Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
and still staraptor doesn't get high jump kick i'm not saying cc is bad i just prefer high jump kick
Why would Staraptor get HJK in STABmons?

There are some very good underdogs in STABmons, like Emboar and Excadrill. But they can't shine without proper support. And seeing as how Stall-oriented the meta had become, people just don't want to risk it.

Mixed Emboar has very good wall-breaking potential.

By making this post, I invite frequent players of STABmons and especially the members of the STABmons Battle Frontier to consider starting a discussion that will lead to banning Chatter, the cancer of a move that it is.

Now, this may come off as sudden because Chatter has seen little to no usage in this tier. However, just like the King's Rock ban, every bit of uncompetitiveness should be removed regardless of how little it is used.

I am making this proposition after having a battle with omnisc, who was using the said Cancer Chatter strategy. If you're going to mistake me for making this post after being butthurt from a loss, let me assure you: I won. But you have to realize that I use quite a number of bulky Pokémon and a Chansey (Whose Special Defense should come in handy with Chatter). Regardless, what should have been an easy breeze, instead turned out to be a long, drudging battle. And with a little bit of hax in favor of the opponent, I would have lost.

The best users are Pidgeot-Mega, Talonflame (Priority Confusion) and the worst of the worst, Thundurus (Access to Priority Substitute and Nasty Plot, Recovery via Oblivion Wing), all of which can use strategies that come close to being as bad as King's Rock flinching menace, or perhaps even worse.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-207091269

Last edited:

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
We won't have to worry about chatter once the fire nation attacks. But in all seriousness, chatter is one of those moves that can just win you the game because of sheer luck. The reason why confusion is the worst is because it is a 50% for the Pokemon to hit itself ( and 100% with my luck). You know you've lost to one to many chatters when you run a lum berry on your sweepers. Guess it is about time to start running an Own Tempo mon.

I agree. I faced omnisc as well, with his chatter shell smash sub talonflame, and while I did win thanks to only getting confused 2/7 times, or something similar, it is a cancer strategy. It should be banned just as it was in aaa.

I don't really feel too strongly about this discussion. I've played Chatter before, and I've just never thought it was "too strong". The most common users, the ones you mentioned, all get revenge killed by Diggersby. Could Chatter potentially take out a Pokemon? Sure, but can it take out an entire team? It might. But, what team doesn't pack priority? I'm not saying that Chatter isn't broken, because I think the move itself is, but I just don't think it's broken in STABmons quite yet... That entire omnisc team is bopped on by Diggersby and a bit of prior damage. A simple core of Keldeo / Diggersby does a lot of work versus that team, and it's not uncommon to run these anyways. However, despite this all, even though I'm not convinced, I'd lean towards banning Chatter for the sake of removing an element that brings unneeded hax to the game.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
luck based aspects of the game should always be banned even in the sole event that they are VIABLE, and thats about it. Even if they are pretty matchup reliant, if they are beating *some* teams, they need to go. There is a difference between human-controlled luck and RNG controlled luck, and this is solely in the hands of the RNG so can you even call it legitimate? Its lottery-based pokemon battling, which is fun if you want to fuck around but not for anything else. Get chatter the fuck out of this tier please.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The problem with Chatter in this instance is that there's little downside to using the move. You can get free turns of setup just from confusion, and even though it isn't absurdly powerful, 97.5 Base Power is plenty strong enough to warrant using when it has such a major upside tacked onto it. I don't play STABmons frequently, but it looks like Chatter would be a reasonable ban.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chatter should probably be banned. It's unhealthy to the metagame as it allows Pokemon to hax their way past counters, and makes people rely on the Confusion chance. It's more unfair than random effects as the effects can't be planned and this can be used to beat a player who should've won. (You could say it might be the strategy of the Chatter user, but they both have an about equal chance to win if the opponent can KO the Chatter user. It'll always rely on a 50% chance, which leaves it up to a coinflip which player will win or get the advantage, which is plain unfair. You can't play around it either like random effects. You can switch out if you got confused by Hurricane, as it'll probably not confuse again. It's annoying, but you gotta deal with it. Chatter forces you to attack though as it can keep confusing you.

Also there's a STABmons core in the Core Ladder Challenge! It's Keldeo + Pidgeot, Pidgeot dislikes Steel and Rock types which Keldeo beats up, so go ahead and sign up!

Last edited:
It's banned because Cloyster could abuse priority Water Shuriken and make the opponent unlikely to move. Also worked well because She'll Smash + Icicle Spear could break through its counters by immobilizing them.
I figured Cloyster might have something to do with it. I've seen people suggest it for it in OU.

I figured Cloyster might have something to do with it. I've seen people suggest it for it in OU.
At least in OU, Steel Types hard-wall it. In STABmons, it gets Water Shurikens, which in theory, can take down even a Mega Aggron without it ever moving (At an amazing 50% flinch rate + STAB 75 BP). And no contact means it can't be KSed.

Not everyone were using King's Rock. Most were using Focus Sash even or Lum Berry. But it had to go because with it, Water Shurikens becomes a literal win button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)