meloetta stop, and Thundurus-T fit the bill. This set looks... unconventional, to say the least, but it's actually just intricately thought out. Firstly, 112 HP EVs in conjunction with 252 SpD EVs (and a SpD+ nature, plus Assault Vest) allow Thundurus-T to survive a +2 Boomburst should the situation arise (Boomburst and Stored Power do the same amount of damage anyways). 108 HP EVs achieves the same thing, but 112 hits an odd HP number. 96 Attack EVs ensure that Nuzzle + Knock Off OHKOes a -1 Meloetta without any hazards, Nuzzle suprisingly isn't as pathetically weak when Meloetta is at -1 Defense! The rest are dumped into Special Attack to amp up its power a bit. Nuzzle is to spread Paralysis on Shell Smashers like Espeon (which can't be paralyzed through normal means), Kangaskhan, and the aforementioned Meloetta. Volt Switch keeps up momentum and serves a strong STAB move, although U-turn can be used if Ground-type concern arises. Oblivion Wing's 75% recovery is great, and when combined with Assault Vest makes Thundurus-T even harder to take down. Knock Off is for general utility, Judgment Pokemon, and Psychic-type Pokemon in general (SS Espeon / SS Meloetta). This set also has Volt Absorb for recovery, so Assault Vest is actually quite good on it! This set appreciates hazard removal (which isn't hard to come by mind you), so keep this in mind. Some other options include Superpower for Chansey or running Defense EVs instead of SpA EVs. Overall, a really fun Pokemon and set! Here are all of the Meloetta calcs I used:
  • +2 252+ SpA Meloetta Boomburst vs. 112 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Thundurus-T: 276-325 (84.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 96 Atk Thundurus-T Nuzzle vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 48-57 (14 - 16.6%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 96 Atk Thundurus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 298-352 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (this combination does 101.1% minimum and leaves Meloetta paralyzed!)
It's a pretty interesting idea, but there's a few things to note here.

One is an alternate spread suggestion: You can run Brave 240 HP / 16 SpA / 252 SpD to achieve the same calcs as before, while gaining 32 hp in exchange for 7 SpA.

Another thing is that you didn't account for leftovers healing. I assume most melo's don't run leftovers, (they prefer judgment?) but your calc includes leftovers, which is a bit misleading.

Also, this fails if the opponent has stealth rocks up :/

Edit: or you could just run mono-dark spiritomb :D

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: NaN Spe
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Parting Shot​

Last edited:
Diamond Storm > Stone Edge because 100% accuracy, so basically every Physical Rock type appreciates Diamond Storm.
Diamond Storm is 95 accuracy, but still, it's a pretty good upgrade from Stone Edge, and the defense boost can actually be useful in a pinch.

Now let's just wait for THOUSAND ARROWS

xJownage

Diamond Storm all day cuz nuthin uses it asdf

mew is....a gimmick in stabmons for the record. Non-prankster stuff really is meh in this meta, since everything can outspeed and ohko. 100/100/100 bulk for this meta really doesn't even work all that well defensively, since everything is really powerful, so it never gets to steal boosts since everything is so powerful it can OHKO it anyways.

I really wish priority wasn't so common in this meta...if sweepers didn't NEED priority it would be so much more diverse. Oh well...

Ok jownage slow down, those are some very bold statements your making in that post, namely the one that 100/100/100 defenses don't work in this meta, and the one where you essentially say that status tpye moves without prankster does not work well in the meta.

First off the point about base stats. While you're right about most likely not being able for it to pull off a heart swap in this tier, mew (along with the other base 100 fairies) wasn't ever really acting as a full on wall that could stop sweepers cold and hard wall threats in standard play anyways. Rather, the base 100 pixies serve as more of pivots that can take unboosted hits from strong pokes on either side of the spectrum, and with access to reliable healing, an assortment of useful support moves, old and new, and powerful attacks coming from decent offensive stats that will still do a good amount of damage to uninvested pokemon, they have a lot of staying power and fit this role exceptionally well (ESPECIALLY Celebi). Also, here are calcs to back up this point, and the list of good support moves that each of the pixies get:
Note that these calcs are all done using mew. They apply for the other base 100 mons, but you just need to factor in a different typing.
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 147-174 (36.3 - 43%) -- 97.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 134-160 (33.1 - 39.6%) -- 15.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 187-220 (46.2 - 54.4%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(These next two don't really matter bcuz it will flinch u to death anyways...)
252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 135-165 (33.4 - 40.8%) -- approx. 15.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 185-225 (45.7 - 55.6%) -- approx. 4.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 165-195 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Keldeo Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 177-208 (43.8 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Espeon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 126-150 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Guts Ursaring Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+4 252+ Atk Bibarel Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 297-349 (73.5 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(These next two don't factor in sp. atk drop)
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 199-235 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 277-328 (68.5 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mew:
Taunt
u-turn
will-o-wisp
defog
tailwind
roar
dual screens
imprison+transform
lunar dance
trick
thunder wave
stealth rock
future sight
skill swap/ worry seed?
heal block?
hypnosis...
Celebi:
Spore
u-turn
heal bell/ aromatherapy
lunar dance
leech seed
perish song
stealth rock
thunder wave
trick
spiky shield
future sight
forest's curse?
skill swap/ worry seed?
Jirachi:
Doom desire
wish
thunder wave/ body slam
stealth rock
lunar dance
death by flinches
king's shield
u-turn
not exactly team support but worth mentioning- shift gear
hypnosis...
heart swap <- only one who's typing actually allows it to be relevant
metal burst
skill swap?
Shaymin (I'll be honest, this one's better off as a bulky attacker):
spore
tailwind
healing wish
aromatherapy
leech seed
spiky shield
Forest's curse?

