Stallwart (A UU Stallfense Team)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Heya guys. Nightmare Vam...ya know what from now on call me NV. Lemme restart. Hiya guys NV here with another UU RMT. I tested UU with success on my previous RMT http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3484755 and decided I'm gonna hang in UU for a bit. Now to introduce my brand new team:

STALLWART!!!

Teambuilding Process

This team started centered around the Empoleon/Gligar core so obviously they are the base of this team. They are great walls, specially and physically respectively, and cover each other's weaknesses well.

Next I picked a great offensive Pokemon in Specs Roserade. She also complements the Empoligar core.

Now I lacked a huge physical threat, so Banded Swampert popped into my head as he only has one weakness and Roserade 4x resists said weakness.

Cofagrigus is a great physical wall and only adds to the stally nature of this team.

Lastly I added Umbreon for Wish and Heal Bell support, along with forming a great defensive core with Cofagrigus.

The stall war was on!!!

Ice Queen (Empoleon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Ah Empoleon, the only Pokemon capable of comfortably walling Kingdra bar Hidden Power Electric. Empoleon is a great special wall, walling anything from Specs Kingdra Draco Meteor to Aboma's Blizzard. Empoleon's typing is great as it is only weak to three types, all covered by Gligar, forming a deadly stall/defensive core. SR is for an entry hazard as, I believe, any team needs. Scald to burn those physical attackers on the switch trying to take advantage of Empoleon's weaker Defense stat while also softening those same physical attackers for Gligar to wall with glee after Empoleon switches out. Ice Beam for opposing Gligar and to deal a decent hit to any form of Kingdra. Roar is for phazing to rack up entry hazard damage and to stop any set up sweepers, such as DD Kingdra, Nasty Plot PZ, and so on. This standard defensive set for Empoleon is a great start to any defensive team in my opinion.

Ouch? (Gligar) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Taunt

The second part of my Empoligar defensive core, walling almost all physical attackers, including ScarfShao, ScarfCross, ScarfGon, and so on. His Eviolite improves his physical bulk to match heavenly levels, allowing him to Roost off dmg and win the Toxic stall war as even against Umbreon and Xatu, who use their abilities to try and inflict Toxic on Gligar are unable to due to Gligar's Immunity. Taunt to hopefully stop slow stalls such as Wish + Protect from Umbreon and wearing down from Brave Bird + Roost on Honchkrow. EQ is there for pitiful dmg but if Taunted. Gligar's typing allows him to take all of Empoleon's weaknesses, being immune to 2 of them while resistant to 1, and Empoleon can take his weaknesses, being resistant to both of them.

Poison Ivy (Roserade) (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extrasensory

Specs Roserade is a beast, OHKOing threats with Leaf Storm such as Banded Flygon, Scarf Mienshao, and even Crocune. Her power, along with coverage, is great for a stall team as it shocks most other stall teams hoping to outstall me only to be met with Specsrade or Bandpert (my Swampert). Leaf Storm as with Choice Specs, and her ability Natural Cure, screams for switching. Sludge Bomb to hit Grass types hard and for another STAB for Grass resistors. Hidden Power Fire to get the jump on Ice types and hail teams in general while also hitting Steel types who are immune to one of her STABs while resisting the other. Extrasensory to deal a huge deal of dmg to ScarfCross and OHKOing ScarfShao, even though ScarfShao is also OHKOed by a +/- 0 Leaf Storm. Needless to say, this team has a stall nature to it but with the Roserade/Swampert core, I am able to break through walls and other stall teams I might be struggling against.

Morse Code (Swampert) (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 44 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 Atk / 208 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

The second part of my offensive core, Bandpert is a baws, taking all the special walls, such as Snorlax, Empoleon, etc. trying to tank Specsrade's attacks. Another reason this offensive core works is because Swampert is bulky enough to take hits and hit hard while Roserade is able to hit hard and fast, two things an offensive core must need to break through stall and/or walls. EQ is there for Ground STAB and a hard hit to Pokemon like Raikou, Suicune, etc. Waterfall for Water STAB and to hit Rhyperior hard while hitting those that resist or are immune to his Ground STAB like Flygon, Bronzong, etc. Ice Punch mainly for Gligar but to also get a harder hit on Flygon and other Dragon types, such as the rare Druddigon. Superpower is there for Steel types and for that asshat that is Snorlax, who can comfortably wall all of Roserade's attacks and be able to survive Swampy's other attacks.

