Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Do you approve of J.J Abrams directing the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Leia still could be a jedi. All JJ Abrams said was that she chose to be a general rather than a jedi. That means she could have trained a bit prior to her decision or that she could still train on her own when she doesn't have to focus on her duties. I could definitely see a scene in Episode VIII where Kylo Ren storms a resistance base, Leia says some "I hoped I would never have to use this" line, and she pulls out a lightsaber and goes ham. Carrie Fisher has gotten into fantastic shape for these films (she looks even better than when she filmed VII), which supports that she will be doing some action scenes.

One thing I didn't get was that the light saber of Luke was blue in the Force Awakens, but in other media it is green!
The lightsaber used by Rey (And by Luke in episodes IV and V) was originally built by Anakin Skywalker on the eve of the Clone Wars.) After his training with Yoda, he built his own, green lightsaber used in episode VI. You don't see luke's lightsaber blade in episode VII, but it would be green.

EDIT: Literally just saw the earlier post answering this question. Still hopes this helps to clear it up!

anakin's force ghost is already hayden christensen
And before that it was some random nut, we don't know how that shit works, he coulda reassumed his evil self when he went bad again but it seems silly he'd never try to contact kylo after kylo started falling in love with him

Last edited:
One question I have left now is whether or not Kylo Ren died in the fight. I could have sworn Rey killed him and left him to die on that one piece of terrain but then other people told me that this is not true. They wouldn't really want to get rid of an important bad guy so fast would they?

One question I have left now is whether or not Kylo Ren died in the fight. I could have sworn Rey killed him and left him to die on that one piece of terrain but then other people told me that this is not true. They wouldn't really want to get rid of an important bad guy so fast would they?
I believe not. Remember when that super tall mangled alien guy (Forgot name but you know) told that other guy to grab Kylo to complete his training? I feel like they would have shown the tall alien's reaction if Kylo had actually died.

I believe not. Remember when that super tall mangled alien guy (Forgot name but you know) told that other guy to grab Kylo to complete his training? I feel like they would have shown the tall alien's reaction if Kylo had actually died.
Odd, I don't remember that bit...and I was focusing on the whole film for the entire time!

Leia still could be a jedi. All JJ Abrams said was that she chose to be a general rather than a jedi. That means she could have trained a bit prior to her decision or that she could still train on her own when she doesn't have to focus on her duties. I could definitely see a scene in Episode VIII where Kylo Ren storms a resistance base, Leia says some "I hoped I would never have to use this" line, and she pulls out a lightsaber and goes ham. Carrie Fisher has gotten into fantastic shape for these films (she looks even better than when she filmed VII), which supports that she will be doing some action scenes.
Like anyone would choose not to be a jedi. Still I hope your right but were that the case I think she would've been a bigger part in 7

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
"why isn't anakin's force ghost scolding kylo ren is this seriously SEVEN movies of anakin screwing up" was my biggest thought the day after I first saw 7.

the visual dictionary claims the force ghost entity shifts from anakin back to vader, whether this is actually canon is up for debate.

I have seen it theorized that Kylo Ren viewed Anakin pre-Vader and his return post-ROTJ as a weakness and ignored him; Kylo doesn't idolize Anakin Skywalker (ironic considering between the two of them there's enough whine to help Jesus feed the 5000), only Darth Vader. Still...... if he's been struggling with fully turning to the Dark Side you would expect in a moment where Kylo was Light-leaning, Anakin could've gotten through to him.
Also that Snoke had been preventing Anakin's force ghost from appearing to young!Kylo which seems Suspicious Snoke even had so much power to do that.. he would've had to have been very close by if so. I guess it could be like, Anakin!FG senses Kylo Ren's turning, tries to appear, Snoke's physically at the Jedi training place and blocks him, Luke goes away, Anakin!FG shows up to Luke once away from Snoke and says yoooo I can't manifest there and before Luke can get back Kylo/the Knights have destroyed the place and killed everyone. Maybe?

idk honestly it feels more like a plot hole than anything else. We'll see if 8 provides a reason why Anakin!FG either didn't appear or was ignored. Maybe he left the force ghost plane to be with Padme... idk.

