PU Stoutland

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########

When using sand in PU, having Stoutland is a must, as it is a great sweeper in the sand. Its ability Sand Rush, doubles its Speed whilst in the sand, allowing it to outpace the unboosted metagame. Stoutland has a variety of coverage moves which let it hit hard offensively, such as Crunch, Superpower, and Wild Charge. However, when sand is removed, it is outclassed by other Normal-types such as Tauros, Bouffalant, and Purugly; as such, Stoutland should only be used on sand teams.

Sand Sweeper
########
name: Sand Sweeper
move 1: Return
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Wild Charge / Retaliate
ability: Sand Rush
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Return is Stoutland's main STAB move and should be used against any Pokemon that does not resist it. Crunch is used to hit Ghost-types, such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist-S, super effectively. Superpower is used as coverage to hit Rock- and Steel-types such as Bastiodon, Aurorus, and Golem. Wild Charge can be used as coverage for Water- and Flying-types, specifically Pelipper. Retaliate can be used to revenge kill Pokemon after a teammate has been KOed, as it gets powered up to 140 Base Power and then goes back down to a decent 70 Base Power.

Set Details
========

The spread is a standard offensive one, with maximum Attack and Speed investment. Choice Band increases Stoutland's Attack and doesn't deal recoil damage, but locks it into one move. Life Orb is used to increase Stoutland's damage output at the cost of a little HP, while still letting it switch moves. An Adamant nature is used to increase Stoutland's Attack, as under sand Stoutland outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame and does not need the extra Speed from a Jolly nature.

Usage Tips
========

Sand should be set up before attempting to bring in or sweep with Stoutland. Stoutland should not be directly switched in, as it can result in Stoutland being inflicted with status or unwanted damage. Because of this, Stoutland should only be brought in after one of your Pokemon has fainted or on a double switch. Keep Hippopotas alive for as long as possible, as having sand up is a must for Stoutland so it can outspeed and KO opposing Pokemon. Predict switch-ins to walls and use the appropriate coverage move so as to not waste precious turns of sand. Opponents will try and stall out sand turns by switching into Pokemon that resist Stoutland's move. This can be avoided by getting Toxic Spikes and other entry hazards up as soon as possible. Hazards also help to wear down checks and counters to Stoutland, such as Rock- and Steel-types, before attempting to sweep. When hazards are up, double switching to threaten out opposing Pokemon is also a good way to quickly wear down checks and counters to Stoutland, because with the offensive pressure put on them they will be unable to heal off any damage from the sand and hazards. Hippopotas should only be sacrificed late-game to get sand up one last time before bringing in Stoutland to sweep, and this should only be done if you know Stoutland can KO all of the remaining Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Hippopotas is a required teammate for Stoutland, as it can set up both sand and Stealth Rock. Entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes can quickly wear down an opponent's team when coupled with sand, so Pokemon that can set Toxic Spikes such as Garbodor and Roselia make for good teammates. Serperior synergizes well with Garbodor and Stoutland, as it can take Ground-type moves and can check opposing Rock-type Pokemon. Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta or Golem can take advantage of sand's boost to their Special Defense. Pursuit trappers such as Sneasel can take out the opponent's Ghost-types so that Stoutland is free to spam its Normal-type attacks. Other powerul Normal-type Pokemon such as Tauros and Bouffalant make for good partners, as they have similar checks which they can wear down and can open up a sweeping opportunity for one another.

