Stinky Cat Team [OU RMT]

Well, hi everyone! It's zdrup15 here with my 1st RMT. I've played Pokémon since its beginning but only entered the competitive scene when salamence was about to be banned. Therefore I started to play on Suspect but my team was just a group of pokes I put together and only managed to reach a CRE of about 1300 (a little bit more). Now, after Salamence's banning and my month of holidays I thought a lot and came up with an idea: I wanted to use a defensive Heatran and I built a team around it. But it's not going too well as, even though I've battled 3 players on the leaderboard and managed to put up a fight against all of them (1 of them won with a gengar at 3%), I can't reach even 1300.

Oh, by the way, this thread's name is after a wonderful comedy group in Portugal that is just hilarious and I suggest you check them on YouTube.

Changes in Bold

Without further ado,

Here is my Team:

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 Hp / 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 12 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

Well, the team starts with a standard anti-lead machamp. It used to get the joob done against the majority of the leads but recently two threats appeared uppon it: anti-lead gallade and life orb azelf laugh at it. Scarfed Jirachis are also a trouble but this and azelf are easily defeated, although azelf sets rocks. I run 12 Spe to outspeed all the people starting to use 8 (and it's been working).

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 Hp / 56 SpA / 204 SpD
Nature: Calm
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

I just want to say this: Damn it kikosaurus, how the hell did you came up with the same idea right now? Well, this set works because people fear scarftran. I switch this into something that fears scarftran and sub. Then I WoW the incoming Flygon, Gyarados, Tyranitar or Swampert (Vaporeon is the only common switch that doesn't really care as much with WoW). Flamethrower and Earth Power are there for coverage.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 Hp / 244 SpA / 32 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Leaf Storm
- Hp Fire
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Initially, celebi had T-wave instead of rocks because my team is a bit on the slow side and the paralysis really helped. But, after playtesting, it became obvious I needed rocks to reduce switches. This also had calm mind before t-wave but didn't work.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 Hp / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Offensive DD Gyarados. This thing is a beast and can sweep with ease after anything electrical has been eliminated. It's also my best answer against anti-lead gallade because I don't want to lock scarfgon so early in the match (and he can't really switch in with ease).

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Thunderpunch
- U-Turn

Scarfed Flygon is my revenge killer (really? wow, you're so creative...). It initially had Dragon Claw instead of Thunderpunch but I learned the hard way that DD Gyarados is a bitch. However, I've recently battled a player on the leaderboard that had mixed LO Flygon and I must confess: Wow, my team is not prepared for that. Double STAB, with Draco Meteor on the special side can really screw an unprepared team. So if anyone thinks I can use him changing something on my team, please tell me how.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed

This is a hot spot! After having the four above (bar machamp) I had some troubles finding the final element for the team. First it was a Phisically Bulky Rotom-W with WoW, STAB and Hydro Pump, then an Offensive Zapdos and FINALLY Swords Dance Lucario. This is my cleaner but it's not a sure poke. I've been thinking about the Agility set, Bullet Punch instead of Crunch, etc. However, it has been the best of all three that have been here.

Main Threats:

-Bulky Zapdos with Hp Ice (only heatran stands upon it but its inferior speed puts it in a disadvantage)
-Offensive CM Suicune
-Gliscor with U-turn (because without U-turn celebi laughs at it) which means almost all gliscors
-Set up sweepers, mainly anything that ends in ape (when flygon has fainted)
-Baton Pass teams

Final Thoughts:

I know I need Taunt and/or Roar/Whirlwind because 3 of my 5 main problems can be solved with that so I know there will be lots of recommendations with taunt or roar and I welcome them.

So thanks very much guys, I'm open to any suggestions that may be written here and please Rate My Team!!! xD

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Pretty decent team, but the EVs on a few of your Pokemon are a bit inefficient, specifically those for Heatran and Celebi. I'd suggest changing them to dedicated support sets, so that with their excellent defensive synergy, they should be able to wall a major portion of the metagame. On Heatran, I'd recommend trying out a Specially Defensive shuffler, with a moveset of Lava Plume/Earth Power/Roar/Stealth Rock. Lava Plume is great for the decent burn chance on incoming Flygon, Tyranitar and Gyarados, which reduces their ability to check Lucario effectively. Earth Power and Stealth Rock are self-explanatory, while Roar racks up entry hazard damage and destroys Baton Pass teams. An EV spread of 248 HP/204 Sp Def/68 Sp Atk should work well, with a Calm nature. On Celebi, try out a Tinkerbell set over your current one. This guy combines a lot of power with decent bulk, and spreads status around with Thunder Wave, providing great support. The last moveslot can go to either HP Fire for OHKOs on Scizor and Forry, or Earth Power to make it a great Scarftran lure. An EV spread of 232 HP/244 Sp Atk/32 Spe with a Modest nature lets you outspeed Jolly Tyranitar. Life Orb is the preferred item, although you could run Leftovers to take on Bulky Waters better. It also helps out against Life Orb Starmie, who can do a number to your team.

