Yokatta...
Overview
########
  • Respectable base 110 Attack stat.
  • Awesome Sand Rush ability.
  • Nice 85/90/90 defenses.
  • Good coverage moves.
  • Unbelievably fast in the sand.
  • Able to run Adamant because it outspeeds the entire unboosted tier when the sand is up.
  • Reliant on Sand Rush.
  • Weather isn't permanent.
Dog Rush
########
name: Dog Rush
move 1: Return
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Superpower / Pursuit / Wild Charge
ability: Sand Rush
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • Return for strong STAB and does a ton of damage to Pokemon that don't resist.
  • Crunch hits Ghost-types that might try to wall Stoutland and is super effective against Jirachi and Metagross, common Steel-types in the tier.
  • Fire Fang because Forretress.
  • Superpower hits Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Empoleon really hard while also getting a guaranteed OHKO on stuff like Hydreigon.
  • Pursuit can revenge kill Pokemon like Victini after a V-Create, Chandelure, Azelf, and the like.
  • Wild Charge has a 98% chance to 2HKO Slowbro in the Sand, so it's for most bulky waters.
Set Details
========
  • With max Speed EVs, Stoutland outspeeds every relevant Pokemon in the tier after the Sand Rush boost, including Choice Scarf Mienshao.
  • Max Attack, obviously to hit as hard as possible.
  • Adamant because the extra speed Jolly can give is unnecessary.
  • Sand Rush because everything else it gets sucks and being able to revenge kill and sweep late-game is awesome.
  • Choice Band for tons of power and works really well while under the sand. Life Orb can be used if you want to switch moves, but the power decrease is noticeable and it's more difficult to revenge kill Pokemon.
Usage Tips
========
  • Stoutland is only really good in the Sand; otherwise, it's mostly dead weight.
  • You should really only use it in Sand-based teams.
  • Use Stoutland as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner.
  • Spam Return late-game.
  • Stoutland has okay bulk, but it can't take too many hits. Don't let it take hits at all if running Life Orb because Stoutland will be losing enough HP from Life Orb recoil as is.
Team Options
========
  • Hippowdon needs to be on the same team as Stoutland because it needs the sand to do anything worthwhile.
  • Status absorbers like Guts Heracross so Pokemon like Sableye don't burn Stoutland.
  • Stoutland fits better on more offensive teams so it can do it's job as a revenge killer. Fast and strong Pokemon like Victini and Raikou can work effectively.
  • Stoutland is only good in the sand, so it's better to have other teammates that can benefit from having the sand there. Some examples are Rhyperior and Gastrodon.
  • If Stoutland is banded, it will need teammates that can take hits for it. Pokemon like Florges and Slowbro can preform nicely in this role.
Other Options
########
  • Play Rough can be used for Pokemon like Sableye, Machamp, and similar Pokemon, but Play Rough is pretty much mediocre in every other way.
  • Bulky Intimidate is a poor set because yes, Stoutland can be quite bulky after the Intimidate, but it lacks the necessary support moves to pull it off and is outclassed by other Pokemon in this role.
  • A Howl boosting set can be used, but Stoutland isn't strong enough as a setup sweeper and it isn't wise to waste turns boosting up when sand is limited.
  • Retaliate can be run to make Stoutland a pure revenge killer, but it's BP is pathetic if it isn't used the turn after an ally fainted and keeps Stoutland constrained to one role.
Checks and Counters
########

**Hippowdon**: Physically Defensive Hippowdon can take any attack from Stoutland and stall it out with Slack Off and Toxic or Earthquake.

**Mega Aggron**: Mega Aggron takes a pitiful amount from Superpower and can retaliate with Thunder Wave or a powerful Heavy Slam.

**Slowbro**: If Stoutland lacks Wild Charge, then Slowbro can successfully wall Stoutland and threaten it out with Scald and gain its HP back with Slack Off, but it's a shaky counter and has a chance of getting 2HKOd after Stealth Rock and Sandstorm damage.

**Sableye**: Can take a Crunch or Wild Charge from Stoutland and burn it with a priority Will-O-Wisp.

**Steel-types**: If Stoutland is banded, Steel-types like Jirachi and Metagross stop Stoutland from spamming Return and require prediction.