Other Options
########

Some other options include Fire Fang and Ice Fang, which are useful for getting coverage on Grass-types. Pursuit can be used to trap opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, but that is best left to a teammate. Play Rough can be useful coverage to hit Fighting-types. Sleep Talk can be used if you need a Pokemon that can handle being asleep on your team. Substitute can be used to prevent status and ease prediction, but it tends to waste sand turns and is thus not recommended. Work Up can be used to boost Stoutland's Attack.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls such as Avalugg and Gourgeist-S can take a hit from Stoutland and either recover off damage or burn Stoutland. Avalugg can't switch directly into a Choice Band Return with Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and sand up as it can be 2HKOed, but it can switch in if entry hazards are not up or it has sacked a teammate. Once Avalugg is in, it can proceed to recover off any damage and stall out the sand. Gourgeist-S can predict a Return and switch in, but risks being 2HKOed by Crunch. Once in, it can burn Stoutland and recover health with Leech Seed. Gourgeist-S can also take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into Return, Superpower, or Wild Charge, as it gets a free switch-in and can proceed to use its utility moves.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Drifblim, and Haunter can take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into either Return or Superpower as it provides a free switch for them. Drifblim and Misdreavus can burn Stoutland with Will-O-Wisp, and Haunter can either set up a Substitute or damage whatever Stoutland switches out to. However, they have to be wary of Life Orb Stoutland, as it can OHKO them with Crunch.

**Rock-types**: Rock types such as Golem, Barbaracle, and Bastiodon can take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into Return, as they take minimal damage from it. However, Life Orb Stoutland can just OHKO them with Superpower. Rock-types can get around this by baiting the Superpower and bringing in a Pokemon that resists it, as after the Attack drop Stoutland loses some of its power and is easily forced out.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh or Poliwrath can live one hit from Stoutland and KO it with their STAB moves; however, they can not switch directly into Stoutland as they risk being 2HKOed. Throh and Poliwrath can come in on a double switch, a predicted Crunch, or after a teammate has been KOed.

**Other Weather**: Other weather, such as sun, rain, or hail, mitigates Stoutland's Speed boost. Weather teams are fairly obvious, as they carry weather setters such as Carbink, Meowstic, and Volbeat on sun teams and setters such as Murkrow, Meowstic, and Illumise on rain teams.

**Status**: Status such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Thunder Wave all cripple Stoutland. Burn halves Stoutland's attacking stat and Pokemon such as Gourgeist-S, Camerupt, and Drifblim all commonly carry Will-O-Wisp. Toxic quickly wears down Stoutland and limits the amount of time it can sweep, between Life Orb recoil and Toxic damage; Pokemon such as Avalugg, Garbodor, and Bastiodon commonly carry it. Thunder Wave reduces Stoutland's Speed, which is one of the biggest things going for it, Pokemon such as Stunfisk and Grumpig commonly carry Thunder Wave.

**Lack of Sand**: When sand is not up, Stoutland can be easily revenge killed by faster threats, the best way to keep sand around is by keeping Hippopotas alive.

Overview
########
  • Sand is a must when running Stoutland and it should be on any sand teams
  • Great sand sweeper, ability sand rush increases speed whilst in sand
  • Good coverage, hits hard offensively
  • Faces competition from other Normal-types such as Tauros, Bouffalant, and Purugly
  • Struggles outside of sand

Offensive Sand
########
name: Offensive Sand
move 4: Play Rough / Retaliate
item: Life Orb / Choice Band

Moves
========
  • Return is the main STAB
  • Crunch to hit Ghost-types
  • Superpower to hit Rock- and Steel-types
  • Play Rough to hit Fighting-types hard
  • Retaliate to hit an opponent hard after one of your Pokemon faints

Set Details
========
  • Standard offensive spread
  • Life Orb for increased damage
  • Choice Band to hit hard
  • Sand Rush doubles Stoutlands speed in sand

Usage Tips
========
  • Setup sand before trying to sweep
  • Predict switchins of walls and use the appropriate coverage move so as not to waste turns of sand
  • Wear down counters / checks (Rock- / Steel- types) to Stoutland before attempting to sweep

Team Options
========
  • Hippopotas is pretty much a required teammate as it can auto set up Sandstorm
  • Entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes can quickly wear down an opponents team, Pokemon such as Garbodor or Roselia make good teammates
  • Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta, Golem take advantage of the Sandstorm boost
  • Pursuit trappers such as Sneasel can take out any of the opponents Ghost-types so that way Stoutland is free to spam Normal-type attacks
  • Other powerful Normal-types such as Tauros or Bouffalant make good partners because they can wear down each others walls and open up a sweeping opportunity for one another

