STABmons Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
rotom-h is atrocious, not even sure why its here. Its typing is amazing with levitate for resisting all kinds of coverage, but its just not good in stabmons.
I take it you haven't seen it in action. It can check/counter the following offensive threats: Heatran, Landorus-T, Thundurus, Aegislash, Charizard-Y, Kyurem bar Earth Power, Landorus-I, Scizor, Togekiss, Talonflame. And that's just S and A ranks.

Please give it more thought than "not even sure why its here." It's typing is REALLY good. Pain Split alleviates SR damage. Nuzzle/paralysis or burn fucks over a lot. Volt Switch outta there when needed. Watch my replays from the first Diggersby suspect tour, please.

I split S into S- and S+. Thoughts on what goes in these?

Proposals:
A+ -> S-
A- -> A
B -> B+
B- -> B
C+ -> B
C+ -> D
C -> D
C -> C-
S -> S+
S -> S+
S -> S+
S -> S+
S -> S-
A+ -> S-
A -> A+
A -> A-
B+ -> A-
B -> C+
B -> B-
B- -> B+
B- -> B
C -> C+
C -> C+
C -> D
I agree with all of these except for latios, gengar and kabutops. I know I am really pushing latios and gengar but I really think they deserve A- at the very least. As I have said before, latios provides great power, can beat all its counters with earthquake, hidden power fire or calm mind, defogs and can lunar dance. Gengar has a great matchup against stall and balanced teams and also checks the best pokemon in the tier. Regardless of whether diggersby gets banned or not it should still go up, although it wouldn't be as good as before. Kabutops's niche is obviously swift swim, and while rain isn't the most used playstyle, it is by no means bad. D rank should be reserved for gimmicks, not things that have a valuable niche but aren't use very often. Keep it in C rank.

Reactions: EV

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I take it you haven't seen it in action. It can check/counter the following offensive threats: Heatran, Landorus-T, Thundurus, Aegislash, Charizard-Y, Kyurem bar Earth Power, Landorus-I, Scizor, Togekiss, Talonflame. And that's just S and A ranks.

Please give it more thought than "not even sure why its here." It's typing is REALLY good. Pain Split alleviates SR damage. Nuzzle/paralysis or burn fucks over a lot. Volt Switch outta there when needed. Watch my replays from the first Diggersby suspect tour, please.
I used to see it all the time and it was awful, but looking at the list i stand corrected. Thundy , aegi, kyube, and scizor are much, much more common nowadays so i see it.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Sableye isn't a stallbreaker, it's a utility Pokemon lol. It can give Stall trouble by running Taunt, but what can't?
Just because other things can run taunt doesn't make Sableye not a stallbreaker lol.

Taunt / Willo / Recovery is literally one of the core stallbreaker archetypes. I don't see how it is in any way not a stallbreaker. It's an even better stallbreaker in STABmons than in OU because Mega Sableye as of now is relatively rare and so is stall Heatran, Talonflame, Zard-X, Gliscor, etc. which are the main stall mons that give the taunt / willo strategy trouble.

EV

Banned deucer.
Please don't make any recommendations solely based on Diggersby's ban. Let things settle down a bit before you ask for any replacements to move up. Thanks!

xJownage

Not really a replacement, but Sableye now has its place firmly secured in S-, as it becomes very important for stopping setup sweepers who don't use priority. It will become very common again, as it was in the beginning of the xy metagame.

