Submit-an-Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread was created for anyone to submit new ideas for Pokémon abilities that could possibly be implemented in future custom Pokémon (like Syclant and Revanankh) or proposed for existing Pokémon that have only 1 single ability (like Pikachu, Weavile, and Gyarados) instead of 2.

Before I begin with some submissions of my own, I'd like to have a word about the Create-A-Pokémon Project section. I saw the Create-A-Pokémon project and wanted to join in with many submissions of my own, though I read the rules and found them to be far too restrictive in terms of actually submitting an idea for a new Pokémon, and too biased towards competitive play for my tastes. Because of this, I'm going to remain silent for now in terms of submitting my ideas of new Pokémon (which, though mostly consisting of not fully evolved Pokémon, include several ideas of Pokémon that fall within the base stat total range of 500-600, with many of them evolving from some of my other custom Pokémon, and some of them evolving from existing Pokémon such as Eevee and Chimecho) until I know whether it's OK or not for me to submit my ideas here without having to worry about being reprimanded in some way (including, say, being banned from the community) for violating any of the rules. If it isn't OK, then I'd like to know where I can submit my Pokémon ideas.

Ahem, enough ranting. Here are some of my ability submissions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleanse: Damaging attacks and abilities from all Pokémon on the field (including this Pokémon and its teammate, if available) that have a chance of inflicting a secondary effect (including, but not restricted to, flinching from Bite and Air Slash, stat boosts from Ancient Power and Charge Beam, stat drops from Rock Smash and Shadow Ball, and status ailments from moves such as Flamethrower or Poison Jab, or abilities such as Static and Cute Charm, etc.), have absolutely no chance of inflicting that secondary effect. (Developed as a counter to Pokémon with the Serene Grace ability such as Togekiss.)

Demoralize: When this Pokémon enters the field, the Special Attack of the opponent's Pokémon (1 in Single Battles, 2 in Double Battles) drops by 1 level (similar to how Intimidate works).

Ferocity: When this Pokémon is sent out, its Attack and Special Attack both rise by 2 levels. However, during the end of each turn (except if it was just recently sent out), the Attack and Special Attack of this Pokémon both drop by 1 level. Cannot be suppressed by Worry Seed, but can be Skill Swapped or suppressed with Gastro Acid.

Fortitude: Whenever this Pokémon is dealt a potential 1HKO, if its HP is full, it'll survive with 1 HP instead of being 1HKOed (much like how a Focus Sash works). Unlike a Focus Sash, this ability can be reused over and over again in the same battle, since it'll almost always activate "whenever" this Pokémon has full HP.

Initiative: During the 1st turn that this Pokémon can make its move (including when it was just swapped into battle), this Pokémon can attack 1st regardless of the speed of all Pokémon on the field. The speed boost is equivalent to one gained from using a Quick Claw or Custap Berry, so Pokémon using increased priority moves (or faster Pokémon that likewise have this ability) can still outspeed this Pokémon (unless it uses increased priority moves of its own of course). This ability ignores Trick Room, Lagging Tail, etc.

Neutralize: As long as this Pokémon remains on the field, the effects of the abilities of all other Pokémon on the field are suppressed (including abilities that are triggered once the user is sent out onto the field like Intimidate and Sand Stream). This ability has priority over all other abilities (so that if this Pokémon and another Pokémon with, say, Intimidate are both sent out at the same time, then this ability would activate before, and suppress, Intimidate, even if the Pokémon with Intimidate is faster). This ability cannot suppress itself, even if more than 1 Pokémon with the ability is on the field.

Note: if this Pokémon's ability is suppressed by moves like Gastro Acid or Worry Seed, then the abilities of all other Pokémon will once again start to function normally (though abilities like Intimidate or Sand Stream will not activate immediately since those times in which they are triggered have long passed).

As soon as it's sent out, a message will appear saying, "<Pokémon's name> is suppressing all other Pokémon's abilities with Neutralize."

Oversoul: The lower this Pokémon's HP is, the stronger all of its attacks become.

Sand Body: Not only is this Pokémon immune to the damaging effects of the Sandstorm weather condition, it heals a number of HP per turn that's equal to 1/16th of its max HP during a Sandstorm. (Is similar to how Ice Body works.)

Versatile: This Pokémon is treated as if it has STAB with all of its attacks regardless of whether or not the Pokémon and the attack are both of the same Type. For example, a Fire-Type Pokémon with this ability would normally do as much damage with Flamethrower as it would do with Thunderbolt (whom both have a power of 95).

Not really my idea, but is currently 1 of Syclant's 2 abilities, and is worth mentioning:

Mountaineer: This Pokémon is immune to Rock-Type attacks (including Stealth Rock) while it's switching in.

I may update this post if another member or I have some new ideas for abilities.

A lot of those seem very broken. Especially Cleanse, Versatile, Initiative, and Neutralize. The point is to make Pokemon that are in OU, not uber. A Pokemon that ignores all other traits is broken, no matter how you look at it.

