Strategy Analysis: Reversal, Flail, and Endeavor

As a community, Smogon has shunned One Hit Knock-Out(referred to as ohko) moves such as Guillotine for a very long time. However with the release of Ruby and Sapphire on Netbattle, new moves appeared on the horizon as moves with almost the same power as ohko moves-Reversal, Flail and Endeavor. Armed with new berries, battlers began to arm their pokemon with these 3 moves and began to rack up instant knock-outs from one single pokemon, and make extraordinary comebacks from a 5-1 deficit to a 1-0 win. Today, Reversal, Flail, and Endeavor are very rarely seen, but the strategy still works if you use it properly. Now let's have a look at these moves.

Reversal:
Type: Fighting
Base: Physical
Power: ---
Accuracy: 100%
Effect: ---
PP: 15(24 with ppups clause)
Target: Selected Target
Move Description: Inflicts more damage when the user's HP is down

Flail
Type: Normal
PP: 15(24 with ppups clause)
Move Description: Inflicts more damage when the user's HP is down

Endeavor:
Type: Normal
PP: 5(8 with ppups clause)
Move Description: Gains power if the user's HP is lower than the foe's HP

Right off the bat you may have noticed that Reversal and Flail are identical except for the type, and Endeavor is very similar to the other two. However there are big differences in each move. The in-game effect of Reversal and Flail is basically the lower your HP, the higher the amount of damage, whereas the in-game effect of Endeavor is if your HP is lower then your opponents HP, then when you use endeavor their HP% becomes the same percentage as yours. So Endeavor can never fully ohko a pokemon, while Reversal and Flail can. However there are even more differences now-but this time they are in the type chart

Reversal:
SE against Normal, Dark, Rock, Ice, and Steel types
Not Effective (NE from now on) against Poison, Psychic, Bug, and Flying types
ND (no damage) to Ghost types

Flail:
SE against none!
NE against Rock and Steel types
ND to Ghost types

Endeavor:
SE against none
NE against none
ND to none

Reversal has the largest SE and NE range, Flail has a much smaller SE and NE range, and Endeavor hits anything at normal calculations-even Ghost types-which surprises quite a lot of people(my Gengar got owned one time!). Another difference-Reversal and Flail take into account STAB (same type attack bonus), while Endeavor does not take into account STAB and always does a certain amount of damage depending on your HP. Now let's have a look at what pokemon use each move and how they use them.

Reversalers and Flailers:

There are two types of rev/flailers: Subrev and Endure rev. Subrevvers use Substitute along with a high speed level to bring their HP down to 1(after the 4th sub) without taking any damage from the opponent, and then use Reversal. WARNING: this only works if you HP stat is a number not divisible by 4-so for instance if I had a Heracross with 260 HP I wouldn’t be able to substitute the 4th time. So always set your HP ev as an odd number or as a number not divisible by 4 so that you can sub the 4th time and have some hp left over for a reversal/flail. Endure revvers don't have to use this rule-Endure always leaves the user with 1 HP after your opponent lands a deadly blow. So then you can proceed to Rev/Flail. Here are examples of each:

SubRevver
Heracross@Salac Berry
~Substitute
~Reversal
~Megahorn
~Focus Punch/Swords Dance/Rock Slide
Carrying double STAB with Reversal and Megahorn

SubFlailer
Dodrio@Salac Berry
~Substitute
~Flail
~Drill Peck
~Hidden Power Ghost
Carrying double stab with drill peck and flail

EndureRevver
Blaziken@Salac Berry
~Endure
~Reversal
~Fire Blast
~Swords Dance/Rock Slide/Focus Punch
Double STAB

EndureFlailer
Zangoose@Salac Berry
~Endure
~Flail
~Hidden Power Ghost
~Focus Punch/Swords Dance
Single STAB however carrying the same variety of moves.

