(Stall) Terrible Triremes

Well hello there! I've been planning and waiting to post this team for a while now, though admittedly it has been in concept for far longer than in form. But when 'concept' was a 2.5 month long trial period of scouting OU threats and working to condense all of them into six pokemon, I feel that it was well worth it.

So, assuming you know my one and only playstyle and clicked only because you were interested in that, I'm going to try and condense as much ideology as I can into a few short paragraphs. I would have made this a rather "Joke" RMT but the quality/quantity of work put into this was far more than something I can even joke about... In fact, it is quite sad the amount of active time I spent developing this. I will, however, delve a lot into the teambuilding of this team, and not really focus in the battling aspect. Not interested, really. I play stall pretty well, but it gives me no satisfaction to win and only infuriates me on the rare times I lose. I'll let this team speak for itself in battle, the tests I have put it through have shown it to be a rival (If not a successor) of my previous team.

As we all know, stall aims to wall off the metagame. There have been two major* philosophies in teambuilding... Core design and "target" design. Both are used, but I'm slightly unsure of an official name for the ladder, thus the quotations. This generation in stall, I have only seen core-centered teams. This isn't bad at all, but seeing as that core is almost always the same, it gets boring.

Core design is something like the Dreadnoughts, based off a F/W/G core and pokemon that pair exceptionally well together. Focuses basically on team synergy to float through the metagame. In practice and in theory, core design has two different outputs. Practiced cores (VenuTran/SkarmBliss/RegeneratorDuos) work because they cover threats... Stumbling on these cores can happen when theorizing (I think VenuTran was more a discovery after I put together the F/W/G core). The old Gen4 Celetran core for Gyarados comes to mind. Theory cores (F/W/G) aren't nearly as good in practice because they don't account for dual typings and coverage moves, and as such need practice to round them out.

That being said, they are still largely successful and it should take nothing away from the teams that use them. These cores are far more effective on balanced teams and teams with less than five/six pokemon to give. Even in a 'target' team, a core may be developed simply because a threat can't be fully taken care of otherwise, or because they play so well off each other.

However. This team took the approach of target design, focusing on major threats and listing options to take care of them. I'm not sure how deeply they strive to, but I took about the first 50 off the offensive meta and looked into them. The best example I have is using Mandibuzz to specifically take Bisharp/Deo-S/Aegislash. I didn't really ever "learn" this style from anyone, but C05ta's gen5 stall teams became a large influence to me. Costa always told (Or scolded) me that core teams failed in the ways stated above but at the time I really couldn't put together a team from the target design because I didn't have the time or motivation.

While no team can take away every threat, no matter how well built, this team sought to take away all of the most-seen threats on their most-standard sets, and even attack some standard playstlyes (Fuck your baton pass chains)... Some leniency was given, as for something like Greninja, you want something that can take all moves available to it and Thundurus-i's physical set should be considered. There are threats I KNOW I left out, not because I wanted to, but I simply couldn't get around to with the pokes I chose. If I can make adjustments for it, I will. It's probably better that I can tell you the limits of this team right now. Or, the issues that you'll have unless you play your cards right.

*Whatever the hell people like SansNickel does probably has a name. TFL drabbles with these seemingly gimmick stall styles, but both TFL and Sans have had success with their respective oddball building styles.

The objectives. Before starting this team a few months ago, I had some objectives. My main objective, of course, was to build a successful stall team that could wall off the majority of the metagame. The specifics, however, was actually railed completely at Bisharp, who I had grown greatly tired of. The DeoSharp core had gotten annoying and I predicted it to continue to grow more popular. During my work through the suspect test, I mainly paid attention (After I realized I didn't want to put in the amount of games to achieve the reqs) to check up on Deo-S' projected status. Realizing it was staying, I figured DeoSharp would eventually become the most dominant offensive style... Whether this is/will be true, I have no idea. But that's where this team sprang forth from.

The team needed three roles. Cleric, Hazard Setter, Hazard Remover. These are basically the Holy Trinity of Stall. The cleric was allotted to have to take care of Kyurem-black as best as possible. The Hazard Remover was set to either take care of Talonflame or Mega pinsir. The setter, I didn't really focus on, knowing all I'd want is stealth rocks.

There were a few restrictions I placed on this team.
  • It could not use Mega Venusaur. I simply wanted to add more avenues to the style, so Mega Venusaur, which defined Stall, couldn't exist on this team.
  • I would not allow more than 2 members from the Dreadnoughts to be on this team. This was just to help me break my own trends.
  • I wanted a "Wild Card" slot. A pokemon who served similarly to Tornadus-T did on my Dreadnoughts, by handling threats and giving a change-up of offensive pressure. This slot needed, in essence, to give me a chance at winning an otherwise difficult game. However, this wild card needed to be a free-standing wall. I wasn't sure what exactly would define this role, but I eventually got one.
There was a post I recently made about Clerics in the stall thread. Half Clerics vs Full Clerics, different "Pressures" asserted and felt by each cleric. This was something I looked into a bit, and for a while I thought I'd be using a split cleric set (Latias/Umbreon). I wanted a cleric that didn't go deadweight on the offensive side or let everything in to take free shots at what I needed to pass to.

This team was built with a few assumptions about the current meta.

• The Meta is mainly physical. Most attacks absorbed (I approximated it to about 66% of attacks) would be from the physical side. Also: Most special attackers in the meta are from the same small select group, meaning that just covering four or five would cover the whole invested special meta.
    This, of course, is not true case-by-case, but it is certainly a trend that was established.
  • The Meta shifts, which are generally based on countering it's own meta, will not affect this team. This is because stall teams stick to the same formula, and since I'm not following that, I'll largely be unaffected by any shifts as I design this team.
  • Pokemon run only their best/second best sets. There are no gimmicks. This is obviously a false assumption, but I can't split hairs about it.
  • If a pokemon is not seen in 40 matches (per usage statistics), it is largely irrelevant. This means pokemon like Reuniculus, and I'm fairly certain most pokemon in "Limbo B".
  • Defensive/support pokemon can be largely ignored and the only ones covered are the ones that have more offensive roles (IE Heatran, Excadrill). There isn't any reason to believe this team CAN'T deal with defensive pokemon, but they weren't looked at due to offensive pokemon being hard enough. This is not the case for Venusaur-mega, who I did look over to make sure I had options against it. Not a lot of options, but there are a few.
  • The assumption of 75% health was made for most counter/checks that I could afford it for. I believe Kyurem-black and a few others were an exception.
Besides these specifications/Restrictions, I entered a pirate pad and started working on my target analysis.