I am curious to see Land-i to S-, as it is a really potent stallbreaker in the current metagame, and absolutely destroyed a lot of the teams used in the non-diggs tourneys. Diggs ban helps it out a bit as well, so I really think it can move up. Idk, i'll let you guys talk it out since I don't use lando-I nearly enough (although I should).

canno

formerly The Reptile
Why is Lando-T S+ need an explination :(
Lando-T is S Rank for most of the same reasons it's A+ Rank in OU. It has high utility offensively and defensively thanks to its good stats, Intimidate, and solid movepool. Unlike it's OU counterpart though it now has access to extremely powerful STABs from both ends (Brave Bird / Dragon's Ascend and Precip Blades) and has reliable recovery in the form of Roost. it also helped that it kept Diggersby in check back when it wasn't banned. Now that Diggs is gone its job should be even easier, even if you consider the existence of BRAVESTBIRD (Braviary). We'll see where it goes but I'm almost certain it will remain S Rank. It even gets some other utility moves like Spikes and Defog.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
As The Reptile said, it's main merit is being a ridiculously bulky physical tank that can still hit back really hard. Intimidate effectively gives it much more bulk than it appears to have, and access to Roost patches up the main problem it has in OU.

With 252+ in Def, Landorus-T hits an effective 160 base Def, uninvested in Def it hits an effective 145 base Def. For comparison, Skarmory has 140 Def. Of course this doesn't apply to pokes that switch into Lando, but on the Intimidate proc Landorus-T is deceptively bulky.

EV

Banned deucer.
I had more offensive sets in mind when I split S rank and made it S+. Scarf, Sub+setup, Setup+3 attacks, even mixed sets are highly effective. Ground/Flying is awesome offensively and defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if Lando-I rises as well for the same reasons. Obviously it can't and shouldn't go defensive utility, but it's still very potent and a bit underrated right now.

Rock Polish Landorus-I with dual or even triple stab is a great set and can very easily sweep teams lacking a fakespeeder. I run Oblivion Wing and Hurricane because you will need the power Hurricane provides, but you only want to use it as little as possible to prevent missing, so I use Oblivion Wing along with it. Focus Blast can be run over a flying move to hit a few pokemon such as Rotom-Wash/Heat, Skarmory, and Mega Aerodactyl, but Hurricane can actually 2hko them. You could also run a mixed set with dual stab along with Knock Off and Superpower to nail Chansey, or take advantage of the many switches it causes to lay down some stealth rocks, or even some spikes ala Greninja. I would definitely support it to S Rank as it very effectively destroys pretty much every stall and balance team.

The Reptile and I built a Baton Pass team with Rock Polish Landorus-I as a cleaner should Baton Pass not go off successfully, and we both can confirm it's an excellent set. I'd support moving it up to S- Rank, but not exactly S+ Rank.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Rock Polish Landorus-I with dual or even triple stab is a great set and can very easily sweep teams lacking a fakespeeder. I run Oblivion Wing and Hurricane because you will need the power Hurricane provides, but you only want to use it as little as possible to prevent missing, so I use Oblivion Wing along with it. Focus Blast can be run over a flying move to hit a few pokemon such as Rotom-Wash/Heat, Skarmory, and Mega Aerodactyl, but Hurricane can actually 2hko them. You could also run a mixed set with dual stab along with Knock Off and Superpower to nail Chansey, or take advantage of the many switches it causes to lay down some stealth rocks, or even some spikes ala Greninja. I would definitely support it to S Rank as it very effectively destroys pretty much every stall and balance team.
Gravity would also be an option--it allows you to hit MegaAero, Skarm, and the Rotom formes with your SE STAB Earth Power.

canno

formerly The Reptile
You can also run Calm Mind over Rock Polish, as the Calm Mind set does very well vs Stall teams, especially if you have Oblivion Wing. I think overall Rock Polish is better just because of the more offensive teams bur CM is definitely viable. I remember back in the day I had a SubCM set with Sub / CM / Oblivion Wing / EP and it did some solid work. The only real "problem" it has is the opportunity cost of not running Lando-T - I think S- or its current A+ are perfect for it.