Other Options
########
  • Fire Fang / Ice Fang
  • Pursuit
  • Sleep Talk
  • Substitute
  • Work Up

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls such as Avalugg, Pelipper, or Gourgeist-S can all wall Stoutland, however they have to be wary of Stoutland's coverage moves

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types can prevent Stoutland from spamming its Normal-type attack, however they have to be weary of Crunch

**Rock-types**: Rock types such as Golem, Barbaracle, and Bastiodon take little from Stoutland's Normal-type attacks but have to be wary of Superpower

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh or Poliwrath can threaten out Stoutland with a powerful STAB move

**Counter Weather**: Counter weather such as sun or rain hail lol, mitigates Stoutland's speed boost

**Status**: Statuses suchs as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Thunder Wave all cripple Stoutland

**Lack of Sand**: Stoutland's biggest assest is having a Sandstorm up, without this Stoutland can be easily revenge killed by faster threats.

Last edited:
Reactions: trc

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Moving this to QC stage, will add in examples for the C&C in a bit.

Edit: alright edited in C&C

Last edited:
Slash Choice Band aftrr Life Orb. You will want to spam return most of the time anyway and I very much prefer it to Life Orb because Stoutland has to take hazards damage quite often as it is susceptible to all of them and sand turns sadly end/can't come out only late game.
Ice Fang looks quite awful to me as return hits almost any target harder but Play Rough is definitely moves worthy as it hits Poliwrath really hard guaranteeing the 2HKO form full in combo with return if used with Life Orb.
Remove gigalith mention and mention Normal types that paired with Stoutland can easily overwhelm their checks. Good examples are Purugly and Tauros (even chatot)
Pursuit sneasel is another cool partner to trap ghosts
Add rock types and ghost types in c&c and move the fighting type mention down.

Do that and 1/3

-Be sure to stress in the overview that Stoutland is the only reason to run sand, and that sand is the only reason to run Stoutland as well. Running one without the other is a terrible idea, so this could use a bit more emphasis.

-I wouldn't really mention manual sand setters, as most of them just stack weaknesses with hippo and generally have better things to be doing. Furthermore, baby hippo has SR so you don't need any of them for that either. I guess if you could find better setters to mention you could mention them, but the ones you have now don't really seem to work that well as sand setters.

-remove CB from OO since it's slashed, and remove scrappy and intimidate because there are so many other good normals that dog isn't even viable without sand. I also don't see the point of iron head since carbink is really rare and niche and other fairies are hit by return.

Other than that this looks really solid.

QC 2/3

also this was my first ever QC check n_n

Ares

grats on your first check lol, and this is gonna be weird writing it up before 3/3, so used to NUs ways. o.o dont hate if the writing is terrible xD

stuff above is implemented, will write in a sec

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I also don't see the point of iron head since carbink is really rare and niche and other fairies are hit by return.
Well if you want to put it like that, Play Rough is also only for Fighting-types that don't even resist Return. While Play Rough can 2HKO Poliwrath almost all of the time, Spikes allows Return to achieve the same result (and the Spikers are mentioned as teammates). Without Iron Head, Stoutland is hardwalled by Carbink, while Stout without Play Rough isn't nearly as worse off against Fighting-types. Carbink's rarity means Iron Head can't be anything more than a 'Moves' mention, but it can definitely stay in OO imo.

I'll check this when I get back, please no one check it since then as I have a lot of input.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
fuk TRC

Slash Choice Band before Life Orb. galbia meant this in his above post and his reasoning actually refers to CB, but he choked and said the opposite.

Play Rough should be replaced with Wild Charge on the set and moved to OO. Wild Charge 2HKOs Poliwrath 100% of the time even with Life Orb after sand + SR, and also 2HKOs Togetic after SR. Also defeats Pelipper. Play Rough was pretty useless anyway because Poliwrath is also hit by Wild Charge while Throh is 2HKOed by Return.