Bisharp is a tough pokemon to counter. Now that dark is resisted by dark/fight, I was forced into a limited pool to start. I tried looking into some rather... interesting sets (sleep talk shed skin scrafty ftw?) but eventually found Chesnaught. It wasn't apparent he should be the first slot at first, but eventually he showed to have major resists and great physical bulk to back up those resists (Edgequake, Bisharp, Aegislash are just a few).

This was quickly coupled with a pokemon I was rather unsure about. I have used Gyarados in the past on stall teams to mixed success. The bulk is very real, as is the attack. But the rock weakness, the lack of recovery and the ease of residual damage had always held me back. However, in my calcs for Charizard-X and Y, this guy was clearly the best option, taking approximately 30% from Zard-Y's solar beam. Also nice to note that Gyarados did spectacularly vs Landorus-i.

With the basis of this team in place, I started searching for a mega pinsir counter. I had three pokemon available, but eventually chose Skarmory over Zapdos due to the rock neutrality and the ability to serve as a hazad setter as well. He continued the very physically-based defensive set I had, as the most major threats this generation are physical. He also served as a pretty good mega-heracross check and had a good defensive typing for leading off.

At this point, I needed to add a cleric. Latias had been part of the defog option so the partial cleric idea was more or less dead. Umbreon could still work, but two of his draws (Aegi stopping, Bisharp check) had already been stolen and he didn't deal too well with Kyurem (though didn't do badly). However, in my notes, I had Sylveon down as a "Counter nuke Cleric". Oddly enough, Sylveon was taking down just about every stall and wall breaker I found. Kyurem-black, Gyarados-mega, Garchomp-mega and Heracross-mega all feared Hyper voice, and so it was quickly decided that Sylveon would serve nicely.

These last two spots were rather odd. By this time, I had actually covered the majority of the threats I had looked at. However, I did have at least ONE requirement left to fill in my 'wildcard' and I also needed a better Talonflame check. Manaphy was something I didn't trust was walled off enough (at the time, Sylveon was the best bet) and I simply didn't have a clue what to do vs it. I actually went to the sweeper calc to check what were the best base options and one of the pokes I had been observing popped up. Porygon2, the ultimate wildcard, was the next addition. He had trace, recovery and access to limitless gimmicks if I wanted.

In my last spot, I narrowed it down to Heatran, Nidoqueen... or quagsire. Heatran provided the better Zard-Y check, Quagsire the better X check and Nidoqueen provided a mawile-mega check as well as a second terrakion check. Eventually, though, I decided on quagsire. I knew two water types generally is a risky prospect, but the two water types in question are completely different beasts, as Gyara is neutral to grass, 4x weak to elec and quag is 4x weak to grass, immune to elec. Quagsire's ability to basically "Solve" the set up sweeper issue was also a fantastic selling point, as even his presence can deter setup. He kills brain cells, I swear it.

Gyarados was great, and to be honest there aren't many pokemon that can replace his sheer importance. However, his rock weakness was bothersome, I had a weakness to mawile and Skarmory was locked up in a moveset that left no room for fun. I had to alleviate this and went to Garchomp, who could solve all of this. The alleviation of roles cannot be overstated.

You may be interested in scrolling through this pastebin. It's all the work I did before starting this team, not including any calculations or formatting to make it easy for me to pick out trends. Checks and counters are kind of loosely put in some places, as some "Checks" were moved to counters simply due to the inability of other pokemon to perform well or that pokemon being one of the consistent pokemon countering others. I paste it because it could be a useful tool in finding counters to threats if you're looking into a stall team. All the pokemon I specifically went over start with a capitalized letter, so they can be control-F searched. There are 32 pokemon that I listed I searched through, all but two offensive. Others were just judged to be outclassed at the time, or just considered later on.

When Marriland finally gets that team chart together, I'd recommend it as a tool to use to check a finished team for weaknesses to mono-types (or get a general judge of what could use more resistances). However, that doesn't seem to be happening. There is, however, another tool that can be very useful.

The "Sweeper Calc" proved useful to me in checking out walls to cover threats. While people have mixed feelings about plugging in teams and checking that way (Spoiler: Rarely ever pretty), plugging in sets of pokemon that threaten your team together and then clicking to "Wall it" works well to find what works vs both threats. I took advantage of this calc a few times to check out walls for both Manaphy and Talonflame, as well ad individual walls for something such as Charizard-X. The only issue is it sticks to "OU common"...

So, shall we start looking through the team?

Chesnaught was the first addition to this team, and probably the single most important to this one. He is responsible for taking the following list:

Bisharp, Aegislash, Conkeldurr, Gyarados-mega, Excadrill, Landorus-t, Terrakion, Keldeo, Tyranitar-mega, Scizor, Check: venusaur-mega. Rotom-w

His move set was tailored to eliminating Aegislash/Bisharp first, and then focused on being able to stall out the rest (or, in Venu's case, wall some sets off). This set used EQ AND Hammer Arm, meaning that Terrakion, Mega Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar and Excadrill could also be slain by attacks alone. I'm still not sure about his moveset, but Aegislash with toxic is becoming too prevalent to just rely on leech seed stalling. Leech seed is a phazing tool that is pretty helpful given his low amount of Synthesis PP and the fact I have him taking weather-setting tyranitar. His special bulk is admittedly awful, but Rotom-w is generally uninvested and Keldeo is still resisted. Besides, I have other Keldeo counters, so it was largely irrelevant if I found a specs keldeo.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake

Garchomp was added to alleviate the moveslot syndrome with Skarmory and to help me solve Charizard-Y AND Mawile. This not only allowed CHOMP to take on mawile while at neutral, it allowed SKARM to take on mawile, essentially giving me a lot of hope. The Spedef is spectacular, it resists Zard a little better but is grounded. While considerably different from Gyara, Gyara's primary job overlaps here and most of the other major threats are resisted. Adding more edgequake resist components is nice, too, as now I have 3 rock resists.

