XY RU Stallin' in 'Murrica

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Hello and welcome to my first RMT! This is almost a stall team with an exception or two... now, on to the team! This team consists of Drapion, Cofagrigus, Banette, Lickilicky, Hitmontop, and Braviary. The goal of this team is to counter common Pokemon in the tier, with Hitmonlee and Yanmega definitely kept in mind.

The Team at a Glance:

Team Building Process:

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
My primary goal was to find a Pokemon that could counter Tinted Lens Yanmega, which is arguably one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. I was inclined to pick Registeel, which is 3HKOd at most by Bug Buzz. Thunder Wave was mandatory to cripple Yanmega and other common switch-ins such as Hitmonlee and Delphox. Rock Slide was chosen just to hit Yanmega for x4 super effective damage, and while it can't OHKO, it can severely weaken it so a teammate can finish it off. Stealth Rock is a given while Seismic Toss hits for solid damage.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split​

With a counter to Yanmega done, I needed a counter to Hitmonlee. After considering a variety of options, I chose Cofagrigus. My main reasoning for this is while Doublade is often chosen to spinblock, I wanted a Pokemon that can stop sweeps with Haze and spread burns with Will-O-Wisp. Shadow Ball was picked for STAB so it can have a little offensive presence. Cofagrigus then needed some form of recovery. Sadly, the best it can opt for is Pain Split. Cofagrigus is a good counter to Hitmonlee as it is 3HKOd by Life Orb Adamant Hitmonlee's Knock Off. It also proves to be a good check to other physical attackers as well, potentially being 4HKOd by Virizion and Cobalion with a Life Orb and 3HKOd by Rhyperior's Earthquake. It's also an amazing spinblocker, being able to easily block spins from nearly every spinner in the tier.

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Taunt
- Knock Off
I debated on this next Pokemon because I wasn't sure if my team needed the support, but I added Drapion to my team as a Toxic Spikes setter and phazer. I lead with Drapion and immediately begin setting up Toxic Spikes. I know Toxic Spikes interferes with Will-O-Wisp from Cofagrigus, but it's basically for Pokemon immune to Toxic Spikes. If the opposing Pokemon begins setting up, I use Whirlwind to prevent them from continuing. Whirlwind is also useful after both layers of Toxic Spikes have been set and I want to shuffle the team around, spreading Toxic status to the opposing Pokemon. I also threw Taunt in there to prevent Pokemon such as Registeel and Omastar from setting up hazards. I gave Drapion just enough Speed to outspeed maximum Speed Omastar so it can be taunted before it sets up, then the rest is put into HP and Special Defense to give it mixed bulk. I chose Drapion over other hazard setters because it's a decent Knock Off sponge and check to most opposing hazard setters. I gave Drapion Knock Off because it gets STAB and it's Knock Off. Who can say no to Knock Off?

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Avalanche
- Roar
When I chose this Pokemon, I knew I would get a lot of hate for it, but here it goes. I wanted a rapid spinner that has a ton of bulk on at least one side of the spectrum and has reliable recovery. I immediately chose Avalugg. I know, it is vulnerable to all forms of hazards and has a Stealth Rock weakness, but its physical bulk was too good to pass up. It can't Rapid Spin on too many Pokemon, but it has Sturdy to get an almost guaranteed spin. It also has reliable recovery and, since I didn't have a Wish user, that was important. Avalanche was chosen because it gets STAB and prevents it from becoming set up fodder. Roar is used for phazing and is useful for stopping a sweep in an emergency thanks to Sturdy.

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
After looking through my team, I realized Hitmontop could get a spin off with Foresight and I really need to keep hazards up, so I opted for Mega Banette. It's excellent at stopping sweeps if Avalugg can't thanks to priority Destiny Bond. It also can't be taunted by most Pokemon thanks to its own priority Taunt. Knock Off is useful if I know the opposing Pokemon will switch out while Sucker Punch enables Mega Banette to revenge kill something without sacrificing itself.

Braviary (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- Shadow Claw
'Murrican burd. Braviary is my best way to get around Defog, as if the Pokemon I have out doesn't have Taunt, there is no way to stop the opposing Pokemon from getting off a Defog. Adamant Choice Banded Braviary at +2 really hurts, having a chance to OHKO Gligar and 2HKO Doublade with Brave Bird. Brave Bird and Return are STABs. Superpower hits most Steel-types super effectively while Shadow Claw is useful without a Defiant boost to lure in Doublade. It works well because it can destroy opposing stall singlehandedly given the opportunity. It can also outspeed the wallbreakers that threaten the team and OHKO them.

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
After testing this team out, I noticed that it's destroyed by Moltres and Delphox, two very potent threats in the tier. After looking through my options, I decided to use Lickilicky over Registeel. Lickilicky can still wall Yanmega while also walling Delphox and Moltres. Lickilicky can also provide cleric support with Wish and Heal Bell, so I knew it was a good trade off. Seismic Toss is just to get a set amount of damage off on opposing Pokemon. It is a great teammate as it isn't affected by Taunt, which is normally a problem for stall.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
With Wish support now provided by Lickilicky, Avalugg is no longer needed on the team. I replaced Avalugg with Hitmontop as it can't be spinblocked thanks to Foresight and it has good physical bulk after Intimidate. Stone Edge hits the most common switch-ins to Hitmonlee, including Yanmega, Moltres, and Delphox. Sucker Punch finishes off weakened Pokemon, especially Delphox and Moltres, as both can live a Stone Edge and retaliate otherwise.