K I've given my input, TRC will stamp it when he gives his a lot of input :]

Ares

Alright TRC I made a lot of similar changes like you suggested on Gourgeist-S, an area that might need some expansion is Usage Tips, any suggestions are welcome.

Ares

+TRC: link analysis
+TRC: ill do this quick
+TRC: and you can copy the log
+TRC: for remembering
+Montsegur: i also went through and beefed up stuff with similar stuff as suggested on Gourgeist-shttp://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stoutland-qc-2-3-written.3519247/
+TRC: ya i sae
+TRC: saw*
+TRC: change opening line to
+TRC: when using sand, stoutlant is a must
+TRC: u want to emphasise
+TRC: stoutland is a reason to use sand
+TRC: > what youve written
+TRC: it sounds better too i think
+TRC: last two lines should be reworded
+TRC: sayign it faces competiton isnt enough
+TRC: u could turn both lines
+TRC: into
+TRC: stoutland is a great sweeper in sand, but when sand is removed it is outclassed by purugly tauros normals bleh blah
+TRC: something along that lines
+TRC: all the set sand sweeper
+TRC: call*
+Montsegur: kk
+TRC: elaborate on what the moves hti
+TRC: in set details move cb before lo
+TRC: you dont need to mentiont eh ability
+TRC: you do need to mention the rationale for adamant
+TRC: ie; it outspeeds everything so jolly is overkill
+TRC: usage tips needs more
+TRC: try to elaborate on opponents stalling out sand by switching around its coverage into resists
+TRC: specficy not to bring stout in directly
+TRC: or to sac hippo
+TRC: but to try and get it on on a double switch or after a kill
+TRC: mention saccing hippo in an end game scenario is fine
+TRC: wear down with what?
+TRC: you need to talk about
+TRC: doule switching with sr and tspikes up
+TRC: until theyre in range for stoutlands coverage
+TRC: serperior's a good teammate for stoutland
+TRC: i mean
+TRC: under physical walls
+TRC: you cant just mention pelipper without saying scout wild charge first
+TRC: the others ones arent ohkoes, say they must come in after a kill to take an attack and burn it
+TRC: or in avalugg's case, recover it off
+TRC: no point switching gourg in on cb crucnh and getting 2hkoed
+Montsegur: so should I not mention pelipper?
+TRC: the ghost type section is stupid, if they come in on return they just have to switch out so =/
+TRC: no mention pelipper
+TRC: just say
+TRC: only if cb locked into something else or if the lo set uses crunch
+TRC: you didnt mention
+TRC: under ghosts
+TRC: that they only apply
+Montsegur: ah
+TRC: if stoutland is cb
+Montsegur: true enough
+TRC: and locked into return
+TRC: you can mention various pivots into the type its locked into
+TRC: in the c&c
+TRC: also
+TRC: superpower is a main option on the set
+TRC: but you say in c&c
+TRC: that rocks are checks unless it has superpower coverage
+TRC: you could talk instead about rocks checking it if it is cb locked into return
+TRC: but
+TRC: if its lo
+TRC: mention that
+TRC: they can switch into a resist on the superpowe
+TRC: rafter baiting it with like golem
+TRC: to lower its attack
+TRC: then bring golem back in
+TRC: and like eq
+TRC: u cant mention drifblim under wow unless again, cb locked into return
+TRC: these are specific examples
+TRC: which needs to be in c&c
+TRC: by that i mean
+TRC: not just specific pokemon
+TRC: but the cases in which the perform the countering
+TRC: and hwo it's done
+TRC: then after that's done copy and paste this in teh thread: qc 3/3
+Montsegur: so make it 3/3 after im done?
+TRC: yeah
+TRC: tag me though anyway

TRC

Reactions: trc

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

When using sand in PU, having Stoutland is a must, as Stoutland should only really be placed on a sand team. Stoutland but it is a great sweeper in the sand. (period) when coupled with Its ability Sand Rush, which doubles its Speed whilst in the sand, (comma) allowing it to outpace the unboosted metagame. Stoutland has a variety of coverage moves which let it hit hard offensively, (comma) such as Crunch, Superpower, and Wild Charge. Stoutland is a great sweeper in sand, but However, when sand is removed, (comma) it is outclassed by other Normal-types such as Tauros, Bouffalant, and Purugly.

