Staraptor

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
HALT, I AM StaREPTAR!

[Overview]

<p>With high power moves, an impressive base 120 Attack, and a decent base 100 Speed, Staraptor charges towards its opponents head first, hitting hard and fast. Receiving both the Intimidate and Reckless abilities, it can choose between providing support for the team, or going straight for the KO. Its weak defenses, further weakened by recoil damage or Close Combat defense drops, may make one think twice about using Staraptor, but with a bit of support and by picking its fights wisely, this black-feathered bird can blaze a path through opponents' teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Double-Edge
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
ability: Reckless
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Reckless boosting Staraptor's recoil moves, its Brave Bird and Double-Edge become 144 Base Power STAB moves. Brave Bird and Close Combat provide great coverage, while Double-Edge fills in the remaining gaps by hitting Thundurus and Zapdos hard. U-Turn provides Staraptor with a way to switch out while dealing damage, but it can be risky if Staraptor is blocked by the usage of Protect while using U-turn.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs allow Staraptor to hit as hard and fast as possible. Its Double-Edge is able to OHKO 4 HP Thundurus and 4 HP Latios, and with a Choice Scarf, it will easily be able to outrun them to execute its attacks. A Choice Band can be used instead of a Choice Scarf, trading speed for power and increasing Staraptor's OHKO list, but it will require a lot of support since its base 100 speed is just a bit too slow for the job. Choice Band Staraptor should also utilize a Jolly nature; even with Jolly, Staraptor can OHKO a 4 HP Garchomp with its recoil moves.</p>

<p>If being locked into one move is unfavorable, Staraptor can run a Normal or Flying Gem instead of a Choice item. This allows Staraptor to have more freedom of choice in terms of its moves, and allows it to run Protect over U-turn. Similarly to Choice Band Staraptor, it will need quite a bit of support to work well, due to the presence of many faster Pokemon in the metagame.</p>

<p>An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe allows the best use of Final Gambit. With 192 HP, Staraptor's Final Gambit delivers an OHKO against the likes of Metagross, Togekiss, Ferrothorn, Porygon2, and Latias, who can be difficult to KO normally. 204 Speed EVs give Staraptor 146 Speed, allowing it to always outrun Choice Scarf base 80 threats, such as Chandelure or Mamoswine. As Final Gambit becomes the main focus of the set, Intimidate is recommended over Reckless.</p>

<p>Using this Staraptor will be all about having it land its devastating attacks while finding a way to keep it alive for as long as possible. Users of Fake Out, Follow Me, or Helping Hand work very nicely in allowing Staraptor to survive longer or hit harder. Faster Sweepers, such as Latios and Terrakion, can also work by keeping the opponent under pressure with heavy hitting attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Tailwind Support
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Detect
item: Wacan Berry
nature: Adamant
ability: Intimidate
evs: 252 Atk / 140 SpD / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The goal of this set is to provide Intimidate and Tailwind support to its team; once it sets up, it can proceed to go on the offensive. Brave Bird and Close Combat provide great coverage, and differentiates Staraptor from Salamence, who is able to perform a similar role. Tailwind allows Staraptor to double the speed of its team for 3 turns, while Detect protects Staraptor from incoming attacks, and is not thwarted by Pokemon using Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>116 Speed EVs give 135 Speed, allowing Staraptor to ourun Ludicolo in the rain after using Tailwind. The rest of the EVs go into maximizing Staraptor's Attack with the remainder added into Special Defense. Investing in Special Defense instead of HP allows Staraptor to survive non-STAB Ice Beams or Blizzards from various Water-type Pokemon, such as Politoed and Ludicolo, while Staraptor can hold a Wacan Berry to survive Zapdos's Thunderbolts, provided Zapdos does not run Life Orb or am Electric Gem. A Flying Gem or Life Orb can be run instead if you feel confident that you can keep Staraptor away from the high voltage.</p>

