Staraptor's Revenge(My First RMT)

STARAPTOR'S REVENGE

A long time ago, Smogonites decided that Staraptor isn't that much of a threat in OU, yet UU can't handle it well enough. Thus, they decided to banish Staraptor to BL, a place inhabited by only 4 pokemon. For a long time, Staraptor bore with the teasing of his friends from OU. However, one day, he just had it.
"Staraptor, you got that big hairdo but Bouffalant's is much cooler!"
Staraptor, being compared with a pokemon from RU? Fury built up within Staraptor. He combed his amazing hairdo slowly, plotting a debut at the same time.

Hey guys, this is my first RMT. For a looooooong time, I have thought that Staraptor was one of the coolest pokemon. Just look at him! That is why I wanted a team built around it. This isn't my team(credits to the team builder), but I had a lot of fun playing with it. After playing with this team for awhile, I thought that it was doing pretty well. But not well enough. I needed advice. By the way, the layout of my RMT is based on Gary2346's RMT Return of the Landshark so credits to Gary2346.

TEAM LAYOUT

INDIVIDUAL ANALYSIS

Changes made in RED.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-T, always overshadowed by its brother Landorus as an attacker. Although it has a monstrous 145 attack stat, its disappoint 91 speed lets it down more often than not. However, possessing Intimidate, Stealth Rock and U-turn, Landorus-T works as a great defensive pivot. Well, it does have decent 89/90/80 defenses and that MONSTROUS 145 attack.

So, 252 HP and 252 Def maximizes its physical defenses. Coupled with Intimidate, Landorus-T can switch in on physical attacks really well. Leftovers gives it a reliable recovery to recover back the damage he takes too. Earthquake is a STAB physical move, hitting really hard while U-turn gives me momentum. HP Ice is for extra coverage to hit other flying-types and some grass-types, while making use of the decent 105 SpA Landorus-T has.

Basically, I send in Landorus-T on physical attacks it can take with ease then set up Stealth Rocks. After setting up Stealth Rocks, I use one of the 3 attacking moves I have depending on the situation. What? You thought Landorus-T can't handle punches? Well, you're wrong!​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Ahh, Rotom-W. An old favourite. With a great Electric/Water typing, coupled with Levitate, Rotom-W is only hit by one-type for super-effective damage. Specially defensive Rotom-W is a great Tornadus-T check. Rotom-W is also my counter to rain teams, being able to tank Surfs and Hydro Pumps well before putting a dent into Water-type pokemon with Volt Switch.

Volt Switch prevents me from being set up on, and lets Rotom-W act as a useful pivot. STAB Hydro Pump and Volt Switch also does decent damage while providing coverage against Rock, Ground, Water and Flying-type pokemon. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers that think it is safe to switch into Rotom-W, while providing constant damage against other pokemon. Pain Split is Rotom-W's only reliable method of recovery, holding back Tornadus-T for a longer period of time.28 SpA EVs allow Rotom-W to OHKO 252 HP Gliscor with Hydro Pump, which could otherwise Toxic stall Rotom-W. The rest of the EVs are invested into HP and SpD, making Rotom-W as specially bulky as possible.

Rotom-W is so good as a defensive pivot and provides me with much need momentum. Well, I guess that is what you'd get from a washing machine high on caffeine.​

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

Well, what can I say about Forretress? Just look at that spinning nutcase! If there is one thing my Staraptor hates, it is that pointy little stone. Stealth Rock. That is what Forretress is for. Spinning away hazards while taking damage like no other.

Spikes is for Forretress to set up extra entry hazards when possible. Volt Switch allows me to gain momentum whether the opponent switches out or not. Earthquake gives me a coverage move to hit unsuspecting Fire and Steel-type pokemon. Then, there is the most important move, Rapid Spin. It is to spin away the entry hazards on my side of the field for my Staraptor to come in safely. As Forretress is naturally physically bulky, Max HP and SpD EVs maximizes Forretress' bulk on the special side. The extra 4 EVs go into Def for obvious reasons.

Forretress is a great pokemon loved by many since G/S. Sporting a great Bug/Steel typing and excellent defenses, it is certainly the best pokemon for the job.​

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Boasting a massive 134 attack stat and above average defenses, it doesn't take one long to know that a Choice Band will work really well on Tyranitar. With a Choice Band equipped, Tyranitar reaches an astounding 604 attack stat, ready to crush anyone who dares to stand in its way.

Crunch, Stone Edge, Superpower. All these moves give Tyranitar coverage. Stone Edge is capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing those that lack resistance to it and even some that do. Crunch allows Tyranitar to hit those pesky Psychic-types and Ghost-types. Superpower is to deal crushing blows to Steel-types and those who resist Tyranitar's STAB moves. Pursuit, is to trap and kill those Psychic-types that are no inclined to staying in. Maximizing Tyranitar's attack gives it maximum firepower while 76 Spe EVs allow Tyranitar to outspeed uninvested pokemon with base 70 Speed. The rest of the EVs are thrown into HP to give Tyranitar as much bulk as it can to tank more hits, as Tyranitar is relatively slow.