Counter: Aegislash, Charizard-Y, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Heatran, Mandibuzz, Zapdos
Checks: Bisharp, Mawile-M, Scizor-M, Tyranitar, Volcarona

Garchomp can easily appear to make this team semi-stall so him setting rocks may be a nasty surprise to any heatran leads. The three attacks were just chosen for maximum coverage, and fire coverage was needed intensely.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Sylveon is an odd cleric... almost an offensive cleric, something stall didn't really have last generation, at least no access to a bulky full cleric with offensive power. How an eeveeloution's generally mediocre base stats turned this one into such a monster, I have to guess it was based on that fairy typing. But, Sylveon is the "Counter Nuke" (President Reagan started funding the Sylveon project back in '88). Meant for taking on Kyurem-black, Garchomp-mega and some other extreme nukes, Sylveon did all this while fulfilling a cleric role. Sylveon differs from Chansey by having a more difficult time COMING in, but keeping more threats out once in.

Greninja, Conkeldurr, Thundurus-i, Kyurem-black, Keldeo, Dragonite, Garchomp-mega, Gyarados-mega, (Checks) Mega Heracross, Landorus-i (Lacking slude wave), Latios

Hyper voice is invaluable to this team, since it doesn't have nearly as many roar users as the Dreadnoughts. Subs are always an issue for Stall, but Sylveon cuts right through subs and makes Kyub shoot itself in the foot when it subs. The physically defensive spread again is just based on what it takes, as even Latios will be spamming psyshock vs this. I've questioned why I've used Yawn over protect, but Yawn has helped keep targets that come in to take Sylveon while it clerics have to stay out/switch out again.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Skarmory is the bird I just can't get by without. This monstrous beast has been one of the best walls since the start of the SkarmBliss cores. Yeah, it seems time is making it slightly rusty, but this generation Skarmory gained the incredibly important job of countering Pinsir-mega. With Garchomp, Skarmory lives a more relaxing life now defogging when needed and taunting incoming targets. Counter+Taunt is incredibly deadly not only at breaking stall but at preventing sub attackers like Mawile from endgaming me so easily.

Pinsir-mega, Conkeldurr, Gyarados-mega, Excadrill, Azumarill, Landorus-t, Dragonite, Mamoswine, Mega Heracross, Venusaur-mega, Scizor-mega

While he doesn't "Solve" BD azumarill (Dies to it, actually), Gyarados-mega's DD (that's a slight issue, but Gyarados takes it) and Dragonite's DD (Quagsire got it), he does wall off all kinds of attacks and is the best catch for outrage spam (as I don't like to reset them on Sylveon and allow them to choose a new move). Without brave bird, mega venusaur is a bit of a problem, but he doesn't like anything on my team any more than I like him, and I can stall him out with Chenaught, Porygon2 and Skarm, taunting him before he can synthesis if I play well.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Counter
- Roost
- Taunt

When you think of Mega Garchomp counters, I'm fairly certain you don't think of this duck. Neverthless, he does do work against Mega Garchomp. My "Wild Card", this guy quickly became probably the mascot of this team. He is a nightmare for teams with Greninja, Gliscor and Landorus-T, as he simply abuses their own abilities while countering them. Don't ask why his pic is huge, I haven't the slightest clue.

Greninja, Garchomp-mega, Gyarados-mega, Mamoswine, Excadrill, Thundrus-i, Landorus-t, Espeon, Rotom-w, Dragonite, Manaphy, Talonflame, Landorus-i

Yes, this thing is so anti-meta, it could easily become OU. The spread is mixed with an emphisis on the physical side. (again, assumed 2/3 of meta physical, target analysis largely physical). He now becomes the most prominent mixed wall on the team, losing nothing but a few percentage on what he counted and gaining the checking of Landorus-i. Covering most bases with boltbeam (and then loltrolling Magnezone by locking it with Magnet lock...), this one has some bulky sweeping ability once a team is warn down enough. Toxic takes care of some other issues (Mamoswine, Rotom-h, Rotom-w too), but in general is used when I expect a switch or haven't gotten the firepower to immediately bring a threat down. It should be noted that discharge paralyzing Skarm and then killing it off is one of the best option I have for opposing skarms (The other being Quaggy Scald burns, and Sylveon's Hyper Voice does like 30%?). Everything on that list is beaten solely by Porygon2 bar espeon... and maybe Excadrill.

I need to devote a paragraph just to talk about this "WildCard". Trace is really the whole basis (and boltbeam the coverage), allowing Porygon2 to take multiple different pokemon that he wouldn't initially take. Gliscor (Poison heal/toxic combination), Greninja (Boltbeam STAB), Dragonite (multiscale) and Espeon (Magic Bounce) are just some of the obvious examples of his helpful this can be. Even abstract combinations (Copying Escadrill's moldbreaker, toxic'ing Espeon) can exist due to this. Given a bunch of helpful abilities on the opposing team, and some creativity, Porygon2 can literally change a battle. Grabbing Poison heal from gliscor as it toxic'd my switch was an instant win as the opponent had no fighting types remaining. The whole objective is to give a clever player a chance to win in any situation while not detracting from the team's goal to wall everything.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 SAtk / 252 HP
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

My opinion still hasn't changed: This guy kills brain cells. While he is admittedly pretty good, he just seems to inflict cancer of the mind on opponents, who STILL set up with Scizor, Dragonite and other easily counterable pokemon. While he has no defense vs Special attackers and grass attacks, he still does well to anchor the team vs sweepers against players who do recognize what Quagsire does.

Tyranitar-mega, Heatran, Thundurus-i, Landorus-t, Dragonite, Azumarill, Rotom-w (Mostly), Bisharp (mostly), Scizor

The one I'm most iffy about is Azumarill, as CB azumarill breaks Quagsire. The moveset is simple. Recovery, Toxic to take switch-ins (generally special), Haze to take care of BP teams and Mold breakers if I get a shot, and scald to prevent them from having a sweep opportunity in the future. This is purely TFL's quagsire, but I REALLY wanted to mess with Baton Pass teams, especially with their increased popularity.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald

So obviously, through all of this, the pokemon mentioned were just the top threats. Pokemon such as Salamence, for example, were filed under Dragonite and ignored. Flygon/Zygarde under Garchomp-mega, and Tornadus-T under Thundurus-I. While they have their own niche, covering them by and large was the same and thus ignored. Some pokemon simply were ignored due to low usage. Hydregion, Mega Gardevoir both come to mind, and both can cause some issues but handle them with Sylveon/Pory-2 and no harm should arise. This was largely the idea: The biggest fish in the meta are the biggest because they overshadow the smaller fish. Cover them and you're good.

These pokemon, even after being covered, are still problematic.

Charizard-Y destroys if Charchomp is too weak. Pory2 may be able to fill in for a shot.

Belly Drum Azumarill is scarey as hell. Quagsire may be able to take it, but I give no money-back guarantee on this one.