<p>A partner that runs Fake Out increases Staraptor's chances of using Tailwind. Hitmontop can work very nicely, layering a second Intimidate upon the opponents, while Tailwind will allow it to outrun most Pokemon. Although Staraptor can hit hard, it does not last very long on the field. Be sure to have some heavy attackers on standby to back it up after it sets up Tailwind; many common Pokemon, such as Metagross, Chandelure, or Latios, make good teammates, but Tailwind can also open up the field for more interesting options, such as a Darmanitan or Dragonite.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Staraptor's movepool is quite shallow. Whirlwind stops Trick Room. Quick Attack gives Staraptor a priority move, which can finish off weakened opponents. Endeavor can be used at low HP as a surprise attack. With a Normal Gem, Staraptor can try to be a revenge killer while keeping Intimidate by using Retaliate; however, it is heavily situational. Lastly, FeatherDance further lowers the opponents' Attack stats. Most of the time, though, Staraptor will find it difficult to find space for these moves on its moveset.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Staraptor is quite frail and tends to take large amounts of recoil damage whenever it attacks, so it will go down quickly to powerful special attacks, or physical attacks assuming that they were not affected by Intimidate. However, landing said attack on Staraptor can be tricky due to its speed and power. Thundurus and Zapdos resist the combination of Brave Bird and Close Combat and can KO with Thunderbolt, but neither takes kindly to getting hit by Double-Edge. Metagross can take just about anything Staraptor can throw at it, and strike back hard with Meteor Mash, but has to watch out for Final Gambit. Bisharp's Attack gets boosted by Intimidate, and it can OHKO with Sucker Punch. Sableye can cripple Staraptor with priority Will-O-Wisp. Lastly, Swift Swim Pokemon have little to worry about if the rain is up, as they outrun and OHKO Staraptor without too much of a problem.</p>

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe Power Herb Sky Attack for OO, and maybe Endeavor, though both options struggle to find moveslots

Other than like, good job, i like how Staraptor looks usable now

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Maybe Power Herb Sky Attack for OO, and maybe Endeavor, though both options struggle to find moveslots

Other than like, good job, i like how Staraptor looks usable now
I'd put Power Herb Sky Attack in, if it wasn't for the fact that just using a Flying Gem Brave Bird is better.

I'll mention Endeavor though.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A particularly great peer of mine, suggested using him with Retaliate, bringing him in from the back and hitting something hard. With normal gem, I don't think there's much it doesnt OHKO. Just a thought for your OO

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
A particularly great peer of mine, suggested using him with Retaliate, bringing him in from the back and hitting something hard. With normal gem, I don't think there's much it doesnt OHKO. Just a thought for your OO
Hits like a Gem'd Draco Meteor (except physical), but the window of opportunity to use it is pretty narrow. A Gem Reckess Double-Edge/Brave Bird is slightly stronger, but Retaliate does allow you to keep Intimidate.

To be honest, it still sounds better than some of its current other option selections. So I think I can give it a mention.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Reckless Double-Edge hits harder than Retaliate.
A Gem Reckess Double-Edge/Brave Bird is slightly stronger, but Retaliate does allow you to keep Intimidate.
Although I think I forgot to mention the intimidate part when adding into the writeup, I'll go fix that.

After thinking about it a bit, I think I will separate the Final Gambit Scarf Staraptor and Reckless Choice Item Staraptor into separate movesets, since they play quite differently in style despite their similarities and talking about them in as part of one set feels like a mess to me. I'll go write up the change in a bit and see if it works or not.

not gonna lie, i don't see how final gambit would be worth anything, especially when you have to invest in HP instead of attack (why is it even the first set??)

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
not gonna lie, i don't see how final gambit would be worth anything, especially when you have to invest in HP instead of attack (why is it even the first set??)
It was the first set since it was the one I found most useful when trying out Staraptor, due to the ability to OHKO Togekiss and Metagross. Dispite the heavy investment into HP, Staraptor still had a usable attack stat.

It may be one of those things where if you don't expect it, the effects can be devastating. But having it written as a standard set kills all the surprise factor that made it work in the first place, making it a lot more difficult to actually hit anyone with it. It's been something on my mind for a while since I posted the write up.

I still think that Final Gambit is something worth mentioning somewhere in the write up, ubt I think in the end I may just swap things around such that Reckless choice is the main set, and Final Gambit is an alternative in the AC.

EDIT: made changes, moving Final Gambit to AC and Reckless Choice Staraptor as main for first set
Removed retaliate, since the Reckless Staraptor simply hits harder and isn't restricted to revenge killing (it's probably also better at revenge kills anyways)
Also changes the checks/counters since Double-Edge makes Thundurus and Zapdos not as safe.

JRank

Jonny
Make sure to not that Tailwind and Reckless are incompatible (Tailwind is Gen IV only), even though you have Intimidate as the ability just make sure it's clear. Put Detect > Protect on the Tailwind set for Imprison users, however rare they may be (I assume Reckless is breedable because you have Double-edge there too). Aerial Ace and Retaliate should go in OO, Aerial Ace isn't great but some people are crazy about accuracy, and Retaliate is a little gimmicky as mentioned but can still hit really hard.

After that's put in this is QC 1/2, get it written up!

