Stakeout (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
General rules apply here. Sun & Moon Spoilers are in this thread.

This is a discussion for the ability: Stakeout. The goal of this thread is to come up with an implementation of Stakeout that will be used in Sun & Moon ASB.

What I currently have down is:

"Stakeout - Passive | Mold Breaker: No | Attacks have double BAP on a Pokémon that switched in this round. Must be already out to get the benefit."

But I am not certain that I am happy with its balance, even though only Yungoos/Gumshoos get it (Too bad they don't get Rare Candy benefits so I have to rework Solar Ray to help these two out). Stakeout's in-game effect is to deal double damage the turn a Pokémon switches in.

Here is an IRC discussion from a couple of months ago to help get you started:
[01:10] <@~Its_A_Random> thoughts on
[01:10] <@~Its_A_Random> "Stakeout - Passive | Mold Breaker: No | Attacks have double BAP on a Pokémon that switched in this round. Must be already out to get the benefit."
[01:10] <@~Its_A_Random> and
[01:10] <@~Its_A_Random> "Power Construct - Toggle | Mold Breaker: No | Transforms into Zygarde Complete when HP < 50%. HP increased by the amount of HP Zygarde Complete has over original forme. Cannot be reversed. Immune to copying and removal. No effect when toggled."
[01:10] ZthePhone (uid112365@synIRC-324D3D10.brockwell.irccloud.com) joined #capasb.
[01:10] <ZthePhone> Morning peeps.
[01:11] <@~Its_A_Random> I'm basically doing first drafts of asb abilities / moves converted to an asb sense
[01:11] <Exclaimer> I like Stakeout just like that, but I've no idea what to think about Power Construct.
[01:11] <@~Its_A_Random> !asbility drizzle
[01:12] <cloudraloo> Stakeout sounds amazing
[01:12] <FMD> Hmm... Stakeout seems fine, if maybe a bit underpowered.
[01:12] <ZthePhone> IAR - I have a small PCT idea - every ASBer add a footnote on their post, just to say how long the claim queue is? Eg. "5 claims unapproved".
[01:12] <ZthePhone> Then approvers will be less likely to miss out each other's partial approval work.
[01:12] <ZthePhone> !asbility Stakeout
[01:12] <@~Its_A_Random> k
[01:12] <cloudraloo> what's the typing for the stakeout mon?
[01:13] <Exclaimer> I don't think it's underpowered
[01:13] <@~Its_A_Random> it's gumshoos lol
[01:13] <FMD> Normal.
[01:13] <cloudraloo> cool
[01:14] <FMD> For ~90% of the time, Stakeout will have no effect at all. :/
[01:14] <cloudraloo> But the threat of it is what really matters.
[01:14] <cloudraloo> (If gumshoos is any good)
[01:14] <ZthePhone> I'm going to have this really thick dahl for the next three meals, anyone want in? :D
[01:14] <Exclaimer> Idk gumshoos sounds great for punishing switch phases.
[01:15] <@~Its_A_Random> it will be resident rodent so don't expect much
[01:15] <cloudraloo> :(
[01:15] <cloudraloo> !asbstats raticate
[01:15] <ToonDizzy> Rawr
[01:15] <ZthePhone> What was BW's rodent, again?
[01:15] <Exclaimer> ASB Needs Better Diggersbys
[01:16] <Exclaimer> BW got Watchog
[01:16] <FMD> That's the problem. Gomshoos probably won't be able to threaten anything out, so the threat of Stakeout won't really do much.
[01:16] <FMD> Dahl?
[01:16] <@Texas> for asb purposes stakeout will probably have to be restricted specifically to affecting uturn/parting shot/volt switch
[01:16] <@Texas> but then it could be a sufficiently punishing effect
[01:16] <@Texas> doubling bap for instance

