Same Type Stealth Rock

Art by Andrew

Intro
Welcome to Same Type Stealth Rock - or STSR for short! In this metagame, Stealth Rock damage can be any type. The type is based on the primary type of the Stealth Rock user. For example, if Skarmory uses Stealth Rock, it will deal Steel type damage on switch-in. Or if Garchomp uses Stealth Rock, it will deal Dragon type damage on switch-in.

Effectiveness
This means that if you set Fairy type Stealth Rock, it would be super effective against 3 types, resisted by 3 types, and neutral against 12 types. If you set Ground type Stealth Rock, it would be super effective against 5 types, resisted by 2 types, neutral against 10 types, and Flying types would be immune.

Mechanics
Magic Bounce/Coat sets Stealth Rock of the bouncer's type.
Protean sets Rock type Stealth Rock.

Dark type Pokemon are immune to Psychic type Stealth Rock.
Fairy type Pokemon are immune to Dragon type Stealth Rock.
Flying type Pokemon, Pokemon with Levitate, and Pokemon holding an Air Balloon are immune to Ground type Stealth Rock (except under Gravity).
Ghost type Pokemon are immune to Normal/Fighting type Stealth Rock.
Normal type Pokemon are immune to Ghost type Stealth Rock.
Steel type Pokemon are immune to Poison type Stealth Rock.

Volt Absorb removes Electric type Stealth Rock.
Water Absorb removes Water type Stealth Rock.

Rapid Spin (without Scrappy) does not remove Ghost type Stealth Rock.

Rules
Standard OU clauses apply.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I submitted exactly this back in like March but nevermind.

In any case, since most SR setters are Steel and Ground types, Steel and Ground-weak Pokemon, specifically Rock types, are going to be hurt by this. Other viable SR users include Chansey for Normal rocks, Clefable for Fairy rocks, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys for Psychic rocks, Ferrothorn for Grass rocks, Garchomp for Dragon rocks, Heatran for Fire rocks, Mamoswine for Ice Rocks (which seem really threatening) and Terrakion and Tyranitar for regular Rocks.

One interesting thing about this metagame is that you can decide which rocks you want depending on what kind of team you're facing. You can also remove your own hazards and set up some other ones, if you feel like they're going to be more useful overall.

is it possible to stack multiple types of SR (like ice type SR and electric type SR)?
No. And Stealth Rock still works the same so it would fail if it is already set, rather than changing type.

I submitted exactly this back in like March but nevermind.

In any case, since most SR setters are Steel and Ground types, Steel and Ground-weak Pokemon, specifically Rock types, are going to be hurt by this. Other viable SR users include Chansey for Normal rocks, Clefable for Fairy rocks, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys for Psychic rocks, Ferrothorn for Grass rocks, Garchomp for Dragon rocks, Heatran for Fire rocks, Mamoswine for Ice Rocks (which seem really threatening) and Terrakion and Tyranitar for regular Rocks.

One interesting thing about this metagame is that you can decide which rocks you want depending on what kind of team you're facing. You can also remove your own hazards and set up some other ones, if you feel like they're going to be more useful overall.
Your thread was missed by all the OM staff. I apologize.

That's an interesting idea; multiple Stealth Rock users may actually be viable in this metagame. I expect Defog to be on almost every team.

• Bland Rocks (Normal)
  • Simmering Rocks (Fire)
  • Conflicting Rocks (Fighting)
  • Liquidized Rocks (Water)
  • Soaring Rocks (Flying)
  • Forest Rocks (Grass)
  • Poisoned Rocks (Poison)
  • Magnetised Rocks (Electric)
  • Infused Rocks (Ground)
  • Telepathic Rocks (Psychic)
  • Rock Rocks (Rock) [or Stealth Rock w/e]
  • Frozen Rocks (Ice)
  • Pestering Rocks (Bug)
  • Draconic Rocks (Dragon)
  • Possessed Rocks (Ghost)
  • Evil Rocks (Dark)
  • Metal Rocks (Steel) [this is a pun on like 'geology rocks', but w/ metal n_n]
  • Pink Mythical Rocks (Fairy)
Keep in mind that it's 4:00 AM and I haven't gotten any sleep whatsoever n__n. Anyways, I'm going to edit the Stealth Rock sprite just to play around and see what happens n___n.

Good users of each type (most prominent users bolded):

Bug: Forretress, Shuckle
Dark: Bisharp
Electric: None
Dragon: Garchomp
Fairy: Clefable
Fighting: None
Fire: Heatran, Infernape
Flying: None
Ghost: None

Grass: Ferrothorn
Ground: Excadrill, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Krookodile, Landorus-I, Landorus-T
Ice: Mamoswine
Normal: Blissey, Chansey
Poison: Nidoking, Nidoqueen
Psychic: Celebi, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Mew
Rock: Terrakion, Tyranitar
Steel: Aggron, Jirachi, Skarmory
Water: Empoleon, Swampert

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think regular Stealth Rock might still be one of the best ones in this metagame. I feel like Pokemon weak to regular Stealth Rock will probably be more common here because there are 14 different types of Stealth Rock in existence and thus a lot higher chance of the opponent not carrying regular Stealth Rock. This gives you some wiggle room with Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Volcarona, etc. which means they might be quite common. Plus, you can still set it up with Tyranitar, which is still an amazing Pokemon.