I'm going to 7 again in a couple hours but I think Rey has more in common with Anakin in 1 than Luke in 4. All three were on desert planets but Anakin was a slave and Rey is sort of trapped there by the trader guy never giving her enough. Luke was with his aunt/uncle, Anakin had his mom and Rey has presumably nobody. Anakin and Rey can understand droid binary, Luke could only understand R2 in the X-Wing I think? It's sort of hard to tell how much Luke actually comprehends R2 versus guessing from his tones. All three are good pilots but Anakin and Rey are more tinkering sorts - Anakin in Watto's shop and Rey scavenging stuff to sell. Qui Gon sort of indicates Anakin is so good at pod racing because unbeknownst to him he's been using his force powers for prediction of his reflexes or w/e and I think there's enough of a case Rey may have been using hers all along without realizing it, or at least that's why she so quickly regains her abilities to do all the tricks (I believe she was being trained before Kylo's turn and had her memories wiped, possibly just by witnessing such a trauma). Luke has to be trained by Obi Wan before we see him do anything forcey. Fortunately Kylo Ren inherited all of Anakin's whiny emo kid genes and Rey seems to have all of Padme's level-headedness.

also Sphero BB-8 is p cool and fun, it's a bit difficult to master driving him cause he doesn't always turn at the same sharpness so the lack of consistency can be tricky plus knowing which way to steer him. Mine thinks "BB-8 go explore" means "turn my head to scout" lmao but yelling "IT'S A TRAP" and seeing him run is hilarious. I hope they add more VCs like "come here" and "turn right/left" right now it's a bit lacking.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saw the movie.

First response: Loved it, was fantastic. I came out saying: And THIS is what a Star Wars movie should look like!

That said, I do have my own gripes that arise from the desire to be critical about anything Star Wars, and I wouldn't say that it surpasses a New Hope or any of the original trilogy in terms of story telling.

First, what I'm fine with (thrilled with):

I'm fine with this being a totally new movie, and not a carbon copy of the original trilogy. Yes there are many parallels, but after Licas's crap we needed something that looks and feels like a Star Wars movie. That said, the plot differs where it counts-- the story direction, and the characters-- to make this a different story. Luke's story was about overcoming the Empire and freeing the universe. This movie, the first order is powerful yes, but the Resistance works for the establishment. Rey & Finn's story, I hope, will be about the rebirth of the Jedi. Offscreen Luke failed at this goal once, but it's that goal from the original protagonist that will shape the final achievements of the new generation.

The parallels with a New Hope are superficial (droid in dessert, blow up a Death Star, mentor character dies) and simply meant to create echoes that wonderfully tickle our sense of nostalgia and put us in mind to watch Star Wars. The motives, the goals, the characters themselves-- everything really important to the story going forward is different.

You could say "bad sith kills mentor character" in both 4 and 7, but at the personal/motivational level:

4: Long seperated master and apprentice, with a long and troubled history, seek out this confrontation and clash to settle things.

7: A father tries to reclaim his son, and sith apprentice fighting against the call of the light side affirms his own resolve by killing his father.

What is same is just on the surface, but the guts make it a different story-- the setting makes us feel "this is Star Wars" but we get a new and rich emotional story.

I'm fine with Ren losing to Ray, and both characters being way more powerful than their 4-5-6 counterparts. There is no reason why Rey could not be even stronger with the force than Luke was, and you could even make plot devices to tell us why. Besides, 4-5-6 are movies from a different era, with greater limitations to special effects, while one major criticism of 1-2-3 is that-- despite those movie set with a strong and established Jedi order, the Jedi don't really do much with the force (Yoda throws some rocks before giving up on the force and going Kung fu panda ). The force, and the powers of the Jedi are core to the fantasy of the story, so doing a lot more with more powerful characters can only be a good thing in my book. Rem can stop lasers and brain scan people-- sure!

At knee jerk reaction, I didn't like Ren losing to Ray, but it just works well considering the work the writers did to set it up. I mean, the guy was shot in the leg-- let's see how well you guys fight after your leg gets blasted by a laser. Not to mention all the emotional and mental baggage from killing his father and his own self-doubts. Seeing him fight that well and be that dangerous despite his handicaps re-enforces his menace if anything.

This handicap may seem simply convenient, but it's connected to a truly emotional confrontation, which makes it good. It means something to us that Chewie would lame the man who killed Han Solo-- and the fact that he was able to do that to a man who can stop lasers with his mind helps underscore for the viewers how important Han Solo is to Ben. Ben not being able to focus and protect himself there emphasizes the emotional storm in him from killing his own father.

The handicap Chewie gave to Ben can also be seen as a lasting effect of an important character that helps the protagonists escape a situation they otherwise couldn't escape. We already got to see a strong and focused Ren overpower Rey, and we know how strong he is. However, the fight's outcome (Ren losing) being affected by his mental state, character relations, and circumstance tells us the viewers something that we should have learned from Yoda's training-- that emotion, mind, focus matter greatly to Jedi. It's a breath of fresh air after the nothing and more nothing fights in the prequels. Ren losing also reinforces what Abbrams seems intent to tell us about this character: that he is a man both strengthened and weakened by his continuing inner struggles.

Again, superficial overlay between Ren and Vadar being bad guys in black masks, but the core parts of the character make them completely different people for us viewers.

It's not just Ben, I don't feel the need to see complete overlays between any of the old and new characters.

Anyway, tired-- will post more of my thoughts later.