Sand Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Return is Stoutland's main STAB move which and should be used against any Pokemon that does not resist it or is immune to it. Crunch is used as coverage to hit any Ghost-types, (comma) such as Misdreavus or Gourgeist-S. Superpower is used as coverage to hit Rock- and Steel-types such as Bastiodon, Aurorus, and Golem. Wild Charge can be used as coverage for Water- and Flying-types, specifically Pelipper. Retaliate can be used as an option to revenge kill Pokemon after a teammate has been KOed, as it gets powered up to 140bp, Base Power and then goes back down to a decent 70 Base Powerbp.

Set Details
========

The spread is a standard offensive one, with maximum Attack and Speed investment. (consider explaining why you use SpD EVs instead of Def or HP ones here) Choice Band increases Stoutland's Attack and doesn't cost it any HP, but locks it into one move. Life Orb is used to increase Stoutland's damage output at the cost of a little HP, while still letting it being able to switch up moves. An Adamant nature is used for increasing Stoutland's Attack, (comma) as under sand Stoutland outspeeds the entire unboosted meta and does not need the extra Speed from a Jolly nature.
(line break)
Usage Tips
========

Sand should be set up before attempting to bring in or sweep with Stoutland or to try and attempt a sweep with it. Stoutland should not be directly switched in to, it should be brought in after one of your Pokemon has fainted or in on a double switch, as switching directly in to opposing Pokemon is dangerous as it can result in a status on Stoutland or unwanted damage. Because of this, Stoutland should only be brought in after one of your Pokemon has fainted or on a double switch. Keep Hippopotas alive for as long as possible, as having sand up is a must for Stoutland so it can outspeed and KO opposing Pokemon. Predict switch-ins to walls and use the appropriate coverage move so as not to waste precious turns of sand. Opponents will try and stall out sand turns by switching into resists to around Stoutland's coverage into resists. This can be avoided by getting Toxic Spikes and other entry hazards up as soon as possible. Hazards also help to wear down checks and counters to Stoutland, such as Rock- and Steel-types, before attempting to sweep. When hazards are up, double switching around into different Pokemon that to threaten out opposing Pokemon with entry hazards up is also a good way to quickly wear down checks and counters to Stoutland, because with the offensive pressure put on them they will be unable to heal off any damage from the sand and hazards. Hippopotas should only be sacked sacrificed late-game (dash) to get sand up one last time before bringing in Stoutland to sweep, and this should only be done if you know Stoutland can KO all of the remaining Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Hippopotas is a required teammate for Stoutland as it can auto set up both sandstorm with its ability and can also set and Stealth Rock. Entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes can quickly wear down an opponent's team when coupled with sand, so Pokemon that can set Toxic Spikes such as Garbodor or and Roselia make good teammates. Serperior synergizes well with Garbodor and Stoutland, (comma) as it can take opposing Ground-type moves and can check opposing Rock-type Pokemon. Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta or Golem can take advantage of sand's the Sandstorm boost to their Special Defense. Pursuit trappers such as Sneasel can take out any of the opponent's Ghost-types so that way Stoutland is free to spam its Normal-type attacks. Other powerful Normal-type Pokemon such as Tauros or and Bouffalant make good partners, (comma) as they have and can wear down similar walls to Stoutland checks and can open up a sweeping opportunity for one another.