[01:16] <Exclaimer> That's not a problem with Stakeout, that's a problem with Gumshoos
[01:16] <ToonDizzy> What about teleport?
[01:16] <@Texas> and baton pass
[01:16] <ZthePhone> !u dahl
[01:16] <FMD> Best rodents are Azumaril and uglybun, but they have Huge Power.
[01:16] <FMD> I guess Gumshoos can hit hard with Stakeout fang moves?
[01:16] <TIBot> Dahl: Being a "Dahl" generally comes from having the last name of "Dahl." When you are in fact a "Dahl," you are more than likely brilliant, gorgeous, and far more charismatic than your fellow peers, not to mention hilarious.
[01:16] <@Texas> teleport etc
[01:16] <@Texas> self switching moves
[01:17] <cloudraloo> I mean, if gumshoos is bad, then there's not much we can do
[01:17] <cloudraloo> aside from super sig item buffs
[01:17] <ZthePhone> I dunno Tex, normal Switch phases probably can be included too.
[01:17] <FMD> They definitely should be.
[01:17] <@Texas> i dont see how that's possible unless we create a new mechanic or do something i dont personally agree with
[01:17] <ZthePhone> Since your average mon will likely beatdown the Gumshoo under normal circumstances.
[01:18] <FMD> How would it not, Texas?
[01:18] <ZthePhone> Something like,
[01:18] <@Texas> let me turn that around
[01:18] <@Texas> what would you propose
[01:18] <@Texas> to affect normal switch phases
[01:19] <ZthePhone> First one or two actions after any switch, Stakeout mon gets doubled BAP.
[01:19] <FMD> 20:10:16 Its_A_Random "Stakeout - Passive | Mold Breaker: No | Attacks have double BAP on a Pokémon that switched in this round. Must be already out to get the benefit."
[01:19] <@Texas> yeah i'm personally opposed to that
[01:19] <ZthePhone> Or what she said he said.
[01:19] <cloudraloo> Would it be too strong if we let it get boosts from counterswitching in?
[01:19] <DeathWriter> FMD up
[01:19] <ZthePhone> I think yes Oora.
[01:20] <Exclaimer> I doubt that it'll make Gumshoos a major contender, because if you just stay in and beat on it, like most mons could definitely do
[01:20] <Exclaimer> It gets stuck with a useless ability
[01:20] <ZthePhone> "Counterswitch ACCEPTED. Gumshoos IN."
[01:20] <ZthePhone> "MUAHAHAHA'
[01:20] <ZthePhone> '
[01:20] <FMD> Other way around.
[01:20] <@Texas> Its_A_Random: it is my opinion that granting doubled BAP to all attacks in the round following a switch phase will be overpowered on any pokemon and simply adding a +3 BAP will be underpowered and consigned to uselessness. My personal proposal is to double the BAP with Gumshoos attacks a Pokemon using or set to use a self-switching move
[01:21] <FMD> Switch in Gumshoos, if counterswitch, then it gets the boost.
[01:21] <cloudraloo> fmd, he's responding to my idea
[01:21] <@Texas> i can't get behind the ability to use a 28 BAP move twice in a round solely for switching
[01:21] <FMD> I assumed you misspoke, Ooraloo. <.<
[01:21] <@~Its_A_Random> it's a first draft at any rate but it will be considered
[01:21] <ZthePhone> Eh, that is kinda iffy, FMD.
[01:21] <@Texas> presuming that the WC corresponds to a 14 BAP giga impact
[01:21] <ZthePhone> Or Tex, instead of a whole round, maybe just 1/2a?
[01:21] <@~Its_A_Random> stakeout was never going to be easy to deal with anyway
[01:22] <FMD> How about +5 BAP?
[01:22] <Exclaimer> Even if it got to do that, I doubt it'll be broken or anything
[01:22] <@Texas> i believe that to be convoluted and potentially underpowered
[01:22] <Exclaimer> Mega Kangaskhan exists and does that way better under any circumstance
[01:22] <@Texas> fmd as i alluded to i dont think flat bap boosts are sufficient
[01:22] <@Texas> i think thedouble BAP needs to be a part of it
[01:22] <@Texas> and i think the best way to do that is to punish the existing self switch mechanic

