1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Roleplay Streamlining Anime Style Mafia

Discussion in 'ASB' started by Rediamond, May 12, 2012.

1. Rediamond

Rediamond

This thread is intended for players, refs, designers, contributors, etc. Basically, anyone who has read the rules. If you do not fit into one of these categories, please see me on irc or shoot me a PM before posting here.

ASM is presently stalled because I am too busy/don't care to ref it. For the second time, the game has become far too complex for me to manage and retain sanity. The initial system (pure real time) proved to be wholly unstable, and led to subpar updates. The present system, a mix of rounds and battles, has led that way once people began to engage in exploration and routes- two areas with a lot of wild battles. Wild battles end up being ridiculously easy, and just waste my time and the time of the players. Problems also arise with issues such as players pushing deadlines.

Beyond all of this, the game is simply taking far too long to complete, as I could see this realistically going on due to what I will admit are design flaws. The G0 specific stuff I will hotifx on my own to accelerate the game, but that aside I want to get a few opinions on how to streamline the process.

My current proposal is to eliminate night attacks, wild raids, route encounters, and most minor fights in dungeons. Routes will just take a full turn to cross, and there will be other minor consequences for leaving a pile of supplies in a base camp completely undefended.

This leave dungeons, to which there is no easy fix, as they inherently do not work on a turn-based system. My current idea is to make dungeons revolve more around solving a puzzle, with a few boss fights that resemble Raid Bosses far more than what I've put up so far. Instead of threat, every boss would have "priorities," such as reducing damage, using luck-based strategies to shut down moves, and various way to pick targets. These will all be clarified by a fairly detail boss analysis made before the fight. This makes it necessary to figure out the boss' patterns, and makes it possible to take down an otherwise insurmountable force due to the flaws in its strategy.

Some bosses will be a bit more complex, introducing new mechanics and various ways to defeat them. Almost all of these will be determined on a case-by-case basis, and will almost all be legendary Pokemon.

This leads to my list of questions, of which I seek the honest opinion of anyone with information on the game, or just a genuine interest... although I would ask responders to consult me first if they fit into the second group.

1) Should wild battles be cut entirely?

They slow down things, and barely test power. On the other hand, they provide a source for captures, and a new variable that keeps things interesting.

2) Should dungeons operate in a turn based system?

Everything else will under my proposed plan. Is it possible that players simply PM me their orders for how to get around a puzzle, and recieve a pass/fail? Boss combat might be hard to do under this method, but it could concievably work if bosses operated on much shorter deadlines, or mini-cycles.

3) Should the length of turns be reduced?

It's currently at a week, as I only have time to ref on weekends. However, I have been increasingly busy on weekends, and with fewer players alive, and possible help reffing, this may become less of an issue. Is a day to consult other players helpful, or should the deadlines be shortened?

4) Should non-boss combat be removed?

Yeah, I went there. It slows things down and throws it off a turn-based. While this would make NPC encounters odd, I can think of ways to avoid NPC battles, or turn them into an altered boss fight. This would basically force a reconsideration of how kills are done, and would mean that Pokemon are only useful for boss fights and RP shenanigans.

5) Should capture be removed?

If only bosses remain, and bosses take on entirely different forms, this could be a viable move. It would also speed up the game- lose all six Pokemon, and gg. It also reduces the power inherent in whoever captures a legendary, and makes the plot easier to deal with.

6) How should kills be performed?

Should they require a weapon/spell? Could any sufficiently powerful attack from a Pokemon do it? How could kills be blocked, as to prevent assassination from being too easy?

7) How should rewards work?

Admittedly, this is a fairly minor concern, but it is still undecided. If combat is moved away from, how would rewards work? If combat isn't moved away from, should Pokemon be rewarded in-game, out of game, or both? How should refs be paid? How should players be paid?

8) How should substitution work?

Out of the two subs I've had to make, I'm still not sure how to go about this... I don't like the idea of a team playing for a player, but I would possibly tolerate that player becoming an NPC if they go away for an extended period, and being controlled by a ref in an attempt to stay as close to the established character as possible. Or, we could just do old-fashioned subs. And what level of activity should warrant being subbed out?

