ORAS Doubles OU Strong Fish and Strong Friends(Peaked #16)

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Introduction

Nice video featuring Strong Fish being strong

Proof of Peak:

Hai everyone, blinkie here with a Doubles RMT. After spamming TR for a while and doing OK with it, I got bored and I also got scared I would get counterteamed. So I decided to give Sand Offense a try because it seemed cool and was less mainstream than Sun and Rain. Eventually with the help of my frens in the Doubles Room on PS I built this team which I used to peak at #16 on the Doubles ladder. Blabla I don't know what to put in an introduction onto teambuilding process
Protip: If you steal this team try not to use it against someone who spams Rain for example I lost to Haruno even after dodging Muddy Water four times

My team started off with Tyranitar and Excadrill to form a Sandspam core. They also share a lot of weaknesses so they have good synergy.

Next I added Mega Diancie because it seemed like a strong mega for Sand and I like spamming spread moves, also Fairy coverage seemed cool.

I added Volcarona because I wanted to see how many water weaknesses I can stack it offered RagePowder support and it also can hit Aegi hard.

I added Hitmontop because I thought Fake Out seemed nice and so was Wide Guard and Quick Guard. Also was a pretty splashable mon in general. Nice to have a mon not weak to water as well.

I finally added the strong fish for a water resist. It was also pretty strong, so I put it in the front for the Intimidation factor. I switched Volcarona after Excadrill because having 3 water weak mons in a row seemed cool. I put Diancie in the back so hopefully people don't notice its my mega.

After suggestion from Philosophist, I decided to use Talonflame over Volcarona as it did much of what Volcarona could do while also providing strong priority and providing Quick Guard. I also changed Excadrill from Sash to Life Orb and Quick Guard to Feint.

In Depth

Strong Fish (Gyarados) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Icy Wind
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Taunt

The Strong fish is strong. First of all his Intimidation factor makes the opponents not strong unless their name is Bisharp(or lol Milotic). Icy Wind hits targets like Landoge and Garchomp for stronk damage, and makes them slow as well(Bisharp and Milotic tho). You can also run Thunder Wave here if you're feeling lucky or you have trouble with Tailwind spam. Waterfall is so strong it needs no investment to have a 62.5% chance of OHKOing Blaziken. It is also STAB boosted and makes the fish pretty good at fishing for flinches. Protect is good when people try to use Electric moves on you and Taunt is good at messing up TR and random moves etc. This thing also lols at Landoge, Zard and Swampert, because it is too strong. Did I mention its my only water resist?

Protip: Bring Tailwind + fast Milotic and autowin against this team

Strong Dragon (Tyranitar) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Protect

Strong Dragon sets up Sand for the team. Also he is pretty slow so kinda checks TR. Shuca Berry to tank Excadrill EQ better, although maybe I should try Chople as well. Also Sitrus Berry spam is something only firehusky would do. The Special Attack EVs get on OHKO on Landoge or something. Rock Slide is pretty good spread move spam. Crunch is for Aegi cause I lost every time that showed up on my last team. Ice Beam for random mons like Landoge and Garchomp etc. You can run Fire Blast if random stuff like Ferrothorn and Scizor gives the team problems. Not much else to say don't try to leave this thing on Fighting-type moves unless you use Protect etc. You might wanna play safely with him if opponent has Sun and play recklessly with Rain(you autolose to this anyway) or Goodstuffs. I always think this thing is deadweight until Exca wrecks a team and then decide to keep him.

Protip: You can win by bringing a team that looks like Goodstuffs but then after getting rid of TTar use Hail to remove Sand.

