DPP OU Storming the Castle [Suspect]

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks to Cyzir_Visheen for the pics!

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash ** Reckless
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

DESCRIPTION:
I have to admit that, at first, this was merely used in order to take down the popular ShucaTran lead set, and it was extremely effective at doing just that. Earthquake OHKOes 4 HP Heatran all the time. Stealth Rock is relatively easy to set up due to Mamoswine's ability to force switches. Normally, the opponent will switch in Scizor. I can use Endeavor on the following turn (when Scizor uses Bullet Punch), knocking Scizor down to 1 HP. Ice Shard then picks off any remaining HP. Earthquake is useful for taking down opposing Metagross and deals decent damage to anything not immune to it. Ice Shard is particularly helpful against lead Azelf and Aerodactyl. Endeavor + Ice Shard, surprisingly, takes down the popular Double Screen -> Gliscor -> Metagross strategy by bypassing the screens and Gliscor's Yache Berry. Or I can survive the attack from Metagross, Endeavor on that turn, and Ice Shard for the KO the next.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band ** Knights
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP/56 Atk/212 SDef
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

DESCRIPTION:
Scizor is the best answer to Latios that I have found. With the given EVs, Scizor is capable of switching in and taking Stealth Rock / Draco Meteor / -2 Surf without dying. If Latios does not switch, Pursuit deals 75.08% - 88.37% damage. However, if Latios attempts to flee, Pursuit will deal 99.67% - 117.61%, a essentially definite OHKO. U-turn is extremely useful for scouting and allows me to play off the team's numerous immunities and resistances while dealing respectable damage due to STAB. Bullet Punch still deals 56.15% - 66.11% to min/min Latios, meaning even with the sharp drop in power due to the bulky EVs, it still retains the ability to 2HKO. Because of the bulky EVs, Scizor also makes a good switch-in against Starmie.

Kingdra (M) @ Lum Berry ** Untrust Us
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Waterfall

DESCRIPTION:
Kingdra forms the first half of the team's "double-dragon" strategy, by eliminating many of Latios' counters such as Blissey, Metagross, and Jirachi. Due to Kingdra's bulk, it is capable of setting up on Suicune, Vaporeon, and other bulky Water-types. It also makes a fantastic switch-in to Pokemon locked into Fire or Water-type attacks (meaning, it makes a good switch-in to Heatran). With max Speed, Kingdra outspeeds all Pokemon with base 130 Speed or lower. With the large number of Dragons in the metagame, Kingdra is more than capable of sweeping by itself. With Stealth Rock damage and +2 Attack, Kingdra OHKOs max / max Blissey and offensive Suicune one hundred percent of the time. +1 Outrage deals 56.92% - 67.19%% to standard (188 HP / 252 Def [Bold]) Vaporeon, a definite 2HKO. With Lum Berry, Kingdra can more easily switch in against Blissey.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb ** Magic Spells
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

DESCRIPTION:
The current suspect is one of the most threatening Pokemon in the game, although it isn't unstoppable. This set attempts to deal the most damage possible. Draco Meteor deals massive damage to everything and even has a 34% chance of 2HKOing min HP Heatran if it switches into Stealth Rock (not that you would use Draco Meteor instead of Surf the second time; just showing that it hurts a lot). Surf really hurts Tyranitar and Heatran and when paired with Draco Meteor, it offers extreme neutral coverage. Surf 2HKOes offensive Scizor and Metagross. Thunderbolt deals 69.20% - 81.70% to standard Vaporeon and similar damage to Suicune. Thunderbolt also quickly finishes off Gyarados while providing me with a quick way to dispose of weakened Salamence without resorting to the Special Attack lowering Draco Meteor. Latios, along with Kingdra, are my main switch-ins to Infernape. Life Orb max SpA HP Ice from Infernape only manages to deal 52.49% - 61.79% to Latios, meaning it can switch in on Close Combat or Flamethrower / Fire Blast and KO Infernape, and then Roost away the damage.

Metagross @ Leftovers ** Good Time
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/112 Atk/136 Def/8 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Reflect

DESCRIPTION:
Metagross is my main answer to offensive threats such as Scizor and Tyranitar due to its extremely high Defense and access to Reflect. I usually switch in against Gyarados if it is proving to be troublesome and explode, instantly eliminating any problem. Explosion is also useful for its ability to quickly end n-1 situations. With Earthquake, Metagross is my first switch-in against lead Jirachi. Meteor Mash helps eliminate Latios and deals a bunch of damage to Flygon if it switches in predicting Earthquake. Because my team doesn't really have a "true" answer to Machamp, I tend to Explode on it upon first sight. Reflect helps against Lucario and Scizor who like to try to set up and kill me. n_n. With Reflect up, +2 Kingdra only manages 23% with Waterfall at most, so Metagross does a good job of countering that too!

