ORAS OU Stormy Mondays: My first team in a long time

Weather teams: Love em or hate em, were once the defining face of competitive pokemon battling. These days it aint all about that. I was kind of a trick room nut back then and never got round to trying a tails or toad based team. But given the arrival of the weather centric ORAS, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Quake in fear at my mighty rain team! (or don't - I really need help with this one)

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

You guys might be sick of seeing this guy by now, but I haven't got a hold of ORAS myself yet, and I'm a fan. What can I say about this set? It's your typical bulky dance. Waterfall isn't the strongest stab in the world but Mega Swampert hits like a truck and its not something to scoff at in the rain. Plus the flinch chance is one of those little things you forget about, only to be occasionally pleasantly reminded of while your opponent grumbles about hax.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Mainly for zapdos and amoongus. Though Icepunch/shard also puts the hurt on ground and dragons. Rain and the watery nature of my team protects Weavile from fire threats and low kick makes weavile a semi-decent steel lure. A new addition to the team (replacing specs noivern) but seems to fit in well.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- hypnosis
- toxic
- ice beam
- scald

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

A weather setting must. A new more offensive set, courtesy of Lost Lord. At the moment, I tend to switch him in and out regularly. Though I have two other rainsetters on the team, the damp rock ensures that my team stays wet.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave

Once upon a time, this spot was for my nidoking. No longer.
T-T is switches in on thunder attacks predictably aimed at my politoad, and is often able to set up up a nasty plot, on the opponent's usual switch to ground pokemon. Sludgewave for the occasional fairy type.

Who? Anne? (Sawsbuck) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Jump Kick

... AAAAAAND presenting, from far down in PU, arguably the worst of SIX hoofed and horned pokemon lines introduced in gen 5: sawsbuck. Yeah - this used to be an assault vest scizor. I know. But I'm a little perverse sometimes.

Sawsbuck actually has utility on this team. Switch it in on a predictable spore, leech seed or grass attack aimed at m-swamp and anne's ready to eat. Not the fastest thing in the world, but already has proved more useful than scizor. AV scizor was great for lati@s but didn't have the stopping power of most of its other variants. I could have gone for choice, but its far too predicatble. Anne has already racked up a string of KOs.

Not a particularly competitive opposing team but here's Bland in action against the four musketeers of unova.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-191133466

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell

At last, my status woes are at an end! Lost lord suggested I try lati@s, which I did. Vaporeon however provides more setup/switch-in opportunities for swampert and sawsbuck.

Last edited:
I really like this team because you make weavile seems naturally fit for this team. I think I might try it out sometime because weavile is my favorite pokemon. However, I would opt out nidoking for gliscor which also has electric immunity and fighting resist. I think if your mega swampert ever goes down you need another go to guy to tank your hits and stall for some damage. Not to mention gliscor can set up stealth rocks for you too.
That assault vest scizor is a quite clever twist to the choice band set and it really works well with your rain team. I know pursuit has it's uses but perhaps knock off is an overall better asset to the team because even if they switch out the incoming pokemon will be losing it's item.
As for prankster status users, have you considered milotic? With the enemy electric types out milotic can wall the whole team with aqua ring.
I know I keep repeating myself but I am really impressed by this team. Good job!

Last edited:
As for prankster status users, have you considered milotic? With the enemy electric types out milotic can wall the whole team with aqua ring.
I know I keep repeating myself but I am really impressed by this team. Good job!
Milotic doesn't have Prankster... Is that what you're referring to, cause you're wrong
It also gets Recover, which is eons better than Aqua Ring.
Also, don't use Milotic in OU. It's completely outclassed.

Milotic doesn't have Prankster... Is that what you're referring to, cause you're wrong
It also gets Recover, which is eons better than Aqua Ring.
Also, don't use Milotic in OU. It's completely outclassed.
He said he doesn't have an answer to mega Sableye with will-o-wisp (prankster status move...) so I suggested milotic. Of course milotic doesn't get prankster... Even cod players know that. Did you read his whole post? And aqua ring is just an example. You can use both aqua ring and recover if you want. Even rest.
And to address your comment about how milotic is not viable in ou. Can you provide a pokemon who will be better in this specific case? Not all non ou pokemons are bad. In extreme cases, they can actually fit a specific role for a team perfectly. For example, pachirisu who won worlds.