Pretty self explanatory-for the subrevvers set up against something slower or when it switches in until you get to 1 hp, then Salac will activate(ill cover that later) and you can sweep. With Endure, you have more to lose because someone could paralyze you while you are enduring. But Endure will have the same effect-get you down to 1 HP to sweep. Each of these sets carries a variety of moves to cover the pokemon that resist each move-for instance, Zangoose has Flail and HP Ghost, because Flail doesn’t touch ghosts so hp ghost can still keep ghosts out of the way. However this set will still have problems with rock and steel types (Aggron! but also focus punch is an option) but that’s besides the point (which is to cover as many weaknesses as you can). If you fail to cover all your weakness, then you will be walled quite quickly. Now, on to Endeavor users!

EDIT: if you want to calculate flail and reversal, use this chart
Flail and Reversal power:

0 - 4.2% HP = 200 Base Power
4.3 - 10.4% HP = 150 Base Power
10.5 - 20.8% HP = 100 Base Power
20.9 - 35.4% HP = 80 Base Power
35.5 - 68.8% HP = 40 Base Power
68.9 - 100% HP = 20 Base Power

(Data stolen from Mosh on the old forums...)

Endeavor:
Endeavor functions basically in the same way: the only two types are Endure and Substitute Endeavorers. That in mind, it’s the same thing until you get to 1 HP. Some common Endeavor user's are:

Subber
Sceptile@Salac/Petaya berry
~Substitute
~Endeavor
~Hidden Power Ice/Fire
~Leaf Blade

Endurer
Smeargle@Salac Berry
~Endure
~Endeavor
~Spore
~Extremespeed/Seismic Toss

As you can see, it's basically the same as revving, except that Endeavor will never kill so if you use it 1vs1 then you'll get killed, so it's better for predicting switches. If these sets are used properly, they can seriously mess up a team. With Smeargle, you can get 2 kills (if you have someone with a fast move like Mach Punch or Extremespeed clean up) and with Sceptile you can fry a Blissey walling your team. Blissey wont be able to switch into anything if it’s at lower then 100 HP, and with spikes she is instantly dead. Endeavor, unlike Flail and Reversal, is meant for weakening a team instead of fully sweeping it. If a Blissey gets a full blown endeavor, Raikou can proceed. It’s a different and rarely seen strategy which is quite surprising when effectively used.

Berries:

In Advanced mode, a new common thing is stat boosting berries. These berries are items that pokemon can hold, and during a battle, if their HP falls below 25%, then the berry will activate giving the user +1 in a certain stat. So for instance, I have a Ninjask which has 263 HP and I sub 4 times, all 4 are broken. After the 4th sub is broken, Ninjask would get a boost from the berry. The most common berry is (by far) Salac (which raises speed). Salac berries are always used on a rev/flail/endeavor user because they raise the speed when you get down to 1HP-so that nobody can out speed you. Without Salac, few revvers would even exist because their speed is such a low stat without the boost. Here are the Berries and their effect

Salac: raises speed by +1
Petaya: raises special attack by +1
Liechi: raises attack by +1
Apicot: raises special defense by +1
Ganlon: raises defense by +1
Starf: raises a random stat by +2(:/)

Support
some quick tips to help your rev/flailer/endeavorer
1. If the pokemon is not immune to sandstream(if its not rock/steelor ground) then always carry a weather changing move on your team and be able to check and eliminate Tyranitar from the opposing team at all times.
2. Spikes are support for anything, as they lower opponent's HP making it easier to blow fatal damage.
3. Magneton-be ready to get rid of Skarmory/other walls that may stop you

and finally,

Counters:

The #1 counter for rev/flail/endeavor is…
TYRANITAR (sandstream)

Tyranitar’s sandstream ability does damage to any pokemon that is not Steel, Rock, or Ground. And when you rev/flail/endeavor, you always want to be at a very low HP level, so a simple switch in from Tyranitar automatically ruins a reversal plan. It’s that simple, and because Tyranitar is so popular, Reversal hasn’t been seen for a while.
EDIT: this wasn't need in the analysis but scizor is the only reversaler/flailer immune to sandstorm, however lit loses the stab that other revvers have.