Having said that, Defog will also probably be quite common. You never know before your battle whether or not you will need it, which means that you'll probably want it just in case. Plus, as somebody else mentioned, you might occasionally want to Defog your own Stealth Rock so that you can set up a different type.

This also leads to an interesting dynamic for hyper offensive teams. Deoxys-D now sets Psychic-type Stealth Rock, which is an awful offensive typing and only hits Poison- and Fighting-types for super effective damage. Now you have more incentive to use hazard leads that are inferior to Deoxys-D but set up a better type of Stealth Rock. Unfortunately, your options for Stealth Rock/Spikes users are pretty slim. Skarmory, which is the closest replacement to Deoxys-D with Taunt and decent Speed, sets Steel-type Stealth Rock, which only hits Rock and Ice super effectively and is resisted by Water, Fire, and Steel. Omastar is probably the suicide hazard lead with the best type of Stealth Rock, with classic Rock-type Stealth Rock. Ferrothorn is actually a neat option with Grass-type Stealth Rock; it misses out on a ton with seven resistances, but it hits very common Water- and Ground-types, as well as Rock-types.

Should be a neat metagame.

MAMP

MAMP!
How will this work with immunity abilities? I.e, what happens if a Storm Drain Pokemon comes in when there are water rocks up?

How will this work with immunity abilities? I.e, what happens if a Storm Drain Pokemon comes in when there are water rocks up?
I have not decided yet. I will confer with a researcher to find out how they think it would work in-game before deciding (or if it's possible to hack the type change, how it really works!).

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seems very interesting, it'll grant people a lot more flexibility in terms of team options since things like Talonflame, Volcarona, and Charizard won't have to worry that much about losing 50% HP upon switch-in anymore, and players will use different Stealth Rock setters other than all the common Deo-D, Skarmory, etc, leads. Players can bring different setters to counter different mons; Infernape or Heatran on a rain team solely to deter Ferrothorn, Mamoswine to destroy Lando-T and Gliscor, and so on. It would also add a lot of unpredictability, since a single team cannot be prepared for every single type of Stealth Rock.

In regards to the ability immunity issue, how about having the Pokemon with Volt Absorb / Flash Fire / Sap Sipper / Water Absorb absorb the Stealth Rocks upon switching in but not activate the ability in question, similar to Poison-types absorbing Toxic Spikes.

Bird Offense will gain intense popularity now that SR isn't necessarily Rock-type. Such teams will also be able to run several Defog users and would love to have an SR setter of Fire or Ground type. Dugtrio can be used to KO Rock-types trying to counter BirdSpam.

Infernape/Excadrill/Dugtrio/Thundurus/Talonflame/Pinsir-Mega would be a difficult team to deal with for those reasons.

A- or higher pokemon that certain stealth rock types cover:

Bug: Deoxys, Greninja, Tyranitar, Lati@s (5)
Dark: Aegislash, Deoxys, Gengar, Lati@s (5)
Dragon: Dragonite, Garchomp, Lati@s, Kyurem-B (5)
Fairy: Breloom, Dragonite, Garchomp, Greninja, Keldeo, Tyranitar, Mandibuzz, Lati@s, Terrakion, Kyurem-B (11)
Fire: Aegislash, Bisharp, Excadrill, Mawile, Pinsir, Scizor, Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Mamoswine, Scolipede, Skarmory (11)
Grass: Azumarill, Greninja, Keldeo, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Terrakion, Diggersby, Mamoswine, Manaphy (10)
Ground: Aegislash, Bisharp, Excadrill, Mawile, Tyranitar, Heatran, Terrakion (7) (use gravity for way more)
Ice: Breloom, Dragonite, Landorus (both), Thundurus, Garchomp, Venusaur, Hippowdon, Mandibuzz, Lati@s, Diggersby, Gliscor (13)
Normal:
Poison: Azumarill, Clefable (2)
Psychic: Breloom, Keldeo, Venusaur, Gengar, Terrakion, Scolipede (6)
Rock: Charizard, Dragonite, Thundurus, Gyarados, Pinsir, Talonflame, Mandibuzz, Kyurem-B, Scolipede (9)
Steel: Clefable, Tyranitar, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Mamoswine (5)
Water: Charizard, Landorus (both), Excadrill, Talonflame, Tyranitar, Heatran, Hippowdon, Terrakion, Diggersby, Gliscor, Mamoswine (12)

So, looking at it, Water, Fire, Ice, and Fairy stealth rock seem to be the most effective, with Ice leading the charge. I can see hazard stacking becoming an actual strategy now.

One question, though: If mega venusaur switches into ice type stealth rock, does it take 25% or 12%?

