Stall Lords

Weather teams are by far the most annoying thing in the meta(for me any way) either that or stall. So lets make a sandstorm stall team. This team is very well hated by most people - even me - as a win will take about 1/2 hour if all goes to plan. With only 11 attacking moves and only 6 with BP over 65 the team kills mostly with status and the residual damage fro the sand. So here are the Pokemon:

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

Yes i know, not a good start for a stall team but excellent none the less. T-Tar leads and sets up sandstorm and ... wait wheres stealth rock? So yes a completely offensive T-Tar with no Band. Whilst not keeping to the stall theme this set can take down 2 Pokemon easy. T-Tar is predictable right its going to Stealth Rock so i can too, LOL NOPE Stone Edge OHKO. The most amusing thing this set has is "Foe Terrakion used Close Combat, Critical Hit, Super Effective, Sash, Foe Terrakion's Def and S.Def fell, Tyranitar used Eathquake, Super Effective, Foe Terrakion Fainted. Shellshocker Forfeited"
Gets me every time. Avalanche OHKOs most things with weakness to it with the 120 power return after being hit. The 0 Spd is for ensuring that my sand goes up over other weathers.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Ice Fang
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

This seams more like it. Look I even found the Stealth Rock this time. The team needs to have the sandstorm up for constant damage and the S.Def boost on Shuckle. So this thing is kind of a necessity and almost certain victory in a weather war. Ice Fang catches big dragons off guard and dose about 60% to most. Slack Off for recovery. Stealth rock as about 20% of the teams damage and is vital in damaging in a technical game. Whirlwind smashes things up forcing out on to spikes and rocks and preventing set up.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Spikes

The first corner stone of the team: the Special Defender. Tanking so many things and setting up spikes. Ferrothorn can take so many things and thusly provides most of my swaps in and out. Can set up Leech Seed then swap out providing a cushion for the attack on swap in. Power Whip is very useful as most sets run it as Thunder Wave so it can catch people off guard and stops being taunt bait.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Sand Tomb

The second corner stone: the Defender. By far the best Pokemon on the team. Glisor can effortlessly take down anything that toxic hits by trapping with Sand Tomb. Walls almost every physical move in the game, then just sits there "Protect, Substitute" whilst the toxic count builds to crazy levels. Only down side is that it dose the same thing as Shuckle: toxic stall and a ground type damage move but other than that awesome.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Trait: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 242 Def / 16 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Shell Smash
- Rest
- Toxic
- Mud-Slap

Shuckie XOXO

Well a Contrary shuckle now you've seen every thing. Shell Smash + Contrary for a cosmic power seems good. Once up to 6+ stats are (sandstorm provides 1.5x S.Def for rock types) 244 13 2456 14 3000 12. Seen some thing bust through 3000 S.Def in one turn (with out crits). Most of the time they will swap in (on to rocks + spikes) and use toxic 2-3 turns later rest. Mud-Slap is the final piece in this rage quit puzzle forcing swap out. This set is not by any means un-counterable in fact every attack has 6.25% chance to kill it but this thing takes down a 3 Pokemon most games.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Recover

Mainly in for type coverage but can do some serious damage when it gets the S.Atk boost of storm drain. Clear smog breaks baton-pass and set ups over ferrothorn. and recover - amazingly - recovers

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey CRUSHnKILL,

I've played you many times and I've loved watching you grow from a simple, DS player to an informed competitive battler. You obviously have a love for Shuckle and I presume you wouldn't want me to suggest a change for it. For those curious, he doesn't actually use it until any phazers/threats are killed.

Right now you're currently lacking in the specially defensive department, and while your Gastrodon is a nice block for rain teams, I suggest you change the EV spread to 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD with a Calm nature. This improves your specially defensive side a lot while your other pokes can block physically. The 84 evs into defense also assist in taking it some specific hits on the physical side as well. I also suggest changing Earth Power for Toxic. Currently, Gastrodon isn't strong enough to be able to use Earth Power (even with +1) as well as it could and Toxic can be useful for slowly bringing down bulkier Pokemon or hitting a Politoed to win the weather war.

Next up, I suggest that if you intend to keep Tyranitar in your team as a secondary weather starter and lead, you change it to a more defensive set so that with its already superb bulk in tandem with the +50% sp def it brings in from sandstorm, it is more capable of taking hits. I'll put the set below but it will act a secondary special defender as there is currently a lot of pressure on Gastrodon (and Ferrothorn too) to stop special attackers. If you choose to use Stealth Rock in its set, this could also free up a move slot for Hippo to carry another move of its liking (probably Earthquake to hit Heatran and Electric types).

Finally I suggest you change Gliscor's EV spread to 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe. This EV spread, suggested by Smogon, allows Gliscor to use its Speed in conjunction with its already quite impressive speed. This spread makes Gliscor hit 244 Speed stat, key for being able to outrun Jolly Tyranitar, Timid Magnezone and slower Celebi and Tentacruel variants.

Summary of changes:
Gastrodon's EV spread -> 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD (and a Calm nature)
Gastrodon (Earth Power) -> Toxic

Tyranitar's current set -> Defensive Set

Gliscor's EV Spread -> 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

Tyranitar set:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
~ Stealth Rock
~ Pursuit / Crunch
~ Fire Blast
~ Earthquake / Superpower / Crunch

edit: forgot to mention that Fire Blast on TTar solves your Ferrothorn problem, which NidoJosh emphasised.

Good luck with your team!

Hey sorry I don't have a lot of time for a proper rate..
but how do you deal with opposing Ferrothorn's or Forretress's?
You seem to rely heavy on toxic stalling and sandstorm for damage..
but I honestly see Ferro as a huge threat to your team and I doubt many of your pokemon can actually touch it effectively
Just curious to see how you deal with it especially if it got a leech seed on you

One thing to keep in mind. If Gliscor dies, then subpunch Breloom will EAT your team. It's rare, I know, but twisted bastards like me love to run it, so be careful.

i know this team can't really deal with a ferrothorn well other than glisor to nullify it and force out but all teams must have a counter i know it is something that will be put in when then team is changed; probaly shellshockers T-Tar set

Hi, like Shell says, i suggest a Tyranitar Defensive set. You can change your Hippowdon for a Forretress because i think that you need a spinner just one of your pokemons is not affected by hazards. And my last suggestion is change clear smog per Toxic in gastrodon

1. this team has a horrid weakness to grass type moves where only one pokemon on the team resists it being ferrothorn, this can be easily countered by carrying a fire type move on the pokemon that also has access to grass type moves for example any sun team.
2. you have no effective wa of dispatching alternate weather setters makeing it hard to maintain your sandstorm. spamming sand streamers doesnt make your play style any more viable, i would suggest running a gothitelle or dugtrio set that takes a movest to counter politoed (counters for ninetales not being necisary because of the common place of earthquake throghout the tier)
3. carrying two toxic stallers is a waste, being that this team will often leave enemy teams with crippled pokemon across the board it opens up many oportunities to revenge kill with moxie pokemon ie a scarfed gyrados or salamence the first haveing the best defensive synergy with the team and provideing a hard check to opposing rain teams while the second provideing more offensive power and the capability to use special attacks if neccisary.
4. if you are in need of useing a shuckle set consider useing bind in place of mud slap as it allows to trap for better residual damage and to stop end game pp switch out stalling.
5. tyranitar has great defensive stats i doubt it would ever need focus sash and in the case of terrakion where you to take on my previous suggestion about gyrados then this would only make gyrados capable of eating up terakion to pose a great sweeping threat against unprepared or weakened teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)