1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

STABmons Tournament Master Thread- Round 2 in progress

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by The Eevee General, Jul 25, 2013.

1. The Eevee General

The Eevee General I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Approved by Arcticblast & Joim

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Starting now!

The First Official STABmons Tournament
    Co-hosted by The Eevee General and Mr. Omgness

Hi guys. As you saw in the main STABmons thread, I wanted to initiate a tournament. Since I have never done this before, it might come across a little unorthodox. But that's OK! Because so is STABmons.

*A note on the rounds*: The bans are in place so threats that have already risen in standard STABmons don't overpower their respective group and new strategies can develop. Suspects are Pokémon that are still powerful and limited to one per team since more than one would generally give that player the upper hand in most cases.
    Take notice that all banned Pokémon are reinstated for Round 5--except Arceus--so that's where you can try out Sableye, Ferrothorn, and Chansey versus the Ubers.

The dates give you roughly a week for each round so you should be able to contact your opponent and arrange your 3 battles with them. The first round is longer to get us into the swing of things. Use any extra days in each round after you finish to discuss strategies, interesting combos, and newly discovered threats.
    Please post results by the end of each round. If your opponent forfeits to you without finishing the 3 battles that round, you win any remaining points (for instance, if you play your first battle against them in Round 1 and they decide they don't want to play the other 2, you gain the remaining 2 points).

Feel free to post replays. It's actually encouraged.

General Rules:
    -Battle on Pokemon Showdown
    -No identity theft
    -Don't scout
    -Obey timer clause (unless an extenuating circumstance arises, then PM me if there's a dispute)
    -Don't disconnect on purpose or you lose that battle point. Connection issues happen, PM if there's a dispute.
    -You may switch teams during the rounds. For example, you can use 3 separate teams for Round 1. It's a good idea to have them all ready when you battle your opponent the first time so you can get all 3 battles completed.
    -Please obey all Bans/Suspects for each round!! If you use a banned Pokémon (e.g. Sableye in Round 1) or two Suspects per team (e.g. Darmanitan and Stoutland in Round 2), you lose that battle automatically.

Round 1:
    [​IMG][​IMG]450 and Under Club[​IMG][​IMG]

~COMPLETE~
    Banned: Chansey
    Azumarill
    Sableye
    Wobbuffet
    Swellow
    SmashPass (Shell Smash+Baton Pass)

Suspect: Belly Drum
    Shell Smash
    Bibarel
    Medicham
    Smeargle
    Auto-weather (Vulpix, Hippopotas, Snover)
    Combusken

Results:
    Main bracket - http://challonge.com/stabmons450 (Congratulations 1st place Pikachuun, runner-up Manitary!)
    Loser's bracket - http://challonge.com/stabmons450l (Congratulations Level 51!)

Round 2:
    [​IMG][​IMG]451 to 499 Club[​IMG][​IMG]
    ~Dates TBD~
    Banned: Forretress
    Sawsbuck
    Whimsicott
    Ferrothorn
    Scrappy

Suspect: Staraptor
    Darmanitan
    Kangaskhan
    Tauros
    Stoutland
    Bouffalant
    Zangoose

Results:
    Main Bracket - http://challonge.com/stabmons451499

Round 3:
    [​IMG][​IMG]500 to 599 Club[​IMG][​IMG]
    ~Dates TBD~
    Banned: Drizzle
    Drought
    Sand Stream
    Blaziken

Suspect: Scizor
    Thundurus
    Keldeo
    Yanmega
    Ursaring

Round 4:
    [​IMG][​IMG]600 and Up Club[​IMG][​IMG]
    ~Dates TBD~

• Standard STABmons rules except OU Banlist is lifted
    • All Pokémon must have a BST of 600 or higher (http://pastebin.com/cQcGzMmD)
    • 1 Suspect allowed per team
    Banned: Arceus

Suspect: Genesect
    Shaymin-Sky
    Kyurem-B

Round 5:
    [​IMG][​IMG]Anything Goes Club[​IMG][​IMG]
    ~Dates TBD~

• Standard STABmons rules except OU Banlist is lifted
    • All Pokémon must have a BST of at least 1
    • 1 Suspect allowed per team
    Banned: Arceus

Suspect:

Have fun!

