1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Status Stall

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by calvinteoh1997, May 11, 2013.

1. calvinteoh1997

calvinteoh1997

Stall Team
    I've been playing this game for a while, but I'm still relatively new to team building. Any comments would be appreciated :D So anyway, here is my stall team, I think the focus i had was to be able to spread status, especially burn to opponents while healing off all damage. This won me quite a few battles on showdown but it still needs more work. Many thanks to Jajub123 as well as Box for the tips and suggestions. So here it is:
    Stall Team (OU):
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In general i think this team is quite effective in slowly wearing out the opponent, burn is a great status to use. It involves a lot of swapping but in general the team can take status and hazards rather well. Originally i had celebi and skarmory in place of gliscor and ferrothorn, but they seemed to have little presence and i replaced them, if you disagree please tell me. Now on to the team itself:

Pokemon:
    [​IMG]
    Ferrothorn
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature:Relaxed
    EVs
    252 HP
    88 Def
    168 SpD
    0 speed IVs
    Moves:
    -Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball

My set up lead. Its great defense allows it to easily set up spikes and seed to heal itself while sapping the opponents health. Gyro ball allows it to take out faster sweepers who might sweep the team, while power whip is a good coverage move. I passed over thunder wave because i would rather burn them than paralyze them. It generally lures out fire moves so i can swap to heatran to nab a Flash Fire boost.

[​IMG]
    Sigilyph
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Item: Flame Orb
    Nature: Bold
    252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
    - Cosmic Power
    - Psycho Shift
    - Stored Power
    - Roost

This thing is tanky. With a few boosts with cosmic power, pokemon, especially physical attackers struggle to inflict damage, especially burnt. The stored boosts make for a very heavy hit on most pokemon, and with plenty of time to roost and a good enough speed, Sigilyph can stay in for very long

[​IMG]
    Heatran
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature:Calm
    EVs
    244 HP
    44 SpD
    220 Spe
    Moves:
    -Torment
    -Substitute
    -Protect
    -Lava Plume

Torment Tran, Bulky and annoying, after a Torment Heatran can freely set up substitutes and protect, meaning that it heals hp quite fast. Lava plume could provide a useful burn, but it means heatran is often walled by opposing heatran which can ko with earth power. In general this guy can even hold off pokemon he's weak too, meaning the opponent often swaps, to get another torment or lava plume to the face. The speed investment allows heatran to torment the first pokemon before the super effective attack hits, allowing it to set up its substitute the next turn easily. It comes in easiest on a fire move, allowing lava plume to rack extra damage.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent@Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
    EV's: 252 HP, 220 SpD, 36 Spe
    Moves:
    Will-O-Wisp
    Scald/Surf
    Taunt
    Recover

A tanky pokemon with a nice ability and a lot of chances to abuse with. Jelli is awesome at both spin blocking as well as dishing out status. Its water adsorb gives it a lot of chance to come in, especially on water moves aimed at heatran and fighting moves meant to take of Chansey. recover gives it a lot more bulk and power.

[​IMG]
    Chansey
    Ability: Natural cure
    Item: Eviolite
    Nature:Bold
    EVs
    252 HP
    252 Def
    4 Spe
    Moves:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic

The team sponge and healer. Wish allows it to pass off large heals to pokemon i want to swap in to allow them to heal back up, while protect is for chansey herself. Toss deals a lot of damage to defensive people, while toxic again in mainly for special attackers who don't get crippled from burn

[​IMG]
    Gliscor
    Ability: Poison Heal
    Item: Toxic orb
    Nature:Impish
    EVs
    252 HP
    184 Def
    72 Spe
    Moves:
    -Substitute
    -Protect
    -Earthquake
    -Taunt

The second defensive tank, Gliscor can take earthquakes meant for Heatran and retaliate with an earthquake that can kill opposing heatran. Heatran similarly can take ice attacks meant for Gliscor. Toxic sub means that gliscor heals ridiculously fast and has the time to dish out earthquakes to opponent while behind it. Taunt is there to prevent setups and status from occurring.

