STABmons Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Landorus-Therian: A+ --> S

- My opinion on this thing is that although it's good, I don't think it's as meta defining and as amazing as the current S rank Pokemon like Diggersby and Heatran. It's a flimsy Diggers check at best, seeing as Choice Band Diggers has a chance to 2HKO 252/252+ Lando-T at -1 (It's guaranteed when Rocks are up). Out of the S and A rank Pokemon, it can check like only 5 of them (Zard X sometimes / Talonflame sets that aren't Bulk-up Wisp / Scizor / opposing Lando-Ts / Terrakion) It can't even handle normal-spam that well (+5 252 Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 340-402 (89 - 105.2%) / Aforementioned Diggersby / MLopunny carries Ice Punch often / +5 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 412-486 (107.8 - 127.2%) / Braviary gains an attack boost upon Lando-T's switch in and proceeds to set up on it or damage it heavily). Yes, I can see Lando gets Roost now and that it isn't chipped away at as easily as it is in OU, but I don't think this mon can handle the power creep STABmons has over OU.

just my two cents
i doubt you'd ever see me post something longer than this lel

Not gonna suggest any ranks just yet, but here are some initial thoughts after trying out almost every new mega.

Lopunny
  • Easily the best set-up sweeper in the metagame (and in STABmons that's saying something)
  • Unresisted STAB coverage
  • Can run Lovely Kiss to get up a free Belly Drum
  • Extremely difficult to revenge kill - Drain Punch heals it back up or it can run Protect can evade Fake Outs
  • Lots of nice coverage moves (elemental punches) - not that you need them
  • The only downside is that it's power can be a little underwhelming without set-up, but still pretty strong
Metagross
  • Probably the best Shift Gear user in the metagame. Huge bulk (and high speed after mega evolving) makes it hard to revenge kill
  • Lots of nice coverage options
  • Only walled by a few pokemon - which are most commonly seen on defensive teams (Skarmory and Slowbro for example)
  • Can bait kill things like Quagsire with Grass Knot
Slowbro
  • A really good addition for Balanced and Stall teams
  • Ridiculous physical bulk (survives +6 Mega Lopunny ExtremeSpeed lol) and useful typing (walls Mega Metagross for example)
  • Can set up Calm Minds on the majority of the metagame
  • The popularity of Thundurus hurts it a bit, as does the popularity of Sableye and Chansey for set-up sets

Pidgeot
  • Great special nuke thanks to high base power STABs and a great speed tier.
  • Out of the few counters it does have, most (Heatran and Tyranitar for example) are beaten by Dugtrio or strong fighting types
  • No Guard Sing makes it even trickier to switch into
  • Struggles with priority (so set up sets are not that great)
Latias
  • Another great addition to balanced/stall teams. Amazing bulk on both sides of the spectrum
  • One of the few things that can check both Thundurus and Landorus
  • Can set up Calm Minds or Cosmic Powers vs a lot of things
  • The popularity of mons like Tyranitar, Heatran, and Scizor kind of hurts it. Doesn't really have enough moveslots to run moves to beat them all.
Audino
  • Really good bulk on both sides with nice defensive typing. Can invest in whichever suits your team better.
  • With reliable recovery (Recover, Milk Drink, Softboiled) this thing is pretty hard to take down
  • The high base power of Boomburst compensates for its low special attack stat
  • Good support options - Rapid Spin, Heal Bell, Wish, Setup move + Baton Pass, Perish Song
  • Ability is useless

Sableye
  • Great bulk and typing with an amazing defensive ability (Magic Bounce)
  • People expect Prankster Sableye so that can be used to your advantage
  • Can abuse Prankster before it decides to mega evolve
  • Doesn't have as bad 4MSS as regular Sableye
  • Gets outsped by pretty much everything
Diancie
  • As a fairy type with Magic Bounce, it really screws with Sableye
  • Resists a lot of common priority - ExtremeSpeed, Talonflame, Sucker Punch
  • but weak to others - Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken
  • Can go either physical (Play Rough, Diamond Storm, Head Smash) or special (Moonblast, Power Gem, Earth Power) pretty easily
  • Damage output can be a little lacking considering 160 attacking stats though (moves don't have that high of a base power)
  • Really slow on the turn it mega evolves
Beedrill
  • Good cleaner if you can get priority users out of the way.
  • Can get good damage off on almost anything if you volt-turn into it on something with no priority.
  • Synergises well with Magnezone - since it eliminates steels and can Volt Switch to get Beedrill in safely
  • Adaptability Gunk Shot and Megahorn are very powerful, but with those defenses a miss means you're dead. I found the standard OU set worked fine.
  • Still kind of needs to run Protect. Finding something you can mega evolve against is pretty hard (especially if running Adamant) unless you're facing stall.

