Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
Venusaur was the original basis of the team, becoming a favorite if mine during 1v1. As a player with a naturally defensive style, I was impressed with its sheer resiliency. I maximized it's defense to augment its ability to take raw, unboosted physical hits. It also helps minimize damage from opposing Psyshocks, although it's still painful. The defensive investment also allows it to brave attacks from unboosted Bisharp and demolish Azumarill, both of which could easily dismantle the rest of my team. Leech Seed, Synthesis, and Giga Drain in combination are essential to Venusaur's longevity, and Sludge Bomb is used to take down opposing grass-types and vulnerable fairies; the poison chance is handy in tandem with leech seed to wear down bulkier foes.

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
Mandibuzz, originally chosen for its ability to remove hazards, has become the second dedicated physical wall, punishing its attackers with Rocky Helmet and Foul Play. Roost and Overcoat, combined with its impressive base defenses, create a resilient wall. Its typing, while not great, does provide useful resistances to ghost and dark (harder to come by these days) and immunity to psychic and ground. Knock Off was chosen for utility, although it seldom sees use, and Mandibuzz sometimes feels unable to do anything productive while walling a former threat.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power Ancient Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
Heatran holds key resistances needed for my team, especially the ability to force a switch on Talonflame, to which Heatran can set up rocks on a free turn. I opted on specially defensive investment over physical to keep psychic- and fairy-types out of the field and away from the rest of my team. Lava Plume is a great asset for any defensive/balanced set, boasting 100% accuracy, relatively high base power, and a 30% burn chance to compensate for the lack of defensive investment. Earth Power provides much-needed coverage to deal with other fire types, and Roar is used in tandem with Stealth Rock to rack up damage, and put the brakes on the opponent's momentum.

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Power Gem
- Scald
- Future Sight
Slowking is the premier special tank of the team, providing stellar special defense and outstanding type coverage. It is a common switch-in due to its key resistances to the usually-special water, fire, psychic, and ice types. It's offensive presence is useful for forcing switches or annihilating the unsuspecting foe (such as Ferrothorn). Future Sight can be very useful in keeping the opponent under constant pressure, and allowing me to easily predict what the opponent will have out by the time it hits. Slowking functions as a superb special tank, taking nearly any neutral, special hit casually, while not allowing itself to be setup fodder thanks to its offensive coverage.

Togekiss @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
Togekiss is the second special wall, being able to take most special hits with its raw 130 base SpD. This moveset is geared towards team support rather than a wall or tank however, especially in Heal Bell and Thunder Wave. While Thunder Wave seems to clash with Venusaur's, Heatran's, and Slowking's respective status-inducing attacks, it is vital for slowing down the faster threats that the others wouldn't waste time poisoning/burning. I use Chesto berry primarily because this is an in-game Wi-Fi ORAS team, and I need the turn to paralyze opposing Darkrai or other sleep inducers. Leftovers don't need to be used as much due to the presence of Roost.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Landorus-Therian is a vital member of this team, providing momentum thanks to U-turn and Intimidate. Choice scarf is necessary to bypass a painfully average 92 base speed, allowing it to become a fearsome revenge killer boasting a whopping 140 base attack. Landorus is blessed with the infamous EdgeQuake combo, making it useful for late-game cleanup. Knock Off is for attacking super-effectively and disposing of the foe's items, although it doesn't see as much use as it should.

This team is designed to wear down opponents, and appreciates heavy switching to minimize damage from opposing threats. While this team's synergy is good, it's not great. I primarily have trouble with Gardevoir-Mega, Talonflame, and Bisharp, all three of which are difficult to stop after they aquire momentum. Gardevoir's only check is Heatran, which can't do much but force a switch or eat a Focus Blast once on the field. Talonflame is checked nicely by Heatran, and partially by Mandibuzz, leaving my team as good as gone if Heatran is KOed early. Bisharp is a serious threat, being checked only by the raw defenses of Venusaur and Mandibuzz. The most fatal aspect of Bisharp is that it resists both of the aforementioned checks' movesets and can't be revenge-killed by Landorus due to a Defiant and Sucker Punch combo. Togekiss, Slowking, and Heatran would ordinarily be able to make short work of Bisharp... except that the former two are easily OHKOed.

