Data State of the Game - 09/05/2011 (Gym Announcement Post #53, Pay Day HotFix in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly certain Endure was discussed as a focal point of last month's SotG, and it was decided to leave it as is.

As far as some other recent points, multiple target attacks already have their base power reduced so no further nerf is really necessary. As to Double Team, I've never seen it reffed any other way but having an equal chance to hit each clone so the description should definitely be changed.

On Double Team: The description should be changed. However, I do think it should still count as a removable stat modifier. I used Heart Swap with my Krillowatt in the Battle Subway expecting to get a Double Team boost and remove my opponent's- all it did was remove the clones. I think Double Team should at least partially follow in-game logic and be counted as a stat modifier for all purposes except the clone-based Evasion boost. (Whether or not this would break Simple is up for debate.)

Well... 1 issues been brought up by multiple users on iRC, so I wanted to bring it up here.
Endeavor.
This thing is manageable in single when a Pokemon's health difference is fairly small after the end of a battle. The problem comes in when a new mon switches in on the victor, and Endeavor can deal over fifty damage. For instance, if I had a mon at 100 HP switch into a mon at 20...
80/1.75=46 damage. This is a lot; more than Destiny Bond and most last ditch combos. While it can be subbed against, starting off with a Protect that powerful isn't kind to energy. Essentially, it's a move in the same vein as Perish Song. It's a way for fast victors in a singles battle to deal a massive harm to an enemy before going out. Therefore, I have two proposals.
1) Cap damage at 30. This is the same as Destiny Bond, and about the same as most last-ditch combos.
2) Cap damage at 2.5 times user health. This makes it viable in a losing matchup, but prevents it from being broken in the aftermath.
Discuss.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so it's been a long time since I've updated a few of these threads.

All the stuff in the OP is going into effect.

Double Team will be fixed to common usage.

Aside from some questions for multi-battles, rank limits don't seem to be a big deal. I'll up it from 20 to 22, that should be sufficient.

Endeavor is fine as is, it's sufficiently powerful and an energy hog, and the best way to circumvent it is usually Substitute. Not only does it limit the damage to that Sub's amount, if you're in the right situation, the drop in actual HP can allow the Sub to even survive.

In any case, Endeavor's distribution is not all that large, and most of the faster users are mediocre at best. The ones that aren't are usually slower and can fall victim to the Substitute strategy.

Take Cover is keeping its lower size scale. It's primarily a check on the multitude of much smaller, faster Pokemon that make use of it. Hiding behind a moving object of a similar size against a determined for simply doesn't work in real life. Take Cover and Bodyblock are not designed to mirror each other. One is designed to use good defenses and better typing to take hits for an ally, the other is designed to avoid damage from an enemy for low energy cost by having a slower, defensive Pokemon take the hit.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
*removes the Dust*

Can I please have a copy of the justification to make refs earn a max of 15 RC per battle? Since it sharply discourages people from reffing the huge matches, whilst facility refs can do a similar amount of work for twice the reward, or greater.

What, the only reason I'm reffing a 8v8 brawl is that I get 17 RC. To be truthful I think that the rule never should have been made and should be abolished.

@Dogfish, I'd put good money on that being a countermeasure to stop extraordinarily large Brawls from ending in two or three rounds and yielding >9000 counters to all parties.

@Dogfish, I'd put good money on that being a countermeasure to stop extraordinarily large Brawls from ending in two or three rounds and yielding >9000 counters to all parties.
This. It was the original measure vs true Street Brawls, which were crazy. Now, with people wanting legit 8v8 or higher matches, there is no point in this rule.

Hello, I am here to discuss the ASB Tutoring Program brought up in this thread. For all people say about how you can answer questions about ASB on IRC, that's not entirely true. You can get the answers to any mechanical questions about the game on IRC. However, battling tutors provide focused, consistent help; not just random answers on IRC. As for the issue of players getting unfair help, I think the solution proposed that two tutees would battle each other with help from their tutors could solve that problem quite nicely.

This. It was the original measure vs true Street Brawls, which were crazy. Now, with people wanting legit 8v8 or higher matches, there is no point in this rule.
I agree-while the token-mongering aspect for the players remains questionable, if a ref is willing to ref 32 possibly interacting actions or more per round, they should have the ability to get a bigger payoff than 15 RC.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK, so I know I let this thread drag on way too long.

Way too long.

In any case, people seem to have acclamated to the new Substitution rules, so I'm going to bump it up from 20 to 22 on the 19+ Mons without the vote.

Everything else should already be implemented. I want to start a new thread for some attack ideas.

I'm still quite busy of late, so lord knows when I leave this open for a day it'll be open another week, but that's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)