[01:23] <FMD> You only said +3 is too weak...
[01:23] <@Texas> once again you look too closely at the detail and not enough at the principle
[01:23] <cloudraloo> uhh, what's the EN split for Dig + Quick Attack
[01:24] <ZthePhone> Back to FMD - our switch phases are kind of muddled. So your counterswitching stuff could open up a can of worms involving say, revisiting trap Abilities.
[01:24] <FMD> Gumshoos really wants Hyper Fang to count as a biting move.
[01:24] <@Texas> +3 was used because it is the current "large" bap boost a la guts, etc
[01:24] <Exclaimer> cloudraloo: a 40/60 split
[01:24] <FMD> +3 is the 50% BAP boost...
[01:24] <cloudraloo> so 60% on evade, 40% on hit
[01:24] <cloudraloo> !asbmove dg
[01:24] <@Texas> the principle being that I do not believe flat BAP boosts to be an effective means to address this
[01:24] <Exclaimer> Other way around
[01:24] <ZthePhone> Yeah, we've never had a doubling BAP except HH.
[01:24] <cloudraloo> !asbmove dig
[01:24] <FMD> But Zt, those are entirely different concepts.
[01:25] <cloudraloo> !asbmove quickattack
[01:25] <@Texas> or a desirable one for that matter
[01:25] <ZthePhone> FMD - so you can probably just chalk that down to me being paranoid v_v
[01:25] <@Texas> as I said, i believe we should remain true to the doubled BAP which will inherently make the ability worthwhile, and limit the situations in which it applies to ones that are competitively viable but not overpowered
[01:26] <@Texas> i.e. targeting the self switching mechanic

[01:26] <FMD> Adaptability is a x2 we have and it's +5 (+3 and +2 together).
[01:26] <@Texas> i think targeting the switch phase mechanic is convoluted, open to abuse, potentially both overpowered and underpowered
[01:26] <@Texas> and not a road we should go down, especially when another viable alternative exist