If you haven't noticed, I really want to make ASM more turn-based in order to streamline things. I also want to make turns either go faster or contain more. I believe this is the only way to streamline ASM. As all of these questions are highly relevant, I am temporarily suspending the game until I can get these topics finalized. Admittedly, the game was probably approved to hastily, and I want to get things in shape now in order to test them before the final launch, and develop a real, fully functioning RP.

Discuss any and all of the questions you have an opinion about.

(I assume this thread is legal, as it is just another thread for an approved RP.)

EDIT: #G0 exists, and is the channel to go to in order to talk about this.
  2. Maxim

Maxim

Alright, I'll put down some ideas of mine here. First though, the questions.

I'm not sure if these should be cut completely. However, you are correct in that they currently take way too long. I would probably still keep them in, but perhaps set in an "aggravation" rating for each route. The higher the "Aggravation" of a route, the more likely a wild encounter will appear. However, there will never be more than one encounter per route. I do agree that there shouldn't be any wild battles inside dungeons though.

Well, I have my own ideas on how dungeons should operate, but I'll leave most of that until after these questions are answered. For now though, I'd say a turn based dungeon format would be a real help.

Really as far as days go, I personally think a week is fine. However, the days should be drastically shortened. I'm not sure how we would approach this, but my idea is to possibly divide up them into major and minor actions. Major actions would involve stuff like dungeon crawling and gym battling, and would eat up a lot of time like one or two per day depending on the specific activity. Minor actions would involve going to the pokemon center and mart, which would take much less time, but you still couldn't do much more than 10 of them per day. After a certain amount of major and/or minor actions are taken, the day would pass.

This I'd have to vehemently disagree with. While the amount of battles do need to be cut, we can't eliminate everything that's not a boss. To be honest, I think the main trouble as far as battles are concerned are the absurd amount of lackey battles, which really should only happen like twice in any given game.

I'd also disagree with this sentiment. Currently, the only RP that involves capture mechanics is The Legend Run, and even then the focus is on capturing the Legend. Keeping capturing would probably enhance the game quite a bit. Even if you don't include wild battles, PC's should be able to go into the wild if they want to catch something.

Kills, ah yes kills. This is a really delicate balancing act, and one that I think will probably take a few games to tweak to perfection. My thoughts on the matter are that it should be very difficult to kill a person without going through at least a couple of his pokemon first. As for how to codify it, that's kind of difficult. What I've been able to come up with is simply having a sort of numbers game. I'm thinking about possibly having attack and defense values for people and pokemon. For instance, Bob here buys some Body Armor from the local police department (Idk, work with me here) which gives him an extra say 10 HP and 1 Defense (30 HP and 3 Defense Total). If a Pokemon surprises him with a Fire Blast, then the overall damage would be calculated as normal, but the defense would shorten the overall damage by quite a bit. And eventually the final damage would be something like 10 HP. If Bob runs out of HP, it's over. However, there is a caviat, if a would-be assassin trapped Bob in say, a room full of dynamite, then the chances of survival would be about zero. This is a pretty rough sketch of my idea, but hopefully somebody can use it to make a much better idea.

I'm not too experienced with this, but I think the rewards should be quite high. Perhaps you could make an objective system, where the more sidequests and primary goals you accomplish, and how hard they are, will give you a certain amount of CC and/or UC. Incidentally, to keep the RP aspect, I'm thinking the players could ask the nearest ref whether a personal goal would work, and then the ref could assign an award to it, based on the difficulty. For instance, if my character were to set a goal to "Capture Jirachi and wish for a better world" that would probably be worth like 20 CC and maybe replace the current primary objective. There's lots of ideas you could come up with.

Honestly I think the first idea would probably work best, let the ref control any NPC's that form from DQ'd players. That said, caution would probably need to be taken lest a crazy ref such as myself decide to make said character go on a rampage. Just saying.

So I've already made a pretty big post, but I have just one more idea to put here before I turn it over to the rest of you guys.