Other than the changes made, i was wondering if it would be good to put in a pokemon that can rapid spin as well to replace ferrothorn, like maybe tentacruel or forretress.Thanks for the comments!
  2. Jajub123

Jajub123

First of all, I commend you for using stall. It's pretty hard to use, and is by far my favorite style of playing. ;)

Anyway, on to the rate. I noticed that your team is very Volcarona weak. Volcarona can really sweep your entire team-excluding Chansey, but after a few boosts, Chansey'll be 2HKO'd-after a couple of boosts. Let's say that you have an HP Ground set Volcarona that just switched in to your Ferrothorn, and it's able to get up a boost as you switch out. Here are some calculations:

Ferrothorn:252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 733-863 (208.23 - 245.17%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Slowking:252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Slowking: 429-507 (108.88 - 128.68%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Sableye:252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Sableye: 286-339 (94.07 - 111.51%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO (it's a 100% chance to OHKO if Volcarona gets a boost from Fiery Dance)
    Heatran:252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 385-458 (100 - 118.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Chansey:252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 173-204 (24.57 - 28.97%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock (as you can see, Chansey is your only real counter to Volcarona...but, once it gets a couple of Fiery Dance boosts or manages to set up more than one Quiver Dance, well, Chansey wouldn't be able wall it)
    Gliscor:252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 302-356 (85.31 - 100.56%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (again, 100% chance to OHKO with more than one boost)

So, as you can see, your team doesn't fare to well against Volcarona. :p So, I'd suggest replacing Jellicent over Sableye. Jellicent can still get burns, has WAY better bulk, can counter pretty much all spinners that are mostly used in the current meta (i.e. Starmie, Ferrothorn, etc.), AND, most importantly, it can counter Volcarona. Jellicent has amazing synergy with Heatran, as they both wall things that would otherwise get the other one KO'd (*cough* Volcarona w/ HP Ground and Volcarona w/ Giga Drain).

The next proposal I suggest is to use Slowbro over Slowking. Slowbro is more bulky on the defensive side, which you need a lot more than the specially defensive side (Chansey-lol-, my previous suggestion Jellicent, and Heatran). It also can get that special bulk w/ Calm Mind, whereas Slowking can't get any physical bulk.

My last suggested changes are very minor. First of all, I'd suggest replacing Stealth Rocks over Substitute on Heatran. The fact that you don't have rocks on your team is irking, especially since your a stall team. Also, I'd suggest replacing Taunt with Toxic on your Gliscor. This'll spread status a lot faster, and could help when trying to whittle down physical attackers, such as Tyranitar and Terrakion. Here are the sets for the Pokemon I recommended before:

Jellicent@Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
    EV's: 252 HP, 220 SpD, 36 Spe
    Moves:
    Will-O-Wisp
    Scald/Surf
    Taunt
    Recover

Slowbro@Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    EV's: 252 HP, 196 Def, 60 SAtk
    Moves:
    Calm Mind
    Scald (burns!)
    Psyshock
    Slack Off

One last thing: Breloom could do some damage to your team, but after something is asleep (most likely Ferrothorn), Slowbro could most likely OHKO with Psyshock. Anyway, props to you for using stall :D and good luck with the team! (sorry for the long rate)
  3. Box

Box

The above post has offered much advice that I would have similarly offered. However, with regards to using Slowbro, consider using Cosmic Power Sigilyph, which many teams are not prepared for. Use Sigilyph not only as a useful Fighting resist, but also as a the ultimate lategame staller. Once Toxic is sufficiently spread, Sigilyph can come in and start boosting. After two boosts, even Choice Band Victini's Bolt Strike fails to 2HKO. Psycho Shift allows you to spread burns to Pokemon you would not be able to Toxic or to cripple things like Choice Band Terrakion on the switch.

Since using Jellicent over Sableye would grant you a FWG core in FerroHeatranJellicent, Sigilyph is an extremely strong defensive Pokemon that should definitely be considered for use in your team.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Bold Nature
    252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
    - Cosmic Power
    - Psycho Shift
    - Stored Power
    - Roost

Also, I cannot stress this enough: A Stall team should absolutely have Stealth Rocks. Give them to Heatran and maybe an extra set to Ferrothorn. That is all.
  4. Jajub123

Jajub123

Actually, going back to what Box said, I definitely agree with using Sigilyph. It does basically do everything Slowbro/Slowking/Whatever can already do, as well as doing other amazing things as well. Nice suggestion, Box. You NEVER see Sigilyph.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)