[01:26] <FMD> A pursuit-esque boost will be a complete reversal of what the ability does.
[01:26] <@Texas> that being targeting the self switch mechanic
[01:27] <@~Its_A_Random> stakeout will not be the only controversial ability for implementation
[01:27] <@~Its_A_Random> Disguise - Passive | Mold Breaker: Yes | Summons a disguise on send-out. Blocks all attacks. Fades if hit by a damaging move. If hit by multi-hit with disguise up, absorbs one hit of a multi-hit move.
[01:27] <@~Its_A_Random> thoughts?
[01:27] <ZthePhone> So, a clash of principles..?
[01:27] <FMD> Okay, how do you target U-Turn without it being the same as Pursuit's effect?
[01:27] <@Texas> My personal proposal is to double the BAP with Gumshoos attacks a Pokemon using or set to use a self-switching move
[01:27] <FMD> I'm fine with that, IAR.
[01:27] <@Texas> i dont particularly care if it is or isnt the same as pursuit's effect
[01:28] <@Texas> that is not a relevant concern
[01:28] <@Texas> seems reasonable IAR
[01:28] <ZthePhone> IAR - so basically a 1HP Sub with extra benefits?
[01:28] <FMD> But it's not what the ability does at all.
[01:28] <@Texas> possibly overpowered
[01:28] <@~Its_A_Random> basically ZthePhone
[01:28] <Exclaimer> !asbstats diggersby
[01:29] <@Texas> perhaps this is a concept unfamiliar to you, but there is a line that we must straddle between staying true to original game mechanics and compromising on mechanics so that we can create effects that are both competitively balanced and competitively viable
[01:29] <@Texas> i have stated my opposition to your proposal on those bases
[01:29] <ZthePhone> I like it. I'd maybe word to explicitly give it a regular 5 HP Sub, just for kicks.
[01:29] <FMD> Stakeout has absolutely no effect on the Pokemon that's switching out. You're trying to make it have an effect on ONLY the Pokemon switching out.
[01:29] <%Rainman> Yea uhh I'd personally it be balanced rather than true to ingame
[01:30] <ZthePhone> Why not both, is what I'd ask.
[01:30] <Exclaimer> I prefer balance but I don't see Gumshoos as being overpowered with that ability, even with Strong Jaws included
[01:30] <@Texas> FMD we do not have an equal representation to the in0game switching mechanic that Stakeout targets
[01:30] <@Texas> we must inherently compromise on the mechanical implementation
[01:30] <Exclaimer> Unless it gets boosts similar stats to Sableye or Diggersby where it gets multiple boosts to multiple stats via Rare Candy
[01:30] <FMD> A +5 after something switches in is powerful, not broken, fits in-game, and I see no problem with it.
[01:31] <@Texas> You may not
[01:31] <@Texas> I've said all that needs to be said about my position for the time being
[01:31] <@Texas> And it seems that you have done similarly
[01:32] <FMD> Does anybody other than Texas think that +5 for a round under or over powered? :/
[01:32] <@~Its_A_Random> wimp out will be tricky
[01:33] <@~Its_A_Random> esp since switch = ko exists
[01:33] <DeathWriter> it could work the same way as dragon tail and similar moves in switch ko
[01:33] <DeathWriter> maybe idk
[01:33] <ZthePhone> Free Protect or something?
[01:33] <FMD> I say it gets Escape Button's effect of dodging one move.
[01:33] <Exclaimer> FMD, you're up vs DeathWriter still btw
[01:34] <FMD> @asbitem Escape Button
[01:34] <+ASBot> Item not found.
[01:34] <FMD> Ugh... what's the name?
[01:34] <DeathWriter> @asbitem Eject Button
[01:34] <+ASBot> Eject Button | Item Type: Consumable | Cost: 6 CC | Affected Pokemon: All | Max Uses Per Match: Once | Trigger: Commanded - [Upon being hit by *insert move* or *insert opponent* or Any Move THEN Activate Eject Button, Effect 1 or 2] | Nat. Gift Type: N/A | Nat. Gift BAP: N/A
[01:34] <+ASBot> After being struck by an opposing Pokemon's attack, during that action, this may be activated by the player without using an action. To activate it use the trigger syntax or anything similar, without it taking a sub slot. The player can specify an attack, an opponent or make it activate after any attack. When activated, this item is consumed and the activating Pokemon may do any one of the following:
[01:34] <+ASBot> 1: Be guaranteed a successful dodge against the opposing Pokemon's next action
[01:34] <+ASBot> 2: Switch out at the end of the round to another of the player's Pokemon of their choosing (Cannot be chosen if Switch=KO or the player has no other available Pokemon)
[01:34] <DeathWriter> that?
[01:35] <ZthePhone> Well, looks good enough.
[01:35] Matezoide (uid155551@synIRC-924C5ACA.brockwell.irccloud.com) joined #capasb.
[01:35] <Matezoide> Yo Its_A_Random
[01:35] <@~Its_A_Random> Going to make dancer a toggle ability as a fail safe for being en drained into an en ko
[01:35] <@~Its_A_Random> hey
[01:35] <Matezoide> Was Ash-Greninja officially confirmed?
[01:35] <Matezoide> Or you put that in just in case?
[01:36] <ZthePhone> Dogfish-Emolga YEEEAAAH
[01:36] <FMD> Seems fair, IAR.
[01:36] <Matezoide> Also yeah, toggle for dancer sounds good
[01:36] <@~Its_A_Random> Matezoide: just in case
[01:37] FMD (Mibbit@F52852D4.826D74C9.DBCFBE7F.IP) left irc: Quit: Brb.
[01:37] <Matezoide> Alright, makes sense
[01:38] <Matezoide> Any other ability you guys are trying to think how to implement? Wimp Out seems annoying
[01:38] <@Texas> quick question for you guys
[01:38] <cloudraloo> i hope we get a special huge power clone
[01:38] <cloudraloo> and give it to stunfisk
[01:38] <@Texas> can anyone think of an ability that adds between 15 and 22.5 damage across three actions
[01:39] <ZthePhone> Anger Point.
[01:39] <Matezoide> Adaptability on a x4 weak mon
[01:39] <cloudraloo> everstone protean
[01:39] <Matezoide> Zt dont be silly Anger Point is 36 :^]
[01:39] <@Texas> keep going
[01:39] <Matezoide> Parental Bond?
[01:40] <cloudraloo> huge power
[01:40] <Matezoide> Pure Power
[01:40] <@Texas> ideally ignore things that depend on ranks
[01:40] <cloudraloo> mate power
[01:40] <@Texas> those arent accurate depictions for this purpose
[01:40] <Matezoide> Fair enough
[01:40] <@Texas> pure damage increases
[01:40] <@Texas> whether through bap boosts or otheriwse
[01:40] <@Texas> rank boosts over average are acceptable
[01:40] <Exclaimer> Texas, does Protean not count for your descriptions
[01:40] <@Texas> type coverage acceptable only up to SE
[01:41] <@Texas> protean will serve
[01:41] <Matezoide> Mold Breaker with OHKO moves against Sturdy mons?
[01:41] <ZthePhone> LO SF
[01:41] <Exclaimer> it'll give 13.5 extra damage only actually
[01:41] <Matezoide> Obvious stretch though
[01:41] FMD (Mibbit@F52852D4.826D74C9.DBCFBE7F.IP) joined #capasb.
[01:41] <@Texas> Anger Point after a crit, Adaptability on a 4x weak mon, Parental Bond, Life Orb Sheer Force
[01:42] <@Texas> the current list of moves that give between 15 and 22.5 extra damage across 3 actions
[01:42] <Exclaimer> Oh across three actions
[01:42] <Exclaimer> Protean can work
[01:42] <@Texas> all extremely strong yeah?
[01:42] <FMD> I miss anything?
[01:42] <Matezoide> Rivalry on x4 weak mons i guess?
[01:42] <@Texas> now consider +5 BAP for the first three actions after a switch
[01:42] <@Texas> same power level