That idea is dungeon layout, I've already discussed this idea with Rediamond, but I figured I'd expand it a bit. Effectively, with few exceptions, all dungeons would work like this

Entrance Trial~Lackey Combat~Trial 1~Miniboss Combat~Trial 2~Big Boss Combat

Entrance Trial: Before you get to enter any dungeon, you must first figure out how to enter it. Sometimes it's just as simple as just finding the hidden entrance and going in that way, but other times it could take the form of dastardly puzzles. For instance, you see a hypothetical dungeon labeled Molten Cave, but there's steam vents coming out of the entrance that would burn you severely if you tried to enter. You see a Groudon Statue nearby, and you also have a Magma Heart that you got from some dungeon a while back. The solution to this would probably be to put the Magma Heart in the Statue, then move it to an odd slot you saw near the entrance, using Strength of course. This turns off the steam vents, and you can proceed to the Lackey Combat

Lackey Combat: Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. Fighting a small group of weaker pokemon that is designed not to actually kill you, but rather to soften you up for the bosses ahead and be a sort of "warning shot". After the battle, you can gauge how well you did, and determine whether to continue on or not. Now if a sufficiently large group comes in, there will be a lot of lackeys to deal with, some that may not come out if only a few people come in. If a Syndicate assaults this portion, they should only lose like 1-3 Grunts at most. Let's use Molten cave as an example. Once you enter, you are given two options perhaps, like the legend run. If you choose correctly, you'll have to only face two Slugmas. If you choose wrongly however, you'll be facing the Slugmas and their parent Magcargos as well.

Trial 1: This is where things get a little complicated. In this Trial, you'd have to solve a puzzle that you can take as many tries at as you want to, but will probably be a bit difficult to solve at times. For instance, let's use Molten Cave again, after you've defeated the Slugma, you decide to heal a bit, then move on to the next place. In this room, you find even more Groudon Statues, and a door you cannot climb to. You also see a bunch of indents into the wall where you could put the statues, but you don't have enough statues for each of the niches, and each niche has a certain symbol. If you did your research beforehand, you'd know that there's some specific symbols that are associated with this place, so you put the statues into the niches with the correct symbols on them, and proceed. Or you could find it with trial and error, your choice. (Okay I know I stink at making puzzles, but you get the point.)

Miniboss Combat: Here's where things get a bit difficult. The function of this room is really to serve to severely mess up anyone silly enough to go in alone and faint at least one pokemon in a group. Usually this boss will have some sort of gimmick that will cause intrepid explorers trouble. One important thing to note is that some minor dungeons may have this as the final boss. Using the Molten Cave example again, you finally get to a room, filled with lava flows, when suddenly you're beset with a Torkoal with buffed stats. As if that wasn't enough, every round the Lava Flow spits out a Slugma or two, and there's no way to shut it off until the boss is dead. After the boss is dead, the flows stop producing Slugmas, and you simply have to finish those off to proceed.

Trial 2: You're getting close to the boss now, there's just one more puzzle to go, but it's a doozy. You see, unlike the Trial 1 puzzle, if you fail this enough times, some sort of penalty will await you, ranging from doing a bit of damage to your pokemon to, in extreme circumstances, instant death for you or your pokemon! In Molten Cave, this takes the form of a dark cave. If you have Flash, you can use it to see the room, a 3 way fork in the road. Only one of these lead to the legendary, and the others...well we'll not speak of that. However, you noticed that the Slugmas came from the left wall in the former chamber, and the Torkoal came from the center, therefore you conjecture the safe path may be the right path, and you'd be right.

Big Boss Battle:Here you finally are, the resting place of your target, or is it? Here, you will face the boss of the dungeon. The type of battle that awaits depends on the dungeon. If you're inside a minor dungeon with a Big Boss, expect a mere buffed up pokemon. If you're in a legendary's domain however, watch out, because the fury of these legendaries rival that of a weaker Raid Boss! Often these legendary pokemon will have maddening arena effects seeking to destroy you and everyone around you. Using Molten Cave again, say hello to Groudon, and he's angry. He has access to a plethora of moves, and if he decides to use Earthquake, some Stalactites will fall from the ceiling and cause a bit of additional damage (about 2). The real clincher? Every round a Lava Flow will come through and deal 10 damage to your pokemon unless you figure out that you can block them with rocks from say rock slide. As if that wasn't enough, if he's not dead or captured by 15 rounds, a huge lava flow will envelop the arena. I hope you brought a flying type AND and escape rope to get out of the hole in the ceiling, otherwise you're so dead.

So yeah, there's my ideas. Any thoughts?
  3. Leethoof

Leethoof

As an outside omnipotent observer, I feel I have some sort of input on this.