Manaphy ranks as the biggest threat to this team, although I'm not too bothered by the Rain Dance set. Energy ball is a killer of quagsire and the only phazer I have is gyarados. I haven't seen it sweep yet as Sylveon does good damage if I get it in immediately, or if I can toxic it on a switch. It's something I'd like to fix, but haven't had a lot of options for it.

Magic Bounce Espeon might STILL be an issue. Haze quagsire can stop it, Gyarados can phaze it and Skarmory should resist it well enough, but CM on anything I can't toxic immediately is dangerous. This one is largely situational, and based on how healthy Gyarados/Quagsire are.

Mawile-M is the most dangerous wall breaker for this team, though I now have two pokemon that can sort of handle it.

Mega Venusaur may take you a while to kill. It isn't going to sweep anything unless you leave something in that shouldn't be (aka Sylveon/Quagsire) but it will never be "easy" to kill.

Boost special attacking Grass types basically GG this team unless P2 can do some quick work or Gyara gets in before they get to like +4... Not so much any more with Garchomp fire blasting stuff.

I'm sure there are more. We'll find them eventually.

TFL who once again not only inspired the quagsire set, but is a great source for advice and lesser-known stall strategies.

MegaScizor for constantly bugging me to continue work on it (Probably increased my productiveness on this project 10fold).

rdjacobian for his long/intensive rate, which prompted quite a few changes.

And the countless people in the PS! OU room who helped give me advice for specific counterings and random tidbits of meta trends. Their personal experience was invaluable to me when I was gauging what sets could easily become a threat in the near future.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Counter
- Roost
- Taunt

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 SAtk / 252 HP
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

As always, I'd like help on this team. It's further along to completion simply due to the amount of legwork on specific threats, but there is never a time when a Stall team can be considered "Complete". As always, all help will be cited, and I'll try to keep an active change log. Even field testing with just general qualitative data is nice, for instance if a core is forcing too much pressure on a specific pokemon in my team, if there seems to be a trend this team just doesn't have an answer for, or if there's a pokemon that was overlooked due to it being overshadowed that needs specific countering.

In short, all advice/rates are welcome and please feel free not only to use this team, but modify it to your own use (I'd still like to hear the modifications to garner ideas myself).

Last edited:
Reserving this for anything I may do (mainly filling out that whole threatlist)

Currently focusing on!

How does the team function? All feedback welcome, will focus on complains as more occur.

Most recenge changes: Bold < Calm on Sylveon, squeezes some extra EVs in the Spdef side.
Magic Coat P2: Gives some chance vs Deo- leads.
Mixed wall Porygon2: Better way to check Landorus-i

Garchomp > Gyarados: Alleviating all of Skarmory's Move slot syndrome.

Counter on Skarmory: There are now ways to dent Mawile-m and allow for stall breaking now that Garchomp plays nice with Skarmory. This change is probably the most important one I've made so far.

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Well, AJ, this team looks great.
2.5 months is a hell of a lot of time, but looking at it, it's quite impressive what you've assembled.
Non Mega-Venusaur stall is ballsy.
But a couple of things.
Why aren't you running Spiky Shield>Earthquake in Chesnaught? Hammer Arm has essentially the same major coverage as Earthquake (skarm completely shuts down Poison-Types) andSpiky Shield not only protects you from damage, but it's damage-on-contact ability really helps with the physically-oriented metagame that is X/Y OU.
However, Earthquake is your only real move against Aegislash. You can't just outstall it when Aegis rocks the Shadow Ball.

Second, you forgot Skarmory's moveset. :P

Added skarmory's moveset back in. As of right now, almost the ONLY reason I have EQ is for aegislash, as I am deathly afraid of having to stall that target without. Yeah, I'd like to have Spiky Shield, but I'm not sure if I can let Aegislash loose and go without an EQ. If I had a way to take aegislash otherwise, I'd make the switch with no hesitation.

I'm not even gonna rate this thing cause you already know its good but yo hear me out. This team is annoying af to face even for a stall breaking team. Not bad at all Aj
-Hobo

Hey Aj Pretty Neat Team, I dont really play stall, but i'll give you my 2cents anyway.

So as you would expect the first thing that struck me was EQ on Chesnaught. Now a few things. Aegis with flash cannon is a huge threat to chesnaught, your Gyara set seems to be able to wall most aegislashes, however I cant see a way of you really denting it if it carries lefties. Also since you carry wish support, is Synthesis really needed? I've used/seen Chesnaught used a few times and i've never used synthesis on it. I remember initially picking it up as a unique spiker, but since you want EQ, take it over synthesis since I think Spiky Shield is pretty useful and has its niche. I'm just speculating but I think that can work, and if being toxic stalled is your issue, I don't think you want to stay in anyway.

I would also say the same about protect on Sylveon, but if you find a use for Yawn, stick to it I guess. Skarm without WW/Counter doesn't seem to be able to do much to big threats that you wish it to wall, will the rest of your team handle them in that case, I guess you stated its mainly a hazard setter.

Also how does your team deal with mega mawile? Its free to setup on anyone, and I think playrough does a huge amount to quagsire if im not mistaken.

But yea nice team, pretty cool that you put a lot of thought into it, hope I wasnt too nitpicky =/

Also Trireme is a warship right .-.

Your team looks great. Especially the Porygon 2, a great Greninja counter as it can just Trace Protean and screw it over. Gyarados has respectable bulk and can always serve as Electric bait that you switch Chesnaught into. Chesnaughts are also fairly rare in OU metagame, so it can also serve as a point of unpredictability on your team.

Mixed goodra can do a lot of work to your team once your sylveon and porygon 2 are gone but that is if it has flamethrower and power whip. Other than that your team looks awesome and I hope this team can become as succesful as your other teams. :)

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Just wanted to add that Chestnaught's ability would nullify Shadow Ball so it could still counter with an EQ
Riiiiight. Bulletproof. The forgotten OP ability.
However, I'm going to agree with dallaren on the Spiky Shield>Synthesis move. Spiky Shield disincentivizes Pokemon from using Physical moves for fear of damage. This also protects Chesnaught from damage, giving it Lefties AND Leech Seed Recovery.

I'll look into Spiky Shield over Synthesis, but what I've noticed is Sylveon doesn't always get around to cleric work, as it can simply step in and start finishing off a team instead.

I could see it being helpful (Does it block toxic or is it the same as KS?) but Synthesis does get some work (generally 1 or 2 uses a game, so it's nothing amazing... Perhaps with a protect, I could nullify even that).

