Stoutland-Troll Support Set

Do you think this set deserves a little love?

• Total voters
I feel Stoutland is often overlooked as a decent lower tier tank.
Try this set I came up with;

Stoutland @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Snarl
- Rock Tomb
- Protect
- Charm/Toxic

With snarl and rock tomb, taunt becomes much less effective. Plus, he actually has some really decent bulk with 85 base Hp, and 90 in both defenses. Also, with a 70 speed, he can get a support move in more reliably than you would expect. I will admit that it isn't always the best in singles, seeing as you can usually just switch out, but team him up with a shadow tagger in doubles and enemies become nearly helpless.

This set honestly should be looked at and made into a Smogon suggested.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Hey there

first of all, i hate when people use that word 'troll' like this, but generally any set called 'troll' sucks major wang. Take your set:

This set really isn't that bulky, and it doesn't really do any damage either.

The following Pokemon can set up on it (or abuse it in some other way)for free, or nearly:

Any Substitute-using Pokemon

Any hazards user

Any Rapid Spin user or Defog User

Quiver Dance Lilligant (It will either get maximum Special Attack and Special Defense, or maximum Special Defense and Speed, or a combination of the two. Either is bad, and it can actually put you to sleep once it's maxed out one to work on the other.)

Any Rain Dance or Sunny Day user

Swords Dance Pawniard (Defiant cancels Charm)

Any Taunt user with setup moves

Any user of Wish or Heal Bell can go ahead and heal up the whole team

Any Pokemon with a healing move, especially Pain Split, can go ahead and heal itself up

Any user of Rest or sleeping Pokemon can heal/wake up

Some other shit I probably missed

By the way, any slow user of Volt Switch or U-turn can easily take the stat drop, then go to a hard hitter who will deal a huge amount of damage to you.

If you use Toxic, you get rid of some (though not all by a longshot) of these, but Swords Dance users such as Feraligatr and Samurott, who have priority as well, can also set up, as can various Dragon Dance users.

In addition to this, any defensive team at all doesn't care about you, at all, and will just either hit you with a status-preventing you from healing, ever-or force you to switch out of said status and hit some other Pokemon instead. Also, Knock Off will stop you from healing.

On top of all that, you're not that bulky.

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stoutland: 153-183 (40.9 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(153, 156, 157, 160, 161, 164, 165, 168, 169, 172, 173, 175, 177, 179, 181, 183)

-1 252 Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 118-139 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 81.3% chance to 3HKO
(118, 118, 120, 121, 123, 124, 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139)

Although these are fairly powerful hits in the NU metagame, they're not boosted by any item. Now, neither of these calculations would be so bad, but the fact is, you can't really force either to switch out! Although you can hit Kangaskhan with a Charm, that won't stop it from outspeeding you and attacking you again(you're not faster than almost any Pokemon that is interested in its Speed stat), and Ludicolo can take a few Snarls before it has to switch out. Meanwhile, you've taken a very large amount of damage, probably preventing you from doing something like this again, and although you've forced the opposing Pokemon to switch out, you haven't really accomplished much beyond this...and on top of all that, one of the above Pokemon is probably switching in to set up on you or something of that variety.

In short, although the set is annoying ("trolly") you're really accomplishing very little;at best, it will serve as a roadblock to some Pokemon who are weak to Rock or Dark, and stall for a bit, basically accomplishing very little. Of course, at worst, you'll allow some Pokemon to set up for free and sweep your team. Finally,

-2 252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 342-404 (91.4 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Even should you predict the switch-in of a powerful Fighting-type and use Charm, you'll still be hit very, very hard.

By the by

"team him up with a shadow tagger in doubles and enemies become nearly helpless."

I really doubt that, but in any case, that's not relevant at all to this forum as it's not a doubles forum, but rather an NU one, which you seemed to understand by talking about how it's a decent lower tiers tank. (Even if there was an NU doubles tier and this forum was the place to suggest things for it-nope and nope, by the way-, there aren't any Shadow Taggers down here, so that's irrelevant anyhow). Don't just toss out all the merits of a Pokemon if they're not relevant to hype it up, that just weakens your argument.

I appreciate the input. Yes, the set does have flaws, and yes it can't do much on it's own (which I actually said earlier), but it does provide double teams with a decent wall that can cripple setup sweepers, which are as bountiful as rattatas and zubats. I really just don't think you're giving it enough credit. I'm not saying it's the best use for Stoutland, but it is pretty good in doubles.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I appreciate the input. Yes, the set does have flaws, and yes it can't do much on it's own (which I actually said earlier), but it does provide double teams with a decent wall that can cripple setup sweepers, which are as bountiful as rattatas and zubats. I really just don't think you're giving it enough credit. I'm not saying it's the best use for Stoutland, but it is pretty good in doubles.
Good for it, but this is NOT a forum related to doubles, as I said earlier. If you want to go bother the Doubles people, then go do that, but don't mention such an irrelevant piece of information right here.(Please, please don't do this by the way;this sucks ass real bad in doubles too). By the way, setup sweepers are quite rare in Doubles.

By the way, this does NOT cripple setup sweepers;at best, it stops them from setting up and makes them switch out, and a lot of them can still set up anyways!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)