This thread was approved by Aeolus.
* updates will be added to the end of the post
So you do well on the ladder, but wonder how you would fare against some of the top players in the game? Or maybe you’re tired of facing the same set of opponents over and over, and want a new challenge? Then the #stark cup is right for you! This is essentially a a collection of impromptu tournaments organized on Smogon’s very own chat channel, #stark @ SynIRC.net. At the end of each week, the person who we feel contributed most to discussions related to the tournaments receives HOps for the subsequent week. A record of tournament entrants and winners will also be kept, so those who perform well will also receive bragging rights! The winners will be recorded in terms of Platinum, Gold, and Silver medals.
- Mini-tournaments are held solely on an on-demand basis, so if you want to play in one, just bring it up and see if someone will host!
- Each tournament is capped at 16 entrants, first-come first-serve.
- Hosts are allowed to join their own tournaments if they wish.
- There is no weekly limit to how many tournaments each user is allowed to enter.
- Tournaments will cover all three official Smogon tiers, OU, UU, and Uber. Popular demand can and will influence which tier is played at a given time, but the final decision lies with the tournament host.
- Timed Battle, Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Self-KO Clause, and Soul Dew Clause are enforced.
-If you say you are going to play, you must play all the way through. If you say you are going to play and then leave the host 'hanging,' you will be blacklisted from future #stark cups. This also includes finishing the tournament; if you are facing your friend in the finals, you cannot say 'we're not playing.' Exceptions such as 'I was disconnected' will be considered.
- You should try and use as close to a shoddy name as is your IRC name to help the #stark cup host.
Leaderboard / Rewards
- If a user contributes heavily to tournament-related discussion, he/she will receive HOps at the end of the week and will keep them until the end of the next week, when (if) a new temp-HOp is determined.
- While entering and winning tournaments is not a direct factor in the reward system… participating will make it a lot easier for you to discuss them, no?
- The following is the system for the awarding of medals:
16-person cups: winner (4-0) - Platinum; runner-up (3-1) - Gold; semifinalists (2-1) - Silver
12-person cups: winner (4-0) - Platinum; runner-up (3-1) - Gold; second runner-up (2-2) - Silver
8-person cups: winner (3-0) - Gold; runner-up (2-1) - Silver
As you can see, all 4 game winners get Platinum, all 3 game winners get Gold, and all 2 game winners get Silver.
Note: In 12 player cups, if the winner wins in 2 matches (meaning he beat the first player and then the second), the two losers play for gold and silver. However, if the winner won in 3 matches (meaning there was one loser who went 1-1 and one loser who went 0-2), then there is no need to play. The 1-1 person gets gold, the 0-2 person gets silver. If the first round robin round ends in a tie, it is up to the host whether there should be another round or whether everyone receives silver.
Click here to view the current leaderboard.
- User categories allowed to host: HOps, AOps, SOPs on #stark, Tournament Directors, Alumnus Tournament Directors. Additional users allowed to host: Scofield, remlabmez, zerowing, Seven Deadly Sins, stellar, Atticus, kd24, SoT, reyscarface, Justinawe, Erazor, StevenSnype, TheFourthChaser, Thorns, Twist of Fate, Max.
Etiquette: (AKA I wish I didn't have to make a section for this but I was forced to)
- Do not bitch about hax, team matchups, etc, etc, etc -- breaking this rule is grounds for a kick and repeated offenses may result in the loss of the privilege to join #stark cups or even a ban from the channel.
- Hosts should minimize disruption when hosting cups while the channel is active – use notices sparingly (ideally only once per cup); don’t repeatedly post “five more”, four more”, “three more”, “two more”, “one more”, “come on guys just one more”, etc.
- All winners should private message hosts when they win instead of posting about it in the channel.
Hosts should post results for each cup in this thread; someone else with access to the spreadsheet will transfer the data onto the leaderboard. Follow the format instructions in Aldaron’s post. The blue text in this post contains information relevant to hosts.
5/8/2010 Finally, we are hoping to transition to an automated system for the leaderboard in the near future. This means hosts need to be extremely careful in entering the exact IRC username for users (including underscores and periods), while players should take care in using a single IRC name while signing up for #stark cups. If your name changes, it is your responsibility to post in this thread to tell us.
5/9/2010 All participants should enter their name here ASAP; all hosts should remind participants to make sure they have done so for all cups they host for the next week or so.