Other Options
########

Some other options include Fire Fang and Ice Fang, which are useful for getting coverage on Grass-types. Pursuit can be used to trap opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, however but that is best left to a teammate. Play Rough can be useful coverage to hit Fighting-types. Sleep Talk can be used if you need sleep fodder a Pokemon that can handle being asleep on your team. Substitute can be used to prevent status and ease prediction, however but it tends to waste sand turns and is thus not recommended. Work Up can be used to boost Stoutland's Attack.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls such as Avalugg and Gourgeist-S can take a hit from Stoutland and either recover off damage or burn Stoutland. Avalugg can not switch directly into a Choice Band-boosted Return with Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and sand up as it can be 2HKOed, but it Avalugg can switch in if entry hazards are not up or after sacking a teammate. (comma to period) Once Avalugg is in, (comma) it can proceed to recover off any damage and stall out the sand. Gourgeist-S can predict a Return and switch in but risks being 2HKOed by Crunch. (comma to period) Once in, (comma) it can burn Stoutland and recover health with Leech Seed. Gourgeist-S can also take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into Return, Superpower, or Wild Charge as it gets a free switch-in and then can proceed to use its utility moves.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Drifblim, and Haunter can take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into either Return or Superpower as it provides a free switch for them. Drifblim and Misdreavus can burn Stoutland with Will-O-Wisp, and Haunter can either set up a Substitute or get damage on whatever Stoutland switches out to. However, they have to be wary of Life Orb Stoutland, as it can just switch its moves up to Crunch and OHKO them with Crunch.

**Rock-types**: Rock types such as Golem, Barbaracle, and Bastiodon can take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into Return, (comma) as they will take minimal damage from it. However, Life Orb Stoutland can just switch up to Superpower and OHKO them. (comma to period) Rock-types can get around this by baiting the Superpower and bringing in a resist, as and after the Attack drop Stoutland loses some of its power and can be is easily forced out.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh or Poliwrath can live one hit from Stoutland and KO it with their STAB moves; however, they can not switch directly into Stoutland as they risk being 2HKOed. Throh and Poliwrath can come in on a double switch, a predicted Crunch, or they can come in after a teammate has been KOed.

**Lack of SandCounter Weather**: (counter weather fits with lack of sand) Without sand up, Stoutland can be easily revenge killed by faster threats. Sand can be stopped with counter weather or by defeating Hippopotas, and the best way to keep sand around is by keeping Hippopotas alive. Counter weather, (comma) such as sun, or rain, or hail lol, mitigates Stoutland's speed boost. Weather teams are fairly obvious, as they and carry weather setters such as Carbink, Meowstic, and Volbeat on sun teams and on Rain teams Pokemon setters such as Murkrow, Meowstic, and Illumise on rain teams.

**Status**: Status such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Thunder Wave all cripple Stoutland. Burn halves Stoutland's Attack, (comma)ing stat and Pokemon such as Gourgeist-S, Camerupt, and Drifblim all commonly carry Will-O-Wisp. Toxic quickly wears down Stoutland and limits the amount of time it can sweep, (remove comma) between Life Orb recoil and Toxic damage. (comma to period) Pokemon such as Avalugg, Garbodor, and Bastiodon commonly carry Toxic it. Thunder Wave from the likes of Stunfisk and Grumpig reduces Stoutland's speed, which is one of the biggest things going for it, Pokemon such as Stunfisk and Grumpig commonly carry Thunder Wave.

**Lack of Sand**: Stoutland's biggest asset is having a Sandstorm up, without this Stoutland can be easily revenge killed by faster threats, the best way to keep sand around is by keeping Hippopotas alive.

Ares

**Lack of SandCounter Weather**: (counter weather fits with lack of sand) Without sand up, Stoutland can be easily revenge killed by faster threats. Sand can be stopped with counter weather or by defeating Hippopotas, and the best way to keep sand around is by keeping Hippopotas alive. Counter weather, (comma) such as sun, or rain, or hail lol, mitigates Stoutland's speed boost. Weather teams are fairly obvious, as they and carry weather setters such as Carbink, Meowstic, and Volbeat on sun teams and on Rain teams Pokemon setters such as Murkrow, Meowstic, and Illumise on rain teams.