Tyranitar is also my main check to weather teams. It can come in on Sun and Rain, hoping to crush the opponent's plans with Sand. It is indeed a very valuable member.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Latias, oh Latias. A previous Uber due to Soul Dew, an automatic Calm Mind. However, things are different in OU this time. Soul Dew is banned, forcing Latias to resort to Life Orb. That doesn't mean it is any less of a threat though!

This is a standard offensive Latias set. Psyshock hits Fighting and Poison-types like Keldeo and Terrakion hard. Oh, and Chansey too. Draco Meteor is to bring about massive draconic destruction all over the field. However, Latias does have to go back into meditation after that. HP Fire is for extra coverage against Scizor and Ferrothorn. After bringing about utter destruction to the place, Latias does get a little worn down and hurt. That is why Recover helps Latias to get back to pink health. The EV spread is pretty simple. Maximum SpA and Spe gives it godlike destruction abilities while the rest go into HP. Timid nature is important to outspeed all the Fighting-types that sit at base 108 Speed, as well as Thundurus-T, Landorus, and all the Pokemon on base 100 Speed.

Latias is a great fit into many teams. I don't see why I wouldn't use it!​

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- U-turn

And here is what you have all come to see. Staraptor, the revenge killer. Reckless Staraptor is such a beast with Brave Bird and Double-Edge combination. Close Combat and U-turn just makes it better. Staraptor is so good, more often than not, I have seen it OHKOing pokemon from over 50% HP.

Brave Bird hits many pokemon hard except for Rock, Electric and Steel-types. But that is just handled nicely with Close Combat and Double-Edge. U-turn is equally good as Staraptor can take advantage of its speed to act as a scout. I have considered using Return over Double-Edge but Reckless Double-Edge can't be missed right? Max Attack and Speed EVs are for obvious reasons.

Although Choice Scarf Staraptor is weaker than the Choice Band set, it works great as a revenge killer that still hits really hard.​

FINAL WORDS

Well, that is the end of my RMT. I hope you guys liked it and please advice me on how to improve my team!​

Importable :
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- U-turn

Surprise no one has replied to this yet... The team looks solid but you have three pokemon weak to Ice and personally I don't see any reason to run offensive Latias over offensive Latios unless it's a calm mind set, speaking of which, I personally suggest running Calm Mind on Latias seeing as your team lacks a setup sweeper, something I feel EVERY team needs. Just my two-sense.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello, and very cool team that you have going on there, I really like the use of Staraptor, as it is not seen very much in this OU metagame, and can be a huge surprise to the thousands of OU players out there, so I would like to rate this team and somehow make it much better than it is currently. Anyways, enough with my rambling, it's time to rate this team, so let's get right down to it. Okay, first things first, I don't spot any real huge weaknesses in this team, so that means this team has some very good synergy, despite the triple weakness to Ice, previously stated by the above poster. Anyways, I'm going to suggest some changes in the EV and moveset department, some small changes that can go a long way in this team. The changes may include changing a Pokemon all together, so consider these changes as I give them to you. Okay, to start things off, I suggest changing Forretress' Eathquake in favour of Toxic Spikes, a very useful weapon in it's defensive arsenal. As you may know, Toxic Spikes poisons every Pokemon that switches in, bar Steel types, Flying types and Levitaters. Another plus for using Toxic Spikes is that you can rack a lot of damage with Stealth Rock, Spikes and Sandstorm that if a Pokemon dares to switch-in on it, it's going down quickly. Moving on, you should use a Calm Mind set on Latias over your current one. My reasons for this were already covered by the aove poster, every team needs a Set-Up sweeper, which this team clearly lacks. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped just a little. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Latias @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Levitate

Nature: Timid - EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)
`

Mamoswine pretty much runs over this whole team, except Rotom-W. I'd suggest something with Mach Punch or Bullet Punch. Scizor might do well on this team, as might Lucario, or maybe even Breloom if you run it Jolly.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi

Alright, now the use of Staraptor is probably one of th coolest things I have seen in awhile. I remember I used it awhile back and it did quite a lot of damage to weakened teams. It is fast enough to be successful and powerful enough with Reckless too. I see how your team use that to wear stuff down with U-Turn and SandStorm. For the most part this is a solid team, but there are a few things I would like to change up a bit. Forretress can abuse a Physically Defensive set much better, and it really would suit the team better. Forretress does a fine job at walling Terrakion, Mamoswine, Haxorus and other threats with ease. A different spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef Relaxed 0 Spe IV would do just fine. Still being able to absorb weaker special attacks like Scald. Forretress gains a lot from a 0 IV as well. It means it can possibly get the final say in hazards, and make sure your opponents will also be kept spun away. My final nitpick is using Thunder Wave on Rotom-W so you can manage to stop Volcarona from sweeping you, as you cannot simply beat it with Hydro Pump alone, especially in sun. You can still cripple things with Thunder Wave like Latios, would then can easily be Pursuit trapped.

Good luck!