#2: Speed moves
If you are at 1 HP, any move that does damage will instantly kill you. Speed moves such as Extremespeed, Mach Punch, and Quick Attack always go first, so they will instantly kill you before you can use Reversal all the time. Not anywhere near as common as Tyranitar, but teams that don’t carry Tyranitar usually have one of these.

#3: Hazers/Psuedo-Hazers/spikes/whatnot

Hazers and Psuedo-hazers ruin the boost from Salac and possible Swords Dances. Spikes are evil.

In conclusion, Reversal is a very powerful move, and teams should always be built to have a counter for them or you will regret it.

is that okay or do i need more info on endeavor and stuff

oh gosh i forgot to put support stuff and crap bah im going to eat lunch now screw this ill do it later

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
scizor is an awsome reversal user. agility, swords dance, swarm, sandstorm immunity. it does it all and alot more.

yes it was available in GSC, but there were no berries... or some shit im not that familiar with the old generations

Just a small correction:
when you use endeavor their HP comes to the same amount as yours
If you have 30/300 HP (10% HP) and use Endeavor on an opponent which has max 400 HP, the opponent will have 30 HP, not 40 HP.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cookkirby said:
whereas the in-game effect of Endeavor is if your HP is lower then your opponents HP, then when you use endeavor their HP comes to the same percentage as yours.
Wrong. It sets their HP to your HP. % has nothing to do with it. This is why it's so effective on Blissey and Snorlax.

Endeavor is typeless, but it is counterable.

Scizor is notable for being the only Reversaler immune to Sandstream, but it loses STAB. No flailer is immune.

For Endeavor, Swampert, Marshtomp, Aggron, Lairon, and Aron are all immune to sandstream, but they are generally considered too slow to be effective.

Here's a semi-fun team I made around this concept (endeavor):

Metagross @ Lum Berry ** Metatron
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 Spd / 150 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash

Who's the most common Pokemon sent out against Metagross? Why, Suicune and Skarmory, of course. Who are the most common phazers? Suicune and Skarmory, of course. Who dies to Explosion? Suicune and Skarmory (Skarmory might survive if I don't Meteor Mash it on the hit, but that's OK, I've got a counter for that).

Ninjask (M) @ Leftovers ** %2
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Silver Wind
- Substitute

Passes speed to Swampert and Aggron. OHKOs Alakazam with Silver Wind, luring their Heracross into thinking you don't have HP Flying, and then OHKOs that. Also finishes off Pokemon after I endeavor.

Magneton @ Leftovers ** Heavy Metal
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 38 Def / 220 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Stops Skarmory. Thinking of changing it to HP Fire for Roaring Steelix.

Swampert (F) @ Petaya Berry ** #1
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 126 Spd / 252 SAtk / 132 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Endeavor
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Surf

Primary killer. Beats a bunch of stuff after 1 speed boost, beats other stuff after 2, and beats Jolly Ninjask after 3. OHKOs quite a few thing with Petaya STAB Torrent Surf. Tricks Blissey into thinking I'm going to Focus Punch behind 101 HP Subs until it's too late.

Aggron (M) @ Liechi Berry ** #2
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 50 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Physical attacker, same speed as Swampert. OHKOs quite a bit with Liechi STAB Rock Slide.

Quagsire (F) @ Choice Band ** Q-Bert
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 SDef
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Sludge Bomb

Counters Suicune...

Obviously, this isn't my most serious of teams, because if it was, I would drop Aggron and Swampert for something like Breloom or Marowak and actually sweep. But Endeavor is more fun. :)

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flail and Reversal power:

0 - 4.2% HP = 200 Base Power
4.3 - 10.4% HP = 150 Base Power
10.5 - 20.8% HP = 100 Base Power
20.9 - 35.4% HP = 80 Base Power
35.5 - 68.8% HP = 40 Base Power
68.9 - 100% HP = 20 Base Power

(Data stolen from Mosh on the old forums...)