**Status**: Status such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Thunder Wave all cripple Stoutland. Burn halves Stoutland's Attack, (comma)ing stat and Pokemon such as Gourgeist-S, Camerupt, and Drifblim all commonly carry Will-O-Wisp. Toxic quickly wears down Stoutland and limits the amount of time it can sweep, (remove comma) between Life Orb recoil and Toxic damage. (comma to period) Pokemon such as Avalugg, Garbodor, and Bastiodon commonly carry Toxic it. Thunder Wave from the likes of Stunfisk and Grumpig reduces Stoutland's speed, which is one of the biggest things going for it, Pokemon such as Stunfisk and Grumpig commonly carry Thunder Wave.

**Lack of Sand**: Stoutland's biggest asset is having a Sandstorm up, without this Stoutland can be easily revenge killed by faster threats, the best way to keep sand around is by keeping Hippopotas alive.
I left this as it was, aside from the grammatical changes, because there is a big enough difference between not having sand, and having a different weather set up over sand. Otherwise implemented :) and awaiting final check.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
When using sand in PU, having Stoutland is a must, as Stoutland should only really be placed on a sand team, but it is a great sweeper in the sand. Its ability, Sand Rush, doubles its Speed whilst in the sand, allowing it to outpace the unboosted metagame. Stoutland has a variety of coverage moves which let it hit hard offensively, such as Crunch, Superpower, and Wild Charge. However, when sand is removed, it is outclassed by other Normal-types such as Tauros, Bouffalant, and Purugly; as such, Stoutland should only be used on sand teams.
Sand Sweeper
########
Moves
========
Return is Stoutland's main STAB move and should be used against any Pokemon that does not resist it. Crunch is used as coverage to hit any Ghost-types, such as Misdreavus orand Gourgeist-S, super effectively. Superpower is used as coverage to hit Rock- and Steel-types such as Bastiodon, Aurorus, and Golem. Wild Charge can be used as coverage for Water- and Flying-types, specifically Pelipper. Retaliate can be used to revenge kill Pokemon after a teammate has been KOed, as it gets powered up to 140 Base Power and then goes back down to a decent 70 Base Power.
Set Details
========
The spread is a standard offensive one, with maximum Attack and Speed investment. Choice Band increases Stoutland's Attack and doesn't deal recost it any HPil damage, but locks it into one move. Life Orb is used to increase Stoutland's damage output at the cost of a little HP, while still letting it switch up moves. An Adamant nature is used forto increasinge Stoutland's Attack, as under sand, Stoutland outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame and does not need the extra Speed from a Jolly nature.
Usage Tips
========
Sand should be set up before attempting to bring in or sweep with Stoutland. Stoutland should not be directly switched toin, as switching directly can result in Sto opposing Pokemon is dautland beingerous as it can result in anflicted with status on Stoutland orr taking unwanted damage. Because of this, Stoutland should only be brought in after one of your Pokemon has fainted or on a double switch. Keep Hippopotas alive for as long as possible, as having sand up is a must for Stoutland so it can outspeed and KO opposing Pokemon. Predict switch-ins to walls and use the appropriate coverage move so as to not to waste precious turns of sand. Opponents will try and stall out sand turns by switching into Pokemon that resists to Stoutland's cmoverages. This can be avoided by getting Toxic Spikes and other entry hazards up as soon as possible. Hazards also help to wear down checks and counters to Stoutland, such as Rock- and Steel-types, before attempting to sweep. When hazards are up, double switching to threaten out opposing Pokemon is also a good way to quickly wear down checks and counters to Stoutland, because with the offensive pressure put on them, they will be unable to heal off any damage from the sand and hazards. Hippopotas should only be sacrificed late-game to get sand up one last time before bringing in Stoutland to sweep, and this should only be done if you know Stoutland can KO all of the remaining Pokemon.
Team Options
========
