1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Staraptor is teh best!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Basileus, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Basileus

Basileus

MY OU STANDARD TEAM :D

Staraptor @ Choice Band
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Close Combat
    - Quick Attack
    - U-turn
    NOTE; Because it is my favorite Pokemon it is in almost all of my teams. I know I should get rid of him, but this is my standard OU team and I really like him. ;__;

For now, his BB/CC/QA/U-T combo+Band makes him the powerful but fragile sweeper that helps me get out of bad situations with Scizor. I also love seeing peoples reaction when I do OHKOs on bulky pokes with BB. XD He is all around a great Pokemon but I just feel like there is something else this team is missing, and it isn't more Staraptors...

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Spore
    - Mach Punch
    - Focus Punch
    - Swords Dance

Spore/focus punch combo is lovely. But I have run into the problem where I sword dance a couple times and the opponent switches in a ghost. I would like to switch in bullet seed and give it technician but the toxic heal is really helpful and prevents burn's attack decrease. Meanwhile, mach punch will always be a viable move no matter what ability it has. :D

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 18 SAtk / 240 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Stealth Rock

Pretty self explanatory. I love this set, it counters all steel and fire types and most ground and rock types as long as air balloon holds on. Not to mention massive trolling with Will-O-Wisp attack decrease and stealth rocks entry hazard will leave you begging for mercy. >:3

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave

Someone to start the game off with, He can take at least one fire attack before I have to switch and he destroys rain teams. I set up leech seed and switch mostly, but if I am playing a rain team then spikes will help greatly. He is the Pokemon I start off with most often.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Scald
    - Toxic

Ice Beam/Scald= type coverage, ability/recover= massive trolololol, And toxic to force switch out and annoy other Jellicent! (I was thinking of putting taunt somewhere but where?) I think all around jellicent is a great Pokemon, he does good against rain teams, but I already have Ferrothorn for that.... Should I replace him all together? Also, if you are wondering why he is male, it is because I can't stand the female sprite (sorry ladies!)

Magnezone @ Magnet
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

For now, Magnezone is just a substitute until I find someone better. I like its massive Spa, and it has magnet because I don't like the lock into one move that specs has, and the life orb deterioration. I assume one of those would work better then my magnet but IDK which one. Besides, I really have no need for him in my team and I will change him for something else eventually. Thoughts?

Team overall: Great! Well... not that great, I am sure it needs improvement, I mean, seriously, my ladder rating for OU right now just hit below 1400! :X Also, I notice that my team is heavy on the steel type, is that a bad thing?

Al help is appreciated! Thanks! ^^
  2. ToastyTHT

ToastyTHT

In all honesty I see no reasn why not to run reckless on staraptor. 80 def doesn't warrent wasting reckless boosted bb, imo
  3. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Hello.

This is a very nice weatherless team, with great use of an underrated threat in Staraptor, so I'll give you props for that. Anyways, like I said, this team is very nice, but I think there are some flaws it has and hopefully my rate can iron them out. So, without further adu, let's get to the team! Alright, first things first, you should definitely change Intimidate to Reckless on Staraptor. If you didn't know, Reckless raises the power of moves that cause recoil, such as Brave Bird and Double Edge, Staraptors 2 STAB moves. Moving forward, I would change Brelooms EV spread to one of 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe over your current one. The aftermentioned EV spread gives Breloom an HP number divisible by 8 for Poison Heal, while the rest is thrown into Speed to outspeed uninvested base 100s. Staying on Breloom, I would like to recommend using Substitute and Seed Bomb over Mach Punch and Swords Dance, respectively. Substitute, obviously, helps you automatically get your Poison Heal activated, while Seed Bomb is for hitting bulky waters such as Jellicent and Slowbro. Up next, on Jellicent, you should be running a spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe over your current spread. This EV spread allows Jellicent to outspeed and burn Choice Band Scizor, mainly. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Good luck and have fun in your future endeavours!