Please post contacts/battles in the 'STABmon Tournament # Brackets' thread started by Mr. Omgness. This is the master thread for the entire tournament for general tournament discussion. Individual mini-tournaments are handled in that other thread.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. -Sparkbeat-

-Sparkbeat-

3. PokemonMasterDebater

PokemonMasterDebater

4. Adrian Marin

Adrian Marin

In

EDIT: i'm already in the list of participants, useless post.
  5. Manitary

Manitary

6. The Eevee General

is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

I might ban SmashPass in Round 1 or just Suspect Shell Smash. Thoughts?
  7. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

Ban, IMO. Smash by itself isn't too OP, cause every normal mon gets it. It's really just bibarel smashpassing to something like, I dunno Combusken or Medicham...?
  8. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

In (although I already seem to be on the signup list :p).

@ EeveeGeneral: I'm more concerned about Belly Drum than I am about Shell Smash to be honest. In my experience BD users are scarier. Shell Smash is only a +2 Boost which isnt enough vs some defensive mons, but a +6 boost from BD will cut through them. Setting up a BD isnt that hard and with a sitrus berry priority isnt gonna guarantee a stop to the Sweep (also: ExtremeSpeed).

I have played and watched many games and especially as a spectator I have seen the best player lose because of a belly drum by the opponent, this had kept me thinking about suspecting it.

Regarding Tournament Setup: First of all big props for hosting EeveeGeneral but I am not very fond of assigning 1 opponent to everyone each round. I mean a good player could be matched up with a (relatively) bad player and get 3 points quite easily while at the same time two regular and good Stabmon players could be assigned to each other and will most likely end battles in a 2-1 splitter. With some luck someone could get assigned to a "bad player" 4 or even 5 times.
    I know it stretches things and stuff but I'm in favor of a separate tourney for each round with a separate quarter-final, semi-final, final,... and give like 10 points to the winner, 9 for runner-up, 7 for the 2 semi-finalists, 5 for the 4 quarter-finalists and so on (example spread btw). In the end we can add all points of all separate tournaments and crown the stabmon king so you wish. It's also fun because we can see separate winners for the different tiers. If you think it's a too big hassle to host I can always help you out.
  9. BlankZero

BlankZero

In.

also, I'm all for longer Tours, but having 5 seperate Tours is a bit much for a single metagame. Hell, Doubles has only had 5 or 6 total Events so far and we almost caught RU in usage for June.
  10. The Eevee General

Well Bibarel can't pass to Medicham or Combusken because all three are Suspects.

Here are the options: Suspect Shell Smash and Belly Drum. (Bibarel could no longer run either)
    Ban SmashPass and BellyPass.
    Flat out ban Belly Drum.

@Omgness I'll consider your ideas for the tournament structure. I would need help TBH.
  11. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

Ban SmashPass. Because if Shell Smash is suspected, some other normal mons lose their viability. And really, pass is the problem here...

I agree with Cookie too. I don't mind the 5 rounds though, it's kinda long but... we get to see some different teams around this time which is really nice. No more sawsbuck and etc, makes this meta more fun IMO.
  12. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

Yeah, making the tourney somewhat longer will def learn us some more things about this metagame which is still in it's baby phase. I'll be glad to help you out EG, we can hook up on chat sometime then we can discuss this further?
  13. llvallejoll

llvallejoll

14. shartruce2

shartruce2 THINK POSITIVE
    is a Tiering Contributor

15. Manitary

Manitary

If there are extra ban/suspect confirmed (be them either moves or pokemon), please update the round information in the OP
  16. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

17. The Eevee General

I will don't worry. My goal is to have this ready by this weekend and announce match ups on the first. I'm still working on the format so I'll edit the thread title to indicate a change like that when it comes.
  18. Meloetta<3

Meloetta<3

19. The Eevee General

We only need 3 more people to sign up to hit the sweet spot of 24. But of course if we can get to 32, that's even better!
  20. Shining_Latios

Shining_Latios

21. Snaquaza

Snaquaza

In

Edit: Sorry I was told to sign up after close, I didn't know it was closed, but good luck to all participants
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  22. Pat Labor

Pat Labor

23. toxicroaker

toxicroaker

where on earth are the match ups? I want to have my battles...
    Houndoomsday likes this.
  24. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

Check the other topic (started by me).
  25. The Eevee General

We added you and Pat Labor anyway. http://challonge.com/stabmons450

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)