1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Stally team with sigilyph needs help!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Karpi, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Punchshroom

Punchshroom para is worse than sleep
    is a Community Contributor

This is pretty conflicting in itself, you make it sound as if: "If Icicle Plate Cryo doesn't work on this team, it shouldn't be on the site." Note the underlined words, you might not have said it but that is what you imply, because you can't seriously think Icicle Cryo works on every team (I trust you don't), especially when there is a suggested primary set (for stall) on the site itself.

Anyway, I think the problem here isn't Cryo itself, but it's moveset. You want Toxic to deal with Ghosts, but want to keep phazing. Why not slap Roar on Moltres? You already have Toxic Spikes to support Molters's SubRoosting, while Steel-types and most Poison-types that are immune to Toxic Spikes can be roasted by Flamethrower, so you could give that some thought.
  2. Qualna

Qualna

I'm no cheerleader, butthurt?

Also, just stop, you aren't even helping the guy who made this thread anymore, stop acting like a kid.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. An-94

An-94

Not really I just don't understand how I'm wrong for my suggestion/opinion not like it was proven to be a bad thing either so I'm not butthurt just confused I guess o.0
  4. An-94

An-94

He could add drapion and cb sawk to go with sigi to make a lil darkfightingpsychich core that's p cute but idk
  5. epikkyogre78

epikkyogre78 Banned deucer.

IF SOMEONE STARTS ARGUING AGAIN ON THIS THREAD, IM GONNA KICK THEIR BUTTS TO SIBERIA AND BACK.

HELP MAKE THE GUY'S TEAM BETTER INSTEAD OF ARGUING ALL THE DAMN TIME!!

CUT THE CRAP, PEOPLE!!!

Anyway, as you mentioned, Dragonair is definitely
    a threat. To help combat against this, I suggest replacing a member of your team with Piloswine.
    He sets up Stealth Rocks, which is a plus, but most importantly, he is really bulky (especially for an Ice type) with Eviolite, and he is capable of taking repeated hits from Dragonair, and can 2HKO/OHKO (I'm not sure which one) with Icicle Crash. I'm not sure where you would fit it in, but adding Piloswine would be an absolute game-changer for your team.
    Anyway, I hope I helped, and good luck with the team!! :D
  6. epikkyogre78

I'll bump 4 u "BUMP"
  7. AquaAdmin

AquaAdmin

I think you've got this all wrong, An-94. He's just specifying that the standard smogon set may not work for this team. It's based on stall, anyways.
  8. atomicllamas

atomicllamas on good days I am charming as fuck
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Hi, so I'm just gonna start out by saying ignore all of the people above, I read some of their stuff, and a lot of it is flat out wrong or bickering about stupid shit. Alright so on to my rate, this actually has a decently good base for an RU stall team, as cryo/alo/rose/ghost are just a really good core for RU stall. That being said your team currently has a major problem for any stall based team/any team in general, you don't have stealth rocks. And as much as I love a defensive Moltres (I actually really do, lol) it is clearly the most replaceable member on your team so I will suggest the following as a replacement.

[​IMG]
    Steelix @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake

Steelix has a huge defense stat, the ability to set rocks, and phaze threatening set up sweepers, while being immune to both toxic and thunderwave. This mon is actually crucial to your team, cause without a phazer, set up sweepers like SD Sceptile, Opposing Sigilyph, and more will just wreck your team. You need SR and phazing so here you go.

Next I'm going to suggest that your Alomomola run an EV spread of 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 SDef which will allow it to deal with neutral special attacks a lot better while retaining its great defense and HP stats. This is the spread that all of the good RU players are running, even though it isn't on sight.

Another huge problem your team has for a stall team, is that you have nothing that can cure status, meaning that Cryo/Tomb/Alo can all get worn down by status, crippling your strategy. Because of this I am going to suggest a change to Roselia's set. You should be running Aromatherapy over hidden power fire, which is only there for Escavalier. The ability to check kill esca won't be missed to much, as steelix is a hard counter to anything it can throw at you.

Also Punchshroom is right, CP sigi sucks and is total crit/trick bait, you should go with a more offensive calm mind/psycho shift set with psychic or psyshock over stored power. In all honesty consider dropping psycho shift for air slash or heat wave and flame orb for a life orb. Best of luck with your team!
  9. Karpi

Karpi

Uh, so I'm going to ignore the part of this thread that should obviously be ignored. Cryogonal is still doing what I want it to with the moveset it has.

LightningLuxray
    I tested SR Steelix as a Roselia replacement. It does actually take care of most of my problems with its steel typing, but SR really can't compare to the power of Toxic Spikes on this team. But what I did learn from using Steelix is that I want a pokemon with EdgeQuake... hinthint see below!

AquaAdmin Qualna
    Amoongus was on the team first, actually. And I removed it for exactly the reason stated in that it doesn't give me entry hazards. So it probably wasn't necessary to quote you guys here, but Amoongus was taken into consideration and the team functions with it except for the lack of entry hazards

Punchshroom
    I tested CM Sigilyph, and honestly didn't notice much difference in its effectiveness. I definitely think either set can work here, but I plan to test this some more. Since the rest of my team is established now, I'll just look at how often I rely on Sigilyph to take physical hits, because otherwise Calm Mind would be superior.
    And I do use Taunt semi-frequently on my Spiritomb, so I'll keep that, but thanks anyway!

AquaAdmin Aasgier
    The winner is Scolipede! And without Megahorn, actually. I had already tested Steelix by this point, and saw that I wanted to be able to have the threat of EdgeQuake to force some switches. So the dual entry hazards + EdgeQuake set wins out. The only downside to not having Megahorn is having to play defensively against Mesprit/Uxie/Gardevoir, but that's manageable since even Moltres can tank their hits. Overall a big :D for Scolipede

epikkyogre78
    I've used Piloswine in a different RU team, and I feel like it gets worn down to a similar extent as Roselia, so I don't want to replace it and deal with the same thing that frustrated me as before. Piloswine is excellent in a bulky offense team, but not here, I think. Thanks for the suggestion though

atomicllamas
    This is something I hadn't considered at all. I did enjoy Steelix, after all, and the only thing I didn't like was his lack of spiking utility, so it's entirely possible that Roselia/Steelix could work instead of Scolipede/Moltres. Briefly I am worried about grass types and relying too much on Wish support, but in exchange I get the cleric I wanted... Damn, now you've made me curious enough to try this...

What I have now works, though. So I would be unlikely to change, I guess, unless I start to come up against more mirror matches (poisoning+burn stall teams)

@everyone who rated
    Thanks so much for the help!

The most remarkable thing happened:
    This team with Scolipede in place of Roselia... doesn't really have any problems with anything I've come up against (I just need to predict like a bitch when my opponent has an Absol)! It works! :D

(And CM Sigilyph may also be a permanent change but we'll see what happens)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  10. epikkyogre78

I understand that Piloswine gets sorta worn down over the course of the match, but he can tank multiple hits and strike back, he also gives your team priority in the form of Ice Shard, he sets up Stealth Rock, but most of all, he defeats Dragonair 1-on-1. Piloswine is bulkier than people give him credit for.
    Could you at least try him out and see how he does? I really, really recommend him.
  11. epikkyogre78

Entei doesn't even come close to 2HKOing a 252/252+ Piloswine! Look:

252 Atk Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 152-180 (37.62 - 44.55%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  12. Qualna

Qualna

Nice moustache epikkyogre78

Yes, a moustache is worth a post.
  13. AquaAdmin

AquaAdmin

Awesome, Scolipede is a cool guy ^-^
    Glad I could help!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)