1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Stalling in the Sand (OU RMT)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Kuvster1, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Kuvster1

Kuvster1

Intro​
    Hello fellow Smogonites! My name is Kuvster1 and heres my 1st OU RMT. I've had a few battles with this team, with some success, and I'm looking for a bit of criticism to improve it. I'd never done a Sandstorm team before, so I've wanted to build one for a while now. This was originally going to be a balanced team, but it sort of turned into a stall team during the teambuilding. Without further ado, here it is!

Team at a Glance​
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]205[/pimg][pimg]669[/pimg][pimg]477[/pimg][pimg]346[/pimg]​

Teambuilding Process​
    [pimg]248[/pimg]​
    Every Sandstorm team needs a Sandstorm summoner. I like Hippowdon, but don't really see enough of a reason to use him. Hippowdons physical bulk and access to Slack Off are the main reasons to use him, but there are plenty of other physical walls to use in Sandstorm teams (Ferrothorn, Forretress, Gliscor, Skarmory...) so Tyranitar and his immense Special bulk seems like a better option. Tyranitar also has a better attack stat, and is unpredictable, due to its ability to run a Mixed set, a Dragon Dance set and even act as a revenge killer with Choice Scarf.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg]​
    I've always loved SubSplit Gengar, and although he may seem like an unusual choice for a Sandstorm team, he's one of my star Pokemon. He isn't immune to Sandstorm, but by running a SubSplit set, the residual damage is often beneficial. Tyranitar is like a magnet for Earthquakes and any Fighting type move, both of which provide a safe switch in for Gengar.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]227[/pimg]​
    I decided to run a Specially defensive Tyranitar, so a Physically defensive Skarmory was a perfect team-mate, easily taking most attacks that troubled my Tyranitar + Gengar combo. A few other Pokemon were contesting for this spot, namely Ferrothorn and Forretress, and I had trouble selecting who to use. Ferrothorn had awesome Special Defense as well as Defense, Forretress had Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, and Skarmory had Roost and Whirlwind for P-hazing. In the end, I decided to try out Skarmory, and switch him for someone else if he wasn't performing well.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]227[/pimg][pimg]675[/pimg]​
    I figured my team would need at least one strong offensive Pokemon, to remove threats and help me against Taunt users. There wasn't much competition for this spot. Terrakion and Landorus are the only decent Sand sweepers around now Excadrill resides in Ubers. Expert Belt Landorus is a beast, easily bluffing a Choice item and nabbing a few KO's, so I decided to give him a try, and switch him for Terrakion if need be.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]227[/pimg][pimg]675[/pimg][pimg]477[/pimg]​
    Gliscor is the best Pokemon in OU. I don't care what anyone else thinks, he is. Poison Heal gives him double leftovers recovery, plus an immunity to Status. 125 Base Defense is enough to wall all sorts of Physical attackers, and its immunity to Ground and Electric is always useful. Access to a whole bunch of awesome moves, such as Stealth Rock, Taunt, Swords Dance and STAB Earthquake, give Gliscor both a Defensive and Offensive presence, and to top things off, he has great stats around the board, and an immunity to Sandstorm damage. Enough said.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]227[/pimg][pimg]675[/pimg][pimg]477[/pimg][pimg]428[/pimg]​
    At this point of teambuilding, I noticed my nasty weakness to Water. Three weaknesses and no resistances meant anything spamming Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump/Water Spout would wreck my team. Gastrodon was the obvious choice for this spot, with good Special Defense to counter most Water types, access to Recover, an immunity to Sandstorm and another immunity to Electric types. I considered Vaporeon, because Wish support could be handy, but the lack of instant recovery was a letdown.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]205[/pimg][pimg]675[/pimg][pimg]477[/pimg][pimg]428[/pimg]​
    I realised now that my team had become very stall based, and there were few changes to be made to suit. My lack of Toxic Spikes seemed inadequate, as my team was definitely capable of slowing the game down and draining the opponents health by Badly Poisoning them. I also noticed Toxic Spikes would be quite a weapon against me, as Gengar is levitating, and I have no other Poison types to absorb them. Seen as only one Pokemon has the Rapid Spin + Toxic Spikes combo, Forretress stepped up and joined my team.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]205[/pimg][pimg]675[/pimg][pimg]477[/pimg][pimg]346[/pimg]​
    Maybe I was a little quick to select Gastrodon. He isn't the only Pokemon with Storm Drain, and I didn't notice that Cradily was better suited to the job. Gastrodon's Special Defense is less compared to Cradily, not to mention the 50% boost Cradily recieves in the Sandstorm, thanks to being part Rock type. Cradily also comes with a plethora of usable boosting moves, attacking moves, and support moves. I also had troubles against Pokemon with Giga Drain or another Special Grass move, as both of my Special walls were demolished by it.
    [pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]94[/pimg][pimg]205[/pimg][pimg]669[/pimg][pimg]477[/pimg][pimg]346[/pimg]​
    For some reason, Landorus was failing, and letting my team down. I don't know why, but he just wasn't working. So I decided to bring in Plan B. Terrakion. Not much thought really went into the switch, he was really just my only other option. Although lacking the Sand Force boost Landorus acquires, the Special Defense boost is handy for setting up Swords Dances. My team now seemed pretty much complete, with two Special walls, two Physical walls, and two Offensive Pokemon.