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)
  4. Hypercut

Hypercut

Hello Basileus!
    Cool team here, I really like Breloom, is one of those Pokemon that can make the difference in a match, sleep a random Pokemon at the beginning of the match is always a disadvantage for the opponent, 5 vs 6 is the worst way to start a match, and very often can take you directly to win, because your opponent will have to think of an alternative strategy to stop you. I do not like, however, the spread you gave him, you do not need all those ev in hp, because the poison heal recover point is ideal for subpunch to 12 and 236 to the subseed, and in this case if you want to keep Focus Punch you should use Substitute> Mach Punch, because the latter is used more in the Technician. In addition, for more damage to the Rain, you should use as rightly said by Ciel, Seed Bomb> Swords Dance. The spread, which I recommend to you is the one Ciel mentioned: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe.

Ferrothorn is a great Pokèmon, capable of keeping well the Draco Meteor, and placing at least the Stealth Rock in extreme cases, also do a lot of pressure to Rain, is able to withstand the various Hydro Pump or electric moves as Thunder, and has excellent synergy with Jellicent, because Ferrothorn resists what Jellicent can not, and Jellicent the same. I especially like your idea to give him Thunder Wave, in order to paralyze and outspeed many Pokemon that could give you much trouble, in this case I suppose you want to take advantage of a Staraptor or Breloom. The spread is to be changed, you do not need all those EVs in Def, and I suggest you use 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spd, in order to better withstand special moves, of course, nature Relaxed and 0 IV if you want to use Gyro Ball, but obviously you have to cut Thunder Wave, Impish nature if you want to use Power Whip.

Jellicent as I said before, has a good synergy with Ferrothorn, but I think that in this team will create more problems than anything else. Unfortunately, you have a great weakness to hazards, the Stealth Rock will weaken Staraptor, and you can not keep it for long, being himself very weak in defense, and especially you can't make the best use of Brave Bird. For example, if you hope to OHKO 2 pokemon Staraptor should not have lost even 1 HP, otherwise you will make out just one and for other dangerous threat such as Keldeo or Terrakion, you will not have another. So I strongly suggest you replace Jellicent with Starmie that in addition to spin Hazard, also has access to Psyshock and it's 2HKO on Terrakion or Keldeo, and I suggest you use the defensive spread 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA.

Heatran in weatherless is probably not the best choice available, because it's like playing against Rain 5 vs 6, but at least can give you additional protection against Sunny. In your team there aren't Pokémon that have Roar, which is always a good thing because the statupper will be phazed, and the next Pokemon that will enter take indirect damages from Hazard that you place, then I suggest Roar> Will-o-Wisp/Earth Power, and the spread 248 HP / 252 Spd / 8 Spe.

Finally, I don't think that here you Magnezone is a great help. Against the steel you have Heatran and Lava Plume, and I think that's enough. You don't have a special attacker in the team, and it could be useful, I recommend Rock Polish Landorus, which if used well destroy the entire enemy team, a real war machine. I would recommend the classic spread 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP, but I would save you some EV to give him in HP, and have a little more Bulkyness. The spread is the following: 70 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe. With 188 Spe, after a Rock Polish, you outspeed Timid Venusaur under Sun, and consequently the whole metagame and you can have fun using Earth Power and Focus Blast.

Tl;Dr

Show Hide
    Breloom @ Toxic Orb | Poison Heal
    Adamant Nature | 12 HP/ 252 Atk / 244 Spe
    Spore | Substitute | Seed Bomb | Focus Punch

Heatran @ Leftovers | Flash Fire
    Calm Nature | 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
    Stealth Rock | Roar | Earth Power/Will-o-Wisp | Lava Plume

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
    Relaxed/Impish Nature | 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    Leech Seed | Spikes | Thunder Wave/Gyro Ball | Power Whip

Starmie @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
    Timid Nature | 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Scald | Psyshock | Rapid Spin | Recover

Landorus @ Life Orb | Sheer Force
    Modest Nature | 70 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
    Rock Polish | Earth Power | Focus Blast | Hidden Power [Ice]

Good Luck!
  5. Basileus

Basileus

Thanks so much guys! My team has been doing much better now, I got back over 1400. :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)