DPP OU Stall Team

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't need to tell you it's a well built stall team so I won't bother ;)

I'm just wondering, have you ever considered the odd combination of Dark Pulse + HP Fire on Spiritomb. Even though I know this team heyday was significantly prior to platinum, SD Heracross (and now SD Scizor with platinum) could be a bit problematic. HP Fire also removes any Forretress from the picture that like to get cute and lay down some Spikes of there own. Still also deals with Lucario etc. Although, Heatran unfortunately is walls it but Blissey + Tentacruel + (if you are really really desperate) Hippowdon can usually handle it anyway. I suppose it helps with CB Tyranitar, HP Fighting that is, since CB Pursuit / Crunch still hurts even though it's not weak to it and you don't want to lose your anti-spinner. Ugh, tough decisions :[. Just wondering if you've ever thought about it. I'd probably end up using SBall+HP Fighting myself, but just throwing the other idea out there.

Just a thought. Probably too bizarre lol.

Edit: Personally, I'd run Reflect on Celebi over U-turn but to each their own (I get why you use U-turn I've just always found that I like Reflect, both are good options though).

Edit 2 @ below post (Conan Edogawa415): Nobody runs ThunderPunch on MixApe. I can always come up with a hypothetical Pokemon that can beat any team; but in reality it just doesn't exist in practice so it's largely a moot, purely academic point. Besides that, even a maximum Attack Hasty Life Orb ThunderPunch doesn't OHKO Tentacruel (who is arguably the best counter to any MixApe). A Life Orb Close Combat barely even scratches Hippowdon. For Fire Blast / Hidden Power Ice to be effective against Hippowdon you can't use maximum Attack either making the threat of ThunderPunch significantly reduced against Tentacruel. The only way that set really hurts this team is if that Infernape is running Infernape @ Life Orb, Hasty, 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe.

a mix ape running life orb and this moveset

fire blast/flamethrower
thunderpunch
close combat
hp ice

that can really hurt this team. those all out mix ape attackers are becoming more and more popular

fire blast/flamethrower
thunderpunch
close combat
hp ice

that can really hurt this team. those all out mix ape attackers are becoming more and more popular
yeah, if it can manage to stay alive for more than few turns with all that recoil damage. tpunch and fire blast also don't OHKO tentacruel or Hippowdon respectively who can OHKO back in return.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender

fire blast/flamethrower
thunderpunch
close combat
hp ice

I think Grass Knot is way more dangerous than HP Ice for this team.
And as Bogmire said, the best bet would be Tentacruel, which survives and ohkos back

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hail teams / Abomasnow could be bad news for this team, as there's nothing that really walls abomasnow completely. Also, with hail going on, it'll be harder to stall.
You have to remember that Abomasnow can't really switch in either. Stealth Rocks will take a heavy toll on him, and if Obi (or you) does his job right, it really shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, Tentacruel does a fair job at walling Obomasnow.

I recently found out this was the "Obi Stall" people were referring to in my thread and how my team or other stall teams are comparable to "Obi Stall" I should read the stickies more often. It's a good team to be honest, I knew the Hippo was staples, SkarmBliss - the dreaded combo is a staples also. I could see why many people suggested Celebi on my thread, this is like the perfect Stall Team. Good job man.

You have to remember that Abomasnow can't really switch in either. Stealth Rocks will take a heavy toll on him, and if Obi (or you) does his job right, it really shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, Tentacruel does a fair job at walling Obomasnow.
Tentacruel doesn't do shit to Abomasnow, unless it has Sludge Bomb which not many do. As long as Abomsnow isn't switching in on 2 layers to Toxic Spikes, then he's pretty much free to Subseed. Most stall teams don't have a way to beat Subseed Obama, except by hurting him on the switch. Not necessarily this team, seeing as Blissey has Flamethrower, but those Ice Beam Bliss and even the Seismic Toss bliss can't win if it eats a focus punch.

You'll have trouble breaking his sub if Abomasnow is running the best EV spread, max HP / max SpD.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tentacruel doesn't do shit to Abomasnow, unless it has Sludge Bomb which not many do. As long as Abomsnow isn't switching in on 2 layers to Toxic Spikes, then he's pretty much free to Subseed. Most stall teams don't have a way to beat Subseed Obama, except by hurting him on the switch. Not necessarily this team, seeing as Blissey has Flamethrower, but those Ice Beam Bliss and even the Seismic Toss bliss can't win if it eats a focus punch.

You'll have trouble breaking his sub if Abomasnow is running the best EV spread, max HP / max SpD.
Who ever said that Tentacruel needed to kill Abomasnow? All it really requires is to set up the necessary layer of Toxic Spikes, then thus go to possibly Blissey or any of the remaining to force the switch.

You are also pulling a lot of "what if" situations. Obviously if you pull a what if, you are opening another what if situation in which you could capitalize on. I mean I could play the same game with Tentacruel. What if he ran rest? That would thus make Abomasnow incapable of just stalling him out. Who cares that Tentacruel can't do much to him, isn't that what stall teams are about? Stalling.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The point of the team is not for you to rate it, but to see how Obi has constructed such a fantastic team for the metagame last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)