The simple answer: Yes, they are in fact the main reason this has bogged down too much. However, there should still be some sort consequence for exploring the wild. I'm not entirely sure, but codifying some sort of fatigue on the player's party (-X HP, -Y EN every day), or something like that. I feel that full-on wild battles don't really represent the average trainer wandering through the forests of wherever. A true wild Pokemon doesn't sit there and fight to the death against some random intruders (excluding nests, etc. which would be seperate), they would flee when wounded, or simply try to intimidate their foes. Therefore, an actual battle does not represent this at all.

2)I had some minor ideas, but I like Maxim's idea too much. If players travel together, they should VM/IRC to coordinate orders and send team PMs, imo. If there are multiple groups, then ref works with any conflicts and whatnot.

3)Yes. Although it will kind of reduce the fun factor and tricky stuff that is possible, having the game go by faster will improve the overall experience.

4)Look at my suggestions for wild fights. The only combat that should exists should be PvP and Boss.

5)If I recall correctly, this would require some reworking of player classes if it was removed. With my suggestions of removing all non-neccesary combat, this would be kind of out automatically. I don't think its that important of a gameplay thing.

Will do the rest later.
  4. Athenodoros

Athenodoros Official Smogon Know-It-All

My two cents:

I'd say go more like in-game: you can avoid it most of the time, but if you want easy battles you can find them. i.e. you have a few minor bosses around, but to get lackey battles you actually need to actively look for them. I suspect this would solve all of these problems.

I'd say do it like everything else. The way it is now is fine, so long as people keep to DQs.

A week is unnecessary. It means things move too slowly. I'd say 72 hours.

I'd say any sufficiently hard attack from a Pokemon would be fine, but in the knowledge that a killing blow would take long enough that a player could release a Pokemon to block it and loud enough that it could be heard if the Pokemon was invisible/hiding or something.

Pokemon should be rewarded out of game, refs should be rewarded per roleplay done, with some added in cases of extreme complexity, and players should get rewards per battle or small amounts for when Pokemon are used outside of battle.

I don't like subbing in another player with their own Pokemon, and I personally wouldn't want to sub in with another Pokemon. With that in mind, I guess a ref would have to take over, because just letting someone know that someone is on their team would make them play very differently - it is anime style MAFIA. However, this would mean a lot of extra work for refs, which could slow it down, so I guess a player getting paid in UC and CC as appropriate would be the best option.
  5. Rediamond

Rediamond

EDIT: Written before the above post. This post in no way, shape, or form is a reply to the ideas presented above.

I am leaning towards Leethoof's argument for abolishing Wild Battles on Routes entirely, bar the ones a player seeks out. Originally, they were meant to be an element from ingame, where pointless grinding was going to happen when you tried to move routes. However, I'm inclined to bring it closer to Anime standards by adding new things to routes, that won't be wild battles, in order to slow down progress and keep them interested.

As far as turn based went, I was referring more to abolishing the battle aspects and making it into a puzzle based challenge, with mini-rounds inside of a given week where players would recieve updates on the progress of combat. I think the consensus is to keep it free-flow in terms of time... maybe?

As far as Maxim's dungeon idea goes, I will consider it, but possibly upgrade it to make it harder. In his particular example, anyone with half of a brain and a few Pokemon with a good matchup would stand a chance of beating Groudon. If I do take on Maxim's plan, it would probably add in another round of puzzles and combats for dungeons with a legend at the end, and possibly longer for the most powerful legendaries. For isntance, Groudon might have another midboss at the end of the route puzzle, followed up by a battle with a Rhyperior who shoots out Geodude from his arms every round, striking as a Rock Blast attack, and summoning Geodude. After that, there might be a long pool of lava surrounded by boulders that you would need to figure out a way to cross (Push the boulders, flying might be banned). In these cases, a very short diagram would provide an outline of the puzzle.

That's my present thoughts on dungeons. I like Maxim's plan, I just think that Dungeon's need to take some time.

In terms of combat, I think that I'm leaning towards Minor Trainers existing, and Wild Pokemon being out there, but players would have to actively seek them out. I'm still not sure if bosses or minions should be open to capture, but I'm inclined to take my current approach... or the TLR approach, where the boss is mostly reset. This still opens up the issue of taking things out of the games though...