Someone mentioned to be on Showdown that Physically defensive Arcanine could take ZardX and Mawile (which, yes is an issue, but I do outspeed and that allows for Chesnaught to resist sucker punch and EQ it... Of course, Jolly mawile-mega would screw that up). However, arcanine would be missing out on rotom-wash a bit. Other than that, it may be an acceptable switch (He suggested special, but TBH to take on Ttar, a physical CC/Special Overheat(OrFireStab) combo probably has the most coverage. Stall doesn't care to go mixed because no investment into attacks anyways.

+1 on the porygon2 choice. Walling heatran (w/o toxic), jellicent, vaporeon, manectric, landorus-t (careful with knock off), jolteon, gyarados, etc. has always been amazing and super useful. Same goes for chesnaught and bulletproof. Both of their abilities allow them to wall random threats that a typing matchup would say otherwise. I'm not sure if you want dragon tail or roar on gyarados, as dragon now has an immunity, and non-stab non-invested dragon tail is rather weak and can be set up (substitute) on.

I'm a bit worried about mega venusaur, weirdly enough. Skarmory doesn't have leftovers, and it might be switching in as it is a rocker and a defogger. Especially ones with HP fire, gotta be careful on the switch:
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 138-164 (41.3 - 49.1%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Chesnaught is a bit better, but it's not doing much back to mega venusaur:
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 130-154 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- 95.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Like I'm not sure if it's because mega-venusaur is so good (it is S-rank the last time I checked which was a long time ago), but it seems like ones with HP fire can dent most of your team while only skarmory can do real damage (still not great, 40%) damage.

While you have around 3 checks for it, because of the lack of powerful moves against it I can see it being really annoying.

I don't like haze on quagsire, but I'm not sure how useful it is to you. I see some other move there being more applicable to general situations. Also, I like a more balanced spread for porygon2, but I guess it depends on what you like. SpD seems more useful, while defensive will let it beat dragons every time.

Venusaur was dropped to A+ due to a 'resurgence of mega pinsir' that never happened. However, Pory2 is oddly enough a decent check for non-leech seed versions, and with some patience, I can muscle past those (since they'll be running 2 attacks, as I've yet to see a M-venu without Synthesis). Fishing for a freeze isn't the best strategy, but it is a neutral hit that does a good bit of damage (20?) and can at least wear out M-venu before it can take away all my Recovers. P2's ev spread is largely due to the nature of the meta. If I found a threat I really needed to take special side, I would. Perhaps Charizard-Y in sun, I should get it to take less than 50% from Flame thrower, but I doubt I could lower it for fire blast.

Quagsire's haze on TFL was first to mess with Baton pass teams, second to allow Quagsire to take care of persistent threats if he had to get out/would eventually lose. I'm not sure I'd be keen to keep him if he didn't have that haze, as then Arcanine would probably become overall more useful. Also, I guess I could say it helps vs Moldbreaker mons, but that's pretty untrue... Quag can't take them at their first boosted stage to begin with.

Hey, I see you don't have a mega-evolution slot, so I was wondering if I could boost your team a bit by adding one, albeit blatantly. Mega-Gardevoir comes to mind over Sylveon, but I'm not sure if you really need to. It has a significantly lower HP, so I'm not sure how much of a cleric wish-support you need (again, being arbitrary here), but M-Gardevoir does have a significantly higher special attack and speed if you're leaning towards a more offensive role. It does learn hypnosis and heal bell, but if you really need wish, then don't change Sylveon. M-Gardevoir does get healing wish and psyshock, though, so consider it. Simply food for thought. I'm no expert, however, when it comes to clerics.

Once again, great team. I cannot think of any major changes right now, but I do have a minor nitpick. I think you should change Discharge to Thunderbolt on Porygon2. Paralysis isn't the most useful status condition for a stall team, especially when you also have Toxic, Scald, and Yawn on your team.

This team has a bit more speed than most, so paralysis isn't bad. Gyarados has base 81, Skarmory has 70, Chesnaught has base 67 and Pory2/Sylveon has base 60. Arcanine, if I use it over quagsire (I'm not sure what I think... lose a Bisharp counter for a decent utility check and a mawile stop, still have yet to see another one [seen one so far]), has a blazing 95 speed. A paralyzed Charizard-Y is apparently outsped by porygon2, and it allowed me to stall out sun every time with ease due to this. There are some uses, and to be honest, for 5 base power, forcing pressure on a heal bell user and getting some free turns is well worth the trade.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Glad to see another stall from you, this won't be a super formal rate because there's not a lot wrong with this team.

What I'm mainly seeing people doing in the upper ladder is a sort of rock-paper-scissors between Keldeo/Landorus-Tyranitar/Bisharp/Aegislash-Lati@s
These HO teams get rid of Lati@s with a pursuit user and then let keldeo and landorus get to work, because there's not much that can take them both.
Azumarill sorta stands out to me in that its the closest thing that can somewhat take them both, if not force them out, and then lure+ko the most common pursuit user Aegislash with knock off. This is the main solution I see out of this rock-paper-scissor.

Moving on to the team, I think that it sorta loses to CM Lando-i. If you can get some prior damage on gyarados, which isn't that hard due to no reliable recovery and a rocks weakness, you could muscle through him, psychic chesnaught, 2hko sylveon cleanly with earth power, focus blast p2, and mow through quagsire. Psychic +1 also 2hkos skarm, if lando-i opts for sludge wave>focus blast. So once gyarados is weakened (25-30% with rocks), and lando gets a boost, you have two options:
sack quagsire to get the haze off
Use sturdy whirlwind on skarm

Unfortunately, there's not a lot I can suggest that can make this team more solid, any "improvement" I try to make will just make your synergy worse. Just watch out for lando-i and keep gyarados healthy I guess :/

Three things I've noticed so far after messing around with this team:

- Mega Venu is a big problem, especially if it has Leech Seed. Skarm will struggle to fend it off while everything else can't really damage him. Your only hope is to stall him out of Synthesis PP, honestly, and that's a bummer.
- LO Gengar breaks you. This thing does unreal amount of damage to your team, even Gyarados is 3HKOd by Sludge Wave (assuming full health), and that is assuming they don't simply run Thunderbolt. Same goes for Pory, who can't really hit back too well, and you have to pretty much fish for paralysis to avoid taking tons of damage.
- you should consider Protect>Yawn on Sylveon. Compared to other clerics (especially stuff like Chansey), Sylveon's bulk is not that enormous, and it struggles to find a free turn to get healed by its own Wish without Protect.