Swampert
  • Deadly rain sweeper - although Kabutops can do essentially the same thing without taking up a mega slot
  • High base power STABs which hit a lot of the metagame super effectively(Crabhammer and Precipice Blades) coming off base 150 attack
  • Good bulk, but would get worn down fast in a defensive role since it has no recovery outside of Rest
Camerupt
  • Really strong Sheer Force boosted STABs (Blue Flare, Flare Blitz, Earth Power)
  • Very low speed, but could be used in Trick Room
  • Its typing allows it to handle common pokemon like Heatran and Magnezone well
  • But it is also weak to common attacks like ground and water
  • Good sleep fodder, since its STABs are pretty spammable and Sableye can't Will-o-Wisp it either

Sceptile
  • Can be quite hard to find opportunities to mega evolve
  • It does a fast Spore though, which helps
  • Strong Grass STAB (Seed Flare) hits a lot of big threats super effectively. Most of them have priority though (Diggersby, Azumarill, Tyranitar)
  • Electric moves aren't that common (except for Thundurus who hits Sceptile with its flying STAB anyway and Magnezone) so LightningRod isn't as useful as in other metagames
Gallade
  • Fast fighting STAB is great, but with King's Shield on most steel types you have to be careful
  • Doesn't have the bulk (on the physical side) to tank priority attacks
  • Good coverage moves
  • The popularity of Sableye makes it hard to spam its STABs, but you can run Play Rough to catch them on the switch.

Steelix
  • Insane physical bulk, but most physical attackers have something super effective to hit it with (Ground, Fighting, or Water usually)
  • Good attack stat with high base power STABs (Precipice Blades and Heavy Slam)
  • Would be an ok hazard setter, but the most common Defoggers (Landorus-T and Skarmory) come in on it freely
  • Lacks recovery outside of Rest, so gets worn down pretty quickly
Sharpedo
  • Can take advantage of Speed Boost before mega evolving, but gets forced out by priority so it's hard to keep your boosts
  • Has the movepool and stats to go either physical (Crabhammer, Crunch, Knock Off, Water Shuriken), special (Origin Pulse, Nasty Plot, Night Daze) or mixed quite easily
  • Nice support movepool (Dark Void, Parting Shot, Destiny Bond)
  • Life Orb Sharpedo hits harder
Latios
  • Improved bulk helps it take priority a little better, but not well enough (still dies to Fake out + ExtremeSpeed)
  • Not as strong as Life Orb Latios
  • Only really worth considering if you want to run a physical set
Glalie
  • Ice is nice offensive typing in a meta full of Diggersby, Landorus, and Thundurus
  • Doesn't really gain anything useful from STABmons
  • Sub par bulk (and bad defensive typing) make it vulnerable to priority and a lot of common attackers

EV

Banned deucer.
A ---> A+
A ---> A-
A- ---> A
B+ ---> A
B+ ---> B-
B ---> B+
Unranked ---> A- (Latias-Mega)
B ---> C
B- ---> B+
Unranked ---> B-
C+ ---> B
C ---> B
C ---> B+
D ---> C
A+ ---> A
A ---> A+
A ---> A+
B+ ---> B-
B ---> C+
B ---> A-
B ---> B-
B ---> B-
B- ---> C+
B- ---> C
C+ ---> B
C ---> B-
C- ---> Unranked
D ---> Unranked
D ---> Unranked

Last edited:
Can I have an explanation for Klefki raising a rank? I've yet to see it played (with or without success), so I just want to know what it does differently from standard, if anything.
Edit: Thanks Unfixable

Last edited:
Can I have an explanation for Klefki raising a rank? I've yet to see it played (with or without success), so I just want to now what it does differently from standard, if anything.
Klefki is really useful at the moment, just like in OU, and is great at spreading paralysis, King's Shield, and it now has reliable recovery. Pretty useful resists as per usual and it's just a generally good Pokemon.

EV

Banned deucer.
Can I have an explanation for Klefki raising a rank? I've yet to see it played (with or without success), so I just want to now what it does differently from standard, if anything.
Klefki is really useful at the moment, just like in OU, and is great at spreading paralysis, King's Shield, and it now has reliable recovery. Pretty useful resists as per usual and it's just a generally good Pokemon.
I've also tried Charm over King's Shield, which when coupled with Magnet Rise means Diggs has a hard time breaking you. Or you could use King's Shield and Charm in tandem, but then you're really stretched thin. Magnet Rise means it can troll Pokemon who would use Ground to beat it, like Landorus, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, Kyurem-B, Garchomp, and probably some more. It isn't too worried about Scizor, but can't do much in return besides Thunder Wave. B+ might be high, but I think it deserves to be higher than it is currently.

