1. Our third apparel sale is live. New design + reprint of the athletic design. Support us and get a shirt!
  2. Watch our World Cup of Pokemon Post-R1 Smogcast with some of Smogon's top players!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

SM OU Staraptor-Geninja Offense

Discussion in 'SM OU Teams' started by EJW, Mar 13, 2017.

1. EJW

EJW

This is one of my first teams I built for Sun and Moon after playing for a bit and its been pretty effective.

[​IMG]
    Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Battle Bond
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Water Shuriken
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - Hydro Pump

The first Pokemon I added was Ash Greninja because it tears through teams and if you can preserve it, then it will win most games if you can activate Battle Bond, no U-turn because I use this to sweep up late game more than I switch it in for a pivot, but I could see you changing out Ice Beam for it if you need the switch initiative. This is my main sweeper I would say because Dark Pulse 2HKO's almost everything, I just worry it has to do too much, Water Shuriken is my only priority, Ice beam is my coverage for a lot of mon's that otherwise can put in work on my team and Hydro Pump misses a lot and I need it to finish off a lot of kills so when I miss it really hurts my team so I thought about putting surf instead but its not quite as powerful.

[​IMG]
    Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Reckless
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Double-Edge
    - Close Combat
    - U-turn

The second mon I wanted to play around with is Staraptor, reckless raptor is very powerful and can break through a lot of things that wall Greninja, Brave Bird for the Grass types, Close Combat for the Dark types and bulky normal types running around, U-turn for initiative and Double-Edge for powerful stab if you need a mid-ground play. I wanted scarf over band because id rather have the extra speed rather than the extra power and I will be hitting most things super effectively anyways.

[​IMG]
    Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Steelworker
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Anchor Shot
    - Rapid Spin
    - Power Whip
    - Shadow Claw

My third mon is meant to deal with hazards and I love Dhelmise because it is very good at getting rid of hazards while still being a decent offensive threat and being a spin blocker even though most the time the opponent has a defog user anyways. Anchor shot give me some sort of switch initiative while also allowing me to deal with the Tapu's running around and a power steel move I didn't have yet, Power Whip is for the grass stab to deal with bulky waters that might sit there and wall my team, Shadow Claw is to deal with anything that resists my other moves like Alolan Marrowak. I chose assault vest because with my hp investment I beat other Greninjas that might otherwise be a problem, even protean choice specs Ice Beam only has a 12.5% to kill if he is timid and power whip destroys him.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Grassium Z
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Flash Cannon
    - Solar Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Lava Plume

At this point I noticed a pretty big Ice weakness on my team, even though Staraptor was scarfed Ice shard would beat it, Dhelmise isn't taking any physical Ice move and Greninja isn't meant to tank hits so I needed something that could eat these Ice moves and threaten them out easily and Heatran fit that nicely, I originally had a SpD Tran with rocks but I already had a decent SpD mon in Dhelmise and I didn't want to miss out on some kills because of a lack of power and I prefer to play offensively so I went with an offensive Tran. Flash Cannon for some Steel type stab which is always good mid-ground, Grassium Z Solar Beam to catch water types trying to switch in or wall, Earth Power for opposing Trans and Lava Plume for Fire stab and because I don't like Magma Storm.

[​IMG]
    Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Next I noticed that physically I don't have a lot to take hits so I needed something to deal with that and I really liked Rocky Helmet to give me natural chip on the physical threats to help wear them down for my mon's to sweep, but I didn't know who I wanted to hold the helmet and I ended up picking Garchomp because of his Rough Skin so I could get even more chip off. He also let me run a more offensive Tran because I could throw rocks on him instead of having to run a bulkier Tran. Then I decided to throw swords dance on him along with EQ and Dragon Claw to fit my offensive play style and stop me from getting walled by opposing physical walls. This mon is probably my most replaceable because besides getting rocks up and dealing with some physical mon's that I couldn't otherwise deal with easily he doesn't do too much although that's what I needed him to do so I've kept him around, but he does add another Ice weakness.

[​IMG]
    Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 1 Atk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Calm Mind

My last mon is my Tapu Koko, and he was another one that hasn't been doing too much work that I probably will end up replacing, I originally had a more pivot style build on him with volt switch instead of T-Bolt and U-Turn instead of Calm Mind but Thunderbolt lets me hit harder and if they don't have a ground type or their ground type is down it puts in a lot more work and I picked up Calm Mind because a lot of times if I'm forcing things out Id rather set up and maybe sweep rather than get initiative, but maybe that my aggressive style of play. Hp Ice hits the ground types that usually come in and Dazzling Gleam is just for stab fairy that I didn't have before.

Threats:

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine is a huge threat to my team just because of stab, with Ice and Ground stab it can kill any of my mon's since the only thing it doesnt hit super effective is my Geninja which is not a switch in to this monster

[​IMG]
    Shift Gear, Aura Sphere, Magearna can potentially sweep me. Because of its bulk it can live a lava plume without any investment easily and Aura Sphere does up to 68.2% so if my Heatran is low this thing then runs through my whole team with Soul-Heart Boosts.

[​IMG]
    This thing is very powerful and can put in a lot of work against my team especially under trick room, this thing can break both my walls easily and run through my team.

[​IMG]
    After a Quiver Dance it speed ties with my scarfed Staraptor and has a nice chance to OHKO me with Fiery Dance and if I lose the tie this thing can hurt my team pretty bad unless I get up rocks then Greninja can kill with Water Shuriken

[​IMG]
    Weavile is a threat because it get Ice Shard alone, and a choice banded Ice Shard really hurts my team outside of Heatran but he can run Low Kick and kill my Heatran with a life orb set and still run through my team, he is a monster.

Importable:
    Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Battle Bond
    Timid Nature
    - Water Shuriken
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - Hydro Pump

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Reckless
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Double-Edge
    - Close Combat
    - U-turn

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Steelworker
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Anchor Shot
    - Rapid Spin
    - Power Whip
    - Shadow Claw

Heatran @ Grassium Z
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Flash Cannon
    - Solar Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Lava Plume

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 1 Atk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Calm Mind
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. QuickBH

QuickBH

Kind of quit Sun and Moon, but I can say that this team looks pretty fun. I think a utility move that lets Tapu Koko be able to pull something off in one go is more useful than set up, as stuff like AV Tang etc kind of beat it with or without boosts, best to have something like Taunt or U-Turn, with Taunt you deal better vs Stall and Heatran doesn't have to be your only stall breaker. Hazards look good for your team, and Skarm allows you to handle a lot of bulky grounds you otherwise can't beat while allowing you to set up Spikes.

I can say that in this gen you typically don't want to think about being weak to a certain type, but rather to a certain mon, it's not necessarily being weak to Ice, but it's being weak to Mamoswine, if you understand what I'm saying.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)