How will Protean Kecleon with Stealth Rock work in this metagame? Will Stealth Rock always be normal, or will it be the type Kecleon currently is? I guess it doesn't really matter, as Kecleon is hardly viable anyway, but I'm just curious.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How will Protean Kecleon with Stealth Rock work in this metagame? Will Stealth Rock always be normal, or will it be the type Kecleon currently is? I guess it doesn't really matter, as Kecleon is hardly viable anyway, but I'm just curious.
As Stealth Rock is a Rock Type move (It will stay rock type move, just work differently I think). Kecleon will change to Rock type and sets Rock Type Stealth Rocks afterwards.

Real shame there doesnt seem to be any primary fighting type stealth rock setters apart from arceus, I'd have loved to have imagined flying fists entering the battle field

Infact it seems ghost, electrict, flying aswell lack their pebbles all together as the only types that get these are dual typed with the primary being something else.
Should SR get bit more spread on this meta or should these dual typed be able to setup the secondary typing aswell? (user chooses the type or it gets randomized?)

Just saying as Fighting and Flying would be two also pretty powerful SR types to consider.

Real shame there doesnt seem to be any primary fighting type stealth rock setters apart from arceus, I'd have loved to have imagined flying fists entering the battle field

Infact it seems ghost, electrict, flying aswell lack their pebbles all together as the only types that get these are dual typed with the primary being something else.
Should SR get bit more spread on this meta or should these dual typed be able to setup the secondary typing aswell? (user chooses the type or it gets randomized?)

Just saying as Fighting and Flying would be two also pretty powerful SR types to consider.
The point is to use the primary type, so let's keep it as simple as possible

• Bland Rocks (Normal)
  • Simmering Rocks (Fire)
  • Conflicting Rocks (Fighting)
  • Liquidized Rocks (Water)
  • Soaring Rocks (Flying)
  • Forest Rocks (Grass)
  • Poisoned Rocks (Poison)
  • Magnetised Rocks (Electric)
  • Infused Rocks (Ground)
  • Telepathic Rocks (Psychic)
  • Rock Rocks (Rock) [or Stealth Rock w/e]
  • Frozen Rocks (Ice)
  • Pestering Rocks (Bug)
  • Draconic Rocks (Dragon)
  • Possessed Rocks (Ghost)
  • Evil Rocks (Dark)
  • Metal Rocks (Steel) [this is a pun on like 'geology rocks', but w/ metal n_n]
  • Pink Mythical Rocks (Fairy)
Keep in mind that it's 4:00 AM and I haven't gotten any sleep whatsoever n__n. Anyways, I'm going to edit the Stealth Rock sprite just to play around and see what happens n___n.
My only issue with this system of naming is that Stealth Rock is called Stealth Rock because it's Rock-type. Bug could be something like "Insect Swarm" (stupid, I know); it doesn't have to be a type of rock.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think it'd be rather interesting if abilities like Volt Absorb and Sap Sipper did all 3 of the following: 1) the Pokemon with the ability is immune to the respective SR type. 2) Their ability activates instead of taking damage. 3) The SR of the type that activates the ability is removed. So basically, Jellicent can recover HP from switching into Water-type SR, and he removes it with Water Absorb. I kinda got the idea with Toxic Spikes disappearing when a Poison-type switches in.

Just want to mention that Levitate avoids Spikes, so you should probably at least keep immunities the same.

Also, Mamoswine is good in this meta.
Levitate avoiding Spikes has nothing to due with having immunity to Ground. Levitate users also avoid Toxic Spikes, but they can be hit by Poison-type moves and be poisoned.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I anticipate that Infernape will be quite popular as a SR setter, as Steel-types such as Aegislash, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn will be significantly easier to wear down with his ability to quickly lay down Fire-type SR.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly nature
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Protect/Endeavor/Knock Off

I predict Mamoswine will be the most common lead, if not the most used pokemon in the entire metagame. Oblivious makes it immune to Taunt and with a Focus Sash it can't be OHKO'd. Protect is there to stop Fake Out users such as Infernape. This means only Magic Coat/Bounce (very predictable and most of the users are weak to Knock Off, which Mamo learns) and fast sleep (Scarf Breloom is destroyed by Ice Shard) can stop it.

It's pretty interesting how ice still has the best SE coverage among S- and A-rank pokemon, despite this generation being very unkind to ice as a type.

stealth ice finally yessss gg meta HYPE
Dragon/fairy will be cool definitely, maybe fighting to take out steels as well.
One annoying thing is most SRers are limited to rock ground and steel types, though, so things that are exceptions such as celebi clefable garchomp are sure to be really valuable

edit @ above : YES

Secretive Swarm
Incognito Icicles
Concealed Coulombs
Sly Spookies
Clandestine Creeps
Artful Avians
Hidden Hedges
Private Plainness
Disguised Dirt
Masked Metals
Discrete Drakes
Enigmatic Embers
Wet Waldo
Silent Psions
Furtive (BAN ME PLEASE)
STEALTH FISTS

Had to.

Thing about Rock is that, by the numbers, it's the most super effective attack type. SE on 4 things, only two resists. If there was a pokemon that was simultaneously every type, it'd only be weak to rock. So in this meta, I'd either stick to plain SR, or I'd use more as a way to combat stuff my team is weak to, like if too many of my members are walled by Ferrothorn, use Infernape to set rocks and what not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)