Strong Mole (Excadrill) @ Focus Sash Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

The Strong Mole can take advantage of the Sand. It is also the Spinner of the team cleaner of the team, as it hits pretty hard with a Sand Rush speed boost. Focus Sash so I can live a hit outside of Sand. Earthquake and Rock Slide are spread move spams and then Iron Head to kill random Fairies. If you wanna use him probably need to set up sand first although you can switch in TTar while protecting or living a hit with Sash. Try not to get crits in your own team, or you could switch in Gyarados while spamming EQ. Watch out for random Flying mons like Landoge or Air Balloon Excadrill. Also don't fodder it after bringing down to Sash cause it can be saved for later. When you are losing badly, just go for flinches and hope for hax. Life Orb is used over Focus Sash to provide some extra power, as Focus Sashes are easily broken anyways.

Protip: Don't leave Excadrill in on Scalds even with unbroken Sash because it WILL burn you.

Strong Burd (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Quick Guard
- Protect

As per Philosophist 's suggestion, I switched Volcarona out for Talonflame. All in all, Talonflame basically did everything Volcarona did but better. Stronk priority Brave Bird can be abused to help against TR and Rain, saving you from mons like Ludicolo and Abomasnow that would otherwise run over this team in their field conditions. Quick Guard also frees up a moveslot in Hitmontop. Overheat is nice for hitting the Steels that Volcarona was hitting like Scizor and co. Pretty helpful mon overall.

Protip: Omastar in rain kinda runs over this team without Hitmontop...

Strong Top (Hitmontop) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard Feint
- Close Combat

So yeah kinda standard set. Pretty helpful for blocking random Brave Birds with Quick Guard, also blocks Rock Slide and Muddy Water with Wide Guard. Fake Out is good because I can Fake Out a threat and then partner does something random. Also can be really annoying when it keeps switching in and out and spams Fake Out unless your name is Milotic. Close Combat is mandatory to hit mainstream mons like Kanga and Bisharp. EVs do something I forgot since I copied it off the analysis. Kinda helpful mon in general IMO. Although it can't touch anything people use on TR. It also dies really fast cause I switch it into like half the tier. So yeah don't think it can switch into everything like I did. Feint is also good to hit people trying to dodge behind Protect, also it can pick off Sashers lol. Quick Guard is not used anymore since Talonflame already has it.

Protip: Quick Guard is outsped by faster Fake Out so yeah when facing Kanga + Talonflame with Volc and Hitmontop don't Quick Guard and think you win.

Strong Rock (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

The mega of the team is also strong. Diamond Storm is super spammable and boosts Defense so you actually get really hard to kill. Can someone give me a better EV spread cause Moonblast and Earth Power are weak. Sand also boosts SpD to make it even harder to kill for example it can tank Deo-A Psycho Boost in Sand. Also can easily beat Zard outside of Sand, and Protect makes sure you mega safely. Really stronk mon in general unless Diamond Storm misses. Also Clear Body is actually pretty helpful so you don't get intimidated, and speed tier is really good. Diancie + Volc murders everything not using Muddy Water in rain. Decent answer to Bisharp as Earth Power OHKOs. Also works well as secondary cleaner if Exca dies.

Protip: Run Steel moves on all your mons like random Iron Head Terrakion and Steel Wing Talonflame.

Strong Moth (Volcarona) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 224 HP / 76 Def / 100 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rage Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Overheat / Heat Wave
- Protect

Credit to Philosophist for suggesting Rage Powder Volcarona. I think its better than Amoonguss because it has offensive presence and isn't shut down by (insert mon with Safety Goggles). It hits Aegislash which is kinda helpful. Bug Buzz is helpful secondary STAB that doesn't drop your SpA, also it saved me in a match with Level 51 Cosmic Power Deo-D by getting a crit on it. Overheat is STAB that is your nuke. Also after using it you should probably switch out or spam RagePowder. Pretty good at killing random mons like Scizor Gene and Ferro. Use Protect when your opponent thinks you will RagePowder and uses Hydro or something on you. EVs do something idek cuz I just stole the set. The best part is when Flame Body burns random mons that try to use Fake Out on you, or Bullet punch on Diancie. Heat Wave as suggested by KyleCole can also be used over Overheat if you want even more spread moves. Unfortunately it lands weaker hits on a single target. However it does have the benefit of not dropping SpA after its use.

