1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Starmie (Ubers) [QC 2/3] MM2 has this

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by Musharna, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trickroom

trickroom
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Starmie will be smashed by Psytrike easy. You miss out the OHKO for max HP Ghost Arceus, in exchange for outrunning base 102+ threats, which is still fairly important. The problem is Kabutops outruns quite a lot of threats in rain and gets a lot more chances to spam attacks.

Hitting Groudon hard is a good thing though, and I guess you beat Rayquaza one-on-one which is good. Other than powerful Hydro Pumps on the switch, getting Starmie in is almost impossible. Kabutops can use Swords Dance on the predicted switch and OHKO Ghost Arceus. Giratina-O still takes loads of damage close to OHKO after rocks. Starmie can OHKO Ghost Arceus on the switch, but Kabutops outruns Ghost Arceus which is huge. The Rock-typing gives Kabutops a lot more use.
  2. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo SO TIRED of listening to your nonsense, you massive gasbag!
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The only semi-important thing you mons you outspeed with Timid are Latios/Latias. It sucks to underspeed but at least you still outspeed the very important Palkia and you get that OHKO on Ghostceus which is way bigger. (but I guess he can AC timid or something)

Js, Kabutops loses to resttalk Tina-o. Again, these comparisons just makes it clear that they aren't the same thing. Under Rain tops has that sexy speed whereas Starmie doesn't have to have the weather in it's favor to Spin if there isn't a ghostceus still around and the increased damage output Starmie has (it's Palkia level) allows it to make up for the fewer free turns it gets by taking kills/spinning right there.
  3. gookie

gookie Administrator
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

get some replays up for this set. analytic on a fast pokemon with no defenses makes it rely on predicted switches to benefit from the ability. sounds very iffy tbh.
    dice and trickroom like this.
  4. Melee Mewtwo

is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/customgame-57122666

It's not much cause OMG Furai but it does show how it's hard to bring in your hazard mons like Donner (unless you don't hazard) when Starmie can punish and how U-Turn is really sexy with Starmie. I've had better games with Furai that I never saved so idk how much his word is worth to you.
  5. gookie

gookie Administrator
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

OMG its just furai getting owned by genesect
    Magcargo, trickroom, shrang and 2 others like this.
  6. gookie

gookie Administrator

ooh also look into the possibility of an EV spread that can check mewtwo in the rain (maybe defensive with hydro pump)
  7. trickroom

trickroom
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Lol, Starmie's defenses are crap, Psystrike still smack you for massive damage and you can't check Mewtwo, you are simply fodder. I rather use Slowbro seriously, at least it gets Regenerator, and you can never spin with a defensive set, because Giratina-O rips you, Giratina sits on you, Ghost Arceus eats you, although rain-boosted Hydro Pump can deal some respectable damage.
  8. Melee Mewtwo

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. Melee Mewtwo

Since Musharna is inactive I'm taking the analysis over. I'll eventually fix up the OP.
  10. shrang

shrang Go to your room
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Okay, I've decided to approve this. Just make sure you make it very clear that this thing sucks.

QC APPROVED 2/3
    Sweep and Furai like this.
  11. Furai

Furai a ╬ędefender // a ╬▒guardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

12. Melee Mewtwo

lol says the guy with that ghosty analysis smh. but yeah I'll write it later on this week or next weekend

Edit: I'm a filthy liar and will write this up during my christmas break which is at the end of this week.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Furai likes this.
  13. Sweep

Sweep (makeup)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

is it too late to reject this

Edit: QC REJECTED 2/3. Playtested this several times, including vs shrang and Darkness Passenger, and it's simply outclassed by Kabutops. It loses to Arceus-Ghost 1-1 (can only beat it if Ghostceus switches into a Hydro Pump) and Kabutops can beat that on the switch as well. Even if Starmie manages to lure in and kill a ghost, it is easy to revenge kill/force out with a scarfer before it can spin. It also greatly misses Natural Cure, as Paralysis and Toxic Spikes messes it up. It's a really bad Pokemon.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    trickroom likes this.
  14. Hack

Hack I BELIEVE IN TRANSPARENCY IN DEMOCRATIC INSTITUTIONS
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

QC Rejected 3/3

This thing sucks
  15. Melee Mewtwo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)