Some changes have been made. I changed Latias' set into a Calm Mind set. Thanks for the suggestions. I am still trying out PDC's changes.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there,

So this is a really solid team, and little needs to be changed. It seems like this teams biggest weakness seems to be opposing base 100 Pokemon. Volcarona is probably the biggest threat to your team at the moment. However, Dragonite and Salamence also look threatening if Landorus-T gets worn down. Landorus-T is the major Physical Wall for your team and without reliable recovery he can get worn down pretty fast, so I will attempt to take some pressure off of him with my changes. So to start, I would heavily suggest making Landorus-T a Impish Nature. This at least gives Landorus-T some more bulk, helping it sponge hits from Pokemon like Dragonite and Salamence. To also help with physical attackers in general, and take some pressure off of Landorus-T, I would definitely use PDC's suggestion of Physically Defensive Forretress. Forretress is a fantastic physical pivot and will give your team some more Physical bulk overall. I would also opt for Gyro Ball > Earthquake on Forretress. Heatran isn't very threatening to your team, and Gyro Ball gives Forretress a reliable STAB to hit with, limiting its setup bait potential. To help with your Volcarona weakness I would recommend, like PDC did, using Thunder Wave on Rotom-W. This limits Volcarona's, and other sweepers, sweeping potential and leaves them easily revenged by other Pokemon on your team. Anyways, cool team gl.

Gimmick

Electric potential
Hey buddhism!~

The synergy here is awesome, so all I can really offer are a couple EV/move nitpicks.

Without a ghost type to spinblock hazards, Forretress's 5 layers become a little much. Since your team forces many switches, I'd definitely keep Spikes; but Toxic Spikes aren't that great in the current metagame where immunities are common. Tentacruel / Amoonguss / Toxicroak / Venusaur all can just come in and absorb them anyway--and although they're not on every team, they're still relatively common. In place of Toxic Spikes, try out Gyro Ball (as dragonuser said). It'll allow you to hit Dragons that your Forretress otherwise cannot touch and severely weaken Gengar to the point where you'll be able to spin against Deo-Gar teams. Lastly, Forretress becomes the opposite of set-up fodder. Boosting Speed will only boost your Gyro Ball's power.

Question: What does Landorus-T's nature do? Unless Adamant without any EVs in Atk gives you a certain kill, definitely go with dragonuser's suggestion of Impish. Switching into Terrakion is something a Pokemon can only dream of; unless of course its name is Landorus-T. Impish greatly increases your def to a point where not even a CB Stone Edge can 2HKO upon switch-in.

Next, I can see Venusaur being a big problem since your dedicated special walls take SE damage. HP Fire variants can run through Forretress while HP Ice ones can easily deal with Staraptor/Latias/Landorus-T. Most Venusaur that carry HP Fire also have Sludge Bomb to hit Dragons, so Latias and Staraptor aren't entirely safe. Without any SAtk investment, Latias can be depressingly weak without a CM boost, even unable to OHKO Venusaur after SR + 3 layers of Spikes IN SUN:

4 SpAtk Latias Hidden Power Fire in Sunshine vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Venusaur: 54.97% - 64.9% (2 hits to KO)

This gives Venusaur a Growth and essentially a sweep if TTar is down. Since your team is bulky offense, Venusaur can take any one hit from any member of your team (except Staraptor) and get up a Growth. To provide an instant fix to this, change your Latias back to the LO Tank. With the right EVs, it can always survive a +2 Modest Sludge Bomb and OHKO Venusaur back with a Psyshock or HP Fire. This also makes sure Venusaur cannot set up on Latias at all. And I disagree with the above posts--not every team needs a set-up sweeper. There are other ways to take advantage of good positions, like forcing switches or hitting a switch-in hard. Latias also helps tremendously against Sun and Rain teams since it provides so much damage with its powerful Draco Meteors while resisting moves from commonly-seen Pokes like Keldeo. Finally, it adds a hard-hitting 'mon on the special side, which can be very useful in providing a ton of pressure. Here's the set:
(F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Psyshock

Psyshock is needed to OHKO Venusaur, but it also helps against Terrakion and Keldeo (well, it's also a STAB that doesn't lower your SAtk). HP Fire makes sure you don't get trapped by Scizor and hits Ferrothorn pretty hard, but Surf makes sure a weakened TTar can't trap you and hits Heatran for good damage. Those 112 EVs allows you to live a +2 Modest Sludge Bomb if you ever need to, so don't be afraid to send Latias in (unless it took prior damage).

And that's about all I got. Good luck!

Summary of Changes

• change Toxic Spikes to Gyro Ball
    • change Adamant to Impish
    • change to LO Tank
      • Set:
        Latias (F) @ Life Orb
        EVs: 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spd
        Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
        - Draco Meteor
        - Surf / Hidden Power [Fire]
        - Recover
        - Psyshock

Mamoswine pretty much runs over this whole team, except Rotom-W. I'd suggest something with Mach Punch or Bullet Punch. Scizor might do well on this team, as might Lucario, or maybe even Breloom if you run it Jolly.
Mamoswine lacks the speed to effectivly sweep this team. and breloom is walled by staraptor and latias

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)