**Rock-types**: If Stoutland is banded, Rock-types like Rhyperior and Mega Aerodactyl stop Stoutland from spamming Return and require prediction.

**Ghost-types**: If Stoutland is banded, Ghost-types like Chandelure and Trevenant stop Stoutland from spamming Return and require prediction.

**Priority**: Powerful priority from Pokemon like Entei and Honchkrow can deal a considerably large amount of damage on Stoutland.

**Opposing Weather**: Opposing weather can make Stoutland's role much more difficult. Abomasnow is the only Pokemon in UU that can cause a different weather effect with it's ability, but other Pokemon like Sunny Day Houndoom can manually change the weather and reduce Stoutland's effectiveness.

QC: [FLCL] [Ernesto] [Meru]
GP: [Unfixable / Minus] [Calm Pokemaster]

Mustachio

Overview
########

Stoutland is one of the best sand sweepers in the UU tier thanks to its ability Sand Rush, which gives it blistering Speed under a sandstorm. Combine this with its excellent base 110 Attack, great coverage options, and a powerful STAB Return, and you have an amazing revenge killer and late-game cleaner. It also has surprisingly good bulk, enabling it to take a hit or two if it needs to. Unfortunately, Stoutland is entirely dependent on the sand, which if absent leaves it outsped by most threats. Nonetheless, Stoutland can make a great addition to any team given the right support, and is definitely a threat to be reckoned with.

Dog Rush
########
name: Dog Rush
move 1: Return
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Superpower / Pursuit / Wild Charge
ability: Sand Rush
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Stoutland's STAB Return is very powerful and hits a large portion of the metagame for heavy damage. Crunch hits Ghost-types that are immune to Return, as well as being super effective against Metagross and Jirachi. Fire Fang is useful to hit Forretress, which otherwise walls Stoutland, while also hitting other Steel-types. In the fourth moveslot, Stoutland can run Superpower to hit Steel-, Dark-, and Rock-types, but be wary of the stat drops that occur. Pursuit can be quite handy to successfully revenge kill Victini after a V-create, along with other Psychic- and Ghost-types that feel threatened by Stoutland's presence. Wild Charge is also a nice choice to hit bulky Water-types like Mega Blastoise and Milotic harder than its other coverage moves.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread enables Stoutland to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarf Mienshao while it's in the sand, as well as maximizing its offensive potential. An Adamant nature is used to give Stoutland a bit more power; while a Jolly nature can be used, the extra Speed is usually unnecessary unless Choice Scarf Infernape is feared. Sand Rush doubles Stoutland's Speed in the sand. Choice Band is the preferred item as it lets Stoutland break through walls like Slowbro after some prior damage, but Life Orb can be used if switching moves is preferable at the cost of some power.

Usage Tips
========

Stoutland is not very effective outside of the sand, so it should only be used on sand teams. Use it as a revenge killer that can also clean up late-game with Return. Stoutland shouldn't be taking too many hits, but it can come in on a neutral hit once or twice.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon is a must for Stoutland because it is the only Pokemon in UU with the ability Sand Stream. A Will-O-Wisp absorber like Guts Heracross is useful to take on Pokemon such as Sableye that threaten to burn Stoutland with Will-O-Wisp. It fits better on more offensively oriented teams so it can take advantage of its role as a revenge killer. Pokemon like Rhyperior and Gastrodon fit well because they are immune to the sand that Hippowdon summons. Choice Band Stoutland appreciates bulkier teammates such as Florges and Slowbro, as they can take on Fighting-type Pokemon amongst others.

Other Options
========

Play Rough can be used to hit Sableye and Fighting-types such as Machamp, but it is usually a mediocre coverage option otherwise. A bulky Intimidate set may seem like an interesting option, but Stoutland lacks the support moves to effectively pull this off and is outclassed by other Pokemon in this role. A boosting set with Howl can be used, but it is unwise to waste turns boosting when the duration of sand is limited. Retaliate can make Stoutland a pure revenge killer, but deals pathetic damage if an ally didn't faint the previous turn and it keeps Stoutland confined to one role. Silk Scarf is an nice option to bluff a Choice Band and power up Return and Retaliate, but Stoutland's coverage moves will then deal an underwhelming amount of damage.

