Other Stall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello you wonderful people

It seems this thread has kinda died, like a lot of recent stall teams under the pressure of Landorus-i. However, with the suspect going on, Stall is really able to gain some breathing room from that obnoxious p.o.s. and maybe even succeed. I've gotten a few questions if I've been working on any weird or different stall projects and the simple answer is no. However, a project Orda and I worked on in Jan/Feb is actually currently being remodeled. We had been using a Malt stall we felt was incredibly strong, but had to sacrifice a lot to gain a Lando/Gard counter. In fact, it was getting murdered by stall breaker mew due to it.

Now, with being able to remove Cress (I'm guessing that's going to happen a lot on the suspect ladder) and add Bronzong/AV Slowking for Gard, the team has become much more dynamic. The importable:

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Flash Cannon

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Mirror Coat
- Scald

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Bronzong (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Sassy Nature
- Future Sight
- Rest
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

The slowking set is from the analysis. I think Alexwolf was the one who came up with the set (it's the AV 96Spdef Modest set) but also uses future sight. It is a bit water-centric and Orda and I think triple water is obviously too much. However, water is a great defensive type and with Chesnaught/Malt walling Grass, Rhyp/Ches/Malt walling electric, it's nearly worth the risk.

Zong doesn't really answer SB Mew as much as Slowking would be able to with Shadow Ball. Gard Counter+Mew counter is a really hard combination and I was thinking this up in a few minutes before a tour. However, Mew seems to have fallen off to the point that I can kinda overlook it until I find a better option.

The reason behind future sight is with a fighting and fairy type, the more times I can screw with pursuit trappers the better. And if you clear the dark type by any means, Alomomola's Mirror Coat goes to work, even if they know it exists. A ttar in general wants nothing to do with switching into an Alomomola. Nor does a Bisharp. However, the primary KO from Alom is on a Rotom-w volt switch. If I force you not to go into a grass type/water type but instead force you to consider a dark/rock or just burnable bisharp, you might reconsider actually pivoting that way with VS. On first cast, I've murdered so many grass types.

But Future Sight in general is good pressure. If it's an attack move on your part, you basically double the damage (in slowking's case, probably triple). On a switch, it's sustained damage. It makes the opponent far more predictable on those turns, too. Overall, I love future sight on stall.

The Chesnaught spread is the "Better not get 6-0'd by BD azum" spread. Outspeed and OHKO is the only name of the game. It's a kind of lure in and of itself for Rotom-w and Azum after BD, but I've almost exclusively used this chesnaught set.

Double SR is simply because Rhy doesn't set in many situations and Empoleon doesn't, either. They mesh well, though, so I've nearly always got SR up. One can SR v Latios and Starmie, the other vs most of the setters and Excadrill.

Lastly MAlt with FireBlast/Flame Thrower is a big FU to Ferrothorns and Seperiors. While this team really didn't foresee the serpeiror meta, it has good answers in Malt and Zong on this team. One of the huge reasons I don't know about Slowking being a simple replace for Bronzong.

IDK, I've tried some other odd cores (Claydol@ColburBerry (for lando-i/spinning)+ZardX+Inflitrator Spiritomb) but I'm still relearning the meta.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Hello you wonderful people

It seems this thread has kinda died, like a lot of recent stall teams under the pressure of Landorus-i. However, with the suspect going on, Stall is really able to gain some breathing room from that obnoxious p.o.s. and maybe even succeed. I've gotten a few questions if I've been working on any weird or different stall projects and the simple answer is no. However, a project Orda and I worked on in Jan/Feb is actually currently being remodeled. We had been using a Malt stall we felt was incredibly strong, but had to sacrifice a lot to gain a Lando/Gard counter. In fact, it was getting murdered by stall breaker mew due to it.

Now, with being able to remove Cress (I'm guessing that's going to happen a lot on the suspect ladder) and add Bronzong/AV Slowking for Gard, the team has become much more dynamic. The importable:

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Flash Cannon

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Mirror Coat
- Scald

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Bronzong (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Sassy Nature
- Future Sight
- Rest
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

The slowking set is from the analysis. I think Alexwolf was the one who came up with the set (it's the AV 96Spdef Modest set) but also uses future sight. It is a bit water-centric and Orda and I think triple water is obviously too much. However, water is a great defensive type and with Chesnaught/Malt walling Grass, Rhyp/Ches/Malt walling electric, it's nearly worth the risk.

Zong doesn't really answer SB Mew as much as Slowking would be able to with Shadow Ball. Gard Counter+Mew counter is a really hard combination and I was thinking this up in a few minutes before a tour. However, Mew seems to have fallen off to the point that I can kinda overlook it until I find a better option.

The reason behind future sight is with a fighting and fairy type, the more times I can screw with pursuit trappers the better. And if you clear the dark type by any means, Alomomola's Mirror Coat goes to work, even if they know it exists. A ttar in general wants nothing to do with switching into an Alomomola. Nor does a Bisharp. However, the primary KO from Alom is on a Rotom-w volt switch. If I force you not to go into a grass type/water type but instead force you to consider a dark/rock or just burnable bisharp, you might reconsider actually pivoting that way with VS. On first cast, I've murdered so many grass types.