Thanks for reading my RMT, it's the first one I've made in a while. I haven't played Showdown's OU in quite a while, so any and all criticism is welcomed.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Knock Off

Heatran @ Leftovers
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Slowking @ Assault Vest
- Fire Blast
- Power Gem
- Scald
- Future Sight

Togekiss @ Chesto Berry
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave

- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Last edited:
I consider myself a Mega Venusaur Connoisseur :-P

I'd suggest using 252hp/240def/16spe as it lets you out speed and giga drain adamant azumarill, avoiding unnecessary damage and healing up.

he can put some work in hitting 4/6 of your pokemon for SE damage if he has knock off

Last edited:
Isn't Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb better on Mega Venusaur? I can understand the poison chance but Toxic is a better poisoning move, because regular poison is kinda useless.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually have more major changes to the team? I'm looking for more "Ancient Power > Earth Power" than "Sludge Wave > Sludge Bomb" suggestions. Also, everything mentioned thusfar has only been a minor tweak, such as small EV mods or small moveset changes (although some of those have been helpful, and I thank you).

In short, I would appreciate more robust ratings, such as saying "Ferrothorn > Togekiss" and then explaining, comparing, and suggesting effective movesets.

Does anyone actually have more major changes to the team? I'm looking for more "Ancient Power > Earth Power" than "Sludge Wave > Sludge Bomb" suggestions. Also, everything mentioned thusfar has only been a minor tweak, such as small EV mods or small moveset changes (although some of those have been helpful, and I thank you).

In short, I would appreciate more robust ratings, such as saying "Ferrothorn > Togekiss" and then explaining, comparing, and suggesting effective movesets.
To be honest, this is a very solid team. I can't imagine any major changes, as a lot of these Pokemon work very well together. Recently I've been using Venusaur/Heatran/Slowbro/Clefable/Giscor on a team which is very very similiar to yours.

*BUMP*
I'm bumping this because I've rethought my team a little. Instead of my original team, I think it would be beneficial to include a standard Ferrothorn, instead of one of my defensive birds (Mandibuzz and Togekiss). Ferrothorn's EV spread could be adjusted as needed depending on which bird it replaces. The main issue here is: Togekiss vs Mandibuzz.

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
Ferrothorn is being chosen because of its unique type advantage and amazing defensive stats. Despite already having both a steel type and a grass type on the team, very few weaknesses overlap with Ferrothorn's, improving its synergy. As this set is the standard Smogon Ferro set, there's not much I need to explain. Spikes is very useful for keeping the pressure up on the opponent, while forcing them to think more carefully about their switches. Leech Seed is a must have for Ferrothorn sets, providing recovery and versatility. Protect works well with leech seed to increase healing, and to scout the opponent's next move. Gyro Ball, of course, eliminates with fairies and faster threats.

AND

(Note: Since the following sets are explained above, I will only explain why they're up for consideration)

Togekiss @ Chesto Berry
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
Pros:
• Heal Bell support
• handles faster threats
• excellent defensive typing
Cons:
• Heal Bell is used less frequently
• Weak to physical attacks
• The reason for a weakness to Bisharp and Talonflame

OR

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
Pros:
• Defog support
• eliminates stronger threats
• Overcoat provides more immunity to status and residual damage
Cons:
• Defog conflicts with my hazard support
• poor defensive typing
• overlaps with Ferrothorn

The rest of my team:
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Heatran @ Leftovers
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Slowking @ Assault Vest
- Fire Blast
- Power Gem
- Scald
- Future Sight

- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I prefer to use Rocky Helmet or Leftovers on Ferrothorn. Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs really helps get that last bit of damage on things, and Leftovers + Leech Seed keeps you alive. It's really a preference whether you like offense or defense. Okay, say you remove Lum Berry from Ferrothorn, then I would say replace Mandibuzz because Togekiss has Heal Bell and Thunder Waves sneaky scarfs. Honestly, if you're looking for a spot that Ferrothorn can be in, replace Mandibuzz. It wouldn't work very well as a defensive core, and Defog rids Spikes from Ferrothorn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)