Ferocity: When this Pokémon is sent out, its Attack and Special Attack both rise by 2 levels. However, during the end of each turn (except if it was just recently sent out), the Attack and Special Attack of this Pokémon both drop by 1 level. Cannot be suppressed by Worry Seed, but can be Skill Swapped or suppressed with Gastro Acid.
That is probably the most broken thing ever, it's like having choice specs and choice band but having an extra stage boost and freedom to choose moves.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
right sorry to say this but you are kinda in the wrong place, you may submit ideas for new abilitys in the apropiate thread for the pokemon, submiting abilitys outside that thread does not help this progect, so i expect this thread will be locked.

However you have not just said lets submit abilitys, or started submiting your own pokemon without reading the rules, this is good. I would like to inform you that you may not submit finished pokemon anywhere in the CaP forum, nor anywere else on smogon, you may vote in the polls and try to direct them to your idea but dot not be supprised if it does not work, you may submit finished art in the art thread, but only if it fits with the type that we have chosen. We only make pokemon by votes here.

Everyone else the ability is not the only thing that makes a pokemon broken, Huge power on regigias would be broken but not on medicham, dont say "this ability is broken".

This thread was created for anyone to submit new ideas for Pokémon abilities that could possibly be implemented in future custom Pokémon (like Syclant and Revanankh) or proposed for existing Pokémon that have only 1 single ability (like Pikachu, Weavile, and Gyarados) instead of 2.

Before I begin with some submissions of my own, I'd like to have a word about the Create-A-Pokémon Project section. I saw the Create-A-Pokémon project and wanted to join in with many submissions of my own, though I read the rules and found them to be far too restrictive in terms of actually submitting an idea for a new Pokémon, and too biased towards competitive play for my tastes. Because of this, I'm going to remain silent for now in terms of submitting my ideas of new Pokémon (which, though mostly consisting of not fully evolved Pokémon, include several ideas of Pokémon that fall within the base stat total range of 500-600, with many of them evolving from some of my other custom Pokémon, and some of them evolving from existing Pokémon such as Eevee and Chimecho) until I know whether it's OK or not for me to submit my ideas here without having to worry about being reprimanded in some way (including, say, being banned from the community) for violating any of the rules. If it isn't OK, then I'd like to know where I can submit my Pokémon ideas.

Ahem, enough ranting. Here are some of my ability submissions:

Cleanse: Damaging attacks and abilities from all Pokémon on the field (including this Pokémon and its teammate, if available) that have a chance of inflicting a secondary effect (including, but not restricted to, flinching from Bite and Air Slash, stat boosts from Ancient Power and Charge Beam, stat drops from Rock Smash and Shadow Ball, and status ailments from moves such as Flamethrower or Poison Jab, or abilities such as Static and Cute Charm, etc.), have absolutely no chance of inflicting that secondary effect. (Developed as a counter to Pokémon with the Serene Grace ability such as Togekiss.)
sounds good

Demoralize: When this Pokémon enters the field, the Special Attack of the opponent's Pokémon (1 in Single Battles, 2 in Double Battles) drops by 1 level (similar to how Intimidate works).
good too

This ability is broken as Garchomp. If Nintendo ever makes an ability like this, they should give it to a Pokemon like Ledian, seriously.

Fortitude: Whenever this Pokémon is dealt a potential 1HKO, if its HP is full, it'll survive with 1 HP instead of being 1HKOed (much like how a Focus Sash works). Unlike a Focus Sash, this ability can be reused over and over again in the same battle, since it'll almost always activate "whenever" this Pokémon has full HP.

Initiative: During the 1st turn that this Pokémon can make its move (including when it was just swapped into battle), this Pokémon can attack 1st regardless of the speed of all Pokémon on the field. The speed boost is equivalent to one gained from using a Quick Claw or Custap Berry, so Pokémon using increased priority moves (or faster Pokémon that likewise have this ability) can still outspeed this Pokémon (unless it uses increased priority moves of its own of course). This ability ignores Trick Room, Lagging Tail, etc.
Might as well turn every item's use to an ability...

Neutralize: As long as this Pokémon remains on the field, the effects of the abilities of all other Pokémon on the field are suppressed (including abilities that are triggered once the user is sent out onto the field like Intimidate and Sand Stream). This ability has priority over all other abilities (so that if this Pokémon and another Pokémon with, say, Intimidate are both sent out at the same time, then this ability would activate before, and suppress, Intimidate, even if the Pokémon with Intimidate is faster). This ability cannot suppress itself, even if more than 1 Pokémon with the ability is on the field.
This one's ok since this is similar to the ability Unaware

Note: if this Pokémon's ability is suppressed by moves like Gastro Acid or Worry Seed, then the abilities of all other Pokémon will once again start to function normally (though abilities like Intimidate or Sand Stream will not activate immediately since those times in which they are triggered have long passed).

As soon as it's sent out, a message will appear saying, "<Pokémon's name> is suppressing all other Pokémon's abilities with Neutralize."

Oversoul: The lower this Pokémon's HP is, the stronger all of its attacks become.
How strong are we talking about?