I'd suggest trying out a Bulky Gyarados in place of your current one. Gyarados is currently your only solid check to SD Lucario, and is the only Pokemon in your team who can actually switch into Infernape. So, I think a Bulky Gyara would take on these threats a lot better than your current spread. The addition of Taunt will also help out with stall teams, preventing status and phazing. A moveset of Waterfall/Taunt/Dragon Dance/Bounce or Stone Edge is ideal. Bounce hits Bulky Waters harder, while Stone Edge hits opposing Gyarados. Bounce also offers an extra turn of Lefties recovery, better for Gyarados' survivability. The standard EVs for Bulky Gyara are 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe with an Adamant nature.

Gl with your team!

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi. This team looks very good, so I'm just going to suggest a couple of minor set changes:

There is no need for max special attack on Celebi. Its purpose is largely defensive, so a it would be advisable to move most of the EVs to HP. I would also generally recommend investing in HP before defense, as Celebi can wall effectively on both sides. Minor speed investment is also recommended; with some investment you can outrun Jolly Tyranitar, which is important against DD variants, as well as getting the jump on other Celebi and Jirachi. The only other thing is that Celebi kind of needs Thunderwave to prevent it from becoming setup bait for various sweepers, and also lets it check some additional sweepers like Dragonite. Celebi still really needs all of its other moves to stay alive and prevent it from being trapped by the likes of Tyranitar and Scizor.

Edit - of course it is also fine to go by the more offensive route as IBanez suggested, as long as you properly commit to it. It is quit necessary to be able to KO Tyranitar if you do not carry maximum bulk, and Life Orb certainly allows you to do this.

Obviously SR is crucial to any team, and I think that it would be better placed on your Heatran, over Substitute. You already noted that most Heatran switchins do not much like WoW; in fact, such a large proportion are crippled (even Vaporeon actually) that I think it is acceptable to use it without first subbing.

Unless running Life orb, I would always recommend the use of Taunt on Gyarados (over Earthquake.) It has good utility against stall teams, which I could see giving you some trouble, and is great against Skarmory, Blissey and Swampert, who can put a stop to your current set. Stone Edge and Waterfall already have near-perfect neutral coverage together; Empoleon is the only thing you really miss out on. This can go with or without a bulky spread, but as IBanez said, Gyarados is an important check to Lucario and Infernape, and as such could really benefit from the bulk.

Finally, I would recommend that you use Inner Focus on Lucario. The reasoning behind this is that the opponent will not flinch you by accident; the only Flinching move that does not already completely destroy Lucario is Scarf Jirachi's Iron Head, which is a move you could perceivably set up on. With Steadfast, you find that Jirachi will still outrun you after having flinched you with Iron head (which does around 25-30%), allowing it to flinch you twice before you can move first. With Inner focus, you could use these turns to set up Swords dance and OHKO Jirachi. In reality, Lucario cannot afford to flinch, as it is too frail and will consequently often be KOed before it manages to set up.

Good luck.

Well 1st of all, thanks for the rate. And yeah, I do know I have an issue with EV spreads and have to improve a lot.
I liked your suggestions and will definitely try them out.

EDIT: I was talking about IBanez rate. Jc104 I will try your EV spread as well. And that's the problem about heatran: I do want to keep its STAB and EP and I also need Roar but a wrong predicted WoW can severely cripple my team with a FF boosted FB. Can anyone help me with this? And thanks for luke's suggestion, I'll change it right now.

So I created another alt with the team modified with these two suggestions and in less than an hour I managed to get a CRE of 1151 and defeating a guy with a CRE of over 1400. In 15 or so battles I lost 2 (1 in a speed tie). So I'll edit the OP with your suggestions. Thanks IBanez and jc104

I'd like you to rate this new version of the team as I still don't know if it's at its greatest potential

Rating on request.