[01:42] <ZthePhone> Most of them extremely situational too, Tex.
[01:42] <@Texas> precisely
[01:43] <ZthePhone> With exception of Protean.
[01:43] <Exclaimer> And parental bond and sheer force
[01:43] <@~Its_A_Random> !asbility swift swim
[01:43] <ZthePhone> Parental Bond at least has an inherent cost.
[01:43] <Matezoide> Yeah only Parental Bond isnt really situational, but thats a Mega
[01:43] <DeathWriter> mega launcher with the appropriate move against 4x weak?
[01:43] <FMD> I say we match Adaptability's +5 (because it's a modifier to STAB, I'm including the +3 with the +2 for +5).
[01:43] <Matezoide> Oh Technician as well, Tex
[01:43] <@Texas> tech caps at 13.5 no?
[01:44] <@Texas> 6*`1.5 for a 3 BAP boost, 4.5 per at 2x SE
[01:44] <ZthePhone> But you've made your point.
[01:44] <FMD> Multi-hit moves, +5 each use, +15 over 3 attacks.
[01:44] <Matezoide> Multi-hit moves though, but i guess it would need Skill Link with it
[01:44] <Matezoide> What ability is this about?
[01:45] <Matezoide> Gumshoe?
[01:45] <@Texas> i was illustrating the power level of stakeout when a +5 modifier is used
[01:45] <ZthePhone> Yup Mate.
[01:45] <cloudraloo> Can't we just make stakeout work like parental bond?
[01:45] <ZthePhone> Yeah Tex, but it is easily scalable. That is my counter.
[01:45] <@~Its_A_Random> I've added ability list for now, no changes to stakeout at the present moment since I am more concerned with getting things up for now though that does not mean I have ignored this convo
[01:45] <FMD> Powerful, yes, but anything switching in on something with it will always be the best Pokemon left to deal with it.
[01:46] <@Texas> 1.5x BAP for the round? worth consideration
[01:46] <FMD> I'd be okay with x1.5 for a round.
[01:46] <ZthePhone> If +5 BAP for 3a is unacceptable, we can just as easily scale it to 2a duration. Not super-convoluted at all.
[01:47] <@Texas> i'm pretty fundamentally opposed to having the ability work for 2a as opposed to a rounds duration
[01:47] <@~Its_A_Random> !asbmove absorb
[01:47] <Matezoide> Eh, i guess it would depend on Gumshoe's power as well
[01:47] <Matezoide> As for that point, i would agree with Texas
[01:47] <@Texas> its not consistent with how we have the system set up
[01:47] <Matezoide> 2 actions is just...
[01:47] <Matezoide> Clunky.
[01:47] <FMD> I assume Gumshoos will have pretty decent coverage.
[01:47] <@Texas> at the moment i'd say there's three viable proposals
[01:48] <@Texas> the +5 Bap for the first round post switch, the 1.5x BAP for the first round post switch, and my double BAP when attacking an enemy using a self-switching move

[01:48] <Matezoide> We could leave those three proposals and have a vote once we have more information on the pokemon that get these moves, i believe
[01:49] <Matezoide> It is good to have a general idea at this moment, but we can have a final decision once we know more
[01:49] <FMD> We have like 4 months to decide, so there's no rush.
[01:49] <@Texas> indeed
[01:50] <@Texas> similarly though, there's no need to decide on one outcome and leave it to sit and become familiar for four months
[01:50] <@Texas> as was a possible outcome had the original proposal not been challenged

So yeah, anyone want to help out? This will probably end up going to a council vote depending on whether or not we get a general consensus which we probably won't so expect a vote.