A Closer Look​

[pimg]248[/pimg]
    Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sandstream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
    Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit
    - Crunch​

Tyranitar, the Pokemon I built my team around. 404 HP + 492 SDef = Solid Special wall. Leftovers is obvious, as Choble Berry is useless with Gengar there to switch into any Fighting attack. The EVs and nature are simple, max HP and SDef, with 4 Spe to beat opposing Tyranitars. Stealth Rock is there as obvious team support, Crunch is my reliable STAB attack, and hits surprising hard off a decent 304 Attack. Pursuit is to trap Gengar, Alakazam, Starmie, Espeon and a whole lot of other fragile Psychic or Ghost types. Superpower rounds off the coverage, to hit Steel and Rock types hard.

[pimg]94[/pimg]
    Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Timid nature: (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Pain Split
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball​

I really don't see why Subsplit Gengar isn't on every team with Tyranitar. As I mentioned in Teambuilding, its ability to switch into the Ground and Fighting type attacks that Tyranitar does an excellent job of luring means that these two Pokemon have excellent synergy. Life Orb + Sandstorm + Substitute wears Gengar down fast, so Pain Split usually sucks away a decent chunk of the opponents health. I especially like this Gengar's ability to beat Blissey and Chansey, some of his main counters. He's also my Spinblocker, although I won't bring him in against Starmie, the premier spinner in OU. EVs and nature are self-explanatory, and the moveset is pretty simple, with Shadow Ball for STAB, and Focus Blast for coverage.

[pimg]205[/pimg]
    Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes​

Forretress, the much needed Toxic Spiker and Rapid Spinner in my team. 252 HP and 252 Def EVs and Bold nature to maximise Forretress' defense, again with 4 Spe to outspeed opposing Forretress. Volt Switch is there so I can still escape from Magnezone with losing my Leftovers, while the other three moveslots are dedicated to setting up and clearing entry hazards. I'm always careful when using Forretress, as if he goes down without setting up Toxic Spikes, I'm in for a hell of a time struggling to deal damage. Also, against teams with their own Toxic Spikes, I must keep Forretress alive, as I need Rapid Spin to prevent my team from being crippled.

[pimg]669[/pimg]
    Terrakion @ Rock Gem
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance​

Terrakion is the best physical attacker in OU right now. Pretty much nothing can safely switch in on this thing, and those who do are often caught off guard by a SubDance set. Rock Gem is there to help bluff a Choice Band, as Life Orb would be too damaging when combined with Substitute. The rest of the set is obvious, with max Attack and Speed, as well as a Jolly nature to beat all non-Choice Scarf base 100's. Close Combat and Stone Edge are remarkable dual STABs, hitting all but a few common Pokemon for neutral damage. Even Slowbro and Gliscor, his two main counters take around two thirds health from a +2 Stone Edge, KOing them with some prior damage. This thing can rip teams to shreds if I play him correctly.

[pimg]477[/pimg]
    Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
    Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Protect​

The Stallrein of the sand, SubProtect Gliscor is perhaps the most annoying set ever created. Thanks to Poison Heal, I can alternate between Substitute and Protect for 32 turns until my PP runs out, draining the opponents health with Sandstorm and Toxic Spikes damage, as well as wasting their PP. This set is mainly physically defensive, to maximise Gliscor's opportunities to switch in. 72 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed any non-Choice Scarf Tyranitar. Earthquake is there to help me against Taunters, and to finish off Pokemon on low health, while Toxic is there to Badly Poison those immune to Toxic Spikes. Probably the MVP of my team.