Jolteon (M) @ Life Orb ** Crimewave
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shadow Ball

DESCRIPTION:
Jolteon helps check a lot of threats in the current metagame including Latios, Salamence, Rotom-A, and various others. Usually, I'm able to U-Turn from Scizor out of one of these threats and respond accordingly. +1 Thunderbolt can 2HKO less defensive versions of Magnezone while Charge Beam + Shadow Ball makes quick work of Rotom-A. Jolteon's high Speed allows it to more efficiently sweep. Although, Jolteon is reliant on Scizor's ability to trap and kill Blissey. Hidden Power [Grass] KOes Swampert and Rhyperior and Thunderbolt OHKOes Salamence after Stealth Rock so I don't need HP Ice.

Last edited:
this team seriously is amazing lol, i have used it to such great success on suspect ladder.

sometimes, i still think hp grass on jolteon for swampert is something to consider Stellar, although hp ice is definitely awesome for beating gliscor. Just something to consider though :/

I've used your team for a while and I loved it, your Mamoswine lead is amazing.
But there is one problem: SkarmBliss walls this team do death.
I faced those two in one battle and there was really nothing I could do about it... especially against Protect Blissey which you can't Pursuit. There's no way you can beat those two on the hands of a smart player.

but, on the other hand, your team just decimates other offensive teams. Mamoswine and Jolteon work like a charm (especially Jolteon), Scizor kills opposing Latios which is everywhere 100% of the time and that Metagross set is amazing at taking Dragon and any other attacks, really. But I guess you know that.

anyway, this team is great as everyone is using offensive teams. Congratulations, it's very well built.

edit: I also used HP Grass over HP Ice since Thunderbolt OHKOes Mence after Stealth Rock, and It came in VERY handy against Swampert and some Rhyperior I found.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like I said before, this is an excellent team Stellar,*****, and there's very little I can say that hasn't been said. I agree that Jolteon should run HP Grass over HP Ice - Shadow Ball hits Latios harder than HP Ice would, and both Dragonite and Salamence are KOed by a +1 Thunderbolt after SR. I guess it does have merit in doing more damage to Gliscor and Flygon, but apart from that I feel HP Grass is more useful in hitting Rhyperior and especially Swampert harder.

Your lack of mixed sweepers does make you quite easy to wall by generic super-sturdy one spectrum walls, ala Blissey and Skarmory. I would recommend against making Latios mixed, as I feel mixed Latios is unimpressive and is a waste of its abilities. Instead, perhaps consider replacing Kingdra's Substitute with Hydro Pump and giving it a Lum Berry over Leftovers. Also, make it Naughty (or Lonely, up to you) and give it a spread of 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe. The speed EVs still let you outrun base 130s after a dance, and with a Naughty nature and the SpA EVs, you do a minimum of 51% to a max HP Skarmory. Just something to keep in mind if you find yourself walled by SkarmBliss repeatedly, although I don't see how much Skarmory would thrive in a metagame with Latios...

Good luck with your team.

Stellar, you know I'm gonna say its a great team considering you are one of the few people to beat me multiple times ^_^.

So, um, basically I agree that your offensive team falls prey to SkarmBliss (hey, who's really doesn't nowadays anyway). Blissey is more annoying than Skarmory to be honest, and I'd rather not take away Substitute on Kingdra (blocks status that is critical to Kingdra's success). Although farfetch'd (lol), why not try something like HP Fire Metagross? I think Reflect is pretty useless, as for Kingdra, you can go to Scizor, take whatever attack it dishes out, U-Turn, and then revenge-kill later in the game with Bullet Punch anyway. Since the team is so well built, there really isn't much ground for changing Pokemon.

Love the nicknames, I love Crystal Castles too.

Just run Rain Dance and shift the EVs around on Kingdra if SkarmBliss gives you trouble.

No other glaring weaknesses, but I notice you have no really solid switchin to Mamoswine, who seems to be really popular now.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Quite good team. I have seen it in action and it works pretty well
Substitute seems to work better that Hydro Pump in kingdra
I see some problems with luke: if it just CC first turn, everything will be 2HKOed at least by it (latios will fall to extreme next turn)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)