I think [01:47] <@Texas> at the moment i'd say there's three viable proposals
[01:48] <@Texas> the +5 Bap for the first round post switch, the 1.5x BAP for the first round post switch, and my double BAP when attacking an enemy using a self-switching move

seems like most of what would could possibly be done. The only other suggestion I might add is maybe doubled BAP for the first attack to land that round? Or maybe for the first action / first two actions?

Also would like to point out that snipercrit ingame is 2.25x, and in asb is +5. so kinda sorta not really a comparison? (+5 seen as on par with 2.25x?)

Edit @ below: you're right: it doesn't have to be limited to the round the switch happens does it, if it's just "procs once"

Last edited:

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Fort said:
.... maybe doubled BAP for the first attack to land.... ?
Hey, this one is pretty cool too! Not OP because it only procs once, but since it cannot be completely cockblocked by Gumshoos' opponent using Protective/Evasvie moves, it still makes for a viable Ability (assuming Gumshoos has at least some 18 BRT).

Just did a few calcs of Gumshoos Hyper Fang. (Holding Razor Fang, Adamant against R3 neutral)

(8 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 27 dmg Stake Out +5
(18 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 37 dmg Stake Out +5 in a combo
(16 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 30 dmg Stake Out x2 BAP
(36 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 50 dmg Stake Out x2 BAP in a combo

Just did a few calcs of Gumshoos Hyper Fang. (Holding Razor Fang, Adamant against R3 neutral)

(8 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 27 dmg Stake Out +5
(18 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 37 dmg Stake Out +5 in a combo
(16 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 30 dmg Stake Out x2 BAP
(36 + 7.5 - 4.5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2) = 50 dmg Stake Out x2 BAP in a combo
so that'd be 22 and 32 dmg without stake out.

over the course of an entire round, that'd change: (for hyper fang x3)
66 dmg to 81 for +5 1r
66 -> 78 for 1.5x 1r
66 -> 74 for 2x 1a

hyper fang^2 ~ cooldown ~ hyper fang goes:
from 54 -> 64 with +5 1r
54 -> 66 with 1.5x 1r
54 -> 72 with x2 1a

hyper fang ~ hyper fang ~ hyper fang + hyper fang would then be:
76 -> 91 with +5 for 1r
76 -> 92 with 1.5x for 1r
76 -> 84 with 2x for 1a

assuming x2 uses the "1 hit" thing while the other suggestions are all a full round

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As I stated in the other thread, I think we should try to keep things as natural as possible. We can always tweak later.

So I s'pose that means I'm in favor of doubled BAP for the next round whenever an opponent switches in. Let's see what that can do. Yah it's powerful, but it's also very situational.

thing with natural in this case is that you don't get to attack 3 times in 1 turn in-game.
anyhow, using birkal's suggestion,

hyper fang x3:
66->90

hyper fang^2 ~ cooldown ~ hyper fang:
54 ->80

hyper fang ~ hyper fang ~ hyper fang + hyper fang:
76->110

*whistles*

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Note that this is Gumshoos, a Pokemon with 2/2 defenses and abysmal speed. It is undermined by damaging / evasive, protective / evasive, Substitute, ability loss, and other strategies. Just because it can do insane damage does not mean that it is unbeatable. You have to risk bringing a subpar Pokemon to a match and getting it in at the exact right time in order for it to shine. And even if you get there, you are going to be strapped for substitutions by the aforementioned problems. Think of it like a RageCandyBar, except even shorter and easier to prevent. It's a great ability, but I can't imagine it being broken in its current circumstances.

Note that this is Gumshoos, a Pokemon with 2/2 defenses and abysmal speed. It is undermined by damaging / evasive, protective / evasive, Substitute, ability loss, and other strategies. Just because it can do insane damage does not mean that it is unbeatable. You have to risk bringing a subpar Pokemon to a match and getting it in at the exact right time in order for it to shine. And even if you get there, you are going to be strapped for substitutions by the aforementioned problems. Think of it like a RageCandyBar, except even shorter and easier to prevent. It's a great ability, but I can't imagine it being broken in its current circumstances.
We'd probably want to add some kind of swapping/copying limiter then. Because no one wants to be forced to switch into a stakeout mega gardevoir.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I want this to be wrapped up soon so 48 hour warning. I'll assess the options in the thread and go from there once time.

to make IAR's life happier, the suggestions are

2x BAP for first landed hit
2x BAP for 1r
1.5x BAP for 1r
+5 BAP for 1r

ediZt: There's also Texas' proposal - "2x BAP when attacking an enemy using a self-switching move"

Last edited by a moderator:

Frosty

=_=
As I said on the other thread I agree with birkal. Its an ability that will only trigger if the opponent switches or replaces a mon fainted (dunno if the latter applies actually but if not it only adds to the point).