Exploud is easily the most threatening Pokemon to this team. With Choice Specs, it can easily 2HKO and OHKO every Pokemon on the team. I usually have to let a Pokemon faint, then bring in Braviary to revenge kill it, but after Braviary is taken out, it has no problem bursting through the rest of the team. Exploud also has to watch out for Mega Banette, which can get rid of it for sure with priority Destiny Bond.

Clawitzer is one of the few special attackers that can break through Lickilicky with its "STAB" Aura Sphere, and it can 2HKO or OHKO every Pokemon in the team aside from Drapion, which can potantially take two Water Pulses, but due to it lacking reliable recovery, it's easy to wear down and take down alongside every other Pokemon in the team. Braviary can outspeed and OHKO Clawitzer with Brave Bird, and Mega Banette can prevent it from doing anything else with priority Destiny Bond.

Whimsicott is surprisingly threatening to the team, as it can priority Taunt and Encore everything, including Banette, and if Braviary comes in, it can Leech Seed on the switch and spam Substitute. It can wear down Braviary very quickly and eventually take it down. After Braviary is taken down, nothing else on the team can really handle Whimsicott, so I usually let one of my walls get taken down before switching into Braviary. It can then force out Whimsicott, but if it gets another free switch in, I have to go through the same process.

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Braviary (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- Shadow Claw

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice team dude. I was skeptical about why Registeel wasn't on the final when I glanced through it, but after reading in more detail I really see why. I suck at stall, so I won't try it out, but I can see its a good team.

I guess Registeel would help with the Exploud problem... maybe defensive Doublade could work, but I'm not sure where you'd fit it into the team and it would start getting very steel-type-heavy with it.

e: I mean ghost type heavy. Man, I'm so dumb XD

Last edited:
Hi, This team looks great. Infact, i really don't see much need for a rate, but ill give you some suggestions that could be helpfull.

Amoonguss > Drapion
This Might be more problematic than its worth, but Specially Defensive Amoonguss can deal with both Whimsicott and Clawitizer without a worry. It also has accse to Toxic, so you can still cripple things just like Drapion would but without the worry of your hazards being swept away.

But, My Toxic Spikes?

Give Cofagrigus Toxic Spikes > Pain Split
Licki gives it wish support so pain split isn't really necessary. Its bulk also helps it get 2 layers of toxic spikes while walling stuff like hitmonlee.

Sorry this was short, i dont play RU Much. ^_^
Hope i helped, Good Day to you sir~

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
first of all, you should run 56 speed evs on drapion. this allows it to outspeed max speed exploud and knock off the specs from exploud so you have a chance at not being 2hko'd by it and allowing lickilicky to be a great counter to it later on in the game.

if you're using toxic spikes you dont need the second spinblocker in mega bannete. although it's an amazing pokemon, its addition leaves you vulnerable to a lot of special attacking threats. Gastrodon would be a great addition to your team as it absolutely walls clawitzer and its a solid pokemon for taking pressure off lickilicky. it doesnt need wish support as it has recover and its another pokemon with status if you choose to go that route. scald/ice beam / reccover /earth power / toxic are all viable moves on it.

Additionally, I would replace superpower on braviary for u-turn. you have hitmontop and now gastrodon for steel types and even if you get a kill off superpower your opponent can easily steel [haha steal, cause your using it for steeels y/n?] a game by setting up on it. even when superpower works it doesnt really work :[[. U-turn helps deal some chip damage and grants you a lot of momentum.

You can also put rest on hitmontop / registeel over rock slide / stone edge if you want to increase their survivability. putting it on hitmontop is pretty cool as you get usage out of it while its still asleep with intimidate and lickilicky can always heal bell them to wake them up.

whimsicott isn't really that big of a threat as you make it out to be. you can just go to hitmontop and spin on leech seed to get rid of hazards and pp stall the leech seeds. if they have toxic then you can just heal bell later on in the match.

hope i helped!

Hi Hypnoempire! After playing you i can say that this team struggles with physical pressure from offensive teams as your two physical walls don't have reliable recovery and Lickilicky can't pass wishes in front of physical attackers for obvious reasons leaving you prone to Zoroark+Normal or Fighting Spam and stuff like Taunt+Pursuit Skuntank or Drapion. A possible suggestion might be using a Physically defensive Aromatisse (or Granbull) over one of your ghost types (that are redundant as hell anyway as you only have Toxic Spikes to protect from spinning and if the opponent doesn't have Hitmontop or has a grounded poison you have wasted two pokemon slots). Not to mention that CB Druddigon can simply lock into Outrage every time it comes in and 2HKO or OHKO everything on your team even without entry hazards up so adding one of the fairies is kinda needed. I like strong hitters like Braviary on defensive teams but changing it to Sub Bulk Up might be more beneficial in the long run as it gives a solid win condition and loves Toxic Spikes.

->

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 32 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy/Toxic

If you run aromatherapy you get to run Dragon Tail on Lickilicky which is awesome

Braviary (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 200 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)