I got swept by a Brazilian with Bulk Up Endure Reversal Rock Slide... and Obi's team is cool btw I can never beat it lol =[

yeah flail was available before, but reversal wasnt and you know what that is a good intro whether it is correct or not >:0

thanks for the changes guys

Giga gaia 12 said:
I got swept by a Brazilian with Bulk Up Endure Reversal Rock Slide... and Obi's team is cool btw I can never beat it lol =[
Elie 4 Bruno guys
The real problem with Reversal is that almost everyone that plays RS is gay enough to always use Suicune which pretty much fucks this up :[
I dunno how much an average Reversal would do to Suicune but maybe it would do enough to kill it with Spikes.. or if you have a sexual preference for males, Dugtrio.

Vigoroth is really good at this since it gets Flail for primary STAB, Reversal for steel and rock types, and Shadow Ball for ghosts.

Probably the best way to get rid of Tyranitar is to BP Spider Web (or Mean Look if you'd rather use Umbreon than Ariados) to something like Kingdra that can just Dance and kill with Surf.

For Spikes, it actually wouldn't be a bad idea to have both Magneton (with HP:fire) and a Rapid Spinner, although I don't see Spikes being as much of a threat since it's not like you're going to be switching out that much after subbing to 1 HP and getting the Salac boost.

JMC

Old as dirt.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
cookkirby said:
yeah flail was available before, but reversal wasnt and you know what that is a good intro whether it is correct or not >:0

thanks for the changes guys
actually reversal was around in gsc as well. See subbing hitmonlee.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Obi2Kenobi said:
Scizor is notable for being the only Reversaler immune to Sandstream, but it loses STAB. No flailer is immune.
sandlash, onix, kabutops, sudowoodo, steelix, donphan

obi

formerly david stone
Atlas said:
sandlash, onix, kabutops, sudowoodo, steelix, donphan
I forgot about Kabutops and Sudowoodo... But the others can really flail? Wow...

Just for some numbers, these are the +attack breakpoints for Adamant Heracross with Reversal, Flail, and HP Ghost as its attacks and what it can OHKO. I think I left off a few Pokemon, like Slowbro, but the list is mostly complete.

(Worst case scenario, assumes max defense +nature and max HP)

+2
Suicune (Reversal)
Shuckle (Reversal)
Skarmory (Reversal)
Donphan (Reversal)
Banette (HP Ghost)
Ho-oh (Flail)*

+3
Deoxys-L (Flail)
Weezing (Flail)
Gengar (HP Ghost)
Misdreavus (HP Ghost)
Ho-Oh (Flail)*

+4
Dusclops (HP Ghost)
Wobuffet (Flail)
Lugia (Flail)

+5
[none]

+6
Sableye 55.1%

*There is a 9.5% chance to OHKO Ho-oh with +2 attack, and a 100% chance at +3.

It's interesting to note that Megahorn only KOs more easily Lugia, Deoxys-L, Sableye and Wobbuffet on this list. Slowbro, too, probably...

However, this is unrealistic. How many Gengars have max defense and HP? So this next set is of the standard EV spread, as far as I could tell a few months ago. I'm sure there are a few errors in this, since I was really bad at this back then.