A ---> A+
A ---> A-
A- ---> A
B+ ---> A
B+ ---> B-
B ---> B+
Unranked ---> A- (Latias-Mega)
B- ---> C
B- ---> B+
Unranked ---> B-
C+ ---> B-
C ---> B
C ---> B+
D ---> C
A+ ---> A
A ---> A+
A ---> A+
B+ ---> B-
B ---> C+
B ---> B+
B ---> B-
B ---> B-
B- ---> C+
B- ---> C
B- ---> B+
C+ ---> B
C ---> B-
C- ---> Unranked
D ---> Unranked
D ---> Unranked
Can I ask why Darkrai is C rank? It may be less unique now that every dark type gets dark void and nasty plot, but it still gets 135 SpAt and 125 Speed and a good ability. I've used a set with sub/nasty plot/dark void/dark pulse and it is very good, able to setup with ease and quickly overrun entire teams.

Pagoose what rank do you think is suitable for Darkrai then? Leave it where it is? Less of a drop? Move up?
Probably either keep it where it is or move it up to B. Darkrai is very dependant on team matchup; while against some teams, such as those with one or no dark resists, it can very easily wallbreak for itself and then sweep. However against teams with two or more fighting resists or a hard counter such as clefable, conkeldurr or chansey it doesn't do much outside of putting something to sleep. Because of this I do not think it deserves A, but I think it does deserve a B or B- rank.

I've tested Darkrai on a variety of teams and have never actually wanted to use it over something else. I mean, sure, its stats look great on paper, but it doesn't do that well in practice. I think it should move down, only to B- or lower, but I don't think C is right for it (even if I nominated it there lol n.n!). Its Dark Pulse is tasty and it does pressure offense, but it's super bad at taking priority and idk man its Speed sounds cute, but it just seems like too much because not all of STABmons is exactly fast. It's just priority, which Darkrai struggles taking.

Unfixable is right about Darkrai, which really is a glorified special Weavile, except lacking prioirity and secondary STAB options. I found it was decent as an anti-lead, but otherwise it just fails to act as a sweeper most of the time, and can't come in often enough to allow it to make use of its support options. It can still work very well once it's inside, but much like m-Absol, it struggles getting there.

I'm almost leaning toward moving m-Diancie from B+ to A-, due not only to its ability to be a 100% free switch into Sableye upon m-evo (the only thing it can do is p-shot phaze), but also its versatility within its sets and the amazing offensive typing that it has. Unboosted, it can put major dents into the majority of the tier with 160 base MIXED offenses, backed by great neutral (and super effective) STAB coverage in Rock/Fairy. On top of this, it gains resilience in moonlight, team support options in stealth rocks, heal bell, and the psychic package, and even sweeping capabilities in calm mind or even Geomancy. This variety coupled with it being able to switch in easily makes it hard for its opponent to play around it initially, allowing it to fulfill the desired role successfully, especially in the early stages of the game.

Unranked -> C+ Rank

Mega Blastoise is a Pokemon that I originally thought just sounded interesting on paper but wouldn't pull through in practice, and, well, I was wrong! I finally got around to using this thing and I'm insanely impressed by it! Mega Launcher Origin Pulse is so powerful, it 2HKOes some resists even. I've been seeing some discussion on Rapid Spin for this, but it's so outclassed when using this I just stuck to Origin Pulse / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere and it's been working exceptionally. However, Blastoise's subpar bulk and Speed is a big thorn in its side. This is along with its massive opportunity cost, the main reason to not use it imo. If it were a stand alone Pokemon, however, then it would easily be around A Rank, but that's just not the case. But, I do think it deserves a ranking and C+ is probably appropriate for it.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic

Unranked -> C+ Rank

Mega Blastoise is a Pokemon that I originally thought just sounded interesting on paper but wouldn't pull through in practice, and, well, I was wrong! I finally got around to using this thing and I'm insanely impressed by it! Mega Launcher Origin Pulse is so powerful, it 2HKOes some resists even. I've been seeing some discussion on Rapid Spin for this, but it's so outclassed when using this I just stuck to Origin Pulse / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere and it's been working exceptionally. However, Blastoise's subpar bulk and Speed is a big thorn in its side. This is along with its massive opportunity cost, the main reason to not use it imo. If it were a stand alone Pokemon, however, then it would easily be around A Rank, but that's just not the case. But, I do think it deserves a ranking and C+ is probably appropriate for it.
Does blastoise really count as subpar bulk? I think its bulk is pretty amazing actually, if you're investing in hp (which you should). Even uninvested 79/120/115 is not that bad.

