1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Star Wars Episode VII: What the Hell, Disney?

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by Byrne, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byrne

Byrne

2. Relados

Relados That's right!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Well, the books did go beyond what the movies are at so far.
  3. Danmire

Danmire it comes and goes
    is an Artist Alumnus

I don't know, Disney has done a great job with the Marvel movies. But it just isn't the same without George Lucas. The original 3 are considered the greatest films in history, thanks to Lucas. Though I can give Disney props for this:
    [youtube]?v=UdbajvVROjc[/youtube]
  4. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Disney bought Marvel and it turned out to be one of the best things to ever happen to Marvel. Imagine a Joss Whedon-fronted Star Wars!
  5. Stagnant

Stagnant

Honestly, this was a great deal on both ends.
  6. moonbound

moonbound

I heard that Lucas will have creative control over VII, but I'm still apprehensive. Also, Disney got the rights to Indiana Jones too, so you have to worry about them messing that up (more that it already was by the ridiculous recent movies)
  7. v

v in like, the parlance of our times, you know?
    is a Super Moderator
    ULTRA Moderator

and the prequels are bemoaned by fans of the originals everywhere, ALSO thanks to Lucas
  8. Stagnant

Stagnant

fuck fans.

They are never satisfied.
  9. TheFourthChaser

TheFourthChaser #TimeForChange
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Yea Marvel has had a quality increase since Disney got them so I have interest in this, hell I enjoyed the prequels. I'm sure diehard Star Wars fans are pissed already anyway lol
  10. Jebus McAzn

Jebus McAzn

if whedon writes the new star wars then i will pee myself in happiness
  11. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Lucas has already shat all over the Indiana Jones and the Star Wars franchises so things can only get better from here.
  12. Steamroll

Steamroll resident zombie
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

No, it's not suddenly Disney is making Star Wars. Lucasfilms had the planning for the script of not just 7, but 8 and 9 in the works for years now.

Disney also doesn't have to fight all the snags that come with using another brand from another company, now that they own it they can do whatever the fuck they want. Lucasfilms has been flopping pretty hard as of late and now that Disney has bought them and placed them in a consulting position it should be nothing but good for both parties.

[youtube]QIkqX5fG_tA&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
  13. v

v in like, the parlance of our times, you know?
    is a Super Moderator
    ULTRA Moderator

14. macle

macle &macle: I literally bring frogs into the bedroom
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

honestly i like all the star wars movies so im excited.
  15. Skytt

Skytt

Why this could be a very good thing;

- George Lucas is where he is supposed to be, a visual consultant giving some input to help guide the film, but not enough to make drastic changes or control it in any shape or form. This will allow the writers, director and Lucas to exchange thoughts and give feedback, making a collaborative film of ideas from multiple creative types much like the originals and not like Lucas' 99% control over the prequels.
    - Marvel has already proven that Disney can make a franchise great, with Avengers being one of the best films of the year. Imagine a new, gritty SW trilogy that stays true to the originals and focuses on plot rather than SFX and action. Plus the possibility of Joss Whedon directing is always a huge plus (he is a VERY big SW fan).
    - To my knowledge it is confirmed to be based on Post-RotJ, so original cast has a high possibility of reprisal (if set 30< years after RotJ, I have a very strong feeling Mark Hamill will make a return).
    - Possibility of a remastered, unedited Blu-Ray edition of the entire saga (all 6/9)

Negative possibilities/aspects:

- Disney make it more child friendly, much like the prequels with JarJar ect. (possibly animated).
    - They royally fuck it up, with bad plot/writers, horrible directing and the continual abuse of using SFX over actual sets. Basically, prequels v2.
    - Most of the EU will most likely go down the drain, or will become an alternate reality universe which will co-exist but will no longer be canon (though it was never considered G-Canon). If the films do go down the route of the current EU, then it will most likely be the familiar Thrawn trilogy or somewhere between Cade and Present-EU which we haven't seen before, which could be very interesting.

Anyway, I really hope everything goes well. I would hate to see the franchise take another blow to its already disheartened fanbase. Well, here's to looking optimistic!

Episodes VII-IX, May the Force be with you.
  16. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

Yeah this is cool.

You are entitled to your opinion, but honestly this movie nor the prequels ruins the series, even if they were sub-par. My father grew up with star wars, he had all the action figures as a kid and owned all the VHS's as soon as he could, he watched them over and over again, now he owns them all now on DVD. He was ok with the prequels and even enjoys to watch the cartoon network clone wars show. So yeah, if your not a 40 year old man that watched them as a kid, you have no real claim that they ruined the series.
  17. Walrein

Walrein

I thought the Star Wars series was fine at 6 movies. Hell, I thought it was fine at 3.

Who knows, though. Maybe this'll turn out to be supermegaultra awesome.
  18. Vintage Books

Vintage Books

Well I don't know what the plots will be but they will either have to a) go forward to a time where luke, leia, han etc are dead and use a whole new cast of characters b) make it animated or c) use new actors to play old characters (which would be bad)
  19. Steamroll

Steamroll resident zombie
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

If you've seen Avatar and the Avengers, Disney can crank out a movie that isn't that kid friendly. I doubt they will be animated, that'd just be a slap in the face to the entire Star Wars saga. Although it can probably be pulled off well seeing how many awards the Cartoon Network show has gotten.

LucasFilm is writing the script currently, 7-9 has been planned since before the acquisition so Disney can make minor edits to the scripts if they feel. If there will be more movies THOSE will be primarily Disney influence with Lucasfilm consulting the entire process. Disney has the reputation to get a good director in for a movie.

The possibilities for the stories with 7 and beyond are definitely what should be the scary thoughts for fans. Like you said, there's so much open for them to do it's scary, and who knows where the hell they can go with the story.
  20. Acklow

Acklow

I used to be a diehard fan when I was like, 14. Now hearing this news I am thinking to myself, "WTF? There goes my childhood..."
  21. Django

Django
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Let Star Wars die pls
  22. religiousjedi

religiousjedi #ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

I think I have something to say about this... ^-^
  23. Baka Ki Eru Dogura

Baka Ki Eru Dogura

George Lucas has fallen into the dark side
  24. Thorns

Thorns

to be fair the original trilogy would have been really bad if lucas was in control of anything anyway. there's a more professional team of writers, animators, and other film crew people in general so i can't see the downside of this

unless we get another jar jar binks to make it kid friendly because if so i'm OUT
  25. NixHex

NixHex A new vice president erryday to keep me busy
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I've been dreading this for 15 years. I wasn't upset about the idea of prequels when I was young because there was no pre IV canon EU at the time (although the movies were largely a letdown), but my worries about an "Episode VII" are that they will nullify EU completely. If that's the case, then R.I.P. Grand Admiral Thrawn 1992-2014. You never know though, it could be brilliant.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)