The first situation is interesting because it is something triggered by the opponent (dunno how this interacts with phazing or if gumshoos can even phase). Ignoring that I cant see why one would feel the need to switch against gumshoos, any switch is only made if they provide a significant benefit. so if you are giving a boost to staying against said benefit, it must be a damn good boost to dissuade the opponent. Worst case scenario it works like a wider shadow tag with the option to switch under those circunstances. hardly broken. you cant see the numbers in a vaccuum and go "oh those are bad". the context is important.

The second situation involves gumshoos getting a KO which kinda speaks for itself, since, you know, that means the might gumshoos is already beaten. and given it is gumshoos, he should be very beaten, so I doubt it would have much room to attack thrice like that without being koed.

Finally there is a major reason to make a round of big boost: chicken dance. barring regigigas (poor emma) all mons can use protect to stall two actions from a round. some three. so the situation presented above simply wont happen. if worst comes to worst uou should see one combo tops. and it must be damn good one to counter the momentum against gumshoos and the fact that there are following rounds. and you are with gumshoos.

As I said on the other thread I agree with birkal. Its an ability that will only trigger if the opponent switches or replaces a mon fainted (dunno if the latter applies actually but if not it only adds to the point).

The first situation is interesting because it is something triggered by the opponent (dunno how this interacts with phazing or if gumshoos can even phase). Ignoring that I cant see why one would feel the need to switch against gumshoos, any switch is only made if they provide a significant benefit. so if you are giving a boost to staying against said benefit, it must be a damn good boost to dissuade the opponent. Worst case scenario it works like a wider shadow tag with the option to switch under those circunstances. hardly broken. you cant see the numbers in a vaccuum and go "oh those are bad". the context is important.

The second situation involves gumshoos getting a KO which kinda speaks for itself, since, you know, that means the might gumshoos is already beaten. and given it is gumshoos, he should be very beaten, so I doubt it would have much room to attack thrice like that without being koed.

Finally there is a major reason to make a round of big boost: chicken dance. barring regigigas (poor emma) all mons can use protect to stall two actions from a round. some three. so the situation presented above simply wont happen. if worst comes to worst uou should see one combo tops. and it must be damn good one to counter the momentum against gumshoos and the fact that there are following rounds. and you are with gumshoos.
a lot of your argument stems from the fact that the users are gumshoos. And seeing as we won't be adding a pure/huge power type of restrictor, ability transfers could very well happen, esp since doubles is a perfectly valid format (which can also explain why the opponent would switch / how you phaze).

On the topic of KOs, he might be sent in after a mon dies to clean up. Then next round he gets huge damage/en drain on the incoming mon.

I admit the chicken dance thing is a great point though, especially for mons who have flat 7en p/e moves instead of just eating up en. The first landed hit thing would have more or less the same effect, without the wasted chicken dance round.

Though you're absolutely right, we're looking at this from a vacuum instead of in context.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Final Stakeout said:
Stakeout - Passive | Mold Breaker: No | This Pokémon becomes very angry when a target tries to run away from it and so this Pokémon's Attacks have double BAP against a target using a Self-Switching move that action. Furthermore its attacks have double BAP against a target who had been switched in via Switch Phase or via Self-Switching Move for the round if this Pokémon was on the field the previous round. The BAP increases does not stack.
This will be Stakeout's effect when Gen VII ASB is released. I have not come across a sufficiently convincing argument to reduce the power of Stakeout considering the only user is rather weak and that I buy Birkal et al's argument that it is better to be more faithful to in-game and deal with it later (I do have plans to look at doing a SotG some time after the new gen for feedback etc). I took Texas' concerns into account wrt uselessness and made it account for Self-Switchers as well with a double boost. I do have concerns about Gumshoos getting double BAP for a round via Self-Switching move as potentially too punishing and will keep an eye on it over the coming weeks.

The reason I haven't thrown this to a council vote (sorry peeps) is because I am not convinced by the other options wrt BAP and limiting scope to an action as opposed to a round and as such, integrated Texas' proposal into Stakeout so as to not make it useless because Gumshoos is not forcing anything out otherwise.

Fin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)