I think that's all for now.

Unfortunately, I took multiple days off before starting to play again (more than a week) and so my rating went from 1600 to the upper 1490 area. That's my main alt, so I can't really tell you where I've gotten to, only what I've played against. I do know that Arcanine (the first replay) is generally 1600 at least, and I really don't know the other people's match ranking other than they're competent. As I mentioned, I wasn't terribly interested in battling (haven't been for a long while) so I did most of the theory work and then just started running tests to make sure nothing was inherently flawed.

Srn9130, the only one of those I truly worry about is Lati@s. I have the dedicated TTar/Bisharp counters in Quagsire and Chesnaught, Keldeo in Gyarados/Sylveon, Lando-T in skarm/Pory2 and Aegislash in Chesnaught. This team should more or less carve that team up with relative ease once latios falls.

As I've yet to see CM Landorus, I'm going to ignore it unless it coincides in covering another target. The issue is, I can't account for something seen so rarely and three attack Landorus, after being scouted, should have a weakness I can take care of. It will probably lack HP ice, meaning I still have to use Gyarados, but lacking SludgeBomb/FocusBlast means I solve it with Sylveon/Pory2 respectively. I just can't account for rarer sets when more real sets do still exist.

Manveru123 The commonness of a Gengar seems low, but Chesnaught handles anything short of sludge wave... If I recall, it does run sludge bomb given some reason with Dream World... I haven't a clue what the conflict was, but I recall one of his poison stabs becoming incredibly difficult to justify because of Dream World. Other than that, Pory2 is the best bet... If and (most likely when) I adjust his ev spread to take some special hits, I'll probably try to avoid a crucial KO from Focus blast if it's reasonable. Discharge gives you a chance and Gyara would finish from that, at the very least. As for protect/yawn... Yawn is nice for predicting incoming switches, and doesn't allow you to misplay and end up on your heals. I guess it has perks/drawbacks, but to be honest Yawn's disability will never leave your team swept because they set up on protect.

Again, Venu just takes patience. 16 leech seed max... I ran across an HP fire one recently, it was annoying to say the least (HPFire/SleepPowder/SludgeBomb/GigaDrain) but P2 handled it with relative ease even after Skarm got hit with HP fire (For 4-%).

Using muh bump. Instead of removing EQ for Spiky Shield on Chesnaught, I changed Synthesis. Sylveon is running Protect right now, just so the recovery is a little more consistent... It's been annoying praying that the enemy would expect protect and switch instead of scout for it. Also, Gengar can only really touch Chesnaught with one move (Sludge wave) as sludge bomb does nothing. Scouting it has been nice, so I at least have a safe switch to seed any non-sub gengars instead of throwing Gyara in.

Even though I tend to goof around a lot, I seriously hope that this helps in one way or another. I realize this is really late and for that I apologize u_u

The intent of this rate is to point out suggestions and tips that might help in future teams. I don't really have any suggestions for this team - dallaren covered most of what I would have changed for the first draft. Additionally, I don't think that there aren't any easy fixes that will solve the rest of your problems. There are a lot of threats in this meta that I'd say are still too powerful for ou.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this but I will admit that some the threats such as stallbreaker mew, stall breaker mega garde, and reuniclus are pretty uncommon.

Analysis:

Threats to Team:
Deoxys: Deo-d/s hyper offense looks problematic for your team. I'm not sure how you prevent these guys from getting multiple layers up - if you do have a way fill me in. Deoxys-s might be more manageable, but as far as I can tell they get multiple layers up without any consequences.

Note that if we assume that the opponent has a good deo-d/s ho team, they will either be able to prevent skarm from coming onto the field and defog away your hazards or will have a +2 defiant bisharp or thundurus to try to deal with. We shall assume the former since it is the worst possible scenario for you (though very unlikely). Our goal therefore is to prevent deo-s/d from getting multiple layers up.

How to prevent deo-s from getting up 2 layers: 1. kill it before it sets up spikes 2. prevent the move from working right. The former requires priority/damage from weather afaik and the latter requires a status move that impairs move selection (i.e trick, taunt, magic coat, encore) or the ability magic bounce. Since lead deoxys-s will sometimes carry taunt, we will need to outspeed it if we intend on using a status move. However nothing outspeeds deoxys-s except for opposing deoxys-s and 103+ base spe scarf users. So, if you plan on using taunt/trick (encore sucks here because it requires you to outslow deo-s which then leaves you susceptible to taunt) you'd have to be running something like scarf azelf or a prankster mon like sableye, both of which are fairly niche. Magic coat is a possibility, though you'd probably want to run something that can take repeated hits from deo-s. As for magic bounce users: you're limited to mega-absol, espeon, and xatu, none of which seem very good for stall (though a balanced mega absol team might be cool). The last option is trying to kill it without it killing you. This requires you to run something that can tank a psycho boost and has priority/is named tyranitar (though if running ttar, make sure you can take an lo superpower).

How to prevent deo-d from getting up hazards: Again, 1. kill it before it sets up spikes 2. prevent the move from working right. Some deo-d have been known to carry magic coat (though magic coat deo-d is not nearly as common on ho teams). Therefore, I'd be more hesitant on using a status move to impair deo-d, and would probably recommend on trying to take it out. The only problem with this is that beating deo-d is easier said than done - it's nearly impossible to ohko and red card forces you to switch out.

Mega Mawile: Yeah Mawile has free reign over this team. If you were to make a change, run counter over bb on skarm I suppose, but skarm only checks mawile if you win the prediction coin flip ((he fpunches, you taunt) -> you lose, (he fpunches, you counter) -> you win, (he subs, you taunt) -> you win {assuming you outspeed ofc}, (he subs, you counter) -> you lose).

The best answer to mawile is mega venu afaik, after that you start running into niche mons that aren't worth wasting time on.

Latios: Variants with tbolt and psyshock 2hko everything except sylveon after rocks. This would be helped by having another specially defensive wall.

There exist decent latios switchins and you know a number of them, so I'm not gonna go through this.

Zard-y + pursuit trapping: Gyara might be able to take a couple of hits, but it can't dish out anything significant back in the sun. Furthermore, gyara does not like taking damage from rocks, so you're forced to defog in order to keep gyara healthy, thereby giving zard-y the ability to switch in pretty freely for the most part.