Worlds is... well, a different world than OU.
Things that outclass Milotic: Sylveon, Rotom-W, and Suicune. Hell, even Vaporeon outclasses it directly.
I'm not sure if Suicune, Sylveon and rotom-w can tank a burn and be fine with it. Vaporeon is a nice idea as it heals statuses by itself. However, vaporeon doesn't have much defense and speed so it can't really tank but only stall with protect to heal. On the other hand, vaporeon can pass wish which is very nice.

As you can see, these two pokemons fill two different roles, one is a tank who tanks damage on the switch in and fire off attacks after recovering while the other is a cleric who can heal allies but needs to stall. Thus you can't really say one outclasses the other.

And the whole idea of aqua ring is to offset the burn damage while gaining the physical bulk from marvel scale so you can fire off attacks while healing and being extremely hard to kill since the enemy electric types are out.

Again, completely different than wish protect toxic stalling.

Last edited:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- hypnosis
- toxic
- ice beam
- scald

A weather setting must. Though I'm not sure about this set. Advice would be appreciated. At the moment, I tend to switch him in and out regularly. Though I have two other rainsetters on the team, the damp rock ensures that my team stays wet.
Very nice team! I'm going to consider running rain dance on my next team! Even so I have a suggestion.

There are 2 ways you can improve your politoed since you were a little unsure about how to.

1)Offesnsive Politoed

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

This is a politoed that hits hard and switches back out since you mainly switch him a lot. My advice for this set is to set up rain dance on the switch in, hit hard, and then let ludicolo or Mega Swampert take care of the rest with swift swim or any other Pokemon you want to switch in to. You could also just use this set to attack for a while. I suggested switching because you said you mainly switch him.

2)Choice Scarf

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Encore

This will make poli even stronger. Hydro pump with scarf should hold out pretty good if anyone sends out fire. Ice beam should do well against mega Pigeot or Pinsir if you come across them. Also any flying type in general. Focus blast for a hard hit to normals. Now for encore. Encore can be very useful. Encore the opposition and then see what move they use. After that switch in to a pokemon that resists that move. Have that Pokemon switched take care of it if possible. If not then see if you can withstand to take it out with its whole move set or just switch out if you want.

I hope this helped! This was my first rate and I think I did well :D

Last edited:
I really like this team because you make weavile seems naturally fit for this team. I think I might try it out sometime because weavile is my favorite pokemon. However, I would opt out nidoking for gliscor which also has electric immunity and fighting resist. I think if your mega swampert ever goes down you need another go to guy to tank your hits and stall for some damage. Not to mention gliscor can set up stealth rocks for you too.
That assault vest scizor is a quite clever twist to the choice band set and it really works well with your rain team. I know pursuit has it's uses but perhaps knock off is an overall better asset to the team because even if they switch out the incoming pokemon will be losing it's item.
Nido may have to go - he just doesn't hit quite hard enough. But instead of gliscor I was considering an electric mon. I've been walled out by bulky water types as of late.

Worlds is... well, a different world than OU.
Things that outclass Milotic: Sylveon, Rotom-W, and Suicune. Hell, even Vaporeon outclasses it directly.
Yeah my team just got wrecked by a vaporeon. ._. Gigadrain just doesn't hit hard enough.

1)Offesnsive Politoed

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

I hope this helped! This was my first rate and I think I did well :D
Trying this guy out! I'll give the scarfset a shot too, though I'm sure I'll miss the 3 extra turns of rain provided by damp rock.

Maybe rotom w then? Immune to ground, could tank electric hits. Can spam thunder in the rain.
Great Pokemon. I got kinda tired of using him all the time though! I'm testing thunderus-t atm... but I haven't completely written off nidoking yet. He can do his thing in the sand, and he's been a handy revenge killer.

same. Im trying out thundurus t on my team too for that electric and groud resist but so far he's just too slow and gets revenge killed easily unless you run modest with agility (but then you can break walls)

What bulky waters are you having trouble with that Ludicolo can't take out? Even with recovery methods, you'll be able to recover alongside them with Giga Drain and most of the time, outdamage their heals.