Hippopotas is a required teammate for Stoutland, as it can set up both sand and Stealth Rock. Entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes can quickly wear down an opponent's team when coupled with sand, so Pokemon that can set Toxic Spikes such as Garbodor and Roselia make for good teammates. Serperior synergizes well with Garbodor and Stoutland, as it can take Ground-type moves and can check opposing Rock-type Pokemon. Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta or Golem can take advantage of sand's boost to their Special Defense. Pursuit trappers such as Sneasel can take out the opponent's Ghost-types so that Stoutland is free to spam its Normal-type attacks. Other powerful Normal-type Pokemon such as Tauros and Bouffalant make for good partners, as they have andsimilar checks which they can wear down similar checks and can open up a sweeping opportunity for one another.
Other Options
########
Some other options include Fire Fang and Ice Fang, which are useful for getting coverage on Grass-types. Pursuit can be used to trap opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, but that is best left to a teammate. Play Rough can be useful coverage to hit Fighting-types. Sleep Talk can be used if you need a Pokemon that can handle being asleep on your team. Substitute can be used to prevent status and ease prediction, but it tends to waste sand turns and is thus not recommended. Work Up can be used to boost Stoutland's Attack.
Checks & Counters
########
**Physical Walls**: Physical walls such as Avalugg and Gourgeist-S can take a hit from Stoutland and either recover off damage or burn Stoutland. Avalugg can no't switch directly into a Choice Banded Return with Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and sand up, as it can be 2HKOed, but it can switch in if entry hazards are not up or afterhas sackinged a teammate. Once Avalugg is in, it can proceed to recover off any damage and stall out the sand. Gourgeist-S can predict a Return and switch in, but risks being 2HKOed by Crunch. Once in, it can burn Stoutland and recover health with Leech Seed. Gourgeist-S can also take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into Return, Superpower, or Wild Charge, as it gets a free switch-in and can proceed to use its utility moves.
**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Drifblim, and Haunter can take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into either Return or Superpower, as it provides a free switch for them. Drifblim and Misdreavus can burn Stoutland with Will-O-Wisp, and Haunter can either set up a Substitute or damage whatever Stoutland switches out to. However, they have to be wary of Life Orb Stoutland, as it can OHKO them by switching to Crunch.
**Rock-types**: Rock -types such as Golem, Barbaracle, and Bastiodon can take advantage of Choice Band Stoutland locked into Return, as they will take minimal damage from it. However, Life Orb Stoutland can just switch up toOHKO them with Superpower and OHKO them. Rock-types can get around this by baiting the Superpower and bringing in a Pokemon that resists it, as after the Attack drop, Stoutland loses some of its power and is easily forced out.
**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh or Poliwrath can live one hit from Stoutland and KO it with their STAB moves; however, they can not switch directly into Stoutland, as they risk being 2HKOed. Throh and Poliwrath can come in on a double switch, a predicted Crunch, or after a teammate has been KOed.
**CountOther Weather**: CountOther weather, such as sun, rain, or hail, mitigates Stoutland's sSpeed boost. Weather teams are fairly obvious, as they carry weather setters such as Carbink, Meowstic, and Volbeat on sun teams and setters such as Murkrow, Meowstic, and Illumise on rain teams.
**Status**: Status such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Thunder Wave all cripple Stoutland. Burn halves Stoutland's attacking stat and Pokemon such as Gourgeist-S, Camerupt, and Drifblim all commonly carry Will-O-Wisp. Toxic quickly wears down Stoutland and limits the amount of time it can sweep, between Life Orb recoil and Toxic damage,; Pokemon such as Avalugg, Garbodor, and Bastiodon commonly carry it. Thunder Wave reduces Stoutland's sSpeed, which is one of the biggest things going for it, Pokemon such as Stunfisk and Grumpig commonly carry Thunder Wave.
**Lack of Sand**: Stoutland's biggest assetWhen sand is having a Sandstormnot up, without this Stoutland can be easily revenge killed by faster threats,; the best way to keep sand around is by keeping Hippopotas alive.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)