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Make sure to not that Tailwind and Reckless are incompatible (Tailwind is Gen IV only), even though you have Intimidate as the ability just make sure it's clear. Put Detect > Protect on the Tailwind set for Imprison users, however rare they may be (I assume Reckless is breedable because you have Double-edge there too). Aerial Ace and Retaliate should go in OO, Aerial Ace isn't great but some people are crazy about accuracy, and Retaliate is a little gimmicky as mentioned but can still hit really hard.

After that's put in this is QC 1/2, get it written up!
-Doesn't the DW Staravia get Tailwind as one of its DW moves?
-Made the change for Detect > Protect
-Added back retaliate to OO
-All of Staraptor's attacks currently used are 100% accurate. Just how crazy are these people that they need a --% accurate attack on a moveset full of 100%? As such, I left out Aerial Ace. You're probably a lot better off taking the risk and slamming evade boosters with harder hitting attacks anyways

JRank

Jonny
-Doesn't the DW Staravia get Tailwind as one of its DW moves?
Yeah it does, haha, I had looked at Staraptor's Serebii page and didn't even think about Staravia, sorry.

All of Staraptor's attacks currently used are 100% accurate. Just how crazy are these people that they need a --% accurate attack on a moveset full of 100%? As such, I left out Aerial Ace. You're probably a lot better off taking the risk and slamming evade boosters with harder hitting attacks anyways
Yeah that's fine, for some reason I thought Brave Bird had 90% accuracy. (I was also trying to beef up OO but since BB is 100% accurate just leave it out xD)

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
even though double-edge makes thundurus and zapdos worried, i'd still leave them in as checks because they can take it out with their STAB electric moves

hey OP, just a note that if you want this GP checked, you need to post in the GP QUEUE.

[Overview]

<p>With high power moves, an impressive (or whatever adjective) base 120 Atk Attack, and a decent base 100 Speed, Staraptor charges towards its opponents head first, hitting hard and fast. With a choice between Intimidate and Reckless as its ability Receiving both the Intimidate and Reckless abilities, it can choose between providing support for the team, or going straight for the KO. Its weak defenses, further weakened by recoil damage or Close Combat defense drops, can make one feel that Staraptor never quite seems to be able to hit hard enough idk, i don't see how hitting hard enough is related to weak defenses. perhaps change this last part to "can make one think twice about Staraptor", but with a bit of support and by picking its fights wisely, this black-feathered bird can blaze a path through opponents' or "opposing" teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Reckless strengthening boosting preferential Staraptor's recoil moves, its Brave Bird and Double-Edge become 144 Base Power STAB moves. Brave Bird and Close Combat provide great coverage, while Double-Edge fills in the remaining gaps by hitting Thundurus and Zapdos hard. U-turn provides Staraptor with a way to switch out while dealing damage, but it can be risky if Staraptor runs into a Protect user while using U-turn.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs allow Staraptor to hit as hard and fast as possible. Its Double-Edge is able to OHKO 4 HP Thundurus and 4 HP Latios, and with a Choice Scarf, it will easily be able to outrun them to execute its attacks. A Choice Band can be used instead of a Choice Scarf, trading speed for power and increasing Staraptor's OHKO list, but it will require a lot of support since its 100 Base speed base 100 Speed is just a bit too slow for the job. It is also recommended to use a Jolly Nature instead, with a Choice Band. A Jolly Choice Band Staraptor should also utilize a Jolly nature; even with Jolly, Staraptor can OHKO a 4 HP Garchomp with its recoil moves.</p>

<p>If being locked into one move is unfavourable unfavorable, Staraptor can also run a Normal or Flying Gem instead of a Choice item. This allows Staraptor to have more freedom of choice on in terms of its moves, and allows it to run Protect over U-turn. Similarly to or "As with" a Staraptor with a Choice Band Staraptor, it will need quite a bit of support to work well, due to the presence of many faster Pokemon in the metagame.</p>

<p>An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe, allows the best use of Final Gambit. With 192 HP, Staraptor's Final Gambit delivers an OHKO against the likes of Metagross, Togekiss, Ferrothorn, Porygon2, and Latias, who can be difficult to KO normally are problematic for standard Staraptor. 204 Speed EVs give Staraptor 146 Speed, allowing it to always outrun Scarfed Base 80s Choice Scarf base 80 threats, such as..... As Final Gambit becomes the main focus of the set, Intimidate is recommended over Reckless.</p>