Checks & Counters
========

**Hippowdon**: Physically defensive Hippowdon can take any attack from Stoutland and stall it out with Slack Off, Toxic, and Earthquake.

**Mega Aggron**: Mega Aggron takes a pitiful amount of damage from even Superpower and can retaliate with Thunder Wave or Heavy Slam.

**Slowbro**: If Stoutland lacks Wild Charge, then Slowbro can successfully wall it, threaten it out with Scald, and gain its HP back with Slack Off. However, it's a shaky counter as it has a chance of getting 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage.

**Sableye**: Sableye can take a Crunch or Wild Charge from Stoutland and burn it with a priority Will-O-Wisp.

**Infernape**: Infernape is the only relevant Choice Scarf user that can outspeed and OHKO Adamant Stoutland in the sand.

**Rock-, Steel-, and Ghost-types**: If Stoutland is running Choice Band, Steel-, Rock-, and Ghost-types such as Jirachi, Rhyperior, and Chandelure stop it from abusing Return; however, they can be hit super effectively on a predicted switch-in.

**Priority**: Powerful priority from Pokemon such as Entei, Honchkrow, and Infernape can deal considerable damage to Stoutland, especially the latter as it can hit Stoutland with a super effective Mach Punch. Special sets from Infernape and Lucario can also hit Stoutland with Vacuum Wave.

**Opposing Weather**: Opposing weather can make Stoutland's role much more difficult. Abomasnow is the only Pokemon in UU that can summon a different weather immediately, but other Pokemon like Sunny Day Houndoom can manually change the weather and reduce Stoutland's effectiveness.

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I talked about this guy in IRC so I think I got everything. I could be wrong though. Anyway, this is ready to be checked.

Koko lied to me so feel free to keep working on this

Edit @below: I don't care much about Tangrowth, but yea, you should post that you're leaving it up for reservation again.

Last edited:

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a nitpick, I would say sunny day houndoom, not sun god cuz it's not as well known, but what do i know?

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Imo list Slowbro, Mega Aero, Sableye, and Rhyperior as counters, as they're some of the most difficult things to muscle past when using Stoutland.

Idk if mentioning opposing weather is really a good idea

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Imo list Slowbro, Mega Aero, Sableye, and Rhyperior as counters, as they're some of the most difficult things to muscle past when using Stoutland.

Idk if mentioning opposing weather is really a good idea
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 328-388 (108.6 - 128.4%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 194-230 (49.2 - 58.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 229-270 (52.7 - 62.2%)

I won't be adding Mega Aero, but I can add bulky Pokemon in general to the C&C just because if they can get a safe switch-in, then they can take a hit and retaliate. I can't believe I forgot to mention Sableye. I will definitely mention opposing weather because the only reason why Stoutland is even good is because of the Sand. Without it, it's basically dead weight. Thanks for the tips though.

If running Choice Band/Scarf, scrappy is viable on Stoutland, because ghosts don't force a switch because of what Scrappy does : (This Pokemon can hit Ghost-types with Normal- and Fighting-type moves.)

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
If running Choice Band/Scarf, scrappy is viable on Stoutland, because ghosts don't force a switch because of what Scrappy does : (This Pokemon can hit Ghost-types with Normal- and Fighting-type moves.)
Scrappy is very unviable tbh. Stoutland just isn't fast enough to actually make it useful. Plus, it already has Crunch to catch Ghost-types on the switch. If I wanted to use a Pokemon with Scrappy, then I'd just use something like Exploud. Without Sand Rush, Stoutland is outclassed by other Choice Scarf/Band Pokemon like Mienshao and Victini.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 328-388 (108.6 - 128.4%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 194-230 (49.2 - 58.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 229-270 (52.7 - 62.2%)

I won't be adding Mega Aero, but I can add bulky Pokemon in general to the C&C just because if they can get a safe switch-in, then they can take a hit and retaliate. I can't believe I forgot to mention Sableye. I will definitely mention opposing weather because the only reason why Stoutland is even good is because of the Sand. Without it, it's basically dead weight. Thanks for the tips though.
I've used Stoutland extensively, and while yes, it does have good coverage options to nail those switch-ins, the primary focus is to get down to spamming Return, which those listed Pokemon make incredibly difficult to do.