[pimg]346[/pimg]
    Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
    Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Protect
    - Recover​

Cradily, my much needed immunity to water attacks, as well as being a solid Special wall. Not the best Pokemon in my team, but I really don't see how I'd survive against Starmie and other vicious Special Water types without him. Nothing interesting here, with max HP and Special Defense, and as always, 4 Speed EVs to outspeed opposing Cradily, which is more or less pointless as the chances of that happening are pretty much zero. Toxic is there to Badly Poison those pesky Flying types and Levitators, Earthquake is to prevent me from being Taunt bait, Recover is for instant recovery, and Protect is to stall for Toxic damage and extra recovery from Leftovers.

Conclusion​

Well there's my team. I know it's pretty standard, especially the Movesets, but I'm not really ready to construct something original (and successful). Please be critical with rating my team, being my first real attempt at BW OU, theres definitely going to be some major issues. Oh yeah, I'm sorry for the uncreative name, I couldn't come up with anything.
  2. Max212

Max212

I see a major weakness to Scizor and Rain Teams. Everything is hit decently hard by banded bullet punch except Forretress, and Gliscor to an extent can take hits. However, Forretress lacks decent recovery and Gliscor is still taking good damage from it. Your problem with rain is also an issue since your only actual defense against it is Cradily, and that isn't much of a shield against powerful rain teams, especially with the rest of your team taking huge hits from scalds and hydro pumps.

To fix that issue, I suggest replacing your Gengar with Standard Jellicent. The fix will give you a bulkier spin blocker, which makes sense since your team leans toward stall. It will also give you an additional defense against Scizor and Rain Teams. Jellicent still beats Chansey/Blissey with Taunt, so you won't be losing that either.

Here is the set:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spe
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Bold
    - Scald
    - Taunt
    - Recover
    - Will-o-Wisp

Good luck!
  3. XcRunner

XcRunner

Yeah, I'm going to agree with Max212. Your team has 3 water weaknesses, and you only have your one resist. It just isn't enough, especially if your Cradily gets tricked by a rotom-W that it's trying to counter.
    A minor change on Forretress, but I'd recommend changing the EV's to 252 hp/176 def/80 spD to allow it to take Draco Meteors better.
    That's about all I have to say. It looks like a solid team
  4. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

Hey man this is a pretty interesting semi-stall team you got here.

Honestly the biggest weakness by far for this team may be straight up OU dragons. For example, lum berry-Dragonite can home in on Tyranitar, Forretress, or Cradily with little to no issue, set up a dragon dance, and have good odds to sweep your right there. I highly suggest you use hidden power ice on Forretress to kill off Dragonite once it is stuck in outrage, perhaps over toxic spikes. Forretress is also going to need 56 special attack evs to do that job.

Also I realize toxic stalling with Gliscor is a hella-fun, but you may want to use the standard Gliscor move set with swords dance and ice fang to deal with Dragons and breloom much easier.

One big suggestion I have is to really just use Blissey on this team as your main special wall. Unless I am missing something, Blissey performs the same job as Gastrodon or Cradily here but much better, it even takes boosted water attacks like a champ. Again unless I am missing something, Blissey completely outclasses Cradily here.

You may want to highly consider Max's Jellicent suggestion. However I would no go for it unless your willing to use Choice Scarf Tyranitar over your current version to check random late game threats. This would require you using stealth rocks on something else, but this should be little problem if use do my Blissey suggestion and just run it on Blissey. (if you don't run Blissey and you can still do this, run stealth rocks on Forretress over volt switch, as Jellicent can handle Gyarados).

In summary:
    -hidden power ice > toxic spikes
    -Gliscor standard moveset (Swords dance / protect / earthquake / ice fang)
    -Blissey > Cradily
    -Jellicent > Gengar
    -Scarf-Tyranitar

Sets (open)

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Softboiled
    - Toxic
    - Seismic Toss
    - Stealth Rock

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch
    - Spikes

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Protect
    - Swords Dance

good luck
  5. jg1198

jg1198

Jellicent over cradily, as it still walls waters, and having jelli and gengar helps clean up your glaring fighting weakness.
    Possible sets:
    ~ Scald / Surf
    ~ Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
    ~ Recover
    ~ Shadow Ball / Taunt
    248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

~ Scald
    ~ Recover
    ~ Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
    ~ Shadow Ball / Ice Beam
    252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD

I personally use the top one with the attacks before the slash for its ability to burn threats like lando and terrakion and then recover off damage and its synergy with ttar.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)