But Future Sight in general is good pressure. If it's an attack move on your part, you basically double the damage (in slowking's case, probably triple). On a switch, it's sustained damage. It makes the opponent far more predictable on those turns, too. Overall, I love future sight on stall.

The Chesnaught spread is the "Better not get 6-0'd by BD azum" spread. Outspeed and OHKO is the only name of the game. It's a kind of lure in and of itself for Rotom-w and Azum after BD, but I've almost exclusively used this chesnaught set.

Double SR is simply because Rhy doesn't set in many situations and Empoleon doesn't, either. They mesh well, though, so I've nearly always got SR up. One can SR v Latios and Starmie, the other vs most of the setters and Excadrill.

Lastly MAlt with FireBlast/Flame Thrower is a big FU to Ferrothorns and Seperiors. While this team really didn't foresee the serpeiror meta, it has good answers in Malt and Zong on this team. One of the huge reasons I don't know about Slowking being a simple replace for Bronzong.

IDK, I've tried some other odd cores (Claydol@ColburBerry (for lando-i/spinning)+ZardX+Inflitrator Spiritomb) but I'm still relearning the meta.
ill elaborate later on why I think alo is shit in the meta and that you should probably invest in regenerator cores that maintain more offensive presence. My malt stall team runs the classic 3 mon regen core of tornt, slowbro, amoong and i think stall teams benefit much mor if team has a form of self recovery rather than solely relying on the recovery of wish which i think is quite easy to take advantage of. Long story short passive stall creates poorer results in this meta, landorus or not. proactive stall that can maintain some sort of offensive initiative at a moments notice i think is better.

AM

Yeah we were a bit worried about the lack of regen early in the creation of this team. However, for every test I've ever had with it, Alom's wish passing synergy and simple centerpiece to this team seems to allow any passive regen issues to disappear.

For example, rhyperior. Obviously no recovery here. However, I've always believed that Rhyperior is superior to the counterpart Hippowdon (was counterpart in ZardX meta on 'countering' zardx) if you could keep it supported. This team would be rough to pass between (with the common grass weakness) but it's never reared it's head. Part of that is because the pokemon I chose trade off recovery for sheer bulk (Rhy > Hippo bulk, Emp is one of the bulkiest waters with typings included, Zong has insane bulk compared to psychics and even many steels) so they just have a rough time being worn down by attacks. The other reason is the team isn't that passive. Yeah, I'm not sure I like Bronzong. However Rhyperior, Chesnaught, Malt are certainly not passive walls. The concept of destroying them before they destroy you is definitely relevant to this team as every member has at least two attacking moves.

I think I'd like to invest into a comp like Rhy/Ches/Malt/Slowking/Chansey|WishPasser/HazardClear but I haven't the time to look at it quite yet.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
AM

Yeah we were a bit worried about the lack of regen early in the creation of this team. However, for every test I've ever had with it, Alom's wish passing synergy and simple centerpiece to this team seems to allow any passive regen issues to disappear.

For example, rhyperior. Obviously no recovery here. However, I've always believed that Rhyperior is superior to the counterpart Hippowdon (was counterpart in ZardX meta on 'countering' zardx) if you could keep it supported. This team would be rough to pass between (with the common grass weakness) but it's never reared it's head. Part of that is because the pokemon I chose trade off recovery for sheer bulk (Rhy > Hippo bulk, Emp is one of the bulkiest waters with typings included, Zong has insane bulk compared to psychics and even many steels) so they just have a rough time being worn down by attacks. The other reason is the team isn't that passive. Yeah, I'm not sure I like Bronzong. However Rhyperior, Chesnaught, Malt are certainly not passive walls. The concept of destroying them before they destroy you is definitely relevant to this team as every member has at least two attacking moves.

I think I'd like to invest into a comp like Rhy/Ches/Malt/Slowking/Chansey|WishPasser/HazardClear but I haven't the time to look at it quite yet.
I'd be more worried about set up mons like mscizor and mmeta at the moment. Mmeta isnt too bad with slowking in there but for the most part theres almost little effecient counterplay to mscizor. After an SD its safe to assume you're gonna be in danger of getting swept. I think skarmory is one if the most useful componenegs of stall right now for hazard removal at this moment. It provides a variety of role compression either through hazard removal or just spikes/ phasing. Also the point about offensive presence comes back to not getting completely 6-0 by manaphy right now. This is why I dont like wishpassers other than clefable in this meta. They just lead way to so many things going wrong to me where clefable at least maintains some sort of versatility so it can at least counteract certain mets trends like pup lopunny.

Honestly, of the 5 or so games I played last night, a VenuTran+SkarmChans+2 fillers is much more viable now that Lando is gone. Where you used to need to dedicate a slot to Lando, you now have a second free thing to cover the other wall/stall breakers.

I know it isn't the most effective or original stall build for the meta, but it definitely got better in the suspect test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)