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I liked how they updated a lot of the audio effects for this movie, especially the new laser sounds which seem a bit less intrusive if that makes any sense

Just watched the movie yesterday:

First and foremost: I love to have an english Jedi, this could be the only detail that din't got spoiled anywhere and I really glad that happened!

Onto the star of the film: No-last-name Rey
Her character was introduced in a weird way, on the theatrical release poster, I couln't tell who would be the Jedi, the black guy or the girl? but since Finn was the one holding the lightsaber I took it for granted. Ahhhh but when she started talking and that amazing british accent came to me I was overwhelmed!

Her development was really in a good pace (slow and steady), I liked how she started to show all her skills one by one while trying to save people she have ever seen in her life for a reason that she din't want to accept: to escape

Her first encounter with Kylo Ren (when Ren used his Jedi trick on her from far away) was really amazing and finally determined who will be the Jedi.

That was the moment when the movie really started: how she got the upper hand against Ren on the interrogatory (a Lord Sith wannabe, with basic Jedi and Sith training) was really amazing and showed her affinity with the Force.

And when she found out her power and started using them!!!! playing Jedi mindtricks on stormtroopers!? Sure! (cannot wait to see her moonjumping)

The last battle with Kylo Ren, imho, was kind off. I mean you ARE on the Dark Side, killing the people you care about it what actually give you powers! you have doubts? even Darth Vader have doubts! what Vader did with them? used them to make him stronger! You just killed your father, you just cut any strings with the light side of the force, you should now be a powerful (half trained and without a "Darth" name) Lord Sith!

(actually googled something about Kylo not having a Darth name, but that is in the now cofusing Lore departement. I mean want's everyone trained on the dark side of the force a Sith?)

Onto the final battle odding: I'm working in the assuption that this "new wave" stormtroopers have some basic sword training, but that is, basic. That Finn was able to battle one-on-one with a half trained (by a Jedi and wherever is this Supreme Leader) Jedi/Lord Sith and even hurt him was awful. That Kylo was hurt by a beam laser that he should have stopped because, again, you just killed your father, the grieve should have boostered your powers, is not a reason on why a basic trained, and second time wielder lightsaber Finn almost beat you. I give you that, almost, and to anyone that said that your injury was holding you back you just throwed him hard againts a tree using the force and knocked him out.

Now the superb amazing part: Rey and Kylo battle!

Ohhhhhhhhhh when Rey closed her eyes and "became one" with the force, showing that infinite peace in her face that many others Jedi masters before her showed, in that moment I knew, and Kylo may have too, that the Dark Side lost her definitely. That was a very climatic battle and without a doubt the best battle scene in the whole movie!

(my only concert: that no one losed any hand in any battle! in the first match againts Rey and Kylo I expected Rey to lose a hand and in the second match when Rey beated Kylo and Kylo's saber was throw in the air I HOPED that Kylo hand was throw with it. I mean is standard light side vs. dark side disarm procedure, oh well, maybe in the next episode....or was Darth Vader standard procedure?)

The scene when Rey depart on the Millenium Falcon is really symbolic, They just fused two of the most knowed lore piece on the entire franchise: the Jedi and the Millenium Falcon. Whe Rey get in the cockpit, oh man, the best scene and most meaninful part in the movie, even most than when she finally found Luke. imho would have been better if instead of returning his lightsaber she just stood there, staring at her Jedi master, both of then acknowledging that the force really work in mysterious ways.

Last edited:

FatCorgi

Banned deucer.
Episode VIII has been delayed to December 15, 2017. I've been told that this is possibly due to significant script rewrites and/or to prevent competition with Marvel movies.
Not so much the truth. Essentially, they wanted to win another Holiday Season / January box office run. Episode 7 managed to be the most successful movies pretty much Two years in a row with how they planned out The Force Awakens. Now, With 2016 we can only speak for January, since the movie leaves theaters at the end of the month. By pushing the movie back into December again, not only do they get the chance to go on about it being pushed back, but they gain momentum in capturing the same profits The Force Awakens saw. Just my thoughts on it.

I found a cool theory online that says Han activated Ben's lightsaber to kill himself. With Han dying at his own hands, Ben wasn't forced into a situation that would immediately solidify his turn to the Dark Side, and there is a chance to turn to the Light in future movies (that actually makes sense plot-wise).

I found a cool theory online that says Han activated Ben's lightsaber to kill himself. With Han dying at his own hands, Ben wasn't forced into a situation that would immediately solidify his turn to the Dark Side, and there is a chance to turn to the Light in future movies (that actually makes sense plot-wise).
My friend had theorized that but she had some nutty explanations for Han's actions so I didn't buy it completely. It would make that dope scene 10 times doper and I mean you know Ren's gonna go good at some point cuz he's a skywalker, a solo but you know, bloodwise, so it kinda makes sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)