<p>Using this Staraptor will be all about having it land its devastating attacks while finding a way to keep it alive for as long as possible. Users of Fake Out, Follow Me,<comma> or Helping Hand work very nicely in allowing Staraptor to survive longer, or hit harder. Faster sweepers like , such as Latios or and Terrakion, can also work by keeping the opponent under pressure from with heavy hitting attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The goal of this set is to provide Intimidate and Tailwind support to the its team that it is on;<semicolon> once it sets up,<comma> it can proceed to go on the offensive. Brave Bird and Close Combat provide great coverage, and differentiates Staraptor from Salamence,<comma> who is able to perform a similar role. Tailwind allows Staraptor to double the speed of the its team for 3 turns after its usage , while Detect protects Staraptor from incoming attacks, and is not sealed off thwarted by Pokemon using Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>116 Speed EVs give 135 Speed, allowing Staraptor to ourun Ludicolo in the rain after using Tailwind. The rest of the EVs went go into maximizing Staraptor's Attack, with the remainder added into Special Defense. Adding into Investing in Special Defense instead of HP allows Staraptor to survive non-STAB Ice Beams or Blizzards from various Water-type Pokemon like , such as Politoed or and Ludicolo, allowing Staraptor to while Staraptor can hold a Wacan Berry to survive Zapdos's Thunderbolts, provided they do Zapdos does not run Life Orb or an Electric Gem. A Flying Gem or Life Orb can be run instead if you feel confident that you can keep Staraptor away from the high voltage.</p>

<p>A partner that runs Fake Out is appreciated to increase Staraptor's chances at getting off of using Tailwind. Hitmontop can work very nicely, as it layers on a second Intimidate upon the opponents, while Tailwind will allow it to outrun most Pokemon. Although Staraptor can hit hard, it does not last very long on the field. Be sure to have some heavy attackers on standby to back it up after it sets up Tailwind; good choices include....</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Staraptor's movepool is quite shallow. Whirlwind can be used to stop Trick Room. Quick Attack gives Staraptor a priority move to use , which can come in useful against threats such as.... Endeavor can be used at low HP as a surprise attack. With a Normal Gem, Staraptor can try to be a revenge killer, while keeping Intimidate by using Retaliate;<semicolon> however,<comma> it is heavily situational. Lastly,<comma> FeatherDance can be used to further lower the attack of the opponents. A lot of the times Most of the time, though, Staraptor will find it difficult to find space for these moves on its movesets.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Staraptor is quite frail, and tends to take large amounts of recoil damage whenever it attacks, so it will go down quickly to powerful special attacks, or physical attacks assuming that they were not affected by Intimidate. However, getting that landing said attack to take down on Staraptor can be tricky with the threat of due to its speed and power.</p>
<single paragraph>
<p>
Thundurus and Zapdos resist the combination of Brave Bird and Close Combat, and can KO with Thunderbolt, but don't take neither takes optional kindly to getting hit by Double-Edge. Metagross can take just about anything Staraptor can throw at it, and strike back hard with Meteor Mash, but has to watch out for Final Gambit. Bisharp's Attack gets boosted by Intimidates,<comma> and it can OHKO with Sucker Punch. Sableye can cripple Staraptor with priority Will-O-Wisps. Lastly, Swift Swim Pokemon in the rain have little to worry about if rain is up optional, as they can outrun and OHKO Staraptor without too much of a problem.</p>

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Changes made.
Although I left my original line regarding the Final Gambit statement, since not all of those are necessarily difficult for the Standard Staraptor to handle. Sometimes you just want to have something off the board as soon as possible, it stops Porygon2 from setting up Trick Room, and stops Togekiss from performing any support with Follow Me. Other times, it's just a Pokemon that your other Pokemon have troubles KOing, and while Staraptor can handle the Pokemon with its regular attacks, it probably won't get the opportunity to do so (Ferrothorn and Latias).

Also, I'll keep in mind about the GP Queue next time, as I was unaware of it's existence before.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>With high power moves, an impressive base 120 Attack, and a decent base 100 Speed, Staraptor charges towards its opponents head first, hitting hard and fast. Receiving both the Intimidate and Reckless abilities, it can choose between providing support for the team, or going straight for the KO. Its weak defenses, further weakened by recoil damage or Close Combat defense drops, may make one think twice about using Staraptor, but with a bit of support and by picking its fights wisely, this black-feathered bird can blaze a path through opponents' teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Reckless boosting Staraptor's recoil moves, its Brave Bird and Double-Edge become 144 Base Power STAB moves. Brave Bird and Close Combat provide great coverage, while Double-Edge fills in the remaining gaps by hitting Thundurus and Zapdos hard. U-Turn provides Staraptor with a way to switch out while dealing damage, but it can be risky if Staraptor is blocked by the usage of Protect while using U-turn.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs allow Staraptor to hit as hard and fast as possible. Its Double-Edge is able to OHKO 4 HP Thundurus and 4 HP Latios, and with a Choice Scarf, it will easily be able to outrun them to execute its attacks. A Choice Band can be used instead of a Choice Scarf, trading speed for power and increasing Staraptor's OHKO list, but it will require a lot of support since its base 100 speed is just a bit too slow for the job. Choice Band Staraptor should also utilize a Jolly nature; even with Jolly, Staraptor can OHKO a 4 HP Garchomp with its recoil moves.</p>