The changes suggested in this thread already are very good, and with them you have a very solid team on your hands already! I guess if I were to suggest anything, it would be to replace Lucario, who appears to be the weak link on your team. You mention being weak against offensive Suicune, but I maintain that your weakness extends to powerful special attackers in general. Shaymin, Starmie, and Gengar can probably find ways in frequently and do heavy damage to your team. To alleviate this, I would like to suggest Curselax over your Lucario. With Curselax, I feel like your team would have enough bulk and power to go around and it really just rounds everything out. The specific set would be:

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful, 168 HP / 120 Def / 220 SpD
Thick Fat
-Curse
-Body Slam
-Fire Punch
-Rest

This guy can come in on the previously mentioned special attackers and set up, or just fire off Body Slams to do damage and possibly net some paralysis. You will lose your priority attack, though, so keep that in mind when you play in the future, should you use this change. Good luck!

Rating on request.

The changes suggested in this thread already are very good, and with them you have a very solid team on your hands already! I guess if I were to suggest anything, it would be to replace Lucario, who appears to be the weak link on your team. You mention being weak against offensive Suicune, but I maintain that your weakness extends to powerful special attackers in general. Shaymin, Starmie, and Gengar can probably find ways in frequently and do heavy damage to your team. To alleviate this, I would like to suggest Curselax over your Lucario. With Curselax, I feel like your team would have enough bulk and power to go around and it really just rounds everything out. The specific set would be:

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful, 168 HP / 120 Def / 220 SpD
Thick Fat
-Curse
-Body Slam
-Fire Punch
-Rest

This guy can come in on the previously mentioned special attackers and set up, or just fire off Body Slams to do damage and possibly net some paralysis. You will lose your priority attack, though, so keep that in mind when you play in the future, should you use this change. Good luck!
I'm kinda afraid of changing right now because I've battled more than 25 times and only lost 3 and already have the same CRE as before (with only 2 hours of battles). But I will definitely try your suggestion. Can you tell me if agililucario could work better than mine? Because losing priority with such a slow team can hurt me.

Hello,

The team as a whole looks fairly solid, so the suggestions I'd like to make are mostly regarding EVs and movesets.

For Heatran, I'd recommend the Torment Tran EV spread of 244 HP / 32 SpA / 12 SpD / 220 Spe. More information is available on the analysis page, but in a nutshell, this spread gives you a very good amount of bulk, while also granting enough speed to outpace more defensive versions of Zapdos and Celebi.

I'm personally a fan of that Tinkerbell Celebi set, but I tend to use it in a slightly more defensive manner. Try an EV spread of 252 HP / 224 SpA / 32 Spe with Leftovers. The max HP EVs and Leftovers give it some extra bulk, while still dealing quite a lot of damage; for example, opposing Scizor are usually OHKO'd by Hidden Power Fire without Stealth Rock, and are guaranteed to be KO'd with it. Grass Knot is also a good option to test over Leaf Storm, as the higher PP and reliability make it a good choice.

Phil's suggestion of a Snorlax addition is also a good idea; don't be hesistant to try out any changes to your team, as they may result in improving the team significantly. In this case, Snorlax walls most special attackers, including the ones you have mentioned you have problems dealing with, while still maintaining an offensive presence.

Good luck with your team!

I don't think speed is really an issue on your team, as you have Scarf Flygon to revenge kill most offensive Pokemon, and Thunderwave Celebi to help against things too. You also have Intimidate to help soften any blow from faster physical threats. I think Swords Dance Luke is better for you than Agility Luke, because without SD Luke you're very stall weak, which is another reason I was suggesting Curse Rest Snorlax (to give you some form of threat against stall teams late game). I still think that you'll find your team much easier to use and more successful if you throw in Snorlax, though, especially as you climb higher on the ladder and play better players. It's up to you at the end of the day though!

I don't think speed is really an issue on your team, as you have Scarf Flygon to revenge kill most offensive Pokemon, and Thunderwave Celebi to help against things too. You also have Intimidate to help soften any blow from faster physical threats. I think Swords Dance Luke is better for you than Agility Luke, because without SD Luke you're very stall weak, which is another reason I was suggesting Curse Rest Snorlax (to give you some form of threat against stall teams late game). I still think that you'll find your team much easier to use and more successful if you throw in Snorlax, though, especially as you climb higher on the ladder and play better players. It's up to you at the end of the day though!
Ok, you got me interested. I'll ladder a bit more with this team and tomorrow will ladder with snorlax and post the results here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)