I may cut turns down to 3 days, in exchange for shortening the minimum update length, at least temporarily. Unless I can get some help reffing this, I can not write 4500+ words every three days on top of my other obligations.

ASM actually does operate on an HP system, that's basically hidden and very seldom plays a role. Bar stuff like figuring out how much a falling building would do to a character (kill, escape, injure?), usually a kill is pretty obvious when it happens. I'll probably just expand an HP system, and maybe an energy system, to characters. Every so often they'll have to rest to restore their HP, which might consume three turns out of an eight turn day. There would be no "Night," but players below a certain amount of energy would be forced to rest during the "night" phases. This would roughly work out to one round every month, with a little left over at the end.

I'm also considering attaching a time signature to every action, to show players what they can and can not do in a three hour phase.

I'm still waiting to here the opinion of an actual player, and nothing is set in stone yet. Keep up the discussion.
  6. Athenodoros

Athenodoros Official Smogon Know-It-All

Just to be clear, I think we mean players have a DQ of 3 days. I don't think refs need such strict DQs.

Also, I'm a real player.
  7. Temperantia

Temperantia

If you absolutely must keep these, make them encounters with Pokemon may actually want to catch. Stupid Geodude and its Self-Destruct...

Yes, players should have at most a 3 Day DQ. Refs, however, should be able to take their sweet time.

Actually scratch what I said above, just remove capture/unnecessary battles altogether.

As being the first and only(?) player to have been eliminated so far, I feel I have the most perspective of the players on this issue.

While at the time my death seemed a little unfair, the game is in fact an anime style mafia game. If I wouldn't have been so trusting, I likely would have survived the encounter; much like how trusting the wrong people in an actual mafia game will get you killed.

At the same time, I feel like something akin to PSW's order spells could be in place. I don't feel like a single player mistake should be punishable by elimination; therefore an "extra life" system could help the less mafia-skilled players. It would also encourage players to not risk their identity when attacking, since their victim would be able to escape barring extreme circumstances. Perhaps this could involve sacrificing at least one of your own Pokemon to save their trainer's life? With the elimination of captures and an overall increase in boss difficulty, this would effectively save the player from elimination, while also significantly lower their chances at winning the game.
  8. Rediamond

Rediamond

I think the substitution proposal is more or less accepted, and I'll probably move to the proposed system. If the player comes back, let them take back over after a briefing on what's happened.

Which leaves kills, captures, and puzzles.

I only know what the beginner's guide to PSW had to say on the subject of PSW kills. From that, I think it would be hard to execute within the format of ASB, although I wouldn't mind introducing an RNG for fatal actions, where a formula of conditions determines the probability of a kill succeeding. Trainer Classes would be partially reworked to deal with this. Input from LightWolf in particular would be appreciated on the subject of kills.

Capture is odd. I want to keep lackies, and wild Pokemon, and to a lesser extent gift Pokemon and trainer battles. I just want to make them far less frequent, and in 90% of cases the player would have to seek them out. This means that I should probably keep capture, but I'm not sure how this would work with bosses. I'm inclined to make it so bosse can't be captured at all- just allied with or subdued by an artifact that lets the holder control it. Think the Blue Orb, or the Red Chain. Would this be an acceptable compromise?

And puzzles. I'm not sure if dungeons should be mostly tricks and puzzles, mostly combat, or about half of each. In general I want to go with traps and puzzles that harm Pokemon if done successfully. I'm even considering radical possibilities like boss fights being mostly centered around solving puzzles. For instance, Kyogre is defeated when you manage to seal him off from the rain falling from the sky, and not by depleting his health to zero. I don't really know here...

Oh, and Critical Moments. They speed up the plot, but they are minorly unbalancing and wholly luck reliant. Thoughts?
  9. Rediamond

Rediamond

Alright, excuse the double post, but I think that everything that is to be said has been said, and most issues have ended in consensus. Thus, time for a list of reforms:

1) The average day is being divided up into 8 units, each representing three hours and with a three day DQ. To compensate, refs get a minimum word count lowered to 300. While flavor should still be included to the maximum extent possible, and this is a minimum and not an encouraged number, this makes it possible for one person to ref. While I will be gone at certain points over the summer, I believe this makes it possible for someone else to ref for a week or so if needed, as 3000 words every few days isn't actually that bad.