Protip: For some reason Rage Powder just doesn't work on Venu so save yourself the pain and Overheat it instead.

Volcarona can still be used on this team, but Talonflame(suggested by Philosophist) does most of what it does better, with access to Quick Guard, priority Brave Bird, and a decently strong Overheat as well. Flame Body and Bug STAB weren't really worth justifying use of Volcarona over Talonflame, so I made the switch.

Conclusion, Replays and Shoutouts
So yeah this is my team feel free to steal modify copypasta etc. You can probs peak higher than I did since I'm kinda bad at doubles. Also I will warn anyone who uses this again that it autoloses to rain so yeah only counterteam someone running Sun. Been fun playing Doubles instead of OU now also Doubles room on PS is gr8. Don't make crucial plays depending on Rock Slide cause you know it will miss. I guess that's the team. Now for shoutouts...

No hide tag this time so I can flood your alerts:
firehusky for being a cool but bad fren
Recreant for encouraging firehusky do do a 1k and what does mah face mean
-Clone- awesome fren(not firehusky style shoutouts)
Aragorn the King because everyone gives you shoutouts and Victim of the Week is cool
boltsandbombers awesome fren
Karxrida awesome cool dude
Celticpride cool fren
Kurona awesome fren
AM cool fren and awesome mod as usual
Philosophist for helping me build the team and being a cool fren
alexwolf cool mod that didn't let me make a Silly Things You've Seen on the Ladder
Jukain awesome fren
Laga Widdly_Scuds farticblaster SpaceBass and qsns for helping me when I was new at doubles
Shoutouts to everyone else in the Doubles Room that I probably forgot about
Shoutouts to random people I haxed to death with flinches
Shoutouts to anyone that wants them

Some replays if you want to see them:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-206173232

Game vs #1 player on ladder
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-206186074
Try to ignore the chat on this game lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-206745419
The rating was not that high but featured a kinda interesting squad

Importable

Strong Fish (Gyarados) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Icy Wind
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Taunt

Strong Dragon (Tyranitar) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Protect

Strong Mole (Excadrill) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Strong Burd (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
-Brave Bird
-Overheat
-Quick Guard
-Protect

Strong Top (Hitmontop) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard
- Close Combat

Strong Rock (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Thanks for taking the time to read this :]
You might wanna read this now
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mega-gyarados-and-friends-1k-rmt.3528279/
You're welcome firehusky for shameless advertisement

-blinkie

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Cool team! I really like Diancie sand, and it's nice to see people using mons like Hitmontop again.

Credit to Philosophist for suggesting Rage Powder Volcarona.
err I thought I said I hated rage powder volc. I can still respect the set, but I don't think it benefits your team much. The only things it can really redirect to your benefit are bullet punch and (the nonexistent) mach punch. It also shares a water weakness with almost everything else and can't take very many eqs. For anything else, your volc could ko the opponent rather than redirect the attack.

I recommend changing Volcarona to Quick Guard Talonflame, which rather than hitmontop, actually outspeeds fake out. Additionally, it has powerful priority, which you lack on this team, making you slightly less susceptible to TR and Rain.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Also, doing this would let your Hitmontop use Feint > Quick Guard, which helps you deal with wide guard, as much of your offense is spread.

My last edit would be Life Orb>Focus Sash on Excadrill.
Nonboosted exca is disappointingly weak, and exca has enough natural bulk and good typing to live non super effective attacks. In sand, you want exca to do as much damage as possible. Also, trying to preserve your sash would mean you'd be less likely to switch in on a rock slide, which would normally give you momentum.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Thanks for gr8 suggestions guys!
I will change everything, cause yeah I think Talonflame can most of what Volcarona can do while also providing stronk priority.
Also definitely running Life Orb over Sash cause Sash only helps sometimes and its too easy to break with stuff like Fake Out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)