1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Stand-Up Comedy Thread

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by Server_Crash, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Server_Crash

Server_Crash

Even though most stand-up is hilarious, do people have one or a few comedians that they really think are a cut above the rest?

If people could post an accompanying joke with their choice(s), then it would be even better as lazy people can laugh without having to click anything!

Let's get things rolling:

"I would never be able to stab someone, because I'm terrible with Capri-Suns."
    -Daniel Tosh

I know he's really mainstream but I'm not enough of a hipster to care. I was really upset when he got a show, as I thought it would end his career (read: George Lopez), and I don't think I'm alone when I say that I thought it would end after the first episode of Tosh.0.

So, who are other users' favorite stand-up comedians?
  2. THE_IRON_KENYAN

THE_IRON_KENYAN 0 vv 0
    is a Forum Moderator

If its called stand-up comedy, why is everybody sitting down while they watch it?
  3. THE_IRON_KENYAN

THE_IRON_KENYAN 0 vv 0
    is a Forum Moderator

is this thing on
  4. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Anthony Jeselnik. That is all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFnKTs6CXwQ

I find it hard to listen to comics who tell a stupid made up story for 15 minutes and try to make it funny when it's really not, so I'm generally a one-liner kind of guy. My two favorite in that category are probably Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg.
  5. Johann

Johann

6. GMLW

GMLW

Brian Regan.

Brian Regan is unique in that he manages to pull-off the "clean" act and still make it funny, thus showing that swears and sex references aren't necessary for a funny act. This guy is absolutely hilarious.

Little League.
    School.
    Airplanes.
    Flight delays. (Not on YouTube, couldn't find it there.)

"It's never that, it's never that. It's always, 'Uh, somebody put our engine in upside-down, and, uh, there's only one tool in our galaxy that can fix it, and, uh... it's in Madagascar.'"

Also, Jeff Dunham and Jim Gaffigan are pretty awesome.
  7. RaRaRabbit

RaRaRabbit

8. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

FUCK yes. i clicked on this thread with the sole intention of talking about this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xytT1oWhTu8&feature=related

"when i finished high school i wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. but my mom said no. see, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18, and i can just have his motorcycle." quite probably my favourite standup joke of all time.

also it's not the best example of him being funny, but i was tremendously impressed by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_mzj9kiyAE&feature=related warning don't watch if you like dane cook (second warning dane cook fucking sucks)
  9. Kristoph

Kristoph

fucking crying right now, oh my God

I also like Zach Galifianakis and Ricky Gervais. Gervais just for the Golden Globes alone is worth mentioning, honestly.
  10. MrIndigo

MrIndigo

Eddie Izzard is the best stand-up I've ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqgvLJr3SF0 That's a piece on washing your clothes, and another good bit is 'Covered in Bees'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo

I'm also a fan of Dylan Moran's standup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoLIU2NI66w

Ed Byrne on Alanis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

Finally, you can't go past Billy Connolly. Classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zml2OmjjwP8 on drunk walks and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QilRAJV8d74 is getting old.
  11. ungulateman

ungulateman

Dylan Moran is my favourite.

Bill Bailey is a close second.

And they made a sitcom together.

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN
  12. crabnebula

crabnebula

Triumph - The Insult Comic Dog - 10 and a half minutes of pure comedy gold. There are way too many memorable lines to single out one.

Russell Peters - His take on Indians and Chinese being unable to work together. His accents of both are funny parts rather than his lines.
  13. Toothache

Toothache Let the music play!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Doug Stanhope: No question, this guy is a genius. Also appears on Newswipe throwing his own take on the news. He's coming to the UK in March
  14. Brammi

Brammi

15. Altaria

Altaria

Most people here won't know Theo Maassen. He made this joke "I vote for the PVV because it's almost PSV, and I am a PSV hooligan." And much more.

All those links are to Wikipedia.

One nice thing, here descibed on Wikipedia.

16. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

17. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

I was raised on alot of old Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Jack Benny, Woody Allen, and Jonathan Winters, so I like those older guys. Newer comics I find really funny are Eddie Izzard, Jim Gaffigan, Gabriel Iglesias, and Ron White.

Also, am I the only person who doesn't find Jeff Dunham's puppets funny at all? I think they're lame and played out.
  18. murderotica

murderotica

Tommy Johnagin uses the clean act as well; I find him pretty funny even so. Also, Bill Cosby "Himself".
  19. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Nidoqueen is good in Ubers!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Just what I wanted to post. Theo Maassen is amazing, though most people probably won't know him (as he's Dutch).

One of my favorite:

"Make yourself at home, well then you shit with the door open and then eeeuuuh ...."
  20. NeilKosugi

NeilKosugi

21. BlakBlastoise

BlakBlastoise

22. cookie

cookie Administrator
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Soc. Forums Leader

dylan moran is a legend

i like him a lot in black books and he's a decent stand-up comedian and is obviously very talented but I don't think he's really really really good

some of my favourites:

sean lock, ross noble, eddie izzard who's been mentioned several times already, frankie boyle when his borderline quips were occasional rather than the norm, dara o briain
  23. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

Jimmy Carr is pretty funny but his jokes are kind of hit and miss, and they don't usually have much set up so he's kind of like a joke machine gun.
  24. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

I forgot to mention Dmitri Martin. His one liners and delivery are great.
  25. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

Big fan of Jeff Dunham, Chris Rock and George Lopez.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)