Three hours is a set amount of time that defines a round, and participants are allowed to push the limit. Dialogue with refs over how much time something would take is fully allowed and encouraged.

2) There are now human stats. These are HP, Energy, Reflex, Personality, Intelligence, Perception, and Strength. While these will likely not be introduced in the beta test, they will be up for G1 and a secondary beta that's in development, but will likely not even be semi-public. HP and Energy are the only ones you have to worry about for now. HP is the amount of damage a player can take before becoming injured or dying, depending upon the nature of the final blow. Either way, elimination. For the purpose of the beta, all players have 50 HP. Energy is the other factor that matters the most. Every player will have a certain amount of energy- 100 for our purposes. Every action takes energy, and will lead to the total depleting. Players can spend one of their actions resting to regain 35 energy. If a player's energy reaches zero, they will fall asleep at the end of the round and forfeit the next three.

The other stats will be skimmed over briefly. Reflex involves the ability to react quickly, and get out of fatal scenarios alive. It is also useful in other situations, like reacting in split-second decisions, and firing projectile weapons. Personality involves how easily a player deals with NPC's, other players, etc. and effects the impression they recieve of you. This means you can potentially lead a ref to start giving various positive notes about your past behaviors in a player's reffings, if you have a very high personality level. Low levels will incur the opposite. Intelligence involves the ability to put together devices, administer healing, or conduct research for certain classes. It is also the basis of Psychic power. For all classes, it involves the amount of background information a ref can give you. A very high intelligence will end in refs feeding you vital information about anything you see. With low intelligence, you'll have to figure everything out yourself. Perception is how likely a player is to notice details, such as other people in a crowd, minor scars on a hand, or rocks out of place in a dungeon that could lead to a dangerous situation. Strength is the ability to hit, run, throw, etc.

Only HP and Energy will exist in this game. After the game, every player will be forced to develop their character more heavily. Every player will have a certain number of points to distrubte between the non HP/En stats. Every class will have additional parameters. And trainer classes can be changed after the game (and G0 fatalities don't count).

3) Almost all non-Boss combat has been removed, although it can still be found if someone really wants too... Routes take up time and energy from a player's day, ending in a balancing effect. Non-boss wild Pokemon can be captured. Bosses can not be.

4) Dungeon's have been reworked along lines similar to Maxim's idea, with more puzzles and traps in them, and some will be a bit longer. DQ in dungeons is 48 hours. All G0 dungeons are being rewritten, but dungeons players are currently exploring will remain identical to their current draft.

5) Rewards are being redone. Please wait for further information.

6) I'm working on a formula to determine probabilities of landing an attack on a player, as well as the amount of damage it will do. Ultimately, the formulas will be fed into an RNG, which will determine the probability of an attack working, and then be RNG'd to see how much damage it does within a certain range. This will work on Strength, Reflex, and the nature of the attack.

And I think that's mostly it. Critical moments are gone. Subs don't really happen, but in absence of orders, a ref will order for a player. It saves refs time on writing flavor anyways, as they can just write a bulleted list of what happened. Fleshing out your character to allow refs more knowledge on how they would work, through the profile and flavor in messages to refs, will be appreciated and increasingly rewarded from this point on.

I'll wrap up day Four eventually, and Day Five will start when I can find people willing to help with reffing.

That's all. Discuss the new stats if you want, in terms of possible applications and such.
  10. Maxim

Maxim

Sounds like a good plan. I think this will help remove some of the clutter of the RP as it stands.

That said, I do feel like we're missing something really obvious here that could shorten it by a lot more. I'm not sure what it is, though my gut tells me it has to do with kill mechanics. However, this is a step in the right direction for sure.

A few comments on the notes themselves. The units system looks good, though I wonder if you should instead have 6 four hour segments. Also, it sounds like each round of battle takes up a unit?

As for the Human stats, they look pretty good. Obviously the exact details need to be expanded so that over-specialized characters don't get accidentally made. But it's a good start.

The rest looks just fine. One quick question though, when you say boss mons cannot be captured, does that include minibosses, or just the legendary/absurdly powerful pokemon?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)