Status of Shoddy Battle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
I just want to post some explicit information on the status of Shoddy Battle 2. I'm currently not working on Shoddy Battle 2 actively, and bearzly is done with Smogon and online pokemon, so he isn't working on it either. (Just for greater clarity, the original division of work had me doing the entire server and pokemon engine; bearzly never contributed to these.) The project is not cancelled, however, because DougJustDoug will likely be taking over the project and finishing it on his own timetable.

For any would-be contributors, I will outline the current state of the codebase. There are two main components to the project: the client and the server. The server includes the "pokemon engine", which is the most complicated part of the program, and is responsible for the actual game logic.

State of the server (zip archive)
- The pokemon engine, which, as I will remind you, is the most complicated part of the project, is mostly done. Only a single move, a handful of abilities, and around 1/3 of the items need to be completed. This was the largest part of the project and I already completed it (basically).

- Most networking code is done, including the battle protocol. The main missing protocol area is communication of special status effects. It is quite possible to have working battles.

- There is a crude database implementation in place which should probably be revised to be more logical.

- There is no administrative functionality (for moderating the chat etc.)

State of the client (zip archive)
- The team builder is mostly done. Some features may be incomplete, such as the item dropdown, but by and large it is usable.

- All of the windows related to battles are functional. It is quite possible to have working battles.

- The challenge window is mostly done, but is missing a variety of planned functions.

- All features related to administration and moderation are absent.

A huge amount of code exists in the Shoddy Battle 2 codebase. It is all new code. The server clocks in at ~22,000 lines so far. That's a lot of code. (It's not as interesting to consider the client line count since most of the lines are autogenerated by the NetBeans GUI builder.) I just want to emphasise the size of the existing codebase.

Basically, to get Shoddy Battle 2 released, what needs to be done is tying up some looses ends in the server (especially administrative functionality), and polishing a few dialogues in the client. I know it doesn't sound like much work, but it's not my goal here to suggest that release is imminent. The program likely won't be released until active development picks up again.

Obviously, this means that my previously stated release range is bunk. Please confine any complaints about that to this thread.

Not surprised either however, i might put forth some time in to help with some of these so ill see what i can do.

It's written in Java? I thought it was written in C++ for some reason. I wonder how I thought of that...

Before asking "HOW DO I RUN IT??!?!?!?!?!" Read this...

1. Install netbeans IDE
2. Download the client.
3. Open the client as a project in NetBeans. Set As main project.
4. Click the green hammer. Shoddy will open. (It wont connect to any servers from my testing!)

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Compiling the server though is a lot more work. I was only able to get it working on Ubuntu, and only after a lot more hell work and actually tweaking the compiler options (it was made to build on older versions of Boost and the like). Its a shame, because the coolest part of Shoddy Battle 2 happens during battles. Its a lot, lot nicer.

If I didn't have history I'd continue studying on Network Programming so I could actually be of some better use, but I digress.

I don't think we can connect to the servers. I don't think any work. Plus, the client isnt done.
Oh, I just noticed that some of the servers are posted in the client as being testing, but I wasn't sure if these were incomplete or ready to a certain extent.

Mm. I wish I could help, but my study of scripting of any sort other then HTML or CSS is limited. People need to try to get this up more though. It is a shame that only a select few are trying.

I think a way to pull people in would be to announce this on the actual server its self also. Maybe people are not comming to aid because they don't know this is an existing problem?

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Thanks for posting the update, Colin.

I'd like it if this thread functioned as a call for experienced, talented, and motivated programmers.

If you fit that bill, and have an interest in contributing to Smogon, this is the project where your efforts will be most appreciated by the community. They won't go unrecognized. As DJD is the de facto leader of the project, I would suggest that all those willing and able should contact DougJustDoug about how you can best proceed.

Well, I'd like to say that since I'm learning C++ programing, I'd like to contribute, however if what Duck92 said was correct then C++ would benefit you in no way. =( I really wanted to help.

The server is in C++. Much of the battle logic is written in java script, but the server itself is written in C++ and evaluates the javascript functions using mozillas javascript engine. The client is still Java.

I'd like to help, but I've been doing purely C# for the last ~8 months so my C/C++ is sloppy. Might contact DJD anyways..

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh, also, remember that you need Mercurial if you want to submit patches.

I wasted so much of Colin's time trying to learn how to do so.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just as a quick note, I think Sonuis, Obi and myself will start some work on previous gens. Update you soon after looking through the code.

I'd help, but I'm just starting C++ and I don't want to accidentally make Magikarp pwn everything.

I checked these files many times in the past months,as a learner of C++.
But some of the source seems difficult for me.
Anyway,I'm learning C++ and Qt.Maybe sometime I could join your team.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I should be learning to start Java pretty soon through university, so depending on how indepth we go and how well I learn it, I may/may not be able to help with the project, but if possible I'd love to! :)

I'm fairly familiar with C++ and Java, just not very well versed in Netbeans and compiling with it. (I always compiled with Dev-C or some other form of compiler)

I downloaded both packages and I've failed to compile either of them. I would love to try and finish them though.

Colin, if possible, make a great install program to shoddybattle, it will help players like me, that don't can play because java never completes the download.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This is not a suggestion thread or a thread where you request new features. Please don't make me puke on my laptop with such posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)