To give you an example of how viable support without the use of prankster is, some off the most prominent supporting mons in the tier lack access to prankster, such as Heatran, Forretress, Landorus-T, and Empoleon. This isn't even counting the slew of other defensive pokemon that are commonly used as team support as well as walls like Chansey, Quagsire, Ferrothorn, Zapdos, Vaporeon, and Skarmory. Furthermore,prankster isn't even that dominant.Of the two viable pranksters in the tier (whimsicott and Sableye) only one ever sees any actual usage, and it usually is limited to being a topsy-turvy failsafe or filling a void-and-part role.

Also you mentioned how sweepers need priority in this meta.While I disagree with you on this as well, it's more of just a difference of semantics; All sweepers need to have some sort of way to deal with priority, whether it be their own, enough bulk to survive, or reliable team support.

xJownage

Well I kinda misworded it myself, I meant that heart swap Mew is gimmicky because it just isin't that good. Heart swap Mew doesn't care for coming in on unboosted attacks since its supposed to come in on boosted ones to steal the boosts, despite the fact that so much ohkos it. I never meant to say Mew wasn't viable (although it isin't great to be honest), especially with one of the greatest support movepools in the game. 100/100/100 defenses don't work for non-prankster sweep-stopping, although Mew is still a decent pivot in this metagame anyways. Pivots aren't dedicated for sweep-stopping; I am aware of this. On the contrary, Pivot and sweep stopper are key roles in a metagame where teams suffer from 6 pokemon syndrome, so I am finding that using Sableye as a pivot and sweep stopper is actually very useful.

Support is actually very important in stabmons, and there are several viable pokes that can provide this support, although in my mind none of the pixies are the best at this job. 100/100/100 bulk is extremely underrated, and is very good at taking unboosted hits; rather, watch those calcs change against common sweepers.

Also most potential sweepers need priority to beat strong fake out + espeed spam. Many like Togekiss are bulky enough to tank those hits, however trying to tank them often nearly requires you to run a move with recovery, for example, Togekiss' oblivion wing. This is very important for sweepers; you must either heavily resist it and have amazing bulk or you need a recovery move, almost all of which are special, which is still very restricting. As a result of Sableye as well, most sweepers basically NEED priority to get past it. Sableye is hard to kill, since it is a pivot and prank parting shot works so well. Therefore non-scrappy Espeed sweepers just can't break it mostly, its too fast and can cripple them before they can have any chance to kill it despite its mediocre bulk. This really limits the potential of the dozens of potential sweepers in the tier, where some stuff that could be just amazing is rendered mediocre to near unviable because they can't take fake out+espeed from Stoutland, Sangaskhan, etc. and they can't get past Sableye. Sableye is also untrappable period, since it can get around shadow tag and has parting shot. Unfortunately this means that many sweepers are severly restricted in their viability due to the use of unpredictable fake out + espeed users and the existence of Sableye.

Kyu-B would never run a non-atk boosting nature and lefties in stabmons, at least on my teams. I SOOOOOO want to make a DD Kyu-B, but...everything I said above. Yes it gets Ice shard, but it only 2hkos unless you are +3 and have up rocks. I also want to make a shell smash Braviary. Decent bulk, a very good attack stat, and a good typing for a stabmons sweeper could make it usable. Unfortunately it can't beat Sableye, but mostly anything else falls with the right coverage.
I am looking for a hidden gem, something with access to normal moves and strong attacks and an ability to beat Sableye, but the lack of special priority means that the only rare thing that is viable is something like a belly drum Stoutland. Belly drum Kanga is already a thing and is very good since scrappy lets it beat sableye.

There are only 2 viable special priority users in the meta unfortunately, and one of them's uber so your stuck with SS Oblivion Wing Talonflame if you really want it =/

GF really needs to get on the Special Priority train, an Electric or Fire type attack seems right up that alley. /endwishlist

There are only 2 viable special priority users in the meta unfortunately, and one of them's uber so your stuck with SS Oblivion Wing Talonflame if you really want it =/

GF really needs to get on the Special Priority train, an Electric or Fire type attack seems right up that alley. /endwishlist
I used to use ss oblivion wing talonflame and it was pretty gimmicky, but it did it's job and usually caught the opponent off guard.

xJownage

SS Oblivion Talon is meh, sure its got priority, but what can it do that Toge can't? Togekiss can actually live common fake out + espeed users and oblivion off the damage, something talon definitely can't do.

you forgot keldeo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)