I guess, if you're looking for more power, you could consider switching its nature from Timid to Modest, or switch out Giga Drain for Energy Ball, which has 15 more BP, but I don't see Bulky Waters as a problem for Colo. Modest still allows you to oustpeed the whole unboosted meta (past M-dactyl, which is a good benchmark), but leaves you a bit open to certain scarfers.

Consider replacing your Nidoking with Latias. The Dragon is common on rain teams for a reason, providing you the fighting and electric resists that you lose in Nidoking while tackling on more, such as grass and water. Latias can also use thunderbolt to handle some bulky waters (or maybe even Thunder if you're gutsy or really good at handling rain turns) or psyshock to hit annoying grass/poison mons that trouble rain teams. Latias also has great utility, with recover so it can come in and out of the fight, defog which can give you hazard control, or healing wish which can revitalize one of your rain sweepers and allow you to play more recklessly (for example, letting your Swampert get burned to finish off a poke or letting Ludicolo get paralyzed if Swamp is down).

You're probably familiar with the typical Latias set, but here's an importable:

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock/Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Healing Wish/Recover

same. Im trying out thundurus t on my team too for that electric and groud resist but so far he's just too slow and gets revenge killed easily unless you run modest with agility (but then you can break walls)
yeah he can be pretty frustratingly slow. But has a fairly intimidating presence in the field. I find I can force a lot of switches after bringing him in.

What bulky waters are you having trouble with that Ludicolo can't take out? Even with recovery methods, you'll be able to recover alongside them with Giga Drain and most of the time, outdamage their heals.

I guess, if you're looking for more power, you could consider switching its nature from Timid to Modest, or switch out Giga Drain for Energy Ball, which has 15 more BP, but I don't see Bulky Waters as a problem for Colo. Modest still allows you to oustpeed the whole unboosted meta (past M-dactyl, which is a good benchmark), but leaves you a bit open to certain scarfers.

Consider replacing your Nidoking with Latias. The Dragon is common on rain teams for a reason, providing you the fighting and electric resists that you lose in Nidoking while tackling on more, such as grass and water. Latias can also use thunderbolt to handle some bulky waters (or maybe even Thunder if you're gutsy or really good at handling rain turns) or psyshock to hit annoying grass/poison mons that trouble rain teams. Latias also has great utility, with recover so it can come in and out of the fight, defog which can give you hazard control, or healing wish which can revitalize one of your rain sweepers and allow you to play more recklessly (for example, letting your Swampert get burned to finish off a poke or letting Ludicolo get paralyzed if Swamp is down).

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish/Recover

Thanks! Defog'll and healing wish will be very welcomed on my teem - I'll try it out

Ludicolo (along with mswamp) is really my fasted guy on the field under rain. with a modest nature I'd be scared of scarfers.

I have settled with choice scarf timid for now. I find that it is a pretty good revenge killer who has a lot of opportunities for free switch ins.

I think you should make your politoed more specially defensive and maybe add rest/sleep talk scald toxic as the moveset instead so you have a decent pivot when something like greninja comes in because none of your other mons really appreciate taking a hit from that when it comes in

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish/Recover

It depends on what type of latias you're running. That is an offensive latias. If you want a healer latias to keep your mega healthy then run it with leftovers. also put wish on it to heal the mega. the other moves can be whatever.

I think you should make your politoed more specially defensive and maybe add rest/sleep talk scald toxic as the moveset instead so you have a decent pivot when something like greninja comes in because none of your other mons really appreciate taking a hit from that when it comes in
No one runs grass knot greninja so why does it matter

Last edited:
Because politoed wont be able o freely switch in on greninjas attacks.. He doesnt need grass knot to deal with offensive politoed

It depends on what type of latias you're running. That is an offensive latias. If you want a healer latias to keep your mega healthy then run it with leftovers. also put wish on it to heal the mega. the other moves can be whatever.
I don't understand why you would run this "healer" bulky Latias. While leftovers is not a horrible item on it, it shafts Latias's unique combination of power and natural defenses, with obvious emphasis on the former.

Healing Wish already provides a method of team recovery for one of his mons, while simultaneously clearing status, which can be game-changing for rain teams that depend so heavily on their sweepers.

I'm open to you showing me a set that would work in his case, but at the current moment, I'm not convinced. I would write more but I hate typing on a phone -.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)