+1
Gengar; 0 HP, 0 D (HP Ghost)
Banette; 76 HP, 0 D (HP Ghost)
Ho-oh, 40 HP, 0 D (Flail)
Suicune, 252 HP, 152 D, +D (Reversal) 49.2%

+2
Misdreavus; 226 HP, 200 D, +D (HP Ghost)
Skarmory, 252 HP, 192 D, +D (Reversal)
Weezing; 252 HP, 252 D, +D (Flail)
Suicune; 252 HP, 152 D, +D (Reversal)
Shuckle; 252 HP, 152 D, +D (Reversal)

+3
Dusclops; 252 HP, 188 D +D (HP Ghost) 40.0%***
Lugia; 128 HP, 136 D (Flail)
Deoxys-L; 252 HP, 0 D, +2 (Flail)
Wobuffet; 4 HP, 252 D, +D (Flail)

+4
Dusclops; 252 HP, 188 D +D (HP Ghost)***
Sableye; 252 HP, 48 D, +D (HP Ghost) 19.1%

+5
Sableye; 252 HP, 48 D, +D (HP Ghost)

+6
[none]

***Special defensive Dusclops would take a bit less, most likely.

I also didn't feel like doing +1 attack for worst case. I know Donphan, Slowbro, and Slowking should be on this list somewhere, too... As I said, it's incomplete. :( I might include Megahorn some time, if I make this list more complete. I was just interested in the moves best paired with Reversal on Heracross, and never got around to Megahorn.

You all fail for not mentioning Dunsparce.

Great novelty set.

Dunsparce (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Endure
- Endeavor
- Flail
- filler (Body Slam?)

STAB Flail? Or Endeavor? Good lulz.

in uu, scyther is the primary flailer, usually @liechi and [hp bug/hp flying]/rev/sub/sd. i like bug so it can kill hypno/pig with the help of swarm. i run qa over sd just in case, and sd doesnt help all that much.

Kabutops should be mentioned if Scizor is...the others are doubtable.

Daniel (drdanjc) had the coolest Endeavor team in my opinion.

Swampert
~ Endeavor
~ Substitute
~ Earthquake
~ Surf/Ice Beam
@ Salac Berry

The lead, to take out threats such as Aerodactyl. Swampert plays Endeavor in a cool way as it can actually kill something: eat a hit, and Substitute. Every next time you think they will attack your Substitute, Substitute again. In the end you will have a Substitute up, Salac boost and very low HP. Endeavor while your Substitute breaks, and kill the opponent. Has a hard time against Salamence with Surf, so Ice Beam is a good option.

Hitmontop (SPINNING (BAN ME PLEASE))
~ Endeavor
~ Substitute
~ Mach Punch
~ Hidden Power Ghost
@ Salac Berry

JUST not enough for 264 (396 after Salac), great nonetheless thanks to Intimidate. Beats Skarmory with Endeavor + Mach Punch. At full HP, it does like 50% damage on Blissey.

Raticate
~ Endeavor
~ Substitute
~ Quick Attack
~ Shadow Ball
@ Salac Berry

Swellow
~ Endeavor
~ Substitute
~ Quick Attack
~ Aerial Ace
@ Salac Berry

Dodrio
~ Endeavor
~ Substitute
~ Quick Attack
~ Drill Peck
@ Salac Berry

Sceptile (Meganium on crack)
~ Endeavor
~ Substitute
~ Leaf Blade/Pursuit
~ Quick Attack
@ Salac Berry

The rest of the club. Very speedy guys that will weaken at least one Pokémon, and the next Pokémon can clean up. You might think "you will never win, because you will always be one Pokémon behind!". This is true if you are playing someone who catches on quickly, doesn't make any mistakes, and doesn't miss with stuff like Meteor Mash. Tyranitar of course owns this (hence Swampert), and Skarmory with 1-2 layers of Spikes too. However, if it gets 3, then you just start out at 75% with ground-based Pokémon, which is no biggie.

I'd say Explosion and Pursuit are great old school Endeavor supporters, to take out major threats. Anything that takes out Steels is welcome.

cookkirby said:
EndureFlailer
Zangoose@Salac Berry
~Endure
~Flail
~Hidden Power Ghost
~Focus Punch/Swords Dance
Single STAB however carrying the same variety of moves.
I'm pretty sure you mean Shadow Ball there :)
That's interesting about Endeavor; I didn't know it had that effect in Netbattle. I just checking on Emerald and it didn't effect Shuppet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)