1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Stupidity Renamed

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by Aeolus, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

so, most of the time when I give a "Stupidity" infraction... I get a response saying "oh sorry about that, but you didn't have to call me stupid."

And today I decided that I agree and that it is unprofessional. After talking about it in #insidescoop... the 2 point infraction was renamed "General Misconduct"
  2. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I got those too, especially back in the days when we didn't have Read the Rules and Lurk More...basically it was either "you insulted someone", "you advertised" or "you're stupid".

Good job.
  3. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

this is good
  4. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

I disagree. I think this is a pussification of the Smogon authority. If someone acts stupid, it's our obligation to tell them so.
  5. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

"Pussification" would imply that either the policy or the severity of the punishment were weakened. This is definitely not the case.

The problem being corrected is that the infraction, in its former state, implied a certain inflammatory judgment call. Granted, the call isn't always *wrong*, but it may impede reasonable discussion and/or conclusions, which should always be the desired result.
  6. DM

But some people aren't worth that. And if they're new and don't know any better, giving them a Stupidity infraction might hurt their efeelings (oh noes) but they'll either shape up or ship out.

Quality over quantity.
  7. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I just don't see how it hurts. If I think people are just being retarded, I usually spell that out in the infraction message :/
  8. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I'm sorry, but this was more of an announcement than a discussion.

This isn't about going soft or being a pussy... I'm not sure how you could get that impression DM; it is a simple name change and not a diminishing of the punishment. I can't think of a legitimate reason to dissent... there just isn't one. Nothing is lost by showing a minimal level of respect to our users while punishing them. If chaos disagrees, great, it is his forum, he can change it back to Stupidity... but I personally feel this is incomparably better.
  9. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

no, I like this change.

I rarely gave a stupidity infraction, mostly for that reason.
  10. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I agree with this change, but I dont like this post at all man.. It kinda sounds like you are saying that our opinions dont matter when it comes to the running of this forum..

Have a nice day.
  11. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

yeh the first line of that post was a bit condescending dude
  12. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The problem comes up where some of us who give really large number of infractions, and a lot of them are Stupidity as most idiots are repeat offenders. Then our PM boxes are flooded with 'y u call me stupid asshole1111!!!!!', and to be honest, I don't like called being an asshole, even if it was by the most retarded person in the world.

PS: Aeolus, yeah that was condescending.
  13. DM

Sounds like the kind of person I really don't care too much to have posting on these forums.
  14. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

while i largely agree, that doesn't really solve anything. for one it's still a lot of horseshit to wade through in our pm boxes, and second we *are* actually trying to help people no matter how annoying they are
  15. DM

I suppose that since I never deal with the amount of shit you guys do over in the pokeforums, I should concede this.
  16. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag

I really didn't mean to be condesceding, but it definitely looks that way when I read it over. I sincerely apologize. I value the opinions of the staff immensely, which is why we had an extensive discussion about this in #insidescoop before any changes were made.
  17. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

it's all good, chum =)
  18. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

i agree with the name change. dm, i dont see how you find this "pussification": we still apply the infractions, the only difference is instead of

Infraction received: Stupidity
    [a long message about why you fucked up]

in your mail box you get

Infraction received: General Misconduct
    [a long message about why you fucked up]

the same amount of "we are gonna put you down if you mess up" attitude still applies; however having "stupidity" in a line and having "general misconduct" in a line is the difference between a response that says "oh ok sorry dude ill shape up" or "fuck you guys im not stupid"

there is no reason to be confrontational when dealing with people. while its nice to vent about shit, its also nice to take a walk or nice to get a blowjob. being confrontational just leads to more arguments and gives us a bad rep. considering it takes the same amount of infractions to ban someone either way, i dont see why picking fights with people is a good idea.

(also yeah, its good to not ignore insidescoopers' opinions...)
  19. DM

Yeah, fair enough bro. I definitely see where you guys are coming from on this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)