Sand Body: Not only is this Pokémon immune to the damaging effects of the Sandstorm weather condition, it heals a number of HP per turn that's equal to 1/16th of its max HP during a Sandstorm. (Is similar to how Ice Body works.)
Good, I guess.

Versatile: This Pokémon is treated as if it has STAB with all of its attacks regardless of whether or not the Pokémon and the attack are both of the same Type. For example, a Fire-Type Pokémon with this ability would normally do as much damage with Flamethrower as it would do with Thunderbolt (whom both have a power of 95).
Broken. Unless again, give it to a Pokemon like Luvdisc.

Not really my idea, but is currently 1 of Syclant's 2 abilities, and is worth mentioning:

Mountaineer: This Pokémon is immune to Rock-Type attacks (including Stealth Rock) while it's switching in.

I may update this post if another member or I have some new ideas for abilities.

Im not english, so idk a good name for it, but it would be like when we put wood in the fire(something like incinerate, like a burning, and would boost speed/another stat and abosb fire attacks/get inst burned with them

have u even got clearance on this topic
I honestly don't know (which was why I was even asking in my original post). :(
That is probably the most broken thing ever, it's like having choice specs and choice band but having an extra stage boost and freedom to choose moves.
Well, I originally had an idea for a hindering ability (that worked sort of like this one here, though without the stat boosts) that would fit with a Pokémon with around Slaking's base stat total, though it was later dropped in favor of an ability that would be applied to Pokémon with more UU stats (like Azumarill and Medicham, whom, despite what their base stats might suggest, actually pack quite a punch thanks to Pure Power and Huge Power) could be exploited by some innovative players (like a Ferocity/Psych Up combo).
right sorry to say this but you are kinda in the wrong place, you may submit ideas for new abilitys in the apropiate thread for the pokemon, submiting abilitys outside that thread does not help this progect, so i expect this thread will be locked.
Not to be rude or anything, but where is this appropriate thread that you speak of? I mean, these forums ARE a pretty big place, so it could be easy for me to miss this proper thread.

Also, I'd rather like this topic to be moved instead of merely being locked (I'd even beg for it to be honest), especially since, if it is locked, then I'd then have to copy and paste this topic somewhere else.
However you have not just said lets submit abilitys, or started submiting your own pokemon without reading the rules, this is good. I would like to inform you that you may not submit finished pokemon anywhere in the CaP forum, nor anywere else on smogon, you may vote in the polls and try to direct them to your idea but dot not be supprised if it does not work, you may submit finished art in the art thread, but only if it fits with the type that we have chosen. We only make pokemon by votes here.
Well, that stinks! How were the ideas for Syclant and Revanankh submitted before they were later approved as successes if we're not allowed to submit our own ideas for new Pokémon here on Smogon?
Everyone else the ability is not the only thing that makes a pokemon broken, Huge power on regigias would be broken but not on medicham, dont say "this ability is broken".
So true. For example, the reason why Slaking and Regigigas aren't considered as ubers, despite having base stat totals that rival the vast majority of ubers, is because of their hindering abilities (Truant and Slow Start respectively), while the reason why Shedinja has only a single HP and mediocre-to-poor stats everywhere else is because of the fact that its Wonder Guard ability has to be the most overpowered ability ever created in my opinion.
Blu said:
How strong are we talking about?
I don't know. Maybe up to 50% stronger when at the brink of death?
Pombo said:
Im not english, so idk a good name for it, but it would be like when we put wood in the fire(something like incinerate, like a burning, and would boost speed/another stat and abosb fire attacks/get inst burned with them
Sounds sort of like the Flash Fire ability if you ask me, though boosting a different stat like speed isn't a bad idea. Hmm, how does something like Fuel Drive sound for an ability that's sort of like the Motor Drive ability, but absorbs Fire Type attacks instead of Electric Type attacks?

Yeah GT, like this.... liked this idea? ( just though, if we put that on the new poke, he wouldnt be able to be burned =P)

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not to be rude or anything, but where is this appropriate thread that you speak of? I mean, these forums ARE a pretty big place, so it could be easy for me to miss this proper thread.
Well in each CaP part there is a ability poll, you should suggest abilitys for that specific pokemon in the thread before the ability poll.

Also, I'd rather like this topic to be moved instead of merely being locked (I'd even beg for it to be honest), especially since, if it is locked, then I'd then have to copy and paste this topic somewhere else.
Yea I can see you have put work into this thread, but haveing a list of possibel abilitys that are not attached to pokemon is not that usefull to CaP.

Well, that stinks! How were the ideas for Syclant and Revanankh submitted before they were later approved as successes if we're not allowed to submit our own ideas for new Pokémon here on Smogon?
The type was voted first, then each other part of the pokemon was voted on. We do not submit compleat pokemon for approval, we vote on each part of each pokemon.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You said you read the rules, but you obviously didn't understand them. This isn't a project for people to just throw out stuff like this. Contribute to the current project or go start your own somewhere else. But this isn't allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)