1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Gen 2 Starting GSC Again

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by PsychicMew, Jun 11, 2007.

1. PsychicMew

PsychicMew

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    Drill Peck
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Thunderbolt

Skarmory @ nothing
    Theif
    Rest
    Drill Peck
    Whirlwind

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Rest
    Roar

Miltank @ Leftovers
    Body Slam
    Heal Bell
    Milk Drink
    ???????? (maybe Curse?)

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Double Edge (or Body Slam?)
    Curse
    Rest
    Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Crunch
    Rockslide
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower

comments??
  2. Miruru45

Miruru45

body slam for snorlax and curse is fine for milktank...
  3. GreenPikachu

GreenPikachu pumpkin pieco
    is a Contributor Alumnus

in-game, it's fine. well, it's overkill, really. you could beat the game with trash if you wanted to. i love beating the game with cyndaquil (yes...I don't evolve it).

competitively, you have a bit of a problem. machamp, for one. joltwak for another. unless you want to be bold enough to switch in a suicune to a jolteon hoping for baton pass, haha. otherwise suicune can eventually be worn down, and aside from him you really have nothing to guard against it.
  4. PsychicMew

PsychicMew

well this isnt specifically for in game XP

just looking at other teams, machamp and joltwak are common weaknesses, but it does seem alot more glaring on mine. perhaps starmie over suicune, or rhydon/steelix over tyranitar? (or maybe i could fit eggy in here somehow?). i also dont like how i have no status inducer at all cept body slam =\
  5. GreenPikachu

GreenPikachu pumpkin pieco
    is a Contributor Alumnus

well as great as snorlax is, i've preferred the lovely kissing snorlax ever since NYPC was dumb enough to make it possible. my snorlax ever since then has been:

lkiss, selfdestruct, body slam/double-edge, earthquake(since i hate being fucked by gengar).

otherwise, any psychic would be a good wall for Machamp. But Machamp COULD be packing HP Bug(slim chance) or Fire Blast(good chance) and Fire Blast would definitely annoy Eggy on switch-ins if Machamp wised up quickly. But it would add a status inflicter, something you said you wanted. And Rhydon/Steelix are still both weak to Machamp, and don't fare too well against JoltWak (unless you run Roar on them, and just do that as soon as you see Jolteon). good counters for joltwak depend on the nature of the jolteon. does it agility or does it substitute? exploding could break up joltwak if it doesn't sub. continually switching in your pseudophazer as jolteon sets up would annoy the hell out of the person. i mean, there's ways around it, but you usually want to have a couple backups. it just seems that as soon as suicune goes, the team goes. skarm i have never liked. there are better normal resists, and i'd rather pack zapdos(which you already have) or articuno as a ground immunity (if you really think you need one). I'd drop Skarm and Tyranitar. I'd throw on Exeggutor (ground resistance) and something like a Rhydon or Steelix. What the big problem is, is the two normals. they prohibit you from really branching out in resistance pokemon, because a lot of normal resists are weak to Fighting, which automatically puts you at 3x, leaving you scrambling to cover Machamp. Heal Belling isn't as absolute a necessity as you think. there are ways around status. like...packing a sleep talker to eat status. fast substitutes. those are 2 very good alternatives. and...i lost my train of thought. oh well. good luck.
  6. Borat

Borat

Using starmie means less Joltwak coverage. Plus, you have Skarmory already.

Zapdos is more than enough for Machamp, unless it runs Scary Face or something gay.

If it's not enough, Suicune can Rest stall non-cursing Machamps.

Machamps generally carry HP Bug, not Fire Blast.

I don't see the Machamp and Joltwak weakness at all. 3 pokemon weak to fighting moves on a team isn't uncommon or anything, since there's only one decent Fighting move, and one decent Fighting pokemon.
  7. contents_under_pressure

contents_under_pressure

very good, not many changes needed 9.5/10

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)