Staraptor's Revenge

Staraptor's Revenge
Ever since Diamond and Pearl came out I had loved Staraptor. I had used it on my in-game team and when I started competitive battling I knew I needed to make a team focused around him. So I did just that. This team is kinda old because I stopped playing competitively for a while but I'm back on the scene. Don't worry I just tested out this team some and it still works wonders. Since it is old I won't have a team building process. Sorry. But lets get in-depth with each pokemon and why I chose them.

Staraptor @ Life orb
Ability: Reckless
EV's: 4 H p / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
-Brave Bird
-Close Combat
-Roost
-Double Edge
Description: Staraptor is the main focus of my team. He is an excellent sweeper. Life orb helps me switch between brave bird and close combat. His ability, reckless, boosts his brave bird enough I decided to go with a jolly nature to helps outspeed. Staraptor has excellent coverage and hits things extremely hard with either OHKOing or 2HKOing most pokemon. It's funny because not many people see Staraptor as too big of a threat so noone really uses him even though he is an excellent pokemon. However, I never really find myself using roost or double edge too often. Any suggestions there?

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA -Atk)
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power Grass
-Dragon Pulse
Description: I love this set to death. It is my favorite Heatran set and I have used in many of my other teams. I use it so much because it's so reliable. The high HP helps it take hits and the modest nature lets it destroy the enemy. Earth power and fire blast were obvious, standard choices. Then dragon pulse lets me block those dragons then kill them. It also allows me to get opposing heatrans (with balloons) back on the ground. HP grass is actually extremely handy. A normal gastrodon switch into heatran now pays the price. Heatran comes in handy knocking out physical walls with his special attacks. Overall this set is extremely excellent and is here to stay. I will not be making any changes!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def -SpA)
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Thunder Wave
-Power Whip
Description: Really just a standard lead to set up spikes and stealth rocks. Is also good in switching into attacks then countering with power whip. This set is also able to cripple huge threats by using thunder wave. Allowing Staraptor to come in and finish the job. Overall this is just a standard Ferrothorn set, not much to it, but it works well. I am open to suggestions but I see no gaping holes in this set.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EV's: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def -Atk)
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Toxic
Description: Yep. You guessed it there's a fire, water, grass core in this team. That was actually completely unintentional. I noticed it right before I made this post. Anyways, Vaporeon provides as an excellent wall and has great synergy with Heatran and Ferrothorn. She also has wish support just in case Staraptor is in need. Toxic also allows it to cripple threats by stalling it out by switching between protect and scald. Vaporeon has come in handy being able to check most pokemon that pose a threat to this team. Overall, a pretty standard set and again I am open to suggestions but I see no major problems with it.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Relaxed (+Def -Spe)
-Gyro Ball
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes
-Stealth Rock
Description: Once again, a pretty standard set. I use this set a lot. He provides as a nice rapid spinner to get rid of the stealth rocks that severely cripple Staraptor. He also provides as a back up stealth rocker and can set up toxic spikes to cripple the team even more. Gyro ball is there just to get more damage off when I don't need him any more. Overall, he has helped this team a lot by getting rid of hazards and setting up his own. I am not really open to suggestions on this set because I like it and it is fairly necessary for the team but I will take them into serious consideration.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Signal Beam
-Hidden Power Ice
Description: This set is awesome! It has near perfect synergy with Staraptor. This set can switch in on electric attacks for Staraptor and Staraptor can switch in on ground attacks. Thunderbolt is fairly standard but I did choose it over Thunder because there is no rain on this team so it seemed more reliable. Volt switch is to get out of a tough spot. Signal beam is for coverage. And HP Ice is to hit Landorus, Gliscor, Donphan, etc. Jolteon is an awesome pokemon and can just wreck through teams when put together with Staraptor. I'm not really open to suggestions on this one but is there an alterante for signal beam (I never really use it).

Please help me out by rating this team. It is already pretty good but I know it can be better if some changes are made. I look forward to seeing what kind of feedback I will get. Thank you!

Your biggest problem appears to be that you have no fighting resistances, a big issue with Breloom running rampant. Also you have Stealth Rock on here twice. Thus I suggest you replace Forretress with one of the following:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Nature: Adamant
-Earthquake
-Shadow Punch
-Dynamicpunch
-Ice Punch

You get a fighting immunity, a Terrakion counter, and a spinblocker. Toxic Spikes does not help your team much since you have Toxic and Thunder Wave anyway.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpA
Nature: Brave
-Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Psychic
-U-turn

While Jirachi is neutral to Fighting, every common Fighting-type in OU is hit very hard by Psychic. For other opponents, you can drive people mad with ragequits with Body Slam + Iron Head, giving you another source of paralysis support to make Staraptor's job easier. U-turn gives additional coverage and forms a VoltTurn core with Jolteon.

Take your pick; I think either one will benefit your team.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Gerdy! Staraptor is a really cool Pokémon, and it's awesome to see people trying to use it since reckless Brave Bird takes a dump on the entire tier alongside Close Combat. Very cool team!

It seems to me, though, that Forretress and Ferrothorn on the same team is a bit redundant. Not only that, but you have a pretty big weakness to Terrakion. It's banded set can at least 2HKO your entire team, and the Scarf set out-speeds everything and can clean up quite easily with Close Combat late-game. This is mostly due to your lack of a fighting resist and no Scarfer. Terrakion isn't the only one. DragMag teams that have Scarf Salamence can easily remove both Ferrothorn and Forretress, forcing you to use Heatran to absorb blows, and he has no form of reliable recovery, and can be killed by Specs Latios with Surf. Both of these problems can be dealt with, though, so don't worry!

The first thing you should change is to replace Forretress with Landorus-T. Landorus-T doesn't give a fuck about Terrakion's Close Combats, which makes him a great addition to your team. Not only that, but you can put Stealth Rock on Landorus-T so that Ferrothorn can opt for Leech Seed instead, which is a much more valuable move to use, since he really appreciates the ability to recover off damage. If you'd rather that Ferrothorn have it, then Landorus-T can run Knock Off as its fourth move, which is a really cool and unexpected move to have (you can also go for HP Ice to beat other Landorus-T, but I'm not a big fan).

Finally, I don't think Jolteon is doing much for your team other than being a pivot. Instead, I think you should try Choice Scarf Thundurus-T. Thundurus-T is essentially a better Jolteon, since it has way more special attack, and the perk of having Focus Blast to knock opposing Ferrothorn to kingdom-come. It also allows you to have some sort of Choice Scarf user, and gives you an offensive check to things like +1 Gyarados, Dragonite, and Salamence. It also can run U-turn if you still want the ability to hit foolish Celebi coming in thinking they can wall you.

These changes make you pretty weak to Ice, though, so make sure you keep Thundurus-T at reasonable health so that he can revenge kill Starmie. Vaporeon will help against Weavile and Mamoswine, since you were smart and went for the defensive set (it's best set). Just something to be aware of.

Hope I was able to help, good luck with the team!

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk / 244 HP / 200 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock / Knock Off / Rock Polish (this could also be cool)

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch / U-turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)