There aren't many mons (other than toed) that can repeatedly switch in on hits from zard-y and are not pursuit bait. Chansey: band tar pursuit + 2 fire blasts from modest zard-y= 2*22.8+2*28.2=102.5 and a superpower from tyranitar on chansey is an ohko. You're forced to play the opponent, though him losing is usually much less costly overall than you losing. Latias: obviously gets trapped by tar. Hippowdon: gets 2hko'd after rocks by modest zard-y fire blast. Heatran: gets 2hko'd by focus blast.

Heracross-M: It 2hko's everything on the team if it has appropriate coverage, looks like a pain to deal with tbh.

Gardevoir-M Stallbreaker Set: It 2hko's everything on the team and, without recovery. I don't see how you can get past it without praying for a paralysis from p2's discharge.

This is a mon that looks scary as hell for stall teams especially with spikes up. You definitely need a specially bulky steel of some sort to deal with this threat (aegislash, heatran, ferrothorn, rachi)

Manaphy: I don't see how you can handle it - especially if it comes in on a double switch or a free switch in.

Another fairly scary mon for stall to face, I'm sure you know ways to beat it (sd unaware clefable, mega venu, toxic chansey, etc.) so I'm not going discuss this mon in length.
Stallbreaker Mew: This is another threat that I'm unsure how your team deals with. Nothing can cripple it, so mew can proceed to taunt and burn away your entire team.
Having something like zard-x/heatran/entei might be helpful here.

Reuniclus: Phazing it with gyara until the last mon and then trying to pp stall it out with quagsire looks like your best option.

How This Team Matches up Against Popular Teams Archetypes:

Volt-turn: The "volt" part looks annoying, though I think you somehow managed to play around av raikou in one of your replays.
Goodstuffs: You have an answer for most of the mons on good stuffs except latios.
Baton Pass: Looks annoying, especially if you're playing against someone who knows what they are doing,
Zard-y Offense: For reasons discussed earlier, a scary matchup for this team.
2x Bird Spam: Favorable matchup so long as skarm and quagsire are kept reasonably healthy
Mega Venu Stall: I'm not sure how this one pans out, if you have any experience here I'd be glad to hear it.

Closing Remarks:
The team is pretty good seeing as you decided to not use the stall powerhouses. You cover a lot of offensive threats pretty well.

I don't like strictly building around the meta since the meta changes and people don't pick from just the top 50 mons.

Look into having a core of 2 specially defensive mons, or at least run chansey as your special wall so that you aren't dunked on by boosting special grass type moves. I know they aren't common but since your using stall I'd strongly suggest trying to counter more than just the meta - you want to win every game, not just the games where your opponent uses standard shit.

Last edited:
Hi Tst/Rbj

Yeah, I know of a few of these issues, especially the lack of physical bulk. Generally, though, it isn't too difficult to solve just by superior typing (Quagsire can handle a bunch of Thundy-i's for example). Sure, if I run up against Lando/Thundy/Latios, I'm in a bit of a pickle but even from then I have Gyara/Quag/Sylveon respectively... And I can clutch the last two with Porygon2, as well. For this team, I just don't think I can find a way to add special bulk... Except EV spreads. Right now, this is a direct response to the meta because the meta's top HO teams are indeed running the most devastating strategies they can... The concept of DeoSharp hasn't changed this generation, even if individual pieces have changed and I think I can expect to have the majority of pieces covered.

For Deo-D/Deo-S, you're very right. Deo-S is sometimes not an issue but Deo-D had been given me hell if the player on the other side was adept. What I did, and I know you don't think it's necessarily a GOOD move, is change Porygon2's Toxic < Magic Coat. This is still a test, but so far, I've had success in the few games I've tested it with. The most evident was here, where even though it only worked once, the difference was profound:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-102938739

On the topic of Mawile, I did start to run Counter > Brave Bird. While I have to bluff the living fuck out of this right now (lacking taunt), bluffing is better than straight losing. And Mega Pinsir loses here, but more importantly I have fall back checks in case Pinsir-m somehow catches on. With that, I felt the risk was acceptable.

Now here's where my issues come: That whole issue with move slots become very noticeable as I can't carry taunt. Now, there IS a solution besides just bluffing it, and I want some opinons on this. Recently, Yuttt has been running Mantine as his defogger. Now, most people don't exactly thing mantine is OU viable, but it is a Spdef skarm without roost. The comparison:

Vs Zard-Y
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine in Sun: 89-105 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- 30.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 110-130 (27.9 - 32.9%) -- 86.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Mantine Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 62-74 (20.8 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
0 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 128-152 (42.9 - 51%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

Vs Landorus-I
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 87-103 (26 - 30.8%) -- 4.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 110-130 (27.9 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

4 SpA Mantine Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 174-206 (54.3 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 228-270 (71.2 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you can see, the difference is on the offensive side but for the relevant two, it doesn't show up vs Lando, only Charizard-Y. To be noted, Water Veil is pretty useful (prevents burns) as is Water Absorb... while more situational, is health recovery. I think the set would look like:

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Defog
- Haze / Sleep Talk

So advice on that would be cool as well. The intent here is primarily another defog to free up room for Skarmory to taunt. I lose a phaze user but gain something that can destroy baton pass chains a bit better if I opt haze over sleep talk. Sounds risky, though. (Maybe give me an extra turn? Second chance, too).

With Latios, you're underestimating Porygon2, but otherwise I agree (P2 takes the Draco Meteor and just recovers off). However, between countering with Sylveon (for the most part) and checking with Porygon2, along with Latios's general intent being Defog, it isn't a terribly difficult situation. I've run into a few Tbolt latios and they simply weren't as effective as surf ones, having less coverage and such (Plus, Gyara doesn't play with Latios).

With Mega Heracross, the general plan is to fodder something and use Skarmory/Sylveon. If it stays neutral, it is only 2hko'ing Sylveon and dealing max 66%, to which I bomb burst back about 70-85% damage. Some prior damage would do, I think. Lack of usage makes me unenthusiastic about going too far out of my way to cover anything else as Skarm/Sylveon are about the best stall does vs it to begin with afaik.

Mega Gard is gonna crush me regardless, I think... Short of adding Heatran or a steel type somewhere, I just am going to end up praying a bit. As you said, my best bet is a para, but I can also just try and check it and just start stabbing the whole team at it if I can. It's not unwillingness here, M-Gard is more common than M-hera. There simply isn't a good switch I can think of right now.