EDIT: Also we need to update OP's picture - Diggers is ded (rip in bunny)

I think Darkrai should rise to B- at least. I've been using it lately and in addition to Diggersby's ban helping it out, base 135 special attack and an amazing base 125 speed (Which allows it to outspeed pretty much the entire unscarfed/mega evolved metagame) assures its status as a very powerful offensive threat in the tier, and chances are more offensive teams will have no solid switch-ins to both its Choice Specs and Nasty Plot sets. In addition, while it's no longer the only Pokemon to be able to use the move, bar Sableye it has the fastest Dark Void in the tier. It only gains Night Daze but it really didn't need anything new in the first place, sort of like Mega Mence.

EV

Banned deucer.
Could someone care to explain why Shedinja is in C- rank, it doesn't seem like it would be any good in this meta.
You're right, but it's unique with its ability to stack Spikes and Sticky Web with impunity if the target lacks status or a SE attack. It was also a Diggersby check without Knock Off.

Might go to D tho.

xJownage

I am curious to see Land-i to S-, as it is a really potent stallbreaker in the current metagame, and absolutely destroyed a lot of the teams used in the non-diggs tourneys. Diggs ban helps it out a bit as well, so I really think it can move up. Idk, i'll let you guys talk it out since I don't use lando-I nearly enough (although I should).
Yeah, Lando-I is really good after using it for a bit. Stall teams are just swept too easily by the CM set, which I have fallen in love with. The Cm set should run oblivion wing every time, and I would rather a coverage move instead of the unreliable hurricane. Hurricane makes a good nuke, but the CM set wants to sweep stall teams, not nuke their walls with an unreliable move. Not only that, but with Oblivion wing, you can easily heal against much of stall teams' threats. Focus blast is imo the best option in the last slot, but CM + rock polish is actually a viable set to beat up on both primary archetypes, since all Lando really needs is its ground stab and oblivion wing. Mixed is ridiculous as well, the unpredictability is amazing and it becomes really good. Rock Polish sets may prefer hurricane for the power, LO Oblivion wing doesn't OHKO all the threats it wants to unboosted (no SF), meaning hurricane is 79% more powerful than oblivion wing. That extra power is sometimes needed against more balanced offensive teams. This is also the reason CM + Rock Polish is a viable set. Sub can also be used in the last slot as The Reptile mentioned.
If you aren't using Landorus-T for whatever reason, you should be using this. Its amazing.

Please don't move Shedinja to D Rank! It's fine where it is in my opinion. It requires team support, for sure, but if it does then it is an excellent pivot due to how easily it can switch into Pokemon. Sticky Web / Destiny Bond / U-turn / [Spikes / Megahorn] is a very interesting set. It's fine in C- Rank.

Please don't move Shedinja to D Rank! It's fine where it is in my opinion. It requires team support, for sure, but if it does then it is an excellent pivot due to how easily it can switch into Pokemon. Sticky Web / Destiny Bond / U-turn / [Spikes / Megahorn] is a very interesting set. It's fine in C- Rank.
Agreed, shed has a very clear and valuable niche of being arguably the most reliable sticky web setter, and not only that, it can actually counter some cool pokemon, like the scrappy speeders. Keep it where it is or if anything move it up.

EV

Banned deucer.
Help me rank these. You may pass if you think they're unranked.

Blastoise (Mega)
Houndoom (Mega)
Suicune
Gallade (Mega)
Breloom
Crawdaunt
Serperior
Krookodile
Cofagrigus
Chandelure
Thundurus-T

I also think we need to unrank a few things from the OP. List what you think should be unranked as well.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Thundy-T is a solid mon. I haven't tried a defensive set yet but it can pull it off easily imho. It's a really good Thundy-I check, hits really hard with 145 SpA, and has a good typing + ability. As stated in OP

"A rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are extremely potent in the STABmons metagame. These Pokemon can sweep or wall large portions of the metagame and have minor flaws that can be mitigated with the right support, if any. They can perform very well in more than one role or just excel in one so well they do it better than almost anything else. These Pokemon influence the metagame."

I think A- or B+ is a good place for it. can't talk about the other though - haven't used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)