<p>If being locked into one move is unfavorable, Staraptor can run a Normal or Flying Gem instead of a Choice item. This allows Staraptor to have more freedom of choice in terms of its moves, and allows it to run Protect over U-turn. Similarly to Choice Band Staraptor, it will need quite a bit of support to work well, due to the presence of many faster Pokemon in the metagame.</p>

<p>An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe allows the best use of Final Gambit. With 192 HP, Staraptor's Final Gambit delivers an OHKO against the likes of Metagross, Togekiss, Ferrothorn, Porygon2, and Latias, who can be difficult to KO normally. 204 Speed EVs give Staraptor 146 Speed, allowing it to always outrun Choice Scarf base 80 threats, such as Chandelure or Mamoswine. As Final Gambit becomes the main focus of the set, Intimidate is recommended over Reckless.</p>

<p>Using this Staraptor will be all about having it land its devastating attacks while finding a way to keep it alive for as long as possible. Users of Fake Out, Follow Me, or Helping Hand work very nicely in allowing Staraptor to survive longer or hit harder. Faster Sweepers, such as Latios and Terrakion, can also work by keeping the opponent under pressure with heavy hitting attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The goal of this set is to provide Intimidate and Tailwind support to its team; once it sets up, it can proceed to go on the offensive. Brave Bird and Close Combat provide great coverage, and differentiates Staraptor from Salamence, who is able to perform a similar role. Tailwind allows Staraptor to double the speed of its team for 3 turns, while Detect protects Staraptor from incoming attacks, and is not thwarted by Pokemon using Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>116 Speed EVs give 135 Speed, allowing Staraptor to ourun Ludicolo in the rain after using Tailwind. The rest of the EVs go into maximizing Staraptor's Attack with the remainder added into Special Defense. Investing in Special Defense instead of HP allows Staraptor to survive non-STAB Ice Beams or Blizzards from various Water-type Pokemon, such as Politoed and Ludicolo, while Staraptor can hold a Wacan Berry to survive Zapdos's Thunderbolts, provided Zapdos does not run Life Orb or am Electric Gem. A Flying Gem or Life Orb can be run instead if you feel confident that you can keep Staraptor away from the high voltage.</p>

<p>A partner that runs Fake Out is appreciated to increases Staraptor's chances of using Tailwind. Hitmontop can work very nicely, layering a second Intimidate upon the opponents, while Tailwind will allow it to outrun most Pokemon. Although Staraptor can hit hard, it does not last very long on the field. Be sure to have some heavy attackers on standby to back it up after it sets up Tailwind; many common Pokemon, such as Metagross, Chandelure, or Latios, make good teammates, but Tailwind can also open up the field for more interesting options, such as a Darmanitan or Dragonite.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Staraptor's movepool is quite shallow. Whirlwind stops Trick Room. Quick Attack gives Staraptor a priority move, which can be useful in finishing off weakened opponents. Endeavor can be used at low HP as a surprise attack. With a Normal Gem, Staraptor can try to be a revenge killer while keeping Intimidate by using Retaliate; however, it is heavily situational. Lastly, FeatherDance can be used to further lowers the opponents' Attack stats. Most of the time, though, Staraptor will find it difficult to find space for these moves on its moveset.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Staraptor is quite frail, and tends to take large amounts of recoil damage whenever it attacks, so it will go down quickly to powerful special attacks, or physical attacks, assuming that they were not affected by Intimidate. However, landing said attack on Staraptor can be tricky due to its speed and power. Thundurus and Zapdos resist the combination of Brave Bird and Close Combat and can KO with Thunderbolt, but neither takes kindly to getting hit by Double-Edge. Metagross can take just about anything Staraptor can throw at it, and strike back hard with Meteor Mash, but has to watch out for Final Gambit. Bisharp's Attack gets boosted by Intimidate, and it can OHKO with Sucker Punch. Sableye can cripple Staraptor with priority Will-O-Wisp. Lastly, Swift Swim Pokemon have little to worry about if the rain is up, as they can outrun and OHKO Staraptor without too much of a problem.</p>

GP Approved (2/2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)