Manaphy is currently at the status of "Wins if Rain Dance CM". However, Interesting niche of Manaphy would be solving that, Hazing the damn thing and basically sitting in as long as needed. Wouldn't need to kill the RD set, but TG would hopefully eventually get burned and could only spam energy ball.

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 116-137 (34.7 - 41%) -- 67.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

So not comfortable at all. However, just infinitely spam haze and eliminate TG if needed? Maybe first for a scald burn?

252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 47-56 (14 - 16.7%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

As of right now, I basically rely on Pory2/Sylveon to do something before it gets too high up tail glowing. And I think I get at least one haze on Quag, although that only delays the inevitable.

Stallbreaker mew would, as of right now, be shut down by P2 as it attempted to shut me down. Even to max Spdef mew, Sylveon can dish 20-30% damage, which while not excellent, beats most of what else I have.

Zard-X is actually hard countered by Quagsire... one of the few reasons I use him over Clefable (Which would solve manaphy). Kind of same thing with Entei... I play that more by ear, but I do generally use quag/Gyara (if I think it's locked/missing stone edge). Heatran, I just sit porygon2 in and laugh as it can't get by. Magic Bounce would also improve this vs toxic/torment/taunt trans, whatever it may be running.

Anyways, Gyarados always handled Heatran well enough before.

Re: Charizard-Y teams: Yeah, they're close, but I think for the current team set (Outlined in "Force of Nature" RMT) this team does pretty well avoiding the pursuit weakness to take on Zard-Y... Pressuring Zard with Rocks can definitely help, too, so I would claim an advantage in most of the teams. Plus, I know the teams well enough to call them. The Pursuit trapper solved by Aegi, Quagsire goes after Thundy, Sylveon takes the defogger, Gyara on Zard itself, Skarm generally beats the rock setter and P2 assists.

M-venu stall... Well, seeing as I like to claim experience advantage in 90% of stall v stall matches, I generally just outplay the opponent :] If it really is to be noted, I have to stall out leech seed before I start going after venu with Skarm/P2, but he's a sitting duck if I can constantly force that residual. Might be worth finding a knock off user, but as of right now, Taunt skarm might work just to iron out the last issues.

Lastly, on the "other" lesser seen meta. Yeah, I miss out on some smaller wallbreakers, but other than that, things like Diggersby, Crawdaunt and Hydregion all get naturally covered, even though I didn't plan for them. I looked at the meta like it was a table uploaded with this post.

Thanks for the rate, though. Confirmed a lot of suspicions.

As always, all help/advice appreciated. I'd like to look specifically over the options suggested above and their personal merit. The degree of which to use Mantine (Just use counter Skarm, go all out), movesets and EV spreads are all appreciated. Magic Coat on P2 is going to stick as it only really loses Mamoswine stalling, and I can bounce back those SRs. It gives too much. Lastly, Sylveon is now Calm over Bold. This actually gives me a little more special bulk and optimizes it's bulk (Squeezing four extra EVs out). A little bit better special hit taking (about 3% per 30% damage) is always appreciated.

Lastly,

Attachments

Just wanted to drop in and say that you should run this mantine set:

MANtine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Defog
- Haze / Toxic

EVs maximize overall bulk, allowing it to beat keldeo as well.

Toxic VS Haze is really preference, haze is cool though, I should try that out. Forces you to fish for a burn to beat manaphy and keldeo then, but you can't deal with manaphy anyways on this team, so haze is the way to go for you.

(BTW, I'm using mantine+skarmory, and nothing can keep up rocks against you)

I suppose water veil could be cool for free defogs on heatran, but w/e

Now, if you wanna be awesome, run Mega Gardevoir over Sylveon

Mega Gard doesn't have the bulk to take on Kyurem, though. Yeah, it causes a bomb blast of doom but is kind of weak otherwise.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-103454638

That's an idea of how this team functions in stall :/ Only goes 300 from what I've heard but that turned to be a 488 turn game before Zarel rest the server and took over 2 hours to play. Multiple issues with playing a game when you're tired, and I let a few misplays get Chansey back to full when I targeted it... I wasn't terrifically happy with how long that game went, and I do miss Gyara's physical bulk on occasion.

I mean, the water immunity is kind of nice, the scald immunity is brilliant, but Gyara added a bit of power. I still believe that I have a chance vs any stall team since I'm pretty decent at targeting (as can be seen by the fact I was able to get Chansey low 2-3 times, just a miss play got me... I'm going to have to sit on making a permanent change until BP is tested/solved, as I can't provide the same kind of power and still don't function fantastically vs Baton pass. However, vs Mawile this change is unreal helpful.

Physical defensive can't happen, though. Not with trying to take on Charizard-Y... In fact, I'm still not sure I can win vs Charizard-Y not having sleep talk.

Edit: There are two other options outside of Mantine/Gyarados. One is Garchomp, who takes on Charizard well enough and has stealth rocks, and the other is Dnite who has roost/defog. They each have their own advantages/disadvantages... Not sure either get Lando-I as well, but I'm sure we can customize Dnite to survive one HP ice... Possibly.

Last edited:
Are you still considering replacing Quagsire with Arcanine? If not then don't bother with the rest of this post.

I'm not sure how important Intimidate on it is to you (I assume you aren't using Flash Fire) but you already have one user of Intimidate and with the amount of Bisharp running around, I'm not too sure its a good idea when there is a viable alternative. My suggestion is Entei. With the addition of Sacred Fire to its arsenal, it cockslaps quite a lot of pokemon like Aegislash and Mega-Mawile that sound threatening to the team, with Toxic or Roar it can also check pokemon like Mega-Charizard X handily. Here's the set:

Entei @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure (Flash Fire if released)
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Sacred Fire
- Roar / Toxic

With this set, Talonflame fails to 2HKO Entei with Choice Band Brave Bird unless it has Stealth Rock support, to give an idea of its bulk on the physical bulk. As an example of its uninvested special bulk, standard 4 SpA Heatran only has ~30% chance of 2HKOing with Earth Power and standard 4 SpA Rotom-W needs Stealth Rock to have a chance of OHKOing with Hydro Pump. With Stealth Rock support, Entei can get good use out of Roar. Sacred Fire limits what can and can't switch into Entei comfortably, racking up Stealth Rock damage on its few checks and counters is a godsend. Toxic is a lesser option because it does fuck all to Heatran but it can be used well by Entei as no other steel type is going to switch into Entei. I use cleric Sylveon alongside this (which you also happen to be packing) and it works a treat. Try it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)