And opposing weather is for the most part, extinct in UU, so mentioning it is completely pointless.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I've used Stoutland extensively, and while yes, it does have good coverage options to nail those switch-ins, the primary focus is to get down to spamming Return, which those listed Pokemon make incredibly difficult to do.

And opposing weather is for the most part, extinct in UU, so mentioning it is completely pointless.
I know it's very rare to see opposing weather, but it stops Stoutland from doing its job, so it belongs in Checks and Counters. Stoutland is a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, so Stoutland shouldn't be spamming Return unless these Pokemon are weakened or fainted.

Meru

ate them up
I know it's very rare to see opposing weather, but it stops Stoutland from doing its job, so it belongs in Checks and Counters. Stoutland is a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, so Stoutland shouldn't be spamming Return unless these Pokemon are weakened or fainted.
AKA it needs to have those checks and counters removed or weakened, which is what those Pokemon are, which is why I'm saying they belong in that section. Especially Aerodactyl and ESPECIALLY Rhyperior, as they're immune to Sandstorm damage.

For opposing weather, I think if anything, it should be a small sentence at the very end of the section, and it should also be tied in with Sand running out. It should definitely not be the first thing listed, as there are much more prominent and effective reasons as to why Stoutland has checks and counters.

Meru

ate them up
Also alongside the 110 base attack stat in the overview, make note that its deceptively stronger than that, as its able to run Adamant and still outpace the entire damn tier

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
AKA it needs to have those checks and counters removed or weakened, which is what those Pokemon are, which is why I'm saying they belong in that section. Especially Aerodactyl and ESPECIALLY Rhyperior, as they're immune to Sandstorm damage.

For opposing weather, I think if anything, it should be a small sentence at the very end of the section, and it should also be tied in with Sand running out. It should definitely not be the first thing listed, as there are much more prominent and effective reasons as to why Stoutland has checks and counters.
They don't need to be removed or weakened because 1) Stoutland has the coverage to take care of these threats 2) Choice Band isn't the only viable item on Stoutland. Rhyperior is in C&C already, so idk why you're making that extensive. If you're considering Choice Band, then I'd have TONS of Pokemon in C&C just because a lot of Pokemon can switch into a resisted hit (which is true for all Choiced Pokemon). Under bulky Pokemon, I can say that they can switch into a resisted hit easily.

Last edited:
I already have bulky Pokemon that can switch into a choice locked move and resist it... How are they different at all?
They're not, really. It's just that those are the specific examples you should list, since those are the most troublesome. (According to Meru, at least, whose word I'll take.)

Look, I like to think that I'm usually pretty civil on the forums, but Meru's right, you bloody knobhead, so stop arguing about this and just put those Pokemon, because while Stoutland does have the coverage options to deal with them, they require prediction and are strong checks.

I'd also like to add that I dislike seeing Sableye listed among priority users. Priority is meant for revenge killing, and Sableye can actually switch in and force Stoutland out (Crunch does around half, so it needs a drop and SR to KO after the burn). I'd honestly put it on its own section since it only really fears the OO Play Rough.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Look, I like to think that I'm usually pretty civil on the forums, but Meru's right, you bloody knobhead, so stop arguing about this and just put those Pokemon, because while Stoutland does have the coverage options to deal with them, they require prediction and are strong checks.
I asked how they were different so I can put them in C&C separately. No need to be rude.
I'd also like to add that I dislike seeing Sableye listed among priority users. Priority is meant for revenge killing, and Sableye can actually switch in and force Stoutland out (Crunch does around half, so it needs a drop and SR to KO after the burn). I'd honestly put it on its own section since it only really fears the OO Play Rough.
Added. It was late last night, so I wasn't able to make all of the recommendations I got as soon as I had wished.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)