Look Over Here (Cofagrigus) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Haze
- Shadow Ball

Man Cofagrigus, the answer to common threats such as Heracross, Mienshao, Flygon, etc. His base stats scream a defensive set and he plays it well. WoW allows that burn on any physical attacker brave enough to stay in on Cofagrigus. Pain Split to allow his low base HP to regain health while also hindering his opponent's Pokemon. Haze for any set up sweeper trying to SD on Cofagrigus after a burn to negate burn's Atk drop allowing to wall any Heracross set and any Mienshao set bar SubShao and SubCross. Shadow Ball for those Sub sets on the previously stated Pokemon, breaking the Subs and eventually wearing those sets down and also for the times he's Taunted. Cofagrigus also has the added bonus of spinblocking for me to keep SR on the field incase Empoleon dies as I have no other Pokemon to reset it after Empoleon does die.

Luna (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Umbreon, one of few viable Wish supporters in UU, is a godsend to this team, with everyone being hurt by some type of status/lack of reliable recovery and/or entry hazards. The standard Smogon set with a twist: 0 Atk IVs for less dmg from confusion or Foul Play. The Wish + Protect combo gives all but Gligar reliable recovery on my team, allowing my team to eventually win the stall war if my offensive core cannot break through. Heal Bell goes great with Umbreon's ability as she can status the opposition as they try to status her and heal said status with Heal Bell. Heal Bell is also great to get rid of status on my offensive core to allow them to last longer throughout the fight. Foul Play for Taunt reasons and to deal decent dmg to common physical attacker switch ins trying to take advantage of Umbreon's weaker defense stat.​

Well here's another great team of mine. Have fun with it. Try it out and tell me what improvements can be made. Love the forums and plan to be posting here all summer long.

Here is the importable:
Ice Queen (Empoleon) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Ouch? (Gligar) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Taunt

Poison Ivy (Roserade) (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extrasensory

Morse Code (Swampert) (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 44 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 Atk / 208 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Look Over Here (Cofagrigus) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Haze
- Shadow Ball

Luna (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

The Larvitar that keeps on going,
~Nightmare Vampire (NV from now on)

I used almost this exact team about 2 months ago, and it is incredibly fun. Nice job on the team, it looks very well rounded. I'll give a full rate later:)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Great minds think alike, what can I say? And I expect a great rate (as you say you have used the team before and know what it is meant to do, lol).

~NV

nv

The Lost Age
A bump since apparently this isn't popular, Dx No rates in 2 days... :/

~NV

Hey cool team! Empoleon is kust a great poke to use i love using it as a sweeper, but it has the resistances and bulk ti be a great wall. On that note...
1. Gligar/ empoleon core looks good.
2. Specs rade is good, but mienshao is easily ohko by most moves tbh. I dont think scarfcross is reason eniugh to run specs and extrasensory. Gligar/ cofagriguz wall hera and mienshao to eternity. I think a life orb with leaf storm/ sludge bomb/ sleep powder and spikes/synthesis would do better. Hidden power fire is for zong, but a sleep powder will cripple zong for the rest of the match making it easy pickings.
While still allowing you to hit hard and eithet setup spikes or restore hp.
Reat of your team looks good, just watch out for zapdos who can destroy your core with hp ice and thunderbolt or can hit swampert/ rade with hp grass anx hheatwave

nv

The Lost Age
Thanks Patrick 1088 for the rate. I am surprised how overlooked the Empoleon/Gligar core is because it is a great core especially for defensive and balanced teams. Also Roserade with a Life Orb can still 2HKO Bronzong with HP Fire otherwise my best bet (Swampert) can 3HKO it but your set for Roserade sounds great. I will try it out. Thanks for the help, :)

~NV

QUICK EDIT: I forgot to state that Rose has Choice Specs because of her ability to wallbreak (and ultimately break the natural stall of the opposing team, if the team is a defensive or stall-natured team, so my stalling wins out) but again I will test the Life Orb set to see if it still fulfills the role of my "stallbreaker".

Have you considered at all putting Spikes on Roserade in place of Extrasensory? Your team forces a lot of switches it seems, and it would probably be helpful to have something other than SR to take advantage of. She can easily force out a switch from an unsuspecting opponent and get a layer or two up per game.

nv

The Lost Age
That would be a great idea if the LO set proves its viability on this team. Spikes can also be left on the field with my only spinblocker, Cofagrigus and he can take care of many spinblocker threats like Kabutops with his WoW.

That would be a great idea if the LO set proves its viability on this team. Spikes can also be left on the field with my only spinblocker, Cofagrigus and he can take care of many spinblocker threats like Kabutops with his WoW.
I think Spikes could fit even on a Choice Specs set. Slightly riskier of course, but Extrasensory doesn't seem to provide much.

nv

The Lost Age
Hm does seems interesting...might need to try it then. Can bluff a defensive set and allow the damage with the forced switches this team can cause.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)