Also is Origin Pulse really boosted by mega launcher? Some people say it is and some say it isn't.

New to this meta, it looks really fun. Just curios, what makes Magnezone A- rank?

I have a core of D-Dance Megachomp, with Magnezone to trap Steels like Skarmory and Ferrothorn and Geomancy Togekiss who also appreciates Steel removage. Garchomp runs DDance, Dclaw, Precipice Blades and Stone Edge and Magnezone with Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon and HP Fire, holding a Scarf. Togekiss is Geomancy, Moonblast, Obv Wing, Fire Blast. It's a nice Dragon-Fairy-Steel core. Is my Magnezone set optimal? The most I can see it benefit from this is Doom Desire. What are the uses of that o.o

Reactions: EV

EV

Banned deucer.
New to this meta, it looks really fun. Just curios, what makes Magnezone A- rank?

I have a core of D-Dance Megachomp, with Magnezone to trap Steels like Skarmory and Ferrothorn and Geomancy Togekiss who also appreciates Steel removage. Garchomp runs DDance, Dclaw, Precipice Blades and Stone Edge and Magnezone with Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon and HP Fire, holding a Scarf. Togekiss is Geomancy, Moonblast, Obv Wing, Fire Blast. It's a nice Dragon-Fairy-Steel core. Is my Magnezone set optimal? The most I can see it benefit from this is Doom Desire. What are the uses of that o.o
Magnezone is almost wholly in A because of the reason you stated: to trap and eliminate Steels for things like Dragons, Normals, and Fairies to sweep. But besides that it makes a good user of Doom Desire thanks to its ability to block attacks with King's Shield and Volt Switch out, often on a switch that Doom Desire causes, grabbing momentum for your team.

Magnezone is almost wholly in A because of the reason you stated: to trap and eliminate Steels for things like Dragons, Normals, and Fairies to sweep. But besides that it makes a good user of Doom Desire thanks to its ability to block attacks with King's Shield and Volt Switch out, often on a switch that Doom Desire causes, grabbing momentum for your team.
Wow that sounds pretty solid. Thanks for the help!

EV

Banned deucer.

Thundurus-T: N/A --> B
I use this to check other Thundurus with an Assault Vest and it does quite well. Plus it can counter special Landorus and Yanmega every day of the week (checks Tinted Lens), and check some other special attackers like Togekiss (Nuzzle/Discharge on the Geo) and Mega Pidgeot if it doesn't eat a Boomburst on the switch.

canno

formerly The Reptile
As someone who has used Thundy-T (not as Assvest tho - sounds really neat tho), I can agree that it's B material. The set I used uses Taunt as a wallbreaker and it also worked pretty well. Oblivion Wing is a great STAB and works surprisingly well with Thunderbolt. Volt Absorb is also great because Thundy-I is a huge pain in the butt. Electric / Flying is a great offensive type, but it also has a lot of defensive merits that help it offensively, like Brave Bird resistance (fuk u Talonburd) and immunity to paralysis. It also has 101 speed to troll 100 base speed mons. Overall a good mon.

Sorry for being off-topic, but could Exploud be of mention? It's the only Scrappy user that has both of its Attack stats usable. I was thinking of a set like this:

Exploud @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Hasty Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
-Fake Out
-Extreme Speed
-Boomburst
-Earthquake

I dunno.

Nominating Mega Latias to go from A- to A. It has amazing bulk that lets it counter most variations of Fake-Speeders (barring some Belly Drummers and set up with Focus Sash) while have incredible offensive prowess with Psystrike and Spacial Rend. It can offer defog support, heal itself of status with either Psycho Shift or Refresh, was reliable recovery, and can even do some Wish support. It matches up very well with the current S-Rank, being a good answer to most Landorus-T and Diggersby variations, being able to 2HKO Sableye with a defensive set and not minding the burn too much, beating most Heatran sets 1v1, and countering Thundurus. Very useful on offense for a hard hitting hazard remover and answer to Diggersby, while helping stall deal with many threats such as Landorus-I (Mega Latias is one of the few counters it has).

EV

Banned deucer.
I was always disappointed when I used Mega Latias. Either she didn't hit hard enough or she didn't take the hits I needed her to take well enough. I'm not convinced, especially since her STAB is stopped cold by Steel-types. Sure, she can beat Heatran since she has Roost/Recover, but Heatran stands a chance